PDA

View Full Version : Planning first AT hike. 2 man, 1 week trip.

Stevenh
03-17-2011, 19:43
My buddy and I are Leaving for the AT next week, we have the gear, and are experienced campers/day hikers.
We are from southwest Ohio and I'm looking for recommendations for most enjoyable/closest start point for the AT. We will be taking 1 car and then I'll do research on shuttle/bus trips back to the start point.(transportation tips welcome though).

We'd like to hike more of a forest/kind of hilly part. But anything that's not mostly open plains is best. (I'm not sure how much of the trail is flat plains, but I've seen video of southern parts of the trail being fairly open.

Also, I'm hopig to do without a portable stove, and would prefer to just have a campfire each night, and food that doesn't need cooked. I will need to boil water for Raman noodles. So my last question is, is it legal/against trail rules (in the section you recommend) to have a campfire outside of designated firepits/shelters?

Thanks in advance!

Cookerhiker
03-17-2011, 21:48
My buddy and I are Leaving for the AT next week, we have the gear, and are experienced campers/day hikers.
We are from southwest Ohio and I'm looking for recommendations for most enjoyable/closest start point for the AT. We will be taking 1 car and then I'll do research on shuttle/bus trips back to the start point.(transportation tips welcome though).

We'd like to hike more of a forest/kind of hilly part. But anything that's not mostly open plains is best. (I'm not sure how much of the trail is flat plains, but I've seen video of southern parts of the trail being fairly open.

Also, I'm hoping to do without a portable stove, and would prefer to just have a campfire each night, and food that doesn't need cooked. I will need to boil water for Raman noodles. So my last question is, is it legal/against trail rules (in the section you recommend) to have a campfire outside of designated firepits/shelters?

Thanks in advance!

From Cincinnati, the closest point of the AT for driving time is Davenport Gap, the north end of the Smokies (the closest point in miles is Newfound Gap but it takes longer to drive there because of Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and the traffic up 441). So a nice one-week hike is between Davenport Gap and Erwin if you can average a little less than 15 mpd (assuming 7 full hike days). If that's a tad too ambitious, try between Hot Springs & Erwin.

I hope your aversion to "open plains" doesn't also preclude the open areas atop balds. Most hikers really enjoy Snowbird, Max Patch, and Big Bald, all of which you'll pass over on this hike.

I don't know for sure about fires; think they're OK but hopefully someone more familiar with this stretch will chime in.

Have a great hike!

attroll
03-17-2011, 21:52
If you are day hikers then of the two choices that Cookerhiker mentioned I would do the Hot Springs to Erwin trip.

Blissful
03-17-2011, 21:54
Bring a stove. Cooking on campfires is nasty, imo. And hard to subsist only on Ramen. Having a nice hot meal is one of the finer pleasures of hiking, imo.

If you don't want the bald region (which is much more scenic then woods, imo) you might as well do the Smokies. But you need reservations pronto for the shelters

Press
03-17-2011, 22:36
How 'bout Rockfish Gap south to the James River or around there? in VA.

Stevenh
03-17-2011, 23:20
Thank you all for your quick replies.

Cookerhiker,
Your information was especially helpful, I believe our hike may be more like 5-6 days, and though we are in fairly good shape, we don't plan on rushing it, or to word it better, I have no idea how fast we'll end up moving, our main goal is to enjoy seeing some wildlife, and just relax and take in the sites. I've been looking at what you recommended ( Hot Springs to Erwin) And that could be about perfect I think.
I'm not familiar with balds (snowbird, and the others you mentioned). But that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see them! What I ment in my earlier post is that we'd just like to see some wilderness wildlife, birds, and hike through the woods some. If that section of trail includes wooded area and "plains" or grassy areas, that's fine by me! What are the areas atop balds like? And how much does that section of hike include them?

Regardless you have been very helpful, everyone else has been too. and I'm sure that is Probly where we end up going to :)

Thanks again

Stevenh
03-17-2011, 23:28
I almost forgot! What are the chances of me getting to erwin and finding a shuttle back to my car? Or what's my best option for getting back to it? Was Hoping not to have to get a cab or something. But if bus route/ shuttles aren't an option, I guess I could.

attroll
03-17-2011, 23:30
You might want to call Uncle Johnny's in Erwin and talk to them ahead of time about a shuttle.

Skid.
03-18-2011, 07:11
Another section I recommend to start out on is Southern Pa into Maryland. Fairly consistent grades, not too rocky. Well maintained, and you go thru a few state parks as well as will find decent shelters.
I also would recommend taking along a small stove. Building a fire each nite, then making sure it is completely out the next day is going to take a lot of time, and finding dry wood could be a challenge this time of year.

Cookerhiker
03-18-2011, 07:23
For transportation arrangements between Hot Springs & Erwin, consult the ATC shuttle list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%201-20-11%20_2_.pdf).

Starting at Hot Springs, you'll miss Max Patch & Snowbird but you will hike over Big Bald. Most of your hike though will be through forest. It's a very nice section. Going next week, you'll also meet thruhikers.

Have a nice hike.:)