PDA

View Full Version : REI Flash 50 - any with experience?

NCarolinaHiker
03-17-2011, 22:07
I've found a good deal on an REI Flash 50 on craigslist and am curious how they hold up. Spec wise it sounds great, I don't need anything more - provided it fits me.

Just curious if anybody here uses one and what their opinion is on them.

A friend of mine has a Flash 18 and a Flash 30, but I've never used them myself. He likes them both, though.

Thanks.

Hooch
03-17-2011, 22:25
If it's as well made as the Flash 65, you're in good shape. I used a Flash 65 for a couple years before I sold it and went with ULA packs. REI packs are pretty well made and well worth the money for them. They're really a good bargain in packs.

NCarolinaHiker
03-17-2011, 22:52
Thanks, Hooch. I'm hoping to try one on this week or early next. I appreciate your feedback.

bigcranky
03-18-2011, 08:02
The Flash series was updated in the last year or two. The previous version has a metal stay along (outside) the back, with a sliding system to adjust torso length -- my daughter has the women's version of this pack and LOVES it. Plenty of room inside for a light kit. The exterior pockets are not so great -- too small -- but there is a big compression pocket and you can add bungee cord to carry stuff on the front.

The new version has been changed, not sure it's as adjustable, but the pockets look better.

Penguin
03-18-2011, 15:15
I started PCT '07 with one and the hip belt tore off the thing at mile 650. After receiving a new one from REI via mail, I made it another 375 miles before that hipbelt started ripping off too. I would say no to anything that has an REI logo on it. Check out the Mountain Hardware Super Scrambler. It's 50 ltrs and I cut extra stuff off of mine and it now weigh in at 1 lb 14 ounces and has about 1500 miles on it, no problems.

Good pack not on the MH website anymore, but still at retail stores and on e-bay, new for just over $100

NCarolinaHiker
03-18-2011, 23:37
If it's been updated, I'm sure it's been after 2007. Thanks for the heads up, Penguin. I'm not big into REI gear, though I do like shopping there for the warranty alone.

Thanks, though.