PDA

View Full Version : Where is everyone headed this weekend?

Sierra Echo
03-17-2011, 18:23
Make me jealous with the awesome hikes you have planned. I was originally going to do trail maintenance with the GATC but I'm not unable to do so. I went to the Dr. today with what I thought was an ear infection but it turns out that I have strep throat BAD. My throat looks so bad that they even took an extra swab to send to the lab. :eek: :mad: :(

Blissful
03-17-2011, 18:36
I'll be at my computer writing a book for a publisher and possible contract. Gotta work sometime to play later....

Blissful
03-17-2011, 18:36
Make me jealous with the awesome hikes you have planned. I was originally going to do trail maintenance with the GATC but I'm not unable to do so. I went to the Dr. today with what I thought was an ear infection but it turns out that I have strep throat BAD. My throat looks so bad that they even took an extra swab to send to the lab. :eek: :mad: :(

Hope you feel better soon.

Ladytrekker
03-17-2011, 18:43
Saturday I am doing a 3 hour orienteering course and on Sunday I am canoeing and off road biking. Training for my first adventure race in which I am excited and scared about.

double j
03-17-2011, 18:43
yup me to ill be working the weekend but monday i might go from carvers gap to iron mt. gap for a day hike

Tenderheart
03-17-2011, 18:56
I went to the Dr. today with what I thought was an ear infection but it turns out that I have strep throat BAD. My throat looks so bad that they even took an extra swab to send to the lab. :eek: :mad: :(

I used to get strept all the time when I was a young man. Turns out the first love of my life was a carrier. She broke my heart, and I mean broke my heart, while I was in Germany in the army. But, I haven't had strept throat since. You know what they say about your first flame. It never completely burns out. Take your medicine and get well.

litefoot 2000

Namaste
03-17-2011, 19:11
You know what they say about your first flame. It never completely burns out. litefoot 2000

So so true....I'm living that now.

I gotta visit family in NYC on Saturday but I'm just planning on hiking up to Leroy Smith shelter on Sunday to check out the springs and see how the shelter is doing after the long rough winter. Weather is supposed to be great. Sorry for those of you who won't be able to get out but it's only March:).

johnnybgood
03-17-2011, 19:16
Making the trip to Roanoke to hike McAfee Knob with wife and daughter on Saturday.

Hipneck
03-17-2011, 19:18
I will be leading a trail maintenance trip in the Cohutta Wilderness (Beech Bottom to Jacks River and then working down stream on the Jacks River).

mountain squid
03-17-2011, 19:31
Trail Maintenance on Saturday. Anyone interested in hiking up the Backbone Rock Trail to the AT? It should be fun . . .

Get Well, Sierra Echo!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick005.gif

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Maple_Sky
03-17-2011, 20:45
I'm taking two of my friends who have never been backpacking before to Frozenhead State Park here in TN (which you drive past Brushy Mountain penitentiary to get to... ha). Any advice on how to get them hooked? I'm keeping the mileage low, picking a beautiful campsite with lots of points of interest, and bringing something good for dinner.

I'm also trying out all my gear for this summer's section hike! We're going to have a high of 70 and a low of 55--beautiful!

Bucherm
03-17-2011, 20:48
I'm just going to walk around Bull Run tomorrow. We've been on a 12-on/12-off schedule at work since the earthquake in Japan ...which means I'll be needing to run errands on Saturday and Sunday.

The Counselor
03-17-2011, 21:09
Leaving Sunday for a two night, three day, point to point shakedown hike on the Pinhoti Trail. My buddy and I are prepping for our AT section hike in May. Gonna do 30 miles, hang betwixt the trees and be sure we have our packs the way we want them. I've only got a single overnight trip in my repetoire so I am really looking forward to it.

map man
03-17-2011, 21:42
I don't have anything lined up this weekend but how about I tell you about my one big hiking trip planned for this year? I'm going to Wyoming in August. I'll spend three or four days doing day hikes in Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone to get acclimated to altitude while staying in a "tent cabin" in Grand Teton. Then I'll backpack for seven or eight days in the Wind River Range with a couple buddies. I'm really fired up about it!

SassyWindsor
03-17-2011, 23:47
I will be attending a social tea at the Grosvenor House, London.

TheChop
03-17-2011, 23:49
Going nowhere this weekend. On Monday I drive to Athens, GA and on Wednesday morning I get dumped at Springer!

Elder
03-17-2011, 23:59
Don't forget the Dahlonega Trail Fest starts tomorrow the 18th!

NYRGTO
03-18-2011, 00:22
Heading down to Amicalola Lodge this weekend and starting my thru on Wednesday!

valiweva
03-18-2011, 06:11
chillin! leaving tuesday morning on amtrack and starting my hike on thursday

Egads
03-18-2011, 06:28
heading home

mweinstone
03-18-2011, 06:41
where is everyone going to hike this weekend/

to hell in a handbasket?

just an educated guess.

Bianchi Veloce
03-18-2011, 08:41
Benton MacKaye Trail in GSMNP.

JaxHiker
03-18-2011, 09:20
I'll be out at the St Johns River Cleanup Saturday morning for a few hours. After that I'm southward bound to meet some friends for a little hiking along the Florida Trail through the Ocala Natl Forest. Should be a good weekend.

Sierra Echo
03-18-2011, 10:11
There are indeed a lot of good plans! All ive done is sleep. I did go to wally world this morning to get some food. Its important that I don't run out of cheez-its! :) Its going to be in the 70s all weekend. Why couldn't I have gotten sick on Monday?

Smile
03-18-2011, 10:17
Hope you feel better woman! :)

Hikerhead
03-18-2011, 10:36
Making the trip to Roanoke to hike McAfee Knob with wife and daughter on Saturday.

Hey, hope we'll run into you. We should start hiking from 311 around 9 or so heading towards Daleville.

SwitchbackVT
03-18-2011, 11:05
Moving out of my apartment, saying goodbye to friends and family, then driving to Georgia. I'll be on Springer Mountain one week from today, heading to Maine baby!!:eek::banana:D

endubyu
03-18-2011, 11:06
Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama

chelko
03-18-2011, 12:09
Taking a group of 6 scouts to Mt Rogers to do the AT-Pine Mountain loop and see the ponies.

Ladytrekker
03-18-2011, 12:14
I'll be out at the St Johns River Cleanup Saturday morning for a few hours. After that I'm southward bound to meet some friends for a little hiking along the Florida Trail through the Ocala Natl Forest. Should be a good weekend.

Looking forward to reading your take on that section of the FT. I have hiked from Hopkins to Juniper but have not gone north. Are you leaving cars at both ends.

I am going to hike Torreya on the 26th and 27th heard that it is beautiful over there. I have sectioned about 50 miles of the FT since January just a weekend warrior no lottery yet.

Hope you have a great hike.

www.meetup.com/florida-trekkers (http://www.meetup.com/florida-trekkers)

Cookerhiker
03-18-2011, 12:30

Ah bummer! Sorry! Take care.

I'm hoping to catch the full moon Sat. night on top of the bridge at Natural Bridge SP (http://parks.ky.gov/findparks/resortparks/nb/). Supposed to be a good one.

Cookerhiker
03-18-2011, 12:34
... Any advice on how to get them hooked? I'm keeping the mileage low, picking a beautiful campsite with lots of points of interest, and bringing something good for dinner..

The good weather helps.

How about a bottle of wine with dinner?

JaxHiker
03-18-2011, 13:06
Looking forward to reading your take on that section of the FT. I have hiked from Hopkins to Juniper but have not gone north. Are you leaving cars at both ends.

I am going to hike Torreya on the 26th and 27th heard that it is beautiful over there. I have sectioned about 50 miles of the FT since January just a weekend warrior no lottery yet.

Hope you have a great hike.

www.meetup.com/florida-trekkers (http://www.meetup.com/florida-trekkers)

I'm looking forward to it. I like the section between Alexander and Juniper. Much different imho from Juniper to Hopkins. I'm curious what the Hopkins to Salt Springs section is like. The guys I'm hiking with are starting at Alexander today so their car will be there. Then they'll meet up tomorrow with the rest of the group and hike from Juniper to Hopkins. I'll roll in tomorrow after the cleanup and head to Salt Springs where another friend that lives in the area will shuttle me from SS back to Hopkins. Sunday we'll hike to my truck and I'll take them back to Alexander.

I just finished charging up both batteries for the video camera. Hopefully I'll have some good video and plenty of pics to share.

You've done a good bit this year already. Another friend and I have been talking about hitting the Suwanee picking up where we left off when we hiked from Olustee to Deep Creek. Might try to squeeze it in next month. It would be a good lead in before hitting the AT again in May.

Torreya looks nice. Might have to head west and start checking out more of that area.

I call dibs on the lotto. ;)

Sierra, hope you feel better. I took 3 days off work last week and still can't hear much in my right ear. I guess I should go to the Dr. :D

Bare Bear
03-18-2011, 13:34
I hiked last weekend so that I would have this weekend for Spring Break , beach and concerts. Its tough in Fl this time of year....trying to decide which band to go hear while you drink adult beverages.

paistes5
03-18-2011, 13:51
Thought about going to Bankhead forest but can't this weekend. Hopefully next weekend will be just as nice and I can get out.

buff_jeff
03-18-2011, 14:02
Well, Pitt plays on Saturday so I'm not going anywhere...but Sunday I'm going to do some trail work in PA.

AegisIII
03-18-2011, 20:33
I'll probably be somewhere in Tuscarora State Forest, but I haven't fully made up my mind as to just where to hike.

Maple_Sky
03-18-2011, 20:46
The good weather helps.

How about a bottle of wine with dinner?

Great idea! ... now is it red or white with Spam? Perhaps just Boone's Farm and a Moonpie :)

Nah, seriously, wine sounds great! I'm bringing an antipasto pasta salad (sounds redundant), so I'm guessing white?

mweinstone
03-18-2011, 21:32
this is a prime thread. it cannot be divided by itself even.a prime thread is one in witch no post points out spelling or goes off topic or gets rude. every post is realtime and not a bunch of pastings. very impressive.
you have allready taken the first steps to becoming the fith race.
thor
supreem comander of the asgaurd high fleet

Lone Wolf
03-18-2011, 21:40
takin' gypsy to gatlinburg on the harley and gettin' married in one of the them fine drive-thru chapels.

Cookerhiker
03-18-2011, 21:43
Great idea! ... now is it red or white with Spam? Perhaps just Boone's Farm and a Moonpie :)

Nah, seriously, wine sounds great! I'm bringing an antipasto pasta salad (sounds redundant), so I'm guessing white?

I think red but I'm far from an expert. I used to prefer white most of the time and still like it but red is considered healthier (antioxidents) and probably goes well with the salad.

FatMan
03-19-2011, 08:25
What a beautiful weekend. Arrived yesterday afternoon and walked the dogs from Grassy Gap to Woody and back. Pounded down a few beers and watched the games.

Heading out this morning for a walk to Justus Creek and back. And then heading down to Dahlonega for the afternoon. I suspect the trail will be very busy. It certainly was yesterday.

Newb
03-19-2011, 08:43
I'm just going to walk around Bull Run tomorrow. We've been on a 12-on/12-off schedule at work since the earthquake in Japan ...which means I'll be needing to run errands on Saturday and Sunday.

I'm gonna hike the Occaquan to bull Run and back

Sierra Echo
03-19-2011, 13:07
This is where I want to go:

http://vimeo.com/20218520

Its at the 1:21 mark.

erichkopp
03-19-2011, 13:45
I am going to hike Torreya on the 26th and 27th heard that it is beautiful over there.

Torreya has incredible hiking. It's a beautiful area. I just got back from camping and hiking the FT outside of White Springs, and it reminded me a lot of Torreya.

I'm supposed to run a trail half marathon tomorrow, but woke up without a voice this morning. Hopefully I don't start feeling sick too. Get better soon Sierra!

mountain squid
03-20-2011, 19:38
Yesterday turned out to be a perfect day for some trail work with the ASU Trail Crew. Despite the brutal climb on the Backbone Rock Trail to the AT (about 2.5 mi straight up) we were able to complete several rehabs of the existing trail. Here are some photos:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/6/9/2/dscn7699.jpg
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/6/9/2/dscn7701.jpg
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/6/9/2/dscn7705.jpg
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/6/9/2/dscn7707.jpg
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/6/9/2/dscn7711.jpg

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14493)

Sierra Echo
03-20-2011, 19:41
Those are some awesome pictures, Mtn Squid! Thanks for sharing!