PDA

View Full Version : Herniated disc's

HiKen2011
03-20-2011, 12:53
My back has flared up again, had many shots, but aggravating not to be able to do what you want or need to do at times. Walking does seem to help except when it's really bad. Bummer.

4eyedbuzzard
03-20-2011, 13:37
I feel for ya. I've blown out L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1 over the past 8 years. Went through two months of paralysis in the left leg and some muscle atrophy / wasting with the second injury. Had to go back to college, change careers, etc. But, on the plus side, I can still hike, play golf, swim, and do many things as long as they don't require a lot of lifting or funny motions. Just have to accept the limitations and be happy with what you can do.

Keep the pack weight down as much as possible. Do all those core strengthening exercises, etc. as well as walking. My base weight without food and water is under 15 lbs now for New England conditions (35 to 40 degree minimum temps). I also went to using an Aarn bodypack. It distributes the weight better front to back so my posture with the pack on is much more upright. I've got the Peak Aspiration model and it's perfect for up to a week with 3 season gear for me.

Keep on truckin'.

HiKen2011
03-20-2011, 14:17
I feel for ya. I've blown out L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1 over the past 8 years. Went through two months of paralysis in the left leg and some muscle atrophy / wasting with the second injury. Had to go back to college, change careers, etc. But, on the plus side, I can still hike, play golf, swim, and do many things as long as they don't require a lot of lifting or funny motions. Just have to accept the limitations and be happy with what you can do.

Keep the pack weight down as much as possible. Do all those core strengthening exercises, etc. as well as walking. My base weight without food and water is under 15 lbs now for New England conditions (35 to 40 degree minimum temps). I also went to using an Aarn bodypack. It distributes the weight better front to back so my posture with the pack on is much more upright. I've got the Peak Aspiration model and it's perfect for up to a week with 3 season gear for me.

Keep on truckin'.Thanks, inspiring!

Blissful
03-20-2011, 14:49
My hubby has a bad disc and had shots multiple times. He does okay with pack on and supportive footwear and powerstep insoles. The backpack seems to support his back.

Cookerhiker
03-20-2011, 15:48
My back has flared up again, had many shots, but aggravating not to be able to do what you want or need to do at times. Walking does seem to help except when it's really bad. Bummer.

My herniated disc struck in Spring '06. This thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14922) describes my and others' experiences and my ultimately successful treatment using spinal decompression. Here's one website for you: http://axiomworldwide.com/drx9000-lumbar.asp

This treatment is non-surgical, no drugs.

I began treatment in July '06 with 5 weeks of treatment, 4 days per week. By late August, I was hiking the John Muir Trail (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4830) - didn't finish but hiked >150 miles with no flare-ups of the disc.

Almost 5 years now and no problems.

Good luck! I've felt your pain!

BadAndy
03-20-2011, 17:39
I've got L4-5 and L5-S1 herniated but haven't had a real bad issue for a few years, after a lot of physical therapy and just generally being more careful. I'm still as physically active as ever. Walking was one thng that always gave me releif, even when it was bad. Even now, carrying a full pack (worn properly with most of the weight on my hips, mind you) doesn't bother me in the least.

RETCW4
03-20-2011, 21:20
I had a herniated disc on New Years Eve day. Spent the day in the hospital. A month later I saw a neurosergeon and he told me it would heal by itself from 6 weeks to 3 months. It's been almost 3 months and I feel about 90%. I still have pins & needle feelings on my outer calf and top of my foot on my left leg.

I planned on a thru hike April 2st of this year but now I will shoot for March 15th next year.

I am going to start hiking in May to work myself up to speed.

Good luck with your hiking.

Tumbleweed

smalls
03-22-2011, 17:03
I'm with ya, I'm really just coming back towards 100% after almost 5 years of fighting with an L5-S1 and L4-L5 herniation. Nerve degeneration, wasting, tingling, excrutiating sciatica, I saw it all.

I was lucky though. What finally did the job was physical therapy until I was reasonably mobile, and then a highly regimented workout program to build core strength, improve flexibility, and recover lost muscle mass. I have youth on my side though, and unfortunately a lot of folks who suffer this injury don't.

Look at all avenues of treatment before surgery. There are a lot of options these days.

As for hiking and camping, consider a hammock. That has done more to get me back in the woods than probably anything else, just because I can sleep without pain finally.

To quote Red Green: I'm pullin' for ya! We're all in this together.

-Smalls