PDA

View Full Version : Greetings! I'm new

Flaps15
03-19-2011, 09:24
Hello, AT World.

I'm new here on these forums and must say that so far - i haven't read one negative thing. I've been browsing for a little while now and am glad to have found this site.

A little bit on me - I'm a 21 year-old male from Southeast Georgia. Been on a few (4) camping/hiking trips and have liked them a lot. I am currently deployed in SW Asia right now with the USAF but am "jonesing" for an expedition.

When I get back in May, some friends and I plan to hike the GA section of the AT in about 7 days. I've always known about the AT but never regarded it as an accomplishable feat for someone who doesnt have a lot of experience. That's why I'm doing this first section - as a test. Being in the mil I am in pretty good shape and I sort of know what to expect. Plus, I'll be in a small group. I want to one daythru-hike the trail but that won't be for a while as it's almost impossible to get 7 months off from work when you work for the government. Anyone, bvefore I ramble, I'm just saying "Hello!" Does anyone have any tips for my friends and I before we do the 70+ miles of the GA corridor?

Storm
03-19-2011, 09:55
Wecome to WhiteBlaze. Thank you so much for your service. Only tip I have for you is "Have a blast" You are going to love it and be hooked for life.:welcome

Cookerhiker
03-19-2011, 10:01
Welcome to WB!:welcomeYou indicated you're in good shape (I take it aeorbically-speaking); that's the single most important factor in enjoying your hike. 7 days is just right for Georgia. Have fun!

Two Tents
03-19-2011, 10:06
Thank you for your service to our country. The dark side( Hammocks and things related) must be mentioned for you to consider as you prep for your hike. Welcome to the site! Stay safe and ask,ask, ask! See Hammock Forums also.

moldy
03-19-2011, 10:17
Best way to start is right here on the web. Before you start your gear list, read about what others do. Trailjournals.com is a great place to start. Read those journals. The forum at that site sucks so ask questions right here. Youtube is also a great place to learn anything from picking a pack to setting up a tent in the rain to cooking up interesting trail food. Order up the thru-hiker companion and the map of GA. Read the stuff on this web page. Don't go spending all that saved up war zone pay until you learn more. See you on the trail buddy.

Flaps15
03-19-2011, 10:57
Thank you all for your support, both on the trail and patriotically. It's people like you guys that keep us motivated out here.

Moldy, I've done my homework, sir. :) I am following two blogs right now.. one from a group of three who made a documentary on the trail last year and one from turtlefeet, a 50-something NOBO from Wisconsin. I am very ready to get this 70 mi hike underway. I have an REI wishlist but it's pretty fantastical. I'll do some editing and get what I need as far as equipment. I just started to look at the AT thru hike as possible for me recently. Is it too soon to make this a goal? Am I jumping the gun? Probably. But, when the time is right, i will consider it further. Thanks again for your warm welcomes and i'll keep doing my research and looking in to getting those guides.

Blue Skies,
Flaps

PS - do hikers give themselves the trailnames or is it given by other hikes like callsigns are in the mil?

paistes5
03-19-2011, 11:07
Flaps, fellow noob here, so while I can't offer too much advice, I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of those same questions.

Thank you for your service. Without people like you, we wouldn't be able to enjoy this great lifestyle.

Blissful
03-19-2011, 11:07
When you get back, hit the trail and enjoy! There's nothing like it. :)

LoneRidgeRunner
03-19-2011, 11:12
Welcome to whiteblaze and thank you for your service...Being in the military you should be in shape for the hike....everything said in this thread so far is good advice...enjoy your hike.. just ask and read before your hike...

De nova
03-19-2011, 11:14
Hi I am new here myself.
I am planning a thru hike for 2012. I have done some hikes with the Sierra Club in California, gone car camping and can't wait do do some backpacking. I am retired, started a conditioning program last month and hike at least twice per week.
I ordered all the maps and the thru hikers companion.
My friend and I are planning to hike the AT for two weeks in early October. We are looking at the trail through the New England states.
Any suggestions as to where to start-where is a reasonable part of the trail for two newbies with 2 weeks to hike?

Chubbs4U
03-19-2011, 18:18
I also thank you for your service. I wish you luck. Im an also a noob and this site is so friendly that it invites you into "their world" with open arms. Good luck. Just for giggles post your REI list here, I bet you could get a lot of used good gear on the cheap.

Flaps15
03-19-2011, 18:31
As requested, my REI Wishlist.

http://www.rei.com/wishlist?storeId=8000&id=81e76ec0-72db-4a5b-8139-7bdc6d1b81df

Again, I'm not overly concerned on money. Everything on this list comes out to ~$750 and I'm comfortable with that. There's also a lot of stuff forgotten. Being AD military, I doubt I will even be able to do the thru-hike until the Mar/Apr time frame of 2015 because of the time it takes. But it's good to have this stuff for other hikes.

Your thoughts on the wishlist?

sheepdog
03-19-2011, 18:53

http://www.rei.com/wishlist?storeId=8000&id=81e76ec0-72db-4a5b-8139-7bdc6d1b81df

Again, I'm not overly concerned on money. Everything on this list comes out to ~$750 and I'm comfortable with that. There's also a lot of stuff forgotten. Being AD military, I doubt I will even be able to do the thru-hike until the Mar/Apr time frame of 2015 because of the time it takes. But it's good to have this stuff for other hikes.

If you get the chance while you're over there hike New Zealand . Supposed to be the best hiking in the world. Thanks for your service. :D

Tinker
03-19-2011, 19:05
Hey, Flaps15. Welcome to Whiteblaze. It's a good place to learn tips from all the disciplines of hiking (maybe that's an oxymoron?? :D). I, personally, was never a heavy pack carrier and dabbled in ultralight for a while before settling on my current light gear list.
Enjoy Ga. I did it in March 2006. I took my time, a couple of days off, and did it in 9 days of actual hiking. Very nice country.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-19-2011, 21:01
keep your pack weight including food for a week and water between 30-35 LBS no more and hike your own hike dont become obsessed about trying to make a certain mileage ever day or keeping up with someone else that you are hiking with enjoy the journey

Flaps15
03-19-2011, 21:53
Sheepdog,
I doubt I'll have the opportunity to hike NZ. I would lvoe to but I'm so busy and very,very far away even still. Haha but that thought is nice.

Tinker,
I plan to only carry food for about 4 - 5 days. We'll certainly hit Neel's Gap before that time period. I've read that people hit it in 3 days. It's 30 miles but I assure you I will pack prepared. Thank you, though.;)

William,
Thanks. I am excited to get on the trail when I get back and will certainly hike my own hike. I like that saying a lot, it applies to everything off the trail as well.

How do you hikers find the time to take 5 - 7 months off of work to embark on the AT and other trails? I would prefer a thru-hike eventually as opposed to sectioning the whole trail.

ShelterLeopard
03-19-2011, 23:14
Welcome to WB!!! Good luck getting a straight answer to anything :D

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 00:26
Welcome to WB!!! Good luck getting a straight answer to anything :D

hahah, thanks a lot.

TheChop
03-20-2011, 01:21

Don't just buy from REI. There's a lot of great smaller manufactures whose gear is lighter and oftentimes cheaper than the stuff you get that's mass produced.

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 01:53
Oh yeah, i definitely realize that. I am just trying to get a basic needs list taken care of. I saw tents from BPS that are about 1/3 of what I want from REI.

mweinstone
03-20-2011, 02:37
when reaching the state line on the trail, if you have walked that state, its good to have a routeen. stop before crossing the line and tidy yourself up. rest, eat, wash maby. then stand up and march across that puppy!

your mission jim, is to have fun. as always, the government will disavowe any knowlage of fun. good luck jim.

for all your sacrafice for all our sakes, we give you the keys to the AT sir.
thank you.now get some!

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 04:01
when reaching the state line on the trail, if you have walked that state, its good to have a routeen. stop before crossing the line and tidy yourself up. rest, eat, wash maby. then stand up and march across that puppy!

your mission jim, is to have fun. as always, the government will disavowe any knowlage of fun. good luck jim.

for all your sacrafice for all our sakes, we give you the keys to the AT sir.
thank you.now get some!

Thanks a lot, bud.

And where did this Jim business come from? hahah. Just curious. I've been here two days and already have a "trail"name.

Croft
03-20-2011, 07:52
Flaps15, your age--or rather, your youth is showing. That's Jim Phelps from the original Mission Impossible TV series.

Tinker
03-20-2011, 08:25
Hi I am new here myself.
I am planning a thru hike for 2012. I have done some hikes with the Sierra Club in California, gone car camping and can't wait do do some backpacking. I am retired, started a conditioning program last month and hike at least twice per week.
I ordered all the maps and the thru hikers companion.
My friend and I are planning to hike the AT for two weeks in early October. We are looking at the trail through the New England states.
Any suggestions as to where to start-where is a reasonable part of the trail for two newbies with 2 weeks to hike?

Hi, De nova.
If you have done some hiking in the mountains you would probably enjoy the White Mountains in New Hampshire. The terrain is quite difficult to negotiate for many folks from out west as the early trail planners in the Northeast seemed to like things straight up and down. The views are fantastic, though. If you need to put on some miles to get ready for the Whites you could start your hike in Hanover, NH on the Vt. NH border and hike into the Whites. The first mountain over 4000' is Moosilauke. If you find that's too much for you, you could then catch a ride back to Hanover and hike south into Vermont, which is not as rugged and is a nice mix of low mountains and pastures.
If you like things dark and woodsy, mossy, etc. you could hike anywhere in Maine. The stretch from Caratunk to Monson isn't too difficult and offers a few nice ponds to swim in. To stretch out the Caratunk to Monson hike you might want to start by hiking over the Bigelow Mountains, adding three or four days to the hike before reaching Caratunk.

Blissful
03-20-2011, 08:30
If money is not really an issue get a lighter tent (others to chose from like a tarp tent, etc ) and better down bag from Western Mountaineering and a ULA catalyst. You'll be flying down the trail. :)

phobos
03-20-2011, 08:34
My money for a tent is either a Tarp tent moment or Tarptent Contrail :] They are both very light tent options. Just my 2 cents.

TarpTent Moment

http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html

Tarptent Contrail

http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html

They are always good used tents for sale on http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_forum.html?forum=19

moldy
03-20-2011, 08:43
Flaps, The best trail names are given just like in the military, you go out and goon something up, you buds find out about it and the next thing you know they call you,"fire-sratrer", "chicken", "flame-thrower". This is the "earned it" method and it's the best. In my squadron back in the day we handed some pretty foul "call signs" like, "booger", "flinch", "drippy" or "moldy". It was a backlash to that Tom Cruse Movie "Topgun" where they had cool names like "Iceman". The worst names are those you make up yourself as a way of avoiding being tagged with one you don't like. Best advice, don't think about it, just let it happen. When it happens, don't fight it, it only makes it worse.
About your gear list, It looks like a good start, my opinion, either your a tent man or a hammock man pick one to start. Some are both, spring and fall they are tenters, heat of summer it's hammock. What will happen if you are like the rest of us, and this addiction takes hold with that dream of the first thru-hike is that you will start collecting stuff and the storage area will fill up as you collect more equipment and eventually you will either form and outfit a boy scout pack, or be a feature on the "Hoarding" show. You will know that you truly have the bug when you purchase a drug scale. From that moment on "your wife will never understand". There is a 3 and a half ounce difference from one hiking item to the next. You will be weighing your wristwatch and keys. Don't let your First Sargent find it in your locker he will think bad thoughts. See you out there buddy.

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 22:43
Flaps15, your age--or rather, your youth is showing. That's Jim Phelps from the original Mission Impossible TV series.

Well what we have here is a failure to communicate.

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 22:50
Flaps, The best trail names are given just like in the military, you go out and goon something up, you buds find out about it and the next thing you know they call you,"fire-sratrer", "chicken", "flame-thrower". This is the "earned it" method and it's the best. In my squadron back in the day we handed some pretty foul "call signs" like, "booger", "flinch", "drippy" or "moldy". It was a backlash to that Tom Cruse Movie "Topgun" where they had cool names like "Iceman". The worst names are those you make up yourself as a way of avoiding being tagged with one you don't like. Best advice, don't think about it, just let it happen. When it happens, don't fight it, it only makes it worse.
About your gear list, It looks like a good start, my opinion, either your a tent man or a hammock man pick one to start. Some are both, spring and fall they are tenters, heat of summer it's hammock. What will happen if you are like the rest of us, and this addiction takes hold with that dream of the first thru-hike is that you will start collecting stuff and the storage area will fill up as you collect more equipment and eventually you will either form and outfit a boy scout pack, or be a feature on the "Hoarding" show. You will know that you truly have the bug when you purchase a drug scale. From that moment on "your wife will never understand". There is a 3 and a half ounce difference from one hiking item to the next. You will be weighing your wristwatch and keys. Don't let your First Sargent find it in your locker he will think bad thoughts. See you out there buddy.

Thanks for your help and your words. Im sure that I'll start buying ridiculous things.. you saw that i have a tent and a hammock on my list already, haha. See you out there.