PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hiking Boots for the Smokey's

Sapelo
03-20-2011, 18:50
I have a pair of Lowa Goretex GTX midweight boots that I wore on a winter overnight up Mt. Mitchell, NC, in January 2010. There was about 2 feet of snow on the trail and overnight lows were down in the single digits. I felt like they were a little bit on the light side for serious winter hiking and bushwacking in Western NC during harsh winter conditions. Normal winter conditions I am sure they would do fine. Does anyone have any recommendations for boots in similar conditions. I have done quite a bit of mountaineering with my Scarpa Invernos; however, I fel they are way overkill for anything I would face next winter in the Smokey's.

kayak karl
03-20-2011, 19:20
i ware these http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/ss11/shoes/men/trailhead/pyrenees/black

LoneRidgeRunner
03-20-2011, 19:39
I have a pair of Lowa Goretex GTX midweight boots that I wore on a winter overnight up Mt. Mitchell, NC, in January 2010. There was about 2 feet of snow on the trail and overnight lows were down in the single digits. I felt like they were a little bit on the light side for serious winter hiking and bushwacking in Western NC during harsh winter conditions. Normal winter conditions I am sure they would do fine. Does anyone have any recommendations for boots in similar conditions. I have done quite a bit of mountaineering with my Scarpa Invernos; however, I fel they are way overkill for anything I would face next winter in the Smokey's.

I live close to Mt Mitchell and have done considerable hiking there in the Winter and in a foot or 2 of snow and ice.. I use La Sportiva Lhotse boots....yes ..I know..they're heavy, stiff, and need to be worn a a lot even when not hiking to keep your feet used to wearing em...but they have never let my feet get wet, have great soles for traction in the snow, are step in cramon compatible, insulated, last forever ....Many of my Winter hikes have involved a lot of ice in addition to snow and I love those heavy, stiff boots when I run into that.. I also like the higher than average design for ankle support...