PDA

View Full Version : GSNP Section Hike

mmais68569
03-17-2011, 17:51
Two of use are planning a section hike thru the Smokies the last week of April or first week of May. I know we need permits to stay at the shelters but what do you think about carrying a tent just in case of a full shelter. We will not be starting 50 miles either side so no thru hiker privileges.

Mike (Mr. Mean)

royalusa
03-17-2011, 18:08
I would recommend carrying a tent. No guarantee that the shelter will not be full and you will need to tent, although non-thru-hikers have priority for shelter space and thru-hikers are to give up their space... not sure if that always happens in reality.

The sign at the entrance of the park states: "THRU HIKER ALERT: Non thru-hikers have priority for shelter space. You must give up space to permit holders, no matter when they arrive at the shelter." (their bold and underline...not mine)

royalusa
03-17-2011, 18:13
Picture of Thru-Hiker Alert mentioned in above post.

SmokeEater
03-18-2011, 09:23
I hiked this section last year. We got our reservations for each shelter. There was a couple shelters that was over crowded with people that didnt have reservations. Im not going to tell anyone to get out so we just moved on. Would rather tent than stay in shelter anyways. Always bring some type of shelter in case of bad weather.

fredmugs
03-18-2011, 11:47
I would recommend carrying a tent. No guarantee that the shelter will not be full and you will need to tent, although non-thru-hikers have priority for shelter space and thru-hikers are to give up their space... not sure if that always happens in reality.

The sign at the entrance of the park states: "THRU HIKER ALERT: Non thru-hikers have priority for shelter space. You must give up space to permit holders, no matter when they arrive at the shelter." (their bold and underline...not mine)

Another reason to declare myself a thru hiker.

wornoutboots
03-18-2011, 12:12
I would bring a tent s well. if you're lucky you reach a crowded shelter & have to camp. With so many people in them that time of the year, you bound to get minimal sleep.

Declare yourself a thru hiker?? interesting, how can they check? not condoning it, but it sure alieviates the mileage/reservation restricitons if you want to hike thru the whole park.

Blissful
03-18-2011, 18:25
Off season, people were tenting with empty shelters. But this is thru hiking season and the ridge runners are out with their clipboards. I'd stay legal and stay at the shelters you are reserved for. But you can bring a tarp for emergency use

gollwoods
03-27-2011, 10:49
what space is available to tent in the event of a full shelter at Mt collins if any?

Pedaling Fool
03-27-2011, 16:49
what space is available to tent in the event of a full shelter at Mt collins if any?
I don't remember specifics of camping at the shelters through GSMNP, but I know I've tented at nearly all of them, including Mt Collins, with no problems.

Maple_Sky
03-27-2011, 20:41
Did you already reserve your shelter space? I did the Smokies section last July; I booked a month in advance and the volunteer I spoke with on the phone said I was cutting it close... people usually book far in advance, it seems. I would bring a tent, as the reservation system is not really set in stone; you can just tent at a shelter that's "full."

fredmugs
03-28-2011, 07:55
I am a dawn to dusk hiker and do not want to be constrained by reservations. I also have had several trips through there shot down when the person I was going to shuttle with bailed on me at the last moment. I need to knock this section out to give me a continuous line from Springer into the Whites. I have already hiked in the Smokies with my daugheters - I don't need to smell the roses on this one.

Stupid rules with an easy way to avoid them isn't going to bother my conscience one bit.