PDA

View Full Version : CT 2011 Gear List-Comments???

q-tip
03-18-2011, 13:46
Hey All:

Finished 1,000 mi. on the AT in Nov., Planing the CT for Late June-Aug. Any comments on gear list most appreciated.

Thanks Much,

Q-tip

Colorado Trail Gear List-1

Big Three: Wt./Oz. Wt./Lbs.

· GG Vapor Trail Pack w/ lid- 40.0
o Pack Cover- 3.8
o Tent-TT Contrail- 26.7
o Ground Cloth- 5.5
o Stakes (10)- 3.5
o Stuff Sack- 0.5
· WM 15 Degree Down Bag 45.0
o Stuff Sacks (2) 5.2
o Neo Air Mattress 16.0
o Suff Sack 0.5

Total Big Three: 148.4 9.28

Clothing (Carried)

· Mont Bell Mistral Parka- 7.2
· Mont Bell Dynamo Wind Pants- 3.0
· Marmot Pre-Cip Jacket- 15.5
· Capaline Med-Weight Sleep Shirt- 7.5
· Capaline Mid-Weight Sleep Leggings- 6.6
· Sleep Socks (1)- 2.9
· Hiking Socks (X-tra-1)- 2.8
· Sock Liners (2)- 1.8
· UA Hiking Leggings- 6.7
· Camp Crocs- 9.1
· Fleece Hat (1)- 1.7
· Fleece Gloves- 3.1
· Glove Liners- 1.1
· Garbage Bag (39 gal.) Rain Shirt- 2.1
· Garbage Bag (39 gal.) Rain Skirt- 1.8
· Plastic Hand Covers (3 pr.)- 0.5
· Extra Plastic Bags- 2.0
· Bandana (2) 2.4
· Running Hat- 3.0
· Baklava- 2.0
· Stuff Sack- 1.5
Total Clothing Carried: 85.7 5.36

Hygiene/Medical/Emergency Wt./Oz. Wt./Lbs.

· Tooth Brush-Toothpaste 2.0
· Ultraight Mirror- 2.0
· First Aid Kit- 1.3
o Medical Tape-
o Gauze-1 Roll-
o 3 Band Aids-
o 3 Alcohol Wipes-
o Tweezer-
· Toilet Paper- 2.0
· Hand Sanitizer- 1.0
· Vitamin I- 2.0
· Medications- 3.0
· Sun Screen- 1.0
· Lip Balm- 0.5
· Sun Glasses- 3.0
· Duct Tape- 1.0
· Emergency Kit- 1.3
o Needle-Thread-
o Safety Pins (4)-
o Tent-Pad Repair Kit-
· Bic Lighter (1)- 0.4
· Waterproof Matches (1 Box)- 0.3
· Spare Batteries- 1.6
· Pen-Paper- 0.5
· Petzl Head Lamp/Batteries 3.0
· Trail Maps- 14.0
· Stuff Sack- 0.8

Total H/M/E: 23.4 1.46

Cook System:

· Soto Stove/Case 3.3
· Fuel (8 oz)- 8.1
· Cook Pot- 4.8
· Spoon- 0.6
· Stuff Sack (Stove)- 0.8
· Stuff Sack (Food)- 1.6
· Bear Rope- 2.3
· Towel- 0.7
· Pot Stabilizer- 1.0
· Bic Lighter 0.4

Total Cook System: 23.6 1.48

Water Treatment:

· Steri Pen W/Batteries- 4.6
· Chemical Tabs (2 Bottles)- 2.2
· Water Bottle (1)- 6.2
· Camel Back Bladder (100 oz) Military- 9.4

Total Water Treatment: 22.4 1.40

Clothes Worn:

· Ex Officio Long Sleeve Shirt- 7.1
· Running Shorts- 3.2
· Hiking Socks- 2.8
· Sock Liners- 0.9
· Hiking Poles-Leki- 19.4
· Hiking Boots- 32.0
· Camera w/Batteries 6.6
· Camera Bag- 3.5
· Reading Glasses (1)- 1.3
· Knife/Whistle/Compass- 1.4
· Watch/chest Strap (Ht Rate Monitor)- 3.2
· Knee Braces- 6.1
· Pepper Spray (People!!!) 1.3

Total Clothes Worn: 56.8 3.55

Electronics:

· MP3/Headphones/Charger- 3.6
· Cell Phone/Charger- 4.2
Total Electronics: 7.8 0.49

Ditty Bag:
· Ditty Bag: 1.2
o Credit Cards (2)-
o Cash-
o Drivers License-
o Insurance Card-
o Phone Card-
o Extra Reading Glasses (1)- 1.3
o Emergency Numbers-

Total Ditty Bag: 2.5 0.16

Food/ Water:

Water Carried: 21.0
Food-5 Days-1.7lbs/day: 136.0

Total Food/Water: 157.0 9.81

Grand Totals:

Base Wt. In Pack: 313.8 19.61

WeightWorn: 56.8 3.55

Skin-Out Base Wt. 370.6 23.16

Total Base Weight: 470.8 29.43
(Pack+Food+Water)

Skin-Out Wt.Total: 527.6 32.98
(Base Pack/Worn/F-W)

300winmag
03-18-2011, 20:53
Good list of necessary items - except for the Crocs.

Hole-In-The-Hat
03-19-2011, 11:28
Hey Q-tip,

You might consider leaving the sleep shirt and pants (and the Crocs) at home to save a little weight. You should be warm enough with your 15-degree bag and your hiking clothes...

q-tip
03-25-2011, 13:59
Thanks much for the comments--most helpful.....

brian039
03-25-2011, 20:47
I'm going around the same time you are and am basically bringing the same gear except the crocs, pack cover, sleeping clothes, water bottle, waterproof matches, towel, pepper spray, and the baklava. I'll probably just go with a pair of fleece gloves too and do without the liners. I don't wear glasses and I don't get blisters so I don't wear sock liners either. No knee problems so I don't need a brace. I have a down jacket too which would save me weight versus your parka. I'm around 25 lbs total base weight. I'd say you're pretty set and thanks for posting this because I was kinda freakin out about my gear list and its nice to have someone to compare notes with.

q-tip
03-26-2011, 08:41
Thanks for the comments.

I will ditch the Mont Bell wind jacket and the Dri-climb vest. will use the Mamot Mica jacket and a 7 oz. fleece vest-should be enough. It worked on the AT in Nov. with cold, rain and wind...

Good catch on the gloves-ditch one pair.

Ditch the Crocs...

I will be stopping in towns---gotta eat and its such a great experience visiting with the folks that support the trail-that was great on the At (1,000 mi) in Aug-Nov 2010. using a bounce box (ANY SUGGESTIONS??????), for TVP-can't get it too often on the trail, chargers, fuel canisters and maybe some other stuff.....

Bear spray - ditch- trade one balaklava for an additional fleece hat-I sweat throught all of my hiking stuff on a daily basis so I have to have some dry stuff to change into.

Leggings-shorts ony 3 oz. + the UA Leggings 6 oz, but my rain pants are really wind pants 3 oz, and I will use the garbage bag rain skirt for high wind and rain.

Pack lid is a convenience-only 3 oz so I will probably keep it...

Let's stay in touch..if you see anthing else, let me know.

And by the way---all this planning and training for 3 months is all about MINIMIZNG SUFFERING. I did the the first AT 100 mi overpacked and under trained---not much fun at all......

Talk Soon,

Q-tip

brian039
03-26-2011, 10:35
I'm still debating on whether or not to use a bounce box. It all depends on fuel canister availability. I should be getting the data book any day now and will have a better idea then. I carried my phone charger with me on the AT and I don't even know what TVP is, lol (maybe I don't want to know if it is so awesome and you can't do without it). I'm definitely taking long nearos in all of the trail towns and will be taking a zero in Salida because I have a friend there who I thru'd the AT with last year. There's several nice hostels in the trail towns along the way and hitching is supposedly easy if you hitch from the right roads.

If you haven't read pmag's end to end guide then you need to. It's sticky-noted to the CT forum and is where I've gotten all of my info so far.

q-tip
03-26-2011, 14:00
TVP is Textured Vegetable Protien. It has the consistency of crumbled sugar cookies and has 48 gm. protien for 3.5 oz. Availalble at most health food stoes, but almost impossible to find along the AT and probably on the CT as well.

Lack of Protien is the major cause of long distance hikers failing to complete their hike according to some of the AT literature.

Hence, the bounce box--I will send about 6 lbs for the duration of the trip.

Thanks Again...

q-tip
02-14-2012, 20:17
Quick update---I have taken 6.4lbs. out of my CT pack---Total without food/water is 12.92 lbs. It cost me about $10/ounce ($900)--Don't you just love ultralight....

RodentWhisperer
02-14-2012, 22:58
As has been said before: "Cutting pounds is cheap. Cutting ounces isn't." :)

brian039
02-18-2012, 18:03
Good luck with your hike! You'll absolutely love it once you get to San Luis Pass and beyond if headed towards Durango. A couple of little things I think should be mentioned.

Twin Lakes may or may not have stove fuel when you arrive. Assuming you are headed to Durango, call the general store in Twin Lakes when you get to Leadville and ask if they have any, and if not make sure you pick up some extra in Leadville.

Consider staying on the CDT when you leave Twin Lakes and staying on it all the way to Monarch Pass, that section of the CT coming out of Twin Lakes was kinda miserable to me.

Your databook doesn't mention it but you can hitch to Creede from Spring Creek Pass instead of taking the FS road route into Creede. It would be an easy hitch as there was a fair amount of traffic on the road. That being said, I took the FS route and easily got rides to and from the trail. I tend to be lucky though.

It's a phenomenal hike scenery-wise but is nothing like the AT from a social standpoint. Everyone tends to do their own thing. That's the only part about it that I wish was different, not a big deal though.

bearcreek
02-18-2012, 23:40
There is a lot more road and motorized trail on the CDT going from Twin Lakes to Monarch Pass than via the CT. At the present time, the CT route is nicer. That will change in the next five years or so, but that is how it is currently.

It is NOT an easy hitch from Spring Creek Pass to Creede. Probably the most problematic one on the entire CT.

If you are starving for social interaction, the CT is a poor choice. Wilderness and "social" are opposites. The CT was designed to avoid cities, not connect them.

Cookerhiker
02-18-2012, 23:59
...Twin Lakes may or may not have stove fuel when you arrive. Assuming you are headed to Durango, call the general store in Twin Lakes when you get to Leadville and ask if they have any, and if not make sure you pick up some extra in Leadville.

Consider staying on the CDT when you leave Twin Lakes and staying on it all the way to Monarch Pass, that section of the CT coming out of Twin Lakes was kinda miserable to me.

Your databook doesn't mention it but you can hitch to Creede from Spring Creek Pass instead of taking the FS road route into Creede. It would be an easy hitch as there was a fair amount of traffic on the road. That being said, I took the FS route and easily got rides to and from the trail. I tend to be lucky though...

There is a lot more road and motorized trail on the CDT going from Twin Lakes to Monarch Pass than via the CT. At the present time, the CT route is nicer. That will change in the next five years or so, but that is how it is currently.

It is NOT an easy hitch from Spring Creek Pass to Creede. Probably the most problematic one on the entire CT.

If you are starving for social interaction, the CT is a poor choice. Wilderness and "social" are opposites. The CT was designed to avoid cities, not connect them.

Re. Twin Lakes store - good advice. They happened to have a few canisters when I stopped by in early August but it's a good idea to call.

Re. the "miserable" part of the CT vis-a-vis Twin Lakes, my recollection was on what I considered the most miserable stretch in the hot sun going around the lakes, the CT and CDT were still running together. They didn't split apart until the other side of the lake where the CT took a left turn straight uphill into the forest. For this and other reasons, I'd recommend staying on the CT.

RE. the Spring Creek Pass hitch - we hitched the 33 miles from there to Creede - but not by design. We had gone to Creede from San Luis Pass, spent a night, and slackpacked the next day to Spring Creek Pass. The owner of San Juan Sports shuttled us to the side trail back up to San Luis Pass and we had another shuttler lined up to pick us up at Spring Creek Pass. She didn't show up and our cell phones didn't work so the hitch was forced on us. There were 3 of us, we had to split up some, we got more rides from more than one but in the end, we were successful. I agree with Bear Creek though and would not recommend it - at least if you do, don't start late in the day.

Brian mentioned he had been lucky. So were we when we headed to Creede. After walking 1 mile side trail, we walked perhaps 1.5 miles on the 4 WD road (it was a weekday) when a family took us in all the way to Creede.

echoes
02-19-2012, 01:38

I'd recommend following the CDT over Hope Pass and then doing the Missouri Basin route to reconnect to the CT at Pine Creek. I bagged Mt Belford and Oxford along the way. That was definitely one of the highlights of my hike. The only really miserable part after that, at least for me, was the road walk around Princeton.

Your databook doesn't mention it but you can hitch to Creede from Spring Creek Pass instead of taking the FS road route into Creede. It would be an easy hitch as there was a fair amount of traffic on the road. That being said, I took the FS route and easily got rides to and from the trail. I tend to be lucky though.

I hit the FS road on a weekend and easily got a ride. There were a ton of people there climbing San Luis Peak. Probably a lot harder to find a ride on a weekday. Some thru-hikers I met had to walk all the way down into town. But I've also heard a lot of people say Spring Creek Pass was a tough hitch. The traffic that does go by seems mostly from out of state, and they rarely pick up hitchhikers.

It's a phenomenal hike scenery-wise but is nothing like the AT from a social standpoint. Everyone tends to do their own thing. That's the only part about it that I wish was different, not a big deal though.

Definitely true. I did make a few good friends, but hardly saw them outside of the towns. On the trail I was alone probably 90% of the time.