PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think of My Wishlist?

Flaps15
03-19-2011, 23:25
Here's an REI wishlist. I've been hiking a few times and have finally come across the money to "splurge" on equipment. I'll hike the 75 mi. GA Corridor of the trail this summer, any thoughts?

I know my Bear Grylls knife is kind of lame/overkill... but i like the color scheme, is that materialistic of me? :D

Flaps15
03-19-2011, 23:26
oh, and here's the WL.

http://www.rei.com/wishlist?storeId=8000&id=81e76ec0-72db-4a5b-8139-7bdc6d1b81df

Sierra Echo
You arent going to get a lot in that pack.

ShelterLeopard
Soooo, where's the list? (I may just be missing a link you included... My computer is slow and old)

ShelterLeopard
03-19-2011, 23:27
Got it- where's your Thermarest NeoAir? My favorite thing in my pack, I think. SO COMFORTABLE!!!

ShelterLeopard
03-19-2011, 23:29
Hammock in addition to the tent? Worth it. Everyone will tell you to trim it from your pack, but I carried a small parachute hammock (only for a few weeks, after I'd really gotten in shape) in addition to my tent and loved having it.

Flaps15
03-19-2011, 23:50
You arent going to get a lot in that pack.

Sierra, what pack would you suggest? I had a bigger one but i was told that it could end up being too much.

Also, I see we are neighbors. I live in Charleston but originally from Savannah.

Sierra Echo
03-19-2011, 23:55
Sierra, what pack would you suggest? I had a bigger one but i was told that it could end up being too much.

Also, I see we are neighbors. I live in Charleston but originally from Savannah.

I love Savannah on the weekends! That pulp mill near pooler is a killer! ugh!
Try this pack!
http://www.rei.com/product/778468

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 00:01
I will definitely study that one. And yeah, Savannah has tons of odd smells. The Mills, the marshes... the ghetto. I used to visit Buford when I was young(er). I'm 21 now, but I used to go to Jekyll Island which i guess is close.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Sierra Echo
03-20-2011, 00:05
I will definitely study that one. And yeah, Savannah has tons of odd smells. The Mills, the marshes... the ghetto. I used to visit Buford when I was young(er). I'm 21 now, but I used to go to Jekyll Island which i guess is close.

LOL actually buford is about 40 miles north of atlanta!

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 00:07

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 00:24
^ whoops. & WHOOPS on the Buford thing. I've never been there. hahah, I don't even know what I'm thinking about. I'm sure it's lovely there. haahaha

tuswm
03-20-2011, 00:41
I had that tent. its big and heavy. good price though and its REI so if you ever have a problem.......its a lot of weight to carry on the AT where most people mostly use shelters.

I dont think you will be able to get that tent and a synthetic bag in your back pack at the same time. read more about your big four. They cost the most , take up the most room, and weigh the most.

A decent larger pack http://www.rei.com/product/778468
I made the mistake of buying a few things the first time around for full price that I ended up just getting rid of. When I started helping my friends get gear we would camp out in front of REI for the attic sale. If you get lucky you can get everything you need for the price of a pack.

But that is just My opinion and I have never seen any one on the trail with all the same gear I have. Dont worry too much about the gear, just get out these.

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 01:18
That pack was suggested earlier... it must be decent.

The big four being The pack, the tent, the bag, and what else? Rations?

tuswm
03-20-2011, 01:22
sleeping pad

The backpack looks like a nice pack but small. that would never work in cold weather. also the back pack needs to fit with the gear. that is a small back pack and a big sleeping bag and tent.

Flaps15
03-22-2011, 03:54
What do you think about the new backpack, tent, sleeping bag combo i've got going on now? I'm learning as I go. Remember, this is for a GA Section in Late May / Early June

58starter
03-22-2011, 08:42
Tractor Supply has really large bandanas for $1 each, several colors. That will save you $2.50 right there

KYLarry
03-22-2011, 09:53
I would look for a lighter sleeping bag. The price is certainly right on the one you have scoped, but you won't be able to compress it much. I would suggest something of the down variety. It will cost you more, but will take up a lot less room in your pack.

Tinker
03-22-2011, 10:23
What do you think about the new backpack, tent, sleeping bag combo i've got going on now? I'm learning as I go. Remember, this is for a GA Section in Late May / Early June
You have new choices which are different from your original list, or did you change the items on the list?
The tent seems to be fine, The sleeping bag (15 degree??) is way overkill. You'll probably be fine with a 40 degree bag. Buy a warmer one when you need it later. On cold nights you can wear extra clothing in the bag for more warmth if necessary.
Backpacks are extremely personal items. One size, like shoes, doesn't fit all- for example: there are very few people I've met that prefer to carry a frameless pack as I do, but it works for me. Packs with frames usually can be adjusted to fit a wide range of people. Frameless packs must fit the user very well or they won't be comfortable. Try before you buy if you can.

leaftye
03-22-2011, 10:27
The REI Flash 65 pack is plenty big, but you have a big synthetic sleeping bag, a tent plus tarp and hammock. Switch to a more compact down sleeping bag and ditch the compression bag and you'll be off to a great start. Even better if you replace the tent with a net tent like Bear Paw Tents sells or switch to a lightweight hammock that has netting so that you could use that on the ground like a bivy.

Demillo
03-23-2011, 11:41
For what its worth, I love my Slumberjack SuperGuide sleeping back that I purchased from Campmor. It's a 30 degree bag and compresses down very well. The weight is 2lb 13 oz which isn't super light, but it's not TOO heavy. Here is a link

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___68549

tuswm
03-23-2011, 17:08
get a friend that knows gear and be first inline at the REI attic sale