PDA

View Full Version : Maps Maps Maps

cyclocrosser
01-13-2005, 18:51
Trying to finish planning my thru hike, almost done with gear, but the most important thing is planning the actual hike and I can't do that without maps. What are the best maps at the lowest prices without any extra crap (like the AT guide books for each state)? And are there maps made specifically for the AT rather than maps that happen to have the AT on them? Not starting till
June 1, so I have a little time.

chris
01-13-2005, 18:56
You cnan buy the maps without the guidebooks from the ATC. Order from their website. Or, post look around here and www.trailforums.com to see if anyone is selling a set. If you want to be real cheap and have access to a printer at work, and way too much time on your hands. Use www.topozone.com and print out all the USGS topos. The scale isn't right at all, and it will take forever. Note that this is now the standard process for CDT maps, except Jonathan Ley did all the work in advance and now all you have to do is get a (free) CD for him. Why hasn't anyone done this for the AT?

01-13-2005, 19:19
I understand the need for the maps and planning. However it has been my experiance that they almost get in the way. They just bring in more info to process than is needed. I would just plan using the data book and companion or Wingfoot's book. It is all that you need. IMO.

That being said I would not hike with out the maps. After all that is how I got my trail name.

MOWGLI
01-13-2005, 19:22
That being said I would not hike with out the maps. After all that is how I got my trail name.

I thought your name came from your chiseled good looks. :D

Peaks
01-13-2005, 19:52
I understand the need for the maps and planning. However it has been my experiance that they almost get in the way. They just bring in more info to process than is needed. I would just plan using the data book and companion or Wingfoot's book. It is all that you need. IMO.

It's irresponsible to go hiking anywhere without maps.

The problem that I have with TOPO! is that they are based on USGS maps and USGS maps have not been updated for many of the trail relocations over the past couple of decades. Your best maps are the maps sold by ATC.

Jack Tarlin
01-13-2005, 19:59
Geez, maybe I'm not reading it right, but I have a bit of a problem with Profile's post:

He says that in his experience, maps get in the way, provide more info than one needs, and that all one really needs is combo of the Companion and Data Book or Wingfoot's Handbook.

He then concludes by saying he wouldn't hike out without maps.

Is this a mixed message or what?

C. Crosser, here's another opinion: Most folks, like you, don't think they need the Trail Guides. But in my opinion, maps are of vital importance on a thru-hike.....or any other hike, for that matter. I think you're wise to add them to your gear list.

chris
01-13-2005, 20:08
It's irresponsible to go hiking anywhere without maps.

Nonsense. I do this all the time on trails that I know well, in areas that I know well, where the trail is easy to follow, where the consequences of getting lost are minimal, and where I know the water locations already.

I bring maps when I might have to do some route finding, or if I'm on a longer trek in unfamiliar areas. That being said, bring maps for your AT hike. I say this to hopefully avoid being called reckless and irresponsible. By the way I carried maps with me for Virginia on my last section hike.

Jack Tarlin
01-13-2005, 20:19
I'm not sure it really matters if your chances of getting lost, or the consequences of getting lost are "minimal."

After all, nobody ever plans on getting lost. But it happens.

Maps are also useful for all sorts of other things: Finding alternate, quicker ways out of the woods rather than retracing one's steps or marching further down a trail; finding alternate water sources; finding roads, and seeing where they end up, etc.

Emergencies sometimes occur even in areas that a hiker might know intimately.

Every Search and Rescue professional I've ever met has stressed the importance of always carrying a map, just as every one of these folks can tell you some very sad stories about what befell smart, knowledgable, experienced folks who, for whatever reason, chose not to.

foggy-bottom
01-13-2005, 20:24
Those damn things. If I dident have that map in my hand i felt like i was standing naked. With that being said I think they are a must.
Foggy-Bottom

Lone Wolf
01-13-2005, 20:24
Cyclocrosser, get the maps. Minimal cost/weight. They will save your ass or someone else's. It's a no-brainer.

The Old Fhart
01-13-2005, 21:00
Profile- "However it has been my experiance that they almost get in the way. They just bring in more info to process than is needed." Actually I've never had a map force infomation on me or get in my way. :)

However, in an emergency, a map (and compass) could be critical. I've hiked in the Whites for over 45 years and no matter how well I know the area, I always have a map with me. A map can be thought of as like a first aid kit, you may never need it, but if it isn't there and there is a problem, you can't use it. If you get caught and it is foggy, turns dark, etc. or you go off the trail, a map and compass could mean the difference between life and death. Not carrying maps to save a couple of oz. is not wise.

I also like to look at the maps, check the profile, and see what I have in front of me for a climb. I have never found too much information to be a bad thing. If you understand maps you can look at one and just get the information you need. Kind of like looking up a word in the dictionary, you don't have to start at the beginning and read the whole book to get to the information you need. As I mentioned in another thread, I've been an instructor in mountain safety workshops and after about 23 years of teaching map and compass, I believe they are necessary.

Youngblood
01-13-2005, 22:05
Geez, why are you guys picking on Profile? :) Cyclocrosser had said he didn't think he could do his initial planning until he got a set of maps. When Profile said that maps bring more info to the process than is needed and that they almost get in the way, he was talking about the planning process... and he is right about the planning process.

Youngblood

The Gnome
01-13-2005, 22:27
I’m a Map-aholic (is that a cartophile?).
I work at the PATC HQ in Vienna and I’ll spend lots of free time studying their map collection.
The PATC (www.PATC.net) has an excellent selection of maps covering their reporting area. The other clubs have similar sales outlets or you can get maps or you can use http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/thru_hike/pubs.html.

O.K. Sales pitch over: I’ve never taken a Map on a section hike. They are too heavy.
I’ve used maps as a study aid at home base to organize hiker pickup and drop off and to spot side trails to civilization, but I’ve only ever taken on the trail a set of crib notes extracted from the Data book.
This reduces the data content to the absolute minimum and allows me add details such as intra-shelter distances and the dates at which I expect to reach those shelters. The big print version of these notes is pinned to the refrigerator, in case I need rescuing.
BUT … Last time out I got lost for several hours in a section very badly blazed, caught an infection and decided to come off. I was very happy to be able to read the details of a nearby town and hotel from the Companion belonging to my shelter buddy.
That incident has convinced me that the Companion is probably worth the weight for anyone attempting a thru-hike.
If you have a support team (aka: wife, sibling or parents), a road atlas normally has the A.T. marked and this is sufficient for them to find you at road crossings.

Of course, some peoples' idea of planning is to fly to Georgia and start walking North, following the little white line!

Frosty
01-13-2005, 23:23
I’ve never taken a Map on a section hike. They are too heavy.You must be using the old style chiseled into granite slabs. They have new versions now, printed on paper.

01-14-2005, 00:12
Geez, maybe I'm not reading it right, but I have a bit of a problem with Profile's post:

He says that in his experience, maps get in the way, provide more info than one needs, and that all one really needs is combo of the Companion and Data Book or Wingfoot's Handbook.

He then concludes by saying he wouldn't hike out without maps.

Is this a mixed message or what?

To explain. He said plan for the hike. This is where I do not recomend the maps.

When hiking carry maps for use. I always carry maps.

dperry
01-14-2005, 02:49
Use www.topozone.com (http://www.topozone.com/) and print out all the USGS topos. The scale isn't right at all, and it will take forever. Note that this is now the standard process for CDT maps, except Jonathan Ley did all the work in advance and now all you have to do is get a (free) CD for him. Why hasn't anyone done this for the AT?They already did. It's called the Maptech CD-Rom set. Cyclocrosser, if you don't mind spending the 50 bucks, I strongly recommend going to http://www.maptech.com (http://www.maptech.com/) (they no longer sell them at the ATC site, apparently) and getting this. It contains topos of the entire trail with the path of the trail drawn on, plus shelter info and 95% of the official trail guides (for whatever reason, most of PA is taken from another source.) It's a little out of date (2000), but not horrendously so, not to mention you can get maps of most of the major relocations from the ATC site. This is particularly good for elevation info, as a.) you can zoom in on particular areas of the profile, which also helps some with the distortion problem, and b.) you can look at the maps themselves in 3-D, which is a big help in visualizing just how steep and long that climb is going to be. I am so doing Mahoosuc Arm southbound.:D A copy of the Companion will update any supply, hostel, etc. info necessary.

Also, for those who have noted that the AT maps don't show much to the sides of the trail, the Delorme maps are helpful in this regard; they show the route of the trail, contour lines, and all road crossings; some of them also show major side trails, as well. The one problem is, they do get a bit expensive; check your local library and see if they might have them. (I am fortunate in that I still live close by to my old college library, and they have a complete set.)

chris
01-14-2005, 11:17
They already did. It's called the Maptech CD-Rom set. Cyclocrosser, if you don't mind spending the 50 bucks, I strongly recommend going to http://www.maptech.com (http://www.maptech.com/) (they no longer sell them at the ATC site, apparently) and getting this.

I was thinking more along the lines of: 1) Free (or nominal) and 2) Updated yearly, like Jonathan does it. I've got too much laziness in my spine to do such a thing, but perhaps someone out there has more spirit that I do.

WalkinHome
01-14-2005, 17:55
I usually don't get involved with these types of back and forths but this one strikes close to home and some of you know why. It is very heartening to see the "trail" community, past, present and future, doing all they can to support the local clubs and the ATC that keep the trail in passable condition for you. Things like maps and guidebooks are major sources of revenue for the clubs. Thank you - rant over - sleep now.

Jack Tarlin
01-14-2005, 18:01
WalkinHome is much too modest. What he didn't say is that he's the editor of the recent edition of the Maine Guidebook and Map Set, published by the Maine A.T. Club.

In the almost ten years that I've been associated with the Trail, this is without exception, the finest work of this sort that I've seen or used in the field, in fact, no other State or Section Guidebook/Map Set comes anywhere close to this one in terms of accuracy, readability, and usefulness. It is an extraordinarily well-done piece of work,; Ray and the other MATC folks who worked on it deserve our congratulations and thanks, and anyone who's thinking of hiking on the A.T. in Maine anytime soon would be absolutley crazy not to get their hands on a copy.

rocket04
01-14-2005, 20:52
In the almost ten years that I've been associated with the Trail, this is without exception, the finest work of this sort that I've seen or used in the field, in fact, no other State or Section Guidebook/Map Set comes anywhere close to this one in terms of accuracy, readability, and usefulness. Here's an example of how good this map set is, to complement Jack's comments. I ran into some SOBOs in the Whites, and they didn't have the companion or handbook. I was rather surprised by this, but here's why. They had just gone through Maine with the map set and it was so good they figured it was all they needed. Until they got other maps mailed to them for NH and realized that they were nowhere near as good as the Maine ones. So they had to come up with a plan B! Yeah, the Maine map set is that good.

Icicle
01-15-2005, 17:57
We got some really great maps from antigravitygear.com

They double as bandanas. Granted they don't have a lot of the details of conventional maps, but the detail they do have is really helpful! We are really happy with them.

LIhikers
01-18-2005, 09:34
Cyclocrosser, get the maps. Minimal cost/weight. They will save your ass or someone else's. It's a no-brainer.
On a section hike , this past summer, in Pennsylvania that's just what happened to my wife and me. A rock climber had fallen and his brother had called 911 and EMS coming to an ovsevatory field. As we walked by, the brother, who was near panic, asked me to help him with his brother and for my wife to go to the ovservatory field. Not being familiar with the area my wife dropped her pack, checked our map, and took off for the field. She was able to lead EMS back to the spot all because we were carrying maps.

Jack Tarlin
01-18-2005, 17:11
And without them, you'd still be there.

This was kind of the point I was trying to make.

MedicineMan
11-07-2005, 07:00
has anyone seen the Elavation Profile of the Appalachian Trail that is maintained by the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club?
This wont do for some but I love it....the profile covers the area maintained by the PATC and is broken down into 3 profiles with a nice margin between the three. In the margin I've been adding notes applicable to my hikes in that region. My question is do any other maintaining clubs offer such a map?

And another question. Is there a way to get the entire AT's profile on one long continuous printout? I've got a map room and would love to go around the top of the wall with a border and cant think of a better one than the AT profile.

justusryans
11-07-2005, 08:26
Is there a way to get the entire AT's profile on one long continuous printout? I've got a map room and would love to go around the top of the wall with a border and cant think of a better one than the AT profile.

That is such a cool idea!:clap

c.coyle
11-07-2005, 10:20
Last weekend my wife and I hiked from Lehigh Gap to Little Gap in Pa. The NOBO climb out of Lehigh Gap is very steep, open, and rocky. There are a few spots where a slip could get you seriously hurt, or worse. A guy about 60 was hiking with us, and he planned on turning around at Little Gap and heading back. He remarked that he wasn't looking forward to making such a hairy descent at the end of an 11 mile hike. We suggested he take the safer "winter trail" at the Lehigh Gap end.

He had no clue he had a safer option until we pointed it out on the map.

Gray Blazer
11-07-2005, 10:33
I was going to say www.maptech.com (http://www.maptech.com) is a great site, but someone else already did. To get an example of how to use it, type in Beauty Spot, TN and then start following the trail on the map. Great Site.