PDA

View Full Version : I am an addict

paistes5
03-18-2011, 13:37
Hello, my name is David and I am an addict.

I am a complete noob to backpacking and this place is fueling my new found addiction. I have always camped and/or hiked and decided to finally bite the bullet and go backpacking. I've always wanted to but always put it off.

Well, after a ton of reading and research I became REI's new best friend along with a number of other places and got all of my gear. I've been out twice so far this year and can't seem to get enough. All I do is think about backpacking and where I can go next.

I'm addicted to this site and love all the input and humor. The advice is great and the experiences all of you share are wonderful.

I'm sure I'll ask some dumb noob questions from time to time, but I just wanted to say thanks for this wonderful resource and introduce myself.

Cabin Fever
03-18-2011, 13:40
:welcome

to the site and to the addict club. Researching more gear right now... (as usual).

Smile
03-18-2011, 13:45
Youre not alone here.....

Mountain Wildman
03-18-2011, 15:16
Welcome!!
You sound just like me a little over a year ago.

Two Tents
03-18-2011, 15:21
Yea! I feel all your pain. I have an outfitter or two on speed dial and USPS, FED EX, Ups ECT. are all book marked so I can track stuff fast. I know the UPS drivers by name. Sweet hobby-HUH?

paistes5
03-18-2011, 15:46
I used to race motorcycles and I thought that was addicting. This addiction is much worse. Thank goodness it's not as expensive. :D

d.o.c
03-18-2011, 15:49
whammmy getn ready to score my fix today and tomorow hopefully i wont be trailsick on sunday.. but welcome

zeus307
03-18-2011, 15:49
JOIN THE CLUB!!! and WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!! Nothing wrong with it, i to am an addict so to say. It's all good. Hike long and propser life, it is to short!!!

Many Walks
03-18-2011, 17:06
Yup, when the hiking bug bites all you can do is feed it.

blitz1
03-18-2011, 17:09
It's a great addiction to have, but also maybe one of the hardest for outsiders to understand, espeically when I go backpacking in the rain and still have a great time.

swantekkie
03-18-2011, 17:25
Its even better when you have nothing left to buy, so trips are even cheaper. Then you can spoil yourself and get something nice right before your trip.

swantekkie
03-18-2011, 17:31
It's a great addiction to have, but also maybe one of the hardest for outsiders to understand, espeically when I go backpacking in the rain and still have a great time.

I hear ya, last year some friends and i camped every tuesday throughout the winter. We called it MANCAMP, alot of people thought we were out of our minds when it was -15, but we had a blast every time. Nothing a nice fire and some whisky couldnt cure.

Blissful
03-18-2011, 20:30
I wish I could be down in GA with everyone headed north this year. :)

mweinstone
03-18-2011, 21:37
Hello, my name is David and I am an addict.

I am a complete noob to backpacking and this place is fueling my new found addiction. I have always camped and/or hiked and decided to finally bite the bullet and go backpacking. I've always wanted to but always put it off.

Well, after a ton of reading and research I became REI's new best friend along with a number of other places and got all of my gear. I've been out twice so far this year and can't seem to get enough. All I do is think about backpacking and where I can go next.

I'm addicted to this site and love all the input and humor. The advice is great and the experiences all of you share are wonderful.

I'm sure I'll ask some dumb noob questions from time to time, but I just wanted to say thanks for this wonderful resource and introduce myself.its why were here. matthewski 36 yrs . you have today. please pick up your promise coin at the door.

Grampie
03-19-2011, 10:18
Join the club. Most of the regular White Blazers are addicted. It get's worse if you thru-hike. Happy trails.:sun

paistes5
03-19-2011, 11:02
All I've been thinking about is how I can make a thru hike happen. Been doing tons of research and am working on getting rid of "stuff". I don't need it and that'll make the possibility become a reality.

LoneRidgeRunner
03-19-2011, 11:16
:welcome to whiteblaze and the addictive world of hiking ..At least this addiction is a healthy one.. I traded some very unhealthy addictions for this one...Enjoy every second in the outdoors!

LoneRidgeRunner
03-19-2011, 11:18
I'm sure I'll ask some dumb noob questions from time to time, but I just wanted to say thanks for this wonderful resource and introduce myself.

Buddy..The only dumb questions are those that you don't ask...Anyone says you asked a dumb question put that user on your ignore list because he or she is an idiot..