PDA

View Full Version : Delta lost my backpack

Deva
03-19-2011, 09:28
Every hikers worst fear. Well it's not lost, thank God, but delayed. 3 days

I planned on beginning today but because Delta swapped my baggage tag, I cannot. I arrived yesterday, and Delta informed me my backpack would arrive at Hiker Hostel overnight so I could begin hiking. When it wasn't here this morning I called and was informed that Delta had given my bag to FedEx last night to deliver since I was over 70 miles away from Atlanta. I checked online and am in fact 66 miles away and the owners told me Delta delivers delayed baggage here all the time (and that only 1 or 2 other people have ever NOT had their baggage by the next day). FedEx doesn't deliver on weekends so now I am stuck until my bags arrive Monday.

I was very upset, and couldn't help but cry on the phone when the representative told me my backpack wouldn't be here until Monday. I have never had any problems with Delta. I'm going to go to Traildays or whatever is going on here, but am sad all my friends will be 3 days ahead of me.

Tractor
03-19-2011, 09:42
I know it seems bad this moment but the important thing is what happens after you get your pack. This short delay could set you off on an even more remarkable hike than you could have had leaving right now. Chill for the time being. Happy trails in a bit!

Rocket Jones
03-19-2011, 11:15
Silver lining: you'll get to meet an awesome group of people that you would've missed if you had started 3 days ago.

Be careful not to overdo by trying to catch up to your original group. It would be even worse to have to leave the trail because of a self-induced injury by trying to go too fast, too soon.

LoneRidgeRunner
03-19-2011, 11:22
I don't think I would use Delta anymore....Other than that..all you can do is wait for your gear to arrive..then enjoy your hike...

Blissful
03-19-2011, 11:25
Believe it or not, there are reasons things happen. That's the way I have to look at it. I was supposed to start my NOBO hike on march 1 but couldn't 'cause of illness. I began march 5 in superb weather and met terrific hikers on day one that helped us those first few days. So relax. Enjoy the trail day fest. I'll bet there are great new buddies waiting for you on day one.

Blissful
03-19-2011, 11:26
Silver lining: you'll get to meet an awesome group of people that you would've missed if you had started 3 days ago.

Be careful not to overdo by trying to catch up to your original group. It would be even worse to have to leave the trail because of a self-induced injury by trying to go too fast, too soon.

great great advice.

Blackbird
03-19-2011, 11:27
Three days is no time.
Don't sweat it and enjoy the downtime!

KillerKowalski
03-19-2011, 12:17
Great. I am flying Delta to ATL on 04/21 to start for nine days. What pack do you have and did you check it?

McPick
03-19-2011, 12:32

Especially shin splints caused by rushing down hills.

I know it doesn't seem like it now, but once you're into your hike, 3 days isn't all that much. Hikers stop and go along the entire trail. You will meet awesome hikers. Won't see them for a while and then, bingo... At a shelter or in a town there they will be. They will say something like, "Hey... We were just talking about you. Wondered if you were ahead of us or behind us." You'll say it too about those you've met. Happens all the time.

Hiking the Appalachian Trail truly is one of the great American adventures.

On your mark... Get set...

wcgornto
03-19-2011, 12:52
I don't think I would use Delta anymore....Other than that..all you can do is wait for your gear to arrive..then enjoy your hike...

Might as well say "I don't think I would fly to Atlanta anymore".

Egads
03-20-2011, 09:46
D amn
E veryone's
L ate
T o
A tlanta

~20 flights in the past 6 months & many are late

BTW, I carry my packs on. Gear is too expensive to replace & lost packs = no hike

KillerKowalski
03-20-2011, 09:48
^^^If you use them, was there a problem carrying on hiking poles?

LoneRidgeRunner
03-20-2011, 10:09

I wouldn't fly to Atlanta...I'm only 250 miles away and by the time I drove the 2 hours to the nearest airport and went through all the security crap..then catch the plane I can drive there just as quick and cheaper..and no lost or delayed gear..

KillerKowalski
03-20-2011, 10:23
Not from Chicago.

Toolshed
03-20-2011, 11:09
Chin up and dry those tears!! If this is the worst thing that happens on your trip, then it is indeed, a damn good trip!!!

sbhikes
03-20-2011, 15:48
Somebody on the PCT-L said that a starter gun like you use for the start of a footrace is considered a weapon so if you put one of those in your pack and declare it, they'll take extra special care not to lose your baggage.

TheChop
03-20-2011, 16:00
I would never trust an airline with my pack. Always send UPS or FedEx. That said Monday will come and until then you get to relax and meet people. I'm having issues programming my GPS and running out of time. Nothing you can do but do what you can.

jima59
03-20-2011, 16:49
Believe it or not, there are reasons things happen. That's the way I have to look at it. I was supposed to start my NOBO hike on march 1 but couldn't 'cause of illness. I began march 5 in superb weather and met terrific hikers on day one that helped us those first few days. So relax. Enjoy the trail day fest. I'll bet there are great new buddies waiting for you on day one.

skooch
03-20-2011, 16:57
This incident is the beginning of a great story full of PUDs literally and figuratively. This is page one of your adventure. Have a wonderful time

myotheralt
03-20-2011, 17:16
I know no one wants to think it, but really check over your gear when you get it Monday. Make sure that you know what you would need to file for lost and/or damaged luggage.

Good hike!

Mrs Baggins
03-20-2011, 17:48
United Airlines lost my husband's backpack on the way to New Zealand. Took 3 days to get it delivered to the hostel in Auckland. We had had it wrapped and bagged in plastic in Baltimore. Arrived in New Zealand minus the brand new sleeping bag that had been strapped to it - wrap and bag gone. And they said pretty much tough s*** because "you shouldn't have had the bag outside the pack. The fact that the whole pack was pretty well sealed up and now all of that was gone didn't matter one whit to them.

Rocket Jones
03-20-2011, 18:46
If it's going by airline, box it up. Hit the UPS store and buy a couple of boxes and a roll of sturdy packing tape. Construct a box big enough to hold your pack comfortably. Put the pack in a sealed plastic bag inside the box. Address goes on a tag on the pack, another in the bag, another in the box, and on the outside of the box.

jbenson
03-20-2011, 19:07
Ask them for a $200 flight voucher. You never know unless you ask.

Deva
03-24-2011, 20:33
Thanks guys! I ended up slackpacking for three days and my pack did arrive Monday. I think it did work out for the best because slackpacking was a great way to ease into the hike. I'm in Helen now drinking German beer! Only 2130 miles to go!

Buffalo Skipper
03-25-2011, 09:32
Sorry to hear about your Delta and baggage problems. I used to work for said company, and did my time as a baggage service agent, so I really can sympathize with your situation. After I left Delta, I did contract baggage delivery for a few years. Never heard of of a 70 mile policy. I would frequently deliver bags 100+ miles away from the airport on a daily basis. But that was years ago, policies change.

Glad to hear you came up with a good solution. Have one of those brewskies for me! :cool:

rhjanes
03-25-2011, 09:38
Glad to hear it worked out. Delta is my LAST airline choice. Everytime we have flown them, issues, disaster, canceled flights. We lost a day at Disney World because of Delta's unreliable flights. Our 9:30 AM flight out of Dallas, well, we got to TAMPA (not Orlando) at something like 11 PM Eastern...... 12 hours lost.

clodhopper
03-25-2011, 10:48
Chalk it up as part of the experience and make the most of it.

Maybe work it into a good trailname - Late Delta?

Best wishes.

Joshuatree
03-25-2011, 17:54
I Hate having to check gear on flights its just to nerve racking, I've watched baggage handlers at work before and I think a kids soccer ball gets less abuse.

If you had to spend much on hotels to wait for your bag you can send a claim to delta to get a reimbursement. Expain to them that they left you homeless until your pack and tent arrived. So you had to get a hotel room to wait for it, and make sure you get your checked bag fee returned if you had to pay for it.
Just give the Delta website a look over before you send a claim. They picked up the cost of replacement fishing equipment when mine was delayed. My equipement showed at my friends house in Iowa 2 days after I arrived at the fly in camp in Canada.

Hopefully the delay is the biggest hassel you have to deal with

Good Luck

modiyooch
03-25-2011, 18:51
My family of 5 camped at the Grand Canyon. Flying back, I carried on the tent, sleeping bags, and other valuable gear and checked the dirty clothing. They lost my luggage and delivered my dirty clothes the next day.

When I was a kid, I travelled by bus after I came off the trail. Everying I owned was in my backpack. Luckily, I noticed from the bus window that they were loading my pack on another bus. I asked the driver about it and he stormed off the bus to get it for me. I figure they were trying to steal it.

Deva
04-27-2011, 12:37
I filled out a reimbursement form and they gave me a $200 voucher so I'm happy! In Damascus now and blister free so far!

Dogwood
04-28-2011, 01:54
Whenever possible, I take my pack with me on planes, trains, buses, etc so my pack isn't lost, it's faster, I have had gear stolen and/or lost from my pack, I live out of my pack needing items from it constantly, and I don't think MANY baggage handlers understand how to treat/lift a pack!

Of course, I go UL with very compressible gear and a small volume pack(3200 cubes or under) that fits between my legs on buses or in the overhead on planes!

Great take Tractor and LostDeva. Sounds like you will enjoy the hike Deva! Way to be adaptable with a good go with the flow thru-hiker attitude!

Dogwood
04-28-2011, 02:00
LostDeva, I was returning to NJ via the Upper Peninsula in Michigan from Isle Royale NP afer 9 days there. Got on Greyhound at 12 a.m Stopped at 1 a.m in the middle of east b jesus for supposed 15 min BR break. Came out 5 mins later. Where's the bus? No gear. Pack on bus. Took 1 night and 1 day of hitching and another day of riding a bus to meet back up with my pack! Don't leave your pack!

Same stories with planes and ships!

jesse
04-28-2011, 03:55

Airtran..........

One Half
04-30-2011, 08:09
glad to see you got your gear

Toolshed
04-30-2011, 11:09
LostDeva - It worked out well - you now have a great story to tell about why you started off slackpacking! Hope the rest of the trip is as adventurous.

Phreak
04-30-2011, 11:14
I don't think I would use Delta anymore.......
Every airline loses baggage. I alway ship my gear before my hikes to prevent these situations.