PDA

View Full Version : Video: Winter Reflections on gear

Raul Perez
03-17-2011, 07:50
Did a quick video on some of the lessons learned over this past winter as far as keeping certain extremities warm, stove usage on the snow, and a seemingly great idea's epic fail in the real world use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jof4hMzx8l4

Hope you enjoy,

Raul
(Water Monkey)

TheCheek
03-18-2011, 23:07
Thanks for posting the links when you get new videos. When you get out in may it would be good to take the camera like you did for some other hikes.

Raul Perez
03-18-2011, 23:41
Dont worry I plan on getting video and posting it. Doing an overnighter mid April to dial in my new gear for the 60 miler in May.... Yes I know my sig says 50 miler but based on the AT guide distance and the hike to the train station at the end its a bit over 60.

Croft
03-19-2011, 01:26
I'm going to try those reflective insoles you mentioned in your video. You may want to check out sheepskin insoles. I use them in my mukluks in the winter and love them. I got them from Steger in Ely, MN at http://www.mukluks.com . In my bag I sleep with wool socks and down booties. On single digit or colder nights, I zip my jacket around the footbox of my bag and it solves my cold feet problems. Good, informative video. Thanks!

Raul Perez
03-19-2011, 10:32
I'm going to try those reflective insoles you mentioned in your video. You may want to check out sheepskin insoles. I use them in my mukluks in the winter and love them. I got them from Steger in Ely, MN at http://www.mukluks.com . In my bag I sleep with wool socks and down booties. On single digit or colder nights, I zip my jacket around the footbox of my bag and it solves my cold feet problems. Good, informative video. Thanks!

I actually got the sheepskin insoles from 40below when I got the camp booties. I have been debating on switching them out with the stock CCF pads in there.

The CCF pads for the down socks is basically the 1/4" Gossamer Gear thinlight pad cut in the shape of a foot.

grayfox
03-19-2011, 12:51
Paul, thanks for all your advice and observations.

I wonder if your slippery bootie things are not meant to be vapor barriers. I think they would be fine in warmer temps to keep rain or wet grass from soaking your socks or shoes. But if they are indeed waterproof then they will tend to hold pespiration from your feet in and soak your socks. I think I would try them in cold weather over a light liner and inside a heavy wool sock or down bootie--this would keep the loft of insulating layers from getting wet and sapping heat fron your feet. Just a thought, grayfox

Sierra Echo
03-19-2011, 12:59
You should do a video on the correct way to pack a backpack.
And your so darn cute that if I ever come across you, I'm gonna pinch your cheeks!

Raul Perez
03-19-2011, 13:20
You should do a video on the correct way to pack a backpack.
And your so darn cute that if I ever come across you, I'm gonna pinch your cheeks!

Here you go... How I packed out last summer 2010:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNsKBqCHKeo

A lot has changed since then.

LMAO ok one pinch...

Sierra Echo
03-19-2011, 13:41
Here you go... How I packed out last summer 2010:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNsKBqCHKeo

A lot has changed since then.

LMAO ok one pinch...

That was interesting. What kind of pack do you have?

Alaskanhkr23
03-19-2011, 13:45
thanks for the info!!!!! but not know what your doing can kill you in the winter... but thanks for the nifo on the gloves.

STICK
03-20-2011, 19:31
Thanks for the reviews. I haven't gotten any down botties yet, but not cause I don't want any... :) more like there are lots of other things I want too... I will probably go with some of the Goose Feet if I ever do though.

As far as mitts, Javan Dempsey was making some nice looking Down mitts but not sure if he still is.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=42741

Wags
03-21-2011, 00:56
-blackrockgear has down mitts
-weight difference from the system you used that failed to the bootie from 40 below? -have you given thought to asking ben at goosefeet to use the toughtek sole?
-when you said your feet were cold did you have them in the goosefeet just bare? or did you size the goosefeet up a notch and wear your thick wool socks underneath them?

Raul Perez
03-21-2011, 08:09
-blackrockgear has down mitts
-weight difference from the system you used that failed to the bootie from 40 below? -have you given thought to asking ben at goosefeet to use the toughtek sole?
-when you said your feet were cold did you have them in the goosefeet just bare? or did you size the goosefeet up a notch and wear your thick wool socks underneath them?

Weight Difference:

- Bootie shells - 1.3oz with 2 CCF pads each

- 40 below camp booties - 10.6oz

difference = 9.3oz

Different Soles:

I held both the Dyneema X and the Toughtek in my hands (Ben sent me a sample). The toughtek still wouldnt provide the traction I would need for the snow. And to be honest I'm not sure the traction on the 40below will be sufficient for proper traction in the snow.

My main problem was the pad shifting all over the place when I sunk in the snow and on uneven terrain in the snow. Based on some initial testing this will not be the case with the 40below bootie.

Also, it is important to note that it wasn't just when the pad shifted that the cold penetrated the down socks. It was where ever the snow came in contact with the shell especially when my feet sank in the snow. The shell, down sock, and 2 pairs of thick wool socks weren't enough to stop the chill. And I tested this in mild winter conditions.... 27*F.

For the record... and I thought I was explicit in the video but you're not the first one to assume I use the goosefeet down socks after watching it so it bears repeating... I don't have the goosefeet down socks. I have Nunatak teanaway booties modified into down socks. Goosefeet down socks didnt exist when I acquired them.

That being said... no I use socks and the down socks almost always when in the trails. Sometimes I just dont switch out my damp sweaty socks in time after camp set up and my feet get a little chilled. Also, some have mentioned maybe my socks are too tight and they are not. They are quite loose fitting so I dont think there is a circulation problem. But once they get cold it takes some time to warm them up again. The tip with the CCF pads made a huge difference in the time it takes to warm up again.

The medium down socks I own have plenty of space in there to accomodate thick socks and multiple layers.

Ben's bootie shells are a great idea for spring & fall weather when you want down socks to stay toasty and rain or moist dew soaked ground is present. In the snow it was an epic failure. But I was testing it to it's limits for Ben. I am still testing his shells and plan on giving them another go mid April this year when I can get away from work.

Hope this helps,

Raul

Wags
03-21-2011, 21:32
it always does raul. you're on the cutting edge of the gear world, and i enjoy following what you're doing.

Raul Perez
03-21-2011, 22:13
I appreciate your support. I made a huge push the past 2 years to get my gear down to a weight where I was light but did not compromise my comfort.

I have one goodie on the way and I think I hit my comfort zone for 3 season.

Although it seems like I'm spending a huge amount of money I actually re-sold gear to cover most of the cost of any new gear. Biggest hit I took was like $60 on a new top quilt after re-selling gear.

Winter I'm close but I didn't get enough time out there this year to make any huge assessments. Work had me by the yams this season when they eliminated my support structure.

STICK
03-21-2011, 23:14
...I made a huge push the past 2 years to get my gear down to a weight where I was light but did not compromise my comfort...

That's what it's all about right there.

I am doing the same, but just a tad farther behind you. While I feel like I am light and comfy now, there are a few more items that will make it just a little lighter and funny enough, maybe just a little more comfy...

Congrats on your success!

Wags
03-22-2011, 00:29
stick just told my story as well...

Wags
03-22-2011, 00:33
i've dropped pretty close to 5 pounds in the past 2 years. i'm near 10 i think. i need to reweigh everything. i know when i bought my scale i immediately got rid of a bunch of crap and ordered some cuben stuff sacks :D

LIhikers
03-22-2011, 01:24
Want warm feet in your sleeping bag?
Boil up a quart of water and put it into a nalgene bottle and then put the bottle into the foot box of your bag. Not only will it keep your feet warm but you'll have water that's still liquid in the morning.