PDA

View Full Version : Flip Flop Hike

Pickles&Shakespeare
03-19-2011, 08:31
I have seen very few posts on this non traditional method. My husband and I are still in the planning stages of our thru hike for next year, but VERY excited about this idea. I have yet to see any sort of logistics (winter gear, and other items needed for colder temps.)

Here is our general planning idea so far.
We are planning to leave Waynesboro VA in May (We have some friends there) and hike to Maine. We figure we would get there around August. I don't think we we would need full out winter gear (Suggestions :confused:). We would hopefully avoid crowds, black flies, mud season and snow. We would be following spring and summer north and fall south.

We would then somehow get back to Waynesboro (rent a car, train, friends etc) and start our SOBO journey. The plan is to get to GA in mid to late November. We hope to then avoid crowds, the sweltering southern heat, and snow. :confused: I don't know if I am making that snow part up. I have now lived in Florida and VA and have yet to see snow in November.

Any suggestions, methods would be greatly appreciated. (Especially packing winter gear for those times)

moldy
03-19-2011, 08:56
You can never avoid the 5 plagues of the AT: snow, bugs, crowds, mud, and thirst. My ranking of the 5 plagues from most annoying to least #1 bugs, #2 mud, #3 thirst, #4 snow, #5 crowds. If you rank snow and crowds high then a flip-flop like yours may well be in order. North American bugs are hard to avoid May thru August with June being the worst.

4shot
03-19-2011, 09:30
If you get there in August you may be ok without winter gear. However I finished in mid-September and it got wet and cold (at times) in Maine. Katadhin was freezing cold (heavy wind, sleet). I always had my down coat as it was a great pillow and a rain coat so full winter gear for me meant adding a hat and gloves and a long sleeve shirt.

You are likely to see snow (mostly flurries) in the southern mountains in late Oct./early November and I would have my winter gear well before then due to colder temps. at elevation. Doubt you will deal with any accumulation of significance though. others may have different opinions. other than that, your plan is fine.

bigcranky
03-19-2011, 09:38
I think that's a great itinerary. You get to "finish" twice, once at each terminus.

SawnieRobertson
03-19-2011, 09:47
Your plan has great merit, and I think you will be glad that you came up with it.--Kinnickinic

Cookerhiker
03-19-2011, 09:53
You can never avoid the 5 plagues of the AT: snow, bugs, crowds, mud, and thirst. My ranking of the 5 plagues from most annoying to least #1 bugs, #2 mud, #3 thirst, #4 snow, #5 crowds. If you rank snow and crowds high then a flip-flop like yours may well be in order. North American bugs are hard to avoid May thru August with June being the worst.

I would add heat as a plague, at least for me. Starting Waynesboro in May avoids some of it but when in May? A late May start means hiking NJ, NY, CT in July which in turns means hot days and sticky muggy nights. You escape the mosquitos in your tent where you lie on top of your sleeping bag sweating all night.

The other reason to start early May is to see more wildflowers e.g. the trillium in Shenandoah NP.

Overall, it sounds like a great plan. Good luck!

hunter121
03-19-2011, 12:03
Ahh! I stand corrected then, Thanks for clearing that up.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/10.jpghttp://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx229/j3iR/wind/jeromssummer_flickr_photos_848.gif