PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail in a Limited Timeline

Cool Hands
03-19-2011, 17:51
I am soon to be a college student, and I was hoping between a possible family vacation, a trip to Europe, and the start of freshman year, I could hike the Long Trail.

The first possible timeline will be something between July 31 to August 18, depending on the details of the travel overseas and the start of orientation of the college I am accepted into (I'm still undecided on which I am attending). The second tentative timeline would be between June 25 and July 8, when I will probably leave for France -- though I could very well start the hike earlier than June 25. I've heard that hiking the Long Trail usually takes around 3 weeks, but I was wondering if two weeks and a few days, or shorter, would still be doable.

My prior hiking experience includes some backpacking in the Pemigewasset Wilderness of the Whites (about a week, though very slow going) and hiking from a bit north of the Mahoosucs to Pinkham Notch in the Whites (about two weeks, still slow going but some rough days).

If I felt too rushed, I'd be willing to do only part of the LT-- probably the portion that isn't contiguous with the AT, as I plan a thru-hike in the future and will see that part anyways -- though I'd prefer doing the entire trail. I'd most likely hike it alone (I hope you don't think I'm too young, I'll be 18 by then). What do you think would make the most sense?

Montana Mac
03-19-2011, 17:58
This is a link to Trail Journals of people that have hiked the Long Trail. Read a few over and it may help you. Also do a search on here.

Good Luck!

http://www.trailjournals.com/journals.cfm?sort=&year=2010&trail=other#The Long Trail - Vermont

Montana Mac
03-19-2011, 17:59
Also age and maturity are two different things. If you can do it I wouldn't worry about your age

Jeff
03-19-2011, 19:17
I encourage you to start at the MA border and hike north as far as time will allow. One of the benefits of hiking the portion contiguous with the AT is the terrrific interaction you will have with AT thruhikers and section hikers. You can pick up plenty of useful information especially if you plan to someday hike the Appalachian Trail.

The southern portion of the LT will also allow you to get your body in trail shape as it is somewhat less rugged terrain wise.

Also, in the first 50 miles you have 2 chances to easily get to town in Bennington and Manchester. If you need to modify or change out your gear, Manchester has two first class outfitters who can help.

4eyedbuzzard
03-19-2011, 19:37
I think it's a very tough hike given that you said you found the Pemi slow going. 18 days to do the LT would be close to 16 miles per day, and the section north of Maine Junction (where the AT splits off) is tougher than most all of the AT itself.

The section from Maine Junction to Trails End (northern terminus), or reverse direction, is about 180 miles. A much more realistic hike in 18 days. 10 miles per day may sound "too easy", but make no mistake, although very beautiful, it's a tough hike. Leaves time for any adjustments for bad weather, and a zero or two as well.

Mags
03-19-2011, 20:22
I think it's a very tough hike given that you said you found the Pemi slow going. 18 days to do the LT would be close to 16 miles per day, and the section north of Maine Junction (where the AT splits off) is tougher than most all of the AT itself.

\

My first long hike was the Long Trail . I was in worse shape than I am now (195 lbs on my 5'6" frame!!!), had a heavy pack (EMS 5500, whisper light stove, heavy leather boots. About 30 lbs base pack weight!) (http://www.pmags.com/the-evolving-gear-list-1997-%E2%80%93-2006) and I did it in 18 days just fine.

If you are on the trail by 7 or 8 am and willing to walk most of the day, 16 MPD is very doable.

If my younger, lard-ass self could do it with limited experience, don't see why the OP can't either.

Like the OP, I had done some backpacking in the Whites before then..but only a year before I did the LT! :)

Go for it. With the lighter packs carried today and maybe a base level of fitness that I really did not have, don't see why the OP can't do it either.

Most importantly, I think the OP will find the LT to be a wonderful, rewarding little trail. I know I did!

(Today? My older..but leaner, experienced and more in-shape self, would see 16 MPD as chill! :D)

Slo-go'en
03-19-2011, 21:54
Since you have a limted amount of time and from what you say aren't a real strong hiker, I would also suggest the southern half of the LT. With luck, maybe you could get as far as Camels Hump. North of there is were it really starts to get difficult.

Cool Hands
03-19-2011, 22:25
My prior hiking experience includes some backpacking in the Pemigewasset Wilderness of the Whites (about a week, though very slow going) and hiking from a bit north of the Mahoosucs to Pinkham Notch in the Whites (about two weeks, still slow going but some rough days).

I'm sorry, I believe some of you are misunderstanding me.

I was with a hiking group on both of those trips (the Appalachian Mountain Club's Teen Wilderness program), and I meant to say that I found their itinerary slow going -- rather, we went at a far slower pace than I would have preferred.

16 miles a day would be too much, it sounds like -- and I hear the northern portion is far more scenic as well, so I might do just that -- even if I miss out on the thru-hikers passing through.

Cool Hands
03-19-2011, 22:36
My first long hike was the Long Trail . I was in worse shape than I am now (195 lbs on my 5'6" frame!!!), had a heavy pack (EMS 5500, whisper light stove, heavy leather boots. About 30 lbs base pack weight!) (http://www.pmags.com/the-evolving-gear-list-1997-%E2%80%93-2006) and I did it in 18 days just fine.

If you are on the trail by 7 or 8 am and willing to walk most of the day, 16 MPD is very doable.

If my younger, lard-ass self could do it with limited experience, don't see why the OP can't either.

Like the OP, I had done some backpacking in the Whites before then..but only a year before I did the LT! :)

Go for it. With the lighter packs carried today and maybe a base level of fitness that I really did not have, don't see why the OP can't do it either.

Most importantly, I think the OP will find the LT to be a wonderful, rewarding little trail. I know I did!

(Today? My older..but leaner, experienced and more in-shape self, would see 16 MPD as chill! :D)

Then again, from what you say, Mags, maybe I could try the whole thing... I'm a somewhat shy person, especially since I'll feel pretty young amongst so many adults and seasoned thru-hikers, so I probably wouldn't want alot of down time at shelters. One thing I could do: go out for a 4 day or so hike in late June/early July and see at what pace I could travel. From 6am to 6 pm at even 1.5 miles per hour would be 18 miles. Hmmmm, I'll have to think about it... :-?

jlore
03-19-2011, 22:56
i am considering doing the part of the LT that isn't with the AT (north of killington) if i do it this summer i was planning on starting aug. 1st. PM me if you're interested in maybe meeting up.

Mags
03-20-2011, 19:00
go out for a 4 day or so hike in late June/early July and see at what pace I could travel. From 6am to 6 pm at even 1.5 miles per hour would be 18 miles. Hmmmm, I'll have to think about it... :-?

Good idea! :)

guthook
03-20-2011, 19:14
I agree with Mags. You can totally do it in the time frame you have set out if you stay focused. Sixteen miles per day average is a bit high for your first solo long distance hike, but it's far from unheard of.

Also, did I miss something.... would you be willing to hike as far as you can in the first two weeks, then come back during the second time frame and hike what's left? That would obviously eat up more of your summer, but if seeing the whole trail is something you really want to do it couldn't hurt to think of that as an option.

Regardless of how you do it, you've got a good adventure laid out for yourself. I say go for it!

Driver8
03-20-2011, 20:35
I agree with Mags. You can totally do it in the time frame you have set out if you stay focused. Sixteen miles per day average is a bit high for your first solo long distance hike, but it's far from unheard of.

Also, did I miss something.... would you be willing to hike as far as you can in the first two weeks, then come back during the second time frame and hike what's left? That would obviously eat up more of your summer, but if seeing the whole trail is something you really want to do it couldn't hurt to think of that as an option.

Regardless of how you do it, you've got a good adventure laid out for yourself. I say go for it!

I like Guthook's thinking, Cool Hands. Do the AT part in your first window, which would rugged you up for the northerly part in your second. Probably you'd time left over on the second leg - would make for less stress.

Cool Hands
03-20-2011, 20:48

Thank you! It's funny that that hadn't occurred to me before, that sounds like a definite plan, depending on how many miles I decide I can manage daily. That's still a thru-hike in my book, too -- just with about 23 zero days :D.

Cool Hands
03-20-2011, 20:54
i am considering doing the part of the LT that isn't with the AT (north of killington) if i do it this summer i was planning on starting aug. 1st. PM me if you're interested in maybe meeting up.

Maybe I'll see you on the trail! I'm going to wait to figure out my exact plan first, but I'll let you know.

Papa D
03-20-2011, 21:07
If you P/M me, I'll send you my complete LT itinerary from '10 - I think a 18 day hike would be just fine - we did 22 days but, for experienced hikers, moved at a leisurely pace. I can also make some other recs for you - transportation, shelters, etc

blitz1
03-21-2011, 16:46
I love the LT, but it is pretty rugged, and some sections, like around Mt Mansfield are tougher/mile than almost any part of the AT that I've hiked (Mahoosucs are tough too). It sounds like you'll be well prepared though, and your expectations sound reasonable. It's always good to have flexibility in your plans in case you decide you want to spend some extra time along the way, or weather is bad, or etc....

stranger
03-21-2011, 18:40
On my first Long Trail hike we hiked the trail in 26 days total, I was 18 and relatively inexperienced, and hiked with my then girlfriend.

Some points to consider:
- 4 of those 26 days were pre-planned zeros
- 4 other days were 'half days' or less than 8-10 miles
- We both carried heavy loads, her about 30, me about 40
- We did no training prior to leaving
- I never found any particular day 'overly' difficult

Yes, the Long Trail is difficult, more difficult than anything along the AT south of Hanover, but the AT is not a tough trail overall, so comparing it to the AT is a little unfair in my opinion.

If you hike in summer and are moving by 8am, that will leave you 12 hours of daylight (you could start 2 hours earlier), even if you are moving at the relatively slow pace of 2 miles per hour, and taking 2 hours off...you could hike 20 miles per day. At 1.75 miles per hour, you're at 17.5 miles per day over 10 hours. And if for some reason you can only manage 1.5 miles per day, at 18 years young...you could cut down your break times, hike for 11 hours and still do close to 17 miles per day if you wanted to.

Like many hikes, town will probabaly dictate more than the actual trail when it comes to timeframes. So you plan to average 16 miles per day and you wake up one morning and the Inn At Long Trail is just a few miles up the trail....what to do? Staying their means having to make up miles, passing by might be considered crazy...how would you handle this?

I would go for the whole thing, starting up North, in the event you are tight on time you will be able to make up miles in the much easier southern AT section, going Nobo, making up miles will prove challenging, as the trail doesn't let up until Johnson, and even then it's hardly noticable in my opinion.

Worst case scenario, upon arriving at the Inn at Long Trail, you have a bowl of stew, shower and read a book in front of the large fireplace, not a bad way to end a hike. Then catch a bus to Rutland.

mirabela
03-21-2011, 19:56
You can absolutely do it. It will help a lot if you have a few things dialed in from the get-go.

Be fit. I don't know what your lifestyle is like, but be as fit as you can be when you start.
Have your gear situation worked out. Go as light as you are able. Do a shakedown trip of a night or two with exactly the stuff you anticipate using. Work out the bugs beforehand.
Arrange some support, so you don't have to blow half a day or a day getting into Manchester or Rutland for a resupply.
It sounds like you're intending this anyway, but -- go northbound. The easier AT end will get you ready for the tougher stuff to come.
Bank miles early on. A 20 mile day in the Stratton - Bromley corridor is a whole different deal than, say, Jonesville to Mansfield.
Don't get scared off the trail by rain. Averages suffer when you spend days sitting still. Just stay off the ridges in lightning.

Anyway ... good luck & have fun. I was just 18 when I finished the LT (I hiked the bulk of it in three section hikes, with a few shorter legs to hook them together). I didn't take much longer than you're talking about, though of course I had the advantage of R&R between outings.

10-K
03-21-2011, 20:03
Also, in the first 50 miles you have 2 chances to easily get to town in Bennington and Manchester. If you need to modify or change out your gear, Manchester has two first class outfitters who can help.

Definitely go into Manchester - best trail town ever.

Papa D
03-21-2011, 21:33
Here are your stops:
Manchester Center (just because 10-K says so) (2-3 days in)
Rutland / Killington (w/ beer at Inn at Long Trail) taxi there too to Rutland
(6 days from start)
Waitsfield - AP Gap
(in 4-5 more days)
Johnson - walk / hitch into town - everything you need
(4 days more)
17-18 day trip total? aggressive, but totally doable.
if I was going to skip one of these though - just due to spacing, it would be Manchester - sorry 10-K - it is a great town, just too early on a LT hike to need to re-supply there in my opinion

Mags
03-21-2011, 22:25
When I did my first LT hike, I resupplied at the Inn at Long Trail (no longer on the trail, but still a quick side trip) via a UPS mail drop. Easy to get into Rutland as well.

Rt 15/Johnson (Good sized grocery store BTW)

Maildrop at Jonesville PO. You can hitch into nearby towns as well.

That's it.

Then, as now, I'd rather not hitch if I can avoid it. For comparatively short trips, maildrops can make sometimes make sense esp. if I just want to blow in and out of a place. Plus, I like being in town less and out on the trail more.

Many so called-fast hikers (myself included) just hike all day and make our town stops infrequent and short.

stranger
03-22-2011, 06:47
When I hiked I did the following around resupply:

1. Manchester - buy
2. Inn at LT - maildrop
3. Jonesville - maildrop
4. Johnson - buy

If I were to go again, I would add Waitsfield and just send a tiny drop to Jonesville, breaking up that 80+ mile carry in the middle, and Waitsfield is much easier to get into than Bristol.

pedxing
03-24-2011, 15:13
18 days is definitely possible. I've met novice backpackers on the trail who were moving at a much faster pace than that. I did it in 18 days last year at age 53 going North to South. This still allowed time for some extras - bushwhacks to neighboring peaks, swimming stops, four slower days when I met up with and hiked with my wife, driving around to reposition my car, stopping early to stay with a friend near the trail and so on.

Guthook's idea makes great sense - hike what you can without feeling the pressure to finish and then come back for what you missed later on.\

The south is an easier place to start - you can ease in, talk to lots of hikers - get in town easily to resupply and make gear adjustments - buying the thing you really wished you had or sending home stuff you wish you had left behind. You'll have some comfort with the trail, some rhythm and will probably be stronger when you hit the more remote and rugged areas of the North.

On the other hand, the North is splendid and if you like solitude there is something nice about starting there and about moving in the opposite direction from the majority of the hikers. There are also a lot more options for getting off the trail and to public transportation in the southern stretches of the trail.

I also agree with Stranger's supply stop list, including Waitsfield being an easier hitch than Bristol - though Bristol isn't that hard to get to and it is a great little town.

StubbleJumper
03-24-2011, 19:04
Here are your stops:
Manchester Center (just because 10-K says so) (2-3 days in)
Rutland / Killington (w/ beer at Inn at Long Trail) taxi there too to Rutland
(6 days from start)

Umm...6 days to the Inn? As I recall, that's like 104 miles. And then you need to add Pine Cobble Trail or the AT from North Adams to the VT line. So what's that in total? Something like 107 miles over 6 days?

Personally, I couldn't do it. The southern portion is the easier part, but it's still a good hike. Starting from zero and banging off 6 consecutive 18-mile days is a hell of shock.

Cool Hands
03-24-2011, 20:35
Thanks for the input everybody. I'll have quite alot to think about over the next few months, but I feel that I will definitely hike at least the northern section of the LT over the summer. It's especially a real help to hear about resupplying, trail towns, and mileage planning, as I've never really had any experience with any of that, regardless of experience with purchasing proper gear. I'll be browsing the forums quite often to find out how I can manage the hike.

ShelterLeopard
03-24-2011, 20:39
Cool hands- I'm in the same situation! (Although I took three years off between high school and college, so I'm a fair bit older than you). I have to decide where I'm headed as well- if I decide on one school, I won't be heading there until January, so I'd be doing the LT in September. Good luck, and you sound like you have a good pre freshman year time planned!