PDA

View Full Version : What next??!!

modiyooch
03-17-2011, 21:18
For the last 30 years, I have been hiking the AT. I finally, finally finished last July. What do I do this season? My husband will kill me if I start another long distance goal.

Bags4266
03-17-2011, 21:25
John Muir Trail would come to my mind.

fiddlehead
03-17-2011, 21:26
Lots of trails out there.
Enjoy!
How about a vacation to Vegas for the husband while you go hike the JMT?

Pringles
03-17-2011, 21:30
Congratulations!

Wonderland Trail, Chilkoot Pass?

Maybe you'd like to go canoeing with your husband, or rafting, instead of hiking?

Pringles

LIhikers
03-17-2011, 21:31
What do I do this season?

Did you ever consider a bicycle touring trip?
Heck, you probably already own a lot of the equipment you'd need.
I've done a few bicycle trips and there's a lot of enjoyment to be had there!

Cookerhiker
03-17-2011, 21:36
How about the Long Trail in VT, or just the non-AT portion (170 miles)?

modiyooch
03-17-2011, 21:38
keep the ideas flowing, I need it.
Biking will not work for me.
I probably will end up back in VT eventuallyl (loved VT)
I considered Inca, but I don't think that I will make it there.
Have started the mt to sea trail in nc.

modiyooch
03-17-2011, 21:43
Congratulations!

Chilkoot Pass?

Pringles I think I'll pass on this one. I did get an invite to Mt. Whitney, though,

CrumbSnatcher
03-17-2011, 21:44
congrats!!!

FritztheCat
03-17-2011, 21:45
Congrats on finishing the AT! I was going to suggest the Mountain to Sea Trail but it looks like you're way ahead of me. :)

10-K
03-17-2011, 21:45
For the last 30 years, I have been hiking the AT. I finally, finally finished last July. What do I do this season? My husband will kill me if I start another long distance goal.

How about the BMT?

attroll
03-17-2011, 21:58
Have you ever considered another trail or bicycling. I am doing a long distance bike trip this spring because I don't have the time or money for another thru hike yet.

Blissful
03-17-2011, 21:59
My husband will kill me if I start another long distance goal.

If I even mention another LD hike, my hubby gets hostile. :D In fact he wants me to get a book contract soon so I have no choice but to stay home and write. I hate to tell him what I'm planning a few years from now when the big 5 0 hits.

Blissful
03-17-2011, 22:01
because I don't have the time or money for another thru hike yet.

But you just finished your thru hike a few months ago! :D:D

modiyooch
03-18-2011, 07:16
Maybe a long distance road trip starting with SD and WY. I drive a 'tent on wheels'.

Toli
03-18-2011, 07:25
Duncan Ridge Trail/AT loop... Only 60+ miles long, but will seem like a "long trail" Believe... BMT is deff an option...

sixguns01
03-18-2011, 07:30

New Husband!

peakbagger
03-18-2011, 07:35
I celebrated finishing the AT in sections by taking a trip to Southern NZ and doing the Milford and Routeburn tracks. I was solo and it was last minute, so I used guides but after seeing what resources were down there and the incredible number of trails in the area, all I would do is have someone get the permits and go self supported.

Ender
03-18-2011, 08:39
How about the Milford Track in New Zealand? It's considered one of the best hikes in the world, and it doesn't take more than 4 or 5 days. Expensive to get there though.

Or if you want to stay local, maybe explore all the other trails in the Smokies that aren't the AT?

BrianLe
03-18-2011, 13:27
"New Husband!"

Well, the male-to-female ratio on the long trails is heavily in your advantage if you want to go shopping ... :-)

Seriously, a key issue IMO is whether there's any activity that he would be willing to do with you that still satisfies your wanderlust. My wife is a great hiker and backpacker for limited distances. She just doesn't sleep well in the woods. So she set up a trip where we hiked quite a lot of distance this past fall, but slept every night in a hut or B&B or youth hostel. Definitely more expensive than the hobo lifestyle of the thru-hiker, but it got us both doing a fair bit of mileage together and was a lot of fun (and for me at least, quite cush, "luxurious" for ~backpacking).

Perhaps there's some middle ground for the two of you?

Alternatively, it might have to come down to separate vacations on occasion. You're way too young to think of becoming a full-time couch potato.

Bare Bear
03-18-2011, 13:33
Congratulations on your accomplishment. Talk to him and remind how cheap hiking between B&Bs are to Divorce.

modiyooch
03-20-2011, 19:24
I think there's some misunderstanding. My husband is a great supporter, active hiker, and encourager. It's just that 30 years has been a long time for one trail. We missed opportunities elsewhere because I was concentrating solely on the AT.

modiyooch
06-04-2011, 21:20
-Well I decided on driving cross country and hiking in CA with friends.
-Also, my two passions are running and the AT. Lately, I have been taking runs on the AT which I have never been able to do before because of the gear.
-biked 48 miles on the VA Creeper Trail.
-continued on the mt to sea
Life is Good.