PDA

View Full Version : Parking near Neels Gap

mountainfeist
03-19-2011, 12:41
Any suggestions on where I might leave my truck close to Neels Gap for about 4 to 5 days? We'll be hiking south from Deep Gap.

Sierra Echo
03-19-2011, 12:46
There is the Byron Herbert Reese Trailhead. Its right down the road from Neel Gap.

mountainfeist
03-19-2011, 12:56
RE: Byron Herbert Reese Trailhead - Do you know if there are any regulations on how long you can leave a vehicle at this location - i.e. would 5 days be acceptable?

Sierra Echo
03-19-2011, 13:00
Not to my knowledge. People park there all the time to go wander off and camp. But make sure you park in a space or you will get a ticket. You could call the forestry service and ask since they are in charge of the parking lot.

Llama Legs
03-19-2011, 14:56
I've left my vehicle there for over a week. Normal stuff - don't leave anything visible in the car, nor would I leave food in it <bears>.

Egads
03-20-2011, 09:48
It's safer to park in Vogel SP or at Lake Winfield Scott, but YMMV.

mountainfeist
03-21-2011, 22:01
RE: Byron Herbert Reese Trailhead - Do you know if there are any regulations on how long you can leave a vehicle at this location - i.e. would 5 days be acceptable?

Today I received an answer in an email from a Captain in the Law Enforcement and Investigations of the Chattahoochee - Oconee National Forest. His answer was, "No restrictions on leaving the vehicle"

Thank you, sir, for taking the time to send the information.