PDA

View Full Version : Yet another reservation question

10-K
03-19-2011, 13:26
Ok, so I'm going to be thru hiking the BMT in a 3 weeks and I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to do about campsite reservations in the park......

On the BMT there are enough unreserved campsites west of Smokemont so as not to have to worry about reservations. However, starting at Smokemont all the way to Davenport Gap there are only 2 or so unreserved campsites.

Which means reservations need to be made well in advance.

So... I'm now 21 days from starting and I have absolutely, positively no idea when I will get to this section of trail. Sure, I could call and make a reservation but it would be a WAG and almost certainly be for the wrong night by the time I got there.

How would you suggest I go about reserving a backcountry campsite under these conditions?

Didn't have this problem on the AT because I started at Davenport Gap and went to Fontana so I was able to plan the trip and make accurate reservations because I was actually starting in the park and could reliably tell where I was going to be every night.

Llama Legs
03-19-2011, 14:50
Hike in lederhosen and pretend that you don't speak any english.

Slo-go'en
03-19-2011, 15:19
10-K, I'm starting the BMT a few days before you. Good chance we'll hook up at some point along the way.

I'm going to wait until I get to the park to decide what to do. We'll try to time getting through the park during the week as to avoid any weekend crowds. Even if they say a camp site is full up with reservations, I'm willing to bet not all of them show up, especially if there is any rain that week.

So, bascially, I'm not going to worry about it and play it by ear once there - as always.

10-K
03-19-2011, 15:21
10-K, I'm starting the BMT a few days before you. Good chance we'll hook up at some point along the way.

I'm going to wait until I get to the park to decide what to do. We'll try to time getting through the park during the week as to avoid any weekend crowds. Even if they say a camp site is full up with reservations, I'm willing to bet not all of them show up, especially if there is any rain that week.

So, bascially, I'm not going to worry about it and play it by ear once there - as always.

Very nice - when are you leaving?

Mags
03-19-2011, 20:27
I wrote this in my doc: (http://www.pmags.com/return-to-the-hills-%E2%80%93-2009-benton-mackaye-trail-journal#resources-and-planning)

The Smokies: The only area where you need a permit is in the Smokies.

An easy to use self-registration permit is at the 20 Mile Ranger station just before you enter the park.

If you are going southbound, you can obtain a permit at the Smokemont campground or at the Big Creek Ranger station.

Some sites (denoted as RATIONED) must be reserved ahead of time on the BMT in the Smokies.

The Smokies TI map shows the campsites and which ones must be RSVPd ahead of time.

This link is also useful for Smokies info. http://www.bmta.org/sections/BMT-SecDescrip-Smokies.pdf Call the Backcountry Registration Office at 865-436-1231 to reserve a site.

Non-rationed sites DO NOT have to be RSVPd in advance and can be signed up for at the places mentioned earlier.

10-K
03-19-2011, 21:10
I wrote this in my doc: (http://www.pmags.com/return-to-the-hills-%E2%80%93-2009-benton-mackaye-trail-journal#resources-and-planning)

The Smokies: The only area where you need a permit is in the Smokies.

An easy to use self-registration permit is at the 20 Mile Ranger station just before you enter the park.

If you are going southbound, you can obtain a permit at the Smokemont campground or at the Big Creek Ranger station.

Some sites (denoted as RATIONED) must be reserved ahead of time on the BMT in the Smokies.

The Smokies TI map shows the campsites and which ones must be RSVPd ahead of time.

This link is also useful for Smokies info. http://www.bmta.org/sections/BMT-SecDescrip-Smokies.pdf Call the Backcountry Registration Office at 865-436-1231 to reserve a site.

Non-rationed sites DO NOT have to be RSVPd in advance and can be signed up for at the places mentioned earlier.

Right.... so how do you reserve a site 200 miles from the start of the trail 3 weeks before you leave? Conventional wisdom is to make the reservations asap (30 days in advance).

I won't be able to guesstimate where I'd need a reservation at until I get to Twenty Mile...

Slo-go'en
03-19-2011, 21:21
Very nice - when are you leaving?

Probably the 5th or 6th. I'll be in Tampa for a few days first to visit my folks, then a friend is driving me back up to Springer.

10-K
03-19-2011, 21:51
Probably the 5th or 6th. I'll be in Tampa for a few days first to visit my folks, then a friend is driving me back up to Springer.

You'll have 5 or 6 days on me - doubt I catch you unless you're really slo-go'en.. :)

FWIW, I'm figuring 2 weeks - a few days earlier if the stars line up....

Slo-go'en
03-19-2011, 21:57
You'll have 5 or 6 days on me - doubt I catch you unless you're really slo-go'en.. :)

FWIW, I'm figuring 2 weeks - a few days earlier if the stars line up....

I'm figuring at least 3 weeks, so you might catch up...

Ox97GaMe
03-19-2011, 22:22
You can stop at the backcountry office at the Okonaluftee visitor center. You are probably going into Cherokee to resupply anyway. There isnt a lot of traffic in that area of the park that time of year, so you shouldnt have any issues getting reservations for the sites you want.

By that point, you will have a pretty good idea of exactly how you want to finish up and the distances you want to hike each day. You COULD also consider taking a few side trips to do some sightseeing while you are in the park, if you have some extra days in your schedule, which could give a lot of other options for where to camp.

10-K
03-19-2011, 22:26
You can stop at the backcountry office at the Okonaluftee visitor center. You are probably going into Cherokee to resupply anyway. There isnt a lot of traffic in that area of the park that time of year, so you shouldnt have any issues getting reservations for the sites you want.

Excellent - thanks for the info. I didn't know I could make reservations at Okonaluftee and I was planning on going into Cherokee as well so that works.

TheChop
03-19-2011, 22:46
Smokemont -> 44 -> Davenport and home.

44 is this really unique little campsite out all by its lonesome that's almost in a bowl on top of the ridge line. Very remote for the Smokies. On my Smokies hike (not a BMT thru) we did this route out of Smokemont and it worked well. We were ready to go home the last day and did a longish day that last day but really it's not bad at all. You climb down and then back up to the ridge line early in the day and once you hit Laurel Gap you're on the Mount Sterling Ridge Trail which is flat as flat. Then you climb up Mt. Sterling a bit and then it's all down hill to Big Creek. Even had time to stop at the fire tower on Mt. Sterling.

Campsite 38 was actually closed due to bear activity so we were glad we'd woken up before dawn and gotten a move on it. With your level of experience you shouldn't have any problem doing this and 44 really is a unique little campsite. Had something walk up on our tents at night and stop right outside letting us hear it breath for a bit.

The only ones you really have to worry about is 38 or Laurel Gap and by doing a long last day you bypass both. I did the last day after 16 days in the Smokies and I'm a fatass who was carrying a 40lb pack at that time.

TheChop
03-19-2011, 22:48
One note is we only were going as far as Big Creek as we'd done the climb from Big Creek to Davenport on the first day of the hike so maybe that additional milage and climb would make it not doable but Campsite 44 is pretty cool and worth the detour.

Mags
03-20-2011, 18:58
I won't be able to guesstimate where I'd need a reservation at until I get to Twenty Mile...

I just did at 20 mile.

Why not just do it on the fly/walk? :)

liteweight
03-20-2011, 22:33
The only reservation spot you might have an issue with is #38 Mt Sterling and that's if it is the weekend. Depending on the miles you plan on doing each day you can reserve #47 enloe creek and than reserve Laurel Gap shelter. BTW Laurel Gap shelter is being remodeled in the fall. #44 is a cool site.

10-K
03-21-2011, 06:52
Thanks everyone....

I sat down with the maps and Sgt Rock's guide this weekend and have everything worked out.

Ready to roll - 3 weeks from right now I should be eating breakfast at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega prior to being taken to FR42 at Springer.

10-K
03-21-2011, 06:53
I just did at 20 mile.

Why not just do it on the fly/walk? :)

20 Mile has a phone that'll work for reservations too I understand - is that true?

Bati
03-21-2011, 07:16
Don't count on being able to get through on the phone line. I believe that if more backpackers hiked the BMT they'd have to change a system closer to what they have on the AT,as it is very difficult to make it through legally if you're Northbound.

If you're carrying a cell phone, I suggest you make several calls to the reservation line. That way if you can't get through (likely) and someone asks, at least you can show them from your record of attempted calls that you did make an effort to get a reservation.