PDA

View Full Version : Trail North from Hot Springs, NC

Trailryder42
03-19-2011, 12:49
Hey all. For my 2012 NOBO hike, I have a cousin that lives in Charlotte that has mentioned coming out to hike a ways with me when I get to Hot Springs. He's nearing 70 but in good shape, as he's an avid hiker. Thing is, the trail north out of the Springs looks quite steep and strenuous on the elevation profile, more than he's going to be up for.

I thought about him doing the trail with me from the Springs north to the Tanyard Gap/US25 intersection, about 6 miles, and then him hitching back to the Springs from there, but I think that might be too much for him.

I don't see/know of any possibilities/access opportunities for meeting up before the Springs and hiking together to town.

Any info on the trail north from the Springs, access opportunities before the Springs or any other suggestions appreciated.

10-K
03-19-2011, 13:07
Hey all. For my 2012 NOBO hike, I have a cousin that lives in Charlotte that has mentioned coming out to hike a ways with me when I get to Hot Springs. He's nearing 70 but in good shape, as he's an avid hiker. Thing is, the trail north out of the Springs looks quite steep and strenuous on the elevation profile, more than he's going to be up for.

I thought about him doing the trail with me from the Springs north to the Tanyard Gap/US25 intersection, about 6 miles, and then him hitching back to the Springs from there, but I think that might be too much for him.

I don't see/know of any possibilities/access opportunities for meeting up before the Springs and hiking together to town.

Any info on the trail north from the Springs, access opportunities before the Springs or any other suggestions appreciated.

Suggestion: You hike to Hot Springs and get Bluff Mt Outfitters to shuttle you both north - either to Allen Gap which is about 12ish miles from Hot Springs or Devil's Fork Gap which is 33ish and hike back into town.

But, you're right, hiking NOBO the first 25 or so miles out of Hot Springs is tougher than hiking south.

Trailryder42
03-19-2011, 13:42
That sounds good. I'm not sure yet if he's going to want to stay a night on the trail with me or how far he's willing to hike. We could also get a shuttle to the Tanyard Gap/US25 intersection and hike back. That would only be about 6 miles and he could drop me off there on his way home the next morning.

Thanks for the suggestion.

moldy
03-20-2011, 08:56
I say go ahead and make the climb. It is easier than it looks on the map with plenty of great rest spots. Most 70 year old hikers have no trouble with this grade if they are in good shape and not overly burdened.