PDA

View Full Version : Elkwallow loop - 3 days

Rocket Jones
03-19-2011, 21:29
Going for a 3 day loop around Elkwallow at the end of April with a couple of coworkers. Thinking of AT to Neighbor Mountain trail, to Knob Mountain trail, Heiskell Hollow to the Tuscarora/Overall Run trail, then back on the AT to Elkwallow.

Other than detouring up Jeremy's Run a ways, are there any decent campsites heading up Knob Mountain? How about on the Overall Run trail?

Thanks.

Furlough
03-20-2011, 08:23
Going for a 3 day loop around Elkwallow at the end of April with a couple of coworkers. Thinking of AT to Neighbor Mountain trail, to Knob Mountain trail, Heiskell Hollow to the Tuscarora/Overall Run trail, then back on the AT to Elkwallow.

Other than detouring up Jeremy's Run a ways, are there any decent campsites heading up Knob Mountain? How about on the Overall Run trail?

Thanks.

I hiked through that area 2-3 years back, but started at Elk Wallow Wayside to Knob Mtn Cutoff Trail then up and over Knob Mtn Trail. I camped down below along Jeremy's Run. Coming up Knob Mtn from the opposite direction like I think you are, you may be able to find a couple of good spots to camp once you pass the summit of Knob Mtn and start heading down. After you pass the concrete post near the summit, the trail opens up onto an old logging or fire road. There is a stretch of that road/trail that is fairly wide and open - along here you might find a couple of spots. But it will be dry camping, so tank up down at Jeremy's run before heading up.

Furlough

Blissful
03-20-2011, 08:34
Jeremy's Run has the best campsites and water of course (a few are located opposite the stream from the trail)). Knob mtn really had nothing and dry as a bone. But there was one small site on the shoulder that I stayed at in '06 coming up from Jeremy's Run. I have not been to Overall Run in years, though I need to get back there. Sure you could find something in that area.

Rocket Jones
03-20-2011, 09:00
Thanks. I knew Knob Mountain was dry and had already planned to bring water with us up from Jeremy's run.

My original idea was to avoid the crowd that might be hiking Jeremy's run, but now I'm thinking that it might be better to hike up that trail rather than Knob Mountain. We can then use the cutoff trail to catch the last of Knob Mountain and continue on our original route.

No worries either way. It's going to be a great hike. Thanks again!

Furlough
03-20-2011, 09:30
Definitely can't go wrong with Jeremy's Run.

It occurs to me that you, Blissful and I seem to respond to a lot of the same SNP threads. Maybe one day we should all meet up for a hike.

Enjoy you hike.

Furlough