PDA

View Full Version : Advice Sought - Hiking Maryland - Newbie Question

Fatty
03-18-2011, 20:45
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone can help a newbie. I'm looking to do the AT state by state - and considering Maryland as my first. I have some family in Virginia who can likely provide a drive to the trail head and to pick me up. I'm looking for advice like this:

1. what's a good place to start and end?
2. is it too early to walk Maryland in early April?
3. general advice on walking Maryland.

I'm sincerely grateful for taking the time. I'm excited but also anxious to make sure i don't make a rookie mistake - i'm done hundreds of hours of research into gear and have been making purchases and almost done with my gear.

Fatty
03-18-2011, 20:48
i'll be bringing my dog...she's done a lot of day hiking with me and is up to the task...just want to mention it in case it affects hiking MD.

Cookerhiker
03-18-2011, 22:00
Assuming you're doing all of MD in one hike, it's 3-4 days depending on your pace. 10 mpd=4 days, 13 mpd=3 days. I'd recommend hiking it southbound because I think it's nice to finish at Harpers Ferry. Have your ride take you to PenMar and hike to Harpers Ferry. Highlights include Annapolis Rocks (which I haven't been to in years) and the Weverton Cliffs overlook of the Potomac just before you descend the ridgeline down to the C&O Canal.

Early April can run the gamut from pleasant sunny Spring days around 70 to cold rain in the 30s so be prepared for either or get a good handle on the forecast.

harryfred
03-18-2011, 22:35
I agree with CookerHiker. MD is a great hike I go with 4 day if you can SB do your last night at Ed Garvey that will let you enjoy the morning at Weverton cliffs, which is awesome. When yo get to HF head up the hill to the Secret Six have a good WV beer and a burger and wait for your ride. The weather in Apr. in MD could be anything cold and wet to hot. I usually take my 30* bag and all my layers for clothing. The shelters are all great I have never encountered a dry spring and there are three spigots available.

Leanthree
03-19-2011, 02:59
Not the end of the world as the hike was almost over but if mosquitos are out by then, the flat C&O canal towpath walk into harpers ferry has many so take a break once you get down from weaverton cliffs but before the towpath for water and then bomb the hour or so into town.

At least it is flat.

Cookerhiker
03-19-2011, 10:07
Not the end of the world as the hike was almost over but if mosquitos are out by then, the flat C&O canal towpath walk into harpers ferry has many so take a break once you get down from weaverton cliffs but before the towpath for water and then bomb the hour or so into town.

At least it is flat.

I don't think he has to worry about mosquitos in early April.

sir limpsalot
03-19-2011, 10:43
read up on gathland war memorial and the original washington memorial so you'll understand what you're seeing. ensign cowell shelter has road noise all night long and the spring's a walk from the shelter. annapolis rock's a bit of a sidetrip, but is worth it (and has great campsites). if you just plan on getting water at crampton gap shelter-don't: it's a steep walk down and you can get water at gathland park which you'll walk right through. wouldn't worry too much about the bugs. worry a bit about rattlers in the sunny mid-day (just watch your step, it's not like they're gonna run you down or anything). bring sunscreen.

Blissful
03-19-2011, 11:09
Nice time of year to walk it. Enjoy

Blackbird
03-19-2011, 11:19
I've been snowed on and frozen south of Harpers Ferry in April and cooked in 80-degree heat in NY in April. It's the transitional season, so expect anything. A hat to keep the sun off is recommended, since the leaves won't be on the trees in any big way yet.
Bugs shouldn't be a problem, but as it was 79 degrees here yesterday in central Virginia, the bugs will be rubbing their eyes and waking up any time.
It will be a nice time to walk this section.
I don't know when Dahlgren Backpacker campground opens for the year, but there are toilets and hot showers there in season.

The area of South Mountain north of Harpers Ferry is very historic. Google Battle of South Mountain. Knowing the history makes it very interesting. Washington Monument is pretty cool with good views -- take the time to take a break and go up for a nice view if it's clear weather.

Enjoy!

flemdawg1
03-19-2011, 11:31
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone can help a newbie. I'm looking to do the AT state by state - and considering Maryland as my first. I have some family in Virginia who can likely provide a drive to the trail head and to pick me up. I'm looking for advice like this:

I'm sincerely grateful for taking the time. I'm excited but also anxious to make sure i don't make a rookie mistake - i'm done hundreds of hours of research into gear and have been making purchases and almost done with my gear.

1 I began Harpers Ferry and ended at Waynesboro, PA, but Pen-Mar will work too.

2. Nope I did it in February, the weahter started in the 70s on Friday and ended in the teens on Tuesday with 6 inches of snow. Like others have said be prepared for anything.

3. Make sure that you are on the trail. I was looking down at one point and followed what I thought was the AT off the mountain. Turned out I was way off by 1/2 a mile by the time I'd figured out my mistake and had to take a 2mile roadwalk to get back. Get the map.

tuswm
03-19-2011, 11:38
Being from MD we have done that section many times. There are some nice shelters. Does anyone remember the name of the shelter that is about a day south of pen mar? IIRC you can get pizza delivered there. and I heard there was a FREE hiker hostel going in about a mile from there. has anyone heard about this?

CowHead
03-19-2011, 11:42
Hi Everyone,

I always start at Pen Mar and Hike to Harpers Ferry its a nice walk plenty of water try to do that hike 2 to 3 times a year

Cookerhiker
03-19-2011, 11:43
Being from MD we have done that section many times. There are some nice shelters. Does anyone remember the name of the shelter that is about a day south of pen mar? IIRC you can get pizza delivered there. and I heard there was a FREE hiker hostel going in about a mile from there. has anyone heard about this?

Sounds like Ensign Cowell which is near enough to the road for pizza.

Bronco is the shelter overseer.

earlyriser26
03-19-2011, 11:48
MD id one of my favorite states. Lots of history. I would start at PENMAR park and go to HF. There is a comfort Inn just off the trail and if you stay there the night before, you can get a shuttle to PENMAR and hike back to your car. I have stayed there before and they have always let me leave my car, but check ahead.

flemdawg1
03-19-2011, 13:46

The shelter is Ensign Cowell Shelter, the hostel is The Free STATE Hiker Hostel, and it cost $32, but probably the nicest hostel you'll likely ever stay at.

harryfred
03-19-2011, 17:18
Figure rather than start a new thread I'll just attach my question to this on.
3 or 4 of us are planning to hike MD SB Apr. 16,17,18 We have to do it in 3 days due to work requirements. We would like to consider a shuttle from HF back to our cars at PM. could some one give me some contact info for a shuttle at HF.
Never had to worry about this before as I live close enough for my wife to just drop me off and pick me up. However 4 people + packs + driver are not going to fit in a Geo Tracker.

Trail Bug
03-20-2011, 07:15
Figure rather than start a new thread I'll just attach my question to this on.
3 or 4 of us are planning to hike MD SB Apr. 16,17,18 We have to do it in 3 days due to work requirements. We would like to consider a shuttle from HF back to our cars at PM. could some one give me some contact info for a shuttle at HF.
Never had to worry about this before as I live close enough for my wife to just drop me off and pick me up. However 4 people + packs + driver are not going to fit in a Geo Tracker.

My wife and I are signed up with Laura who runs the Outfitters at HF for the 16th of April to shuttle us from HF to Pen Mar. Not sure if she has a large van, but you could ask if there is room.

Skid.
03-20-2011, 20:48
I also recommend the southbound, PennMar to Harpers Ferry direction. Hopefully you will have clearer weather than we did, rainy and foggy, we couldn't even see the top of the Washington Monument, and that was in October.

harryfred
03-20-2011, 23:13
We are going SB We plan on leaving PM early the 16th and hopefully make Annapolis Rocks to camp the first night. Then making Ed Garvey the second night I love Weverton cliffs in the morning. We discussed leaving a car at The visitors center in the park but that would make for a really early day on the 16th. figured we would see what a shuttle would run and if we split the cost might be worth it.

Cookerhiker
03-21-2011, 08:15
.... Then making Ed Garvey the second night I love Weverton cliffs in the morning...

It's unfortunate although understandable that no camping is allowed around Weverton Cliffs where you can see both sunrises and sunsets.

Hope you have good weather!

fredmugs
03-21-2011, 09:57
I hiked from the northern edge of SNP to Pen Mar in April (don't recall the year). The weather from the Bears Den hostel to Pen Mar was pretty awesome (up to around 70). The weather was actually too nice because all the weekenders were out on the trail.

I would recommend SOBO as well if for no other reason than I didn't care for the last part of that stretch.

tuswm
03-21-2011, 10:59
I hiked from south of SNP with out a shower or laundry when I arrived at the bears den. It was like heaven. That place is like a bed and breakfast with bunk beds. It was the first time I was full in weeks.