PDA

View Full Version : Got a pretty amazing deal today at Galyans/Dicks

RITBlake
01-14-2005, 00:27
Don't know if people have Galyans where they live but, they are a chain sporting goods store, and they have a pretty damn good camping/hiking section. 30+ bags to choose from , plenty of packs, and all the little stuff in between. Anyway they were bought out by Dicks Sporting Goods and so now Dicks has taken over, they are cutting down on the camping/hiking gear. SOOO... today I walk in and I picked up a beautiful Kelty Lightyear 45 bag with the Polarguard 3D insulation. Everything Kelty in the store ws 50% as was Marmot and Slumberjack. The price was marked at $99 and had already been knocked down to $79. Was out the door w/ the bag for 42 bucks.

I'm pumped, it feels good to put one over the man once in a while.

I'm heading back tomorrow to see what other 'steals' I can find. :clap

jeepcj258
01-14-2005, 09:59
WOW! you should feal really good about that, that is good deal, congrats.

God Bless
Seth

tlbj6142
01-14-2005, 14:47
Aqua Mira is only $0.73 normally $10. I bought 3 packages. Check the expiration date before purchasing (might have to open the package to see the date on the lower edge of one of the bottles).

Footslogger
01-14-2005, 14:55
Hmmm ...gotta check and see if those prices are only "in-store" or via website too. No Galyans out here by me in Wyoming.

'Slogger

Tim Rich
01-14-2005, 15:17
Don't know if people have Galyans where they live but, they are a chain sporting goods store, and they have a pretty damn good camping/hiking section. 30+ bags to choose from , plenty of packs, and all the little stuff in between. Anyway they were bought out by Dicks Sporting Goods and so now Dicks has taken over, they are cutting down on the camping/hiking gear. SOOO... today I walk in and I picked up a beautiful Kelty Lightyear 45 bag with the Polarguard 3D insulation. Everything Kelty in the store ws 50% as was Marmot and Slumberjack. The price was marked at $99 and had already been knocked down to $79. Was out the door w/ the bag for 42 bucks.

I'm pumped, it feels good to put one over the man once in a while.

I'm heading back tomorrow to see what other 'steals' I can find. :clap

Thanks for the heads up. Our Galyans here is massive, two stories with escalators. I don't know how they'll fill up the camping area. Does Dick's carry hunting supplies or guns, or did you notice if Galyans had any guns on sale?

Thanks,

Tim

UCONNMike
01-14-2005, 15:39
nice deal blake, one more item to check off the ole list, def stock up n the aqua mira if it is wicked cheap, and....aw heck ill just call you.

RITBlake
01-14-2005, 15:58
Thanks for the heads up. Our Galyans here is massive, two stories with escalators. I don't know how they'll fill up the camping area. Does Dick's carry hunting supplies or guns, or did you notice if Galyans had any guns on sale?

Thanks,
Tim
The one here is two stories as well w/ a 50 foot rock climbing wall. The whole store is cool its really a shame its been bought out. Yes, at Galyans they sell a TON of guns and hunting supplies not sure if the prices are being reduced by im 99% that they are. If you live near a Galyans check it out!

tlbj6142
01-14-2005, 16:20
Does Dick's carry hunting supplies or guns, or did you notice if Galyans had any guns on sale?The Dick's I've been to (Toledo, OH) are about the size of the first floor of a Galyans and seem to carry what is on the first floor of a Galyans and maybe just an isle or less of camping gear.

IOW, Dick's is more like a SportsMart.

SalParadise
01-14-2005, 16:51
I currently work at Dick's/Galyans in between my hiking. Since Dick's bought out Galyans, we're trying to get rid of all our Galyans murchandise, which is why there's big sales going on periodically, and at such a big discount, too. You probably won't find the sale murchandise on the web since Dick's runs the website now and they won't offer former Galyans murchandise on it.

yeah, pistols were 40% off, and good tents and some beautiful kayaks were all half off. All the good stuff sold out in about 48 hours, and a good lot of it to employees. Nothing beats a sweet $1200 Perception kayak for $600.

What was extra nice for me was I got my employee 30% discount AFTER the 50% sale price. I got my brother a $400 tent for $140.

If you happen to live by one, all the Galyans stores are switching over to Dicks' at different times, so you may yet be able to catch some big sales. Unfortunately, the sales come fairly suddenly, so you won't be able to call and see if they're running anything two weeks from now.

dje97001
01-14-2005, 17:08
I have to say that I'm disappointed Dick's is converting Galyan's stores. Dick's stores aren't nearly as fun, nor do they have the kind of selection that Galyan's does! Dick's seems to be a much more cheap/generic product store compared to what I always felt was a really awesome outdoor store (in Galyan's)--Galyan's always felt like your town's outdoor shop but with an amped up selection.

SalParadise
01-14-2005, 17:30
I have to say that I'm disappointed Dick's is converting Galyan's stores. Dick's stores aren't nearly as fun, nor do they have the kind of selection that Galyan's does! Dick's seems to be a much more cheap/generic product store compared to what I always felt was a really awesome outdoor store (in Galyan's)--Galyan's always felt like your town's outdoor shop but with an amped up selection.

yeah, not the first time I've heard that from customers. Dick's is about selling products that have a fast turnover, not about competing with the specialty stores for sales, which is why they run lower-end murchandise--and of course this is all just the humble opinion of a nobody employee, not the corporation.

As an experienced hiker, Dick's is the place I'd go to save a buck on a fuel cannister or get the Nalgene colour I've been looking for, but not to buy a lightweight tent. But when you consider how fast Dick's is growing, it's hard to argue with their philosophy.

Wouldn't it be funny if I said something bad about Dick's here, somebody from the company saw it, and they tracked me down and fired me? Actually, I probably would laugh.

RITBlake
01-14-2005, 17:31
yah.....:( I was pumped to get the bag so cheap but then I felt a little bummed that Galyans is no more, a real shame. Dicks sucks

grrickar
01-15-2005, 18:34
I checked out the clearance sale at Galyan's in VA, and found that they haven't discounted very many big ticket items. If you are into fishing or hunting just about everything in those departments was at least 20% off. Packs, bags, hiking boots were not on sale - yet.

I rummaged around on a clearance table and found three ATC maps, none of which had the book with them. They were just lying on the table by themselves. I knew that these typically came in a set, and I couldn't find a UPC barcode on any of them. I asked the manager how much they were, and he pointed out that there should have been a book and a few more maps in each set, then found the same thing I did - no UPCs on any of them - so - he told me that I could have them!

Since there were no more left, and since the sets had been busted up and several of the maps were missing, and the fact they had no barcodes to scan they had no way in inventory them or know how much to charge. I ended up getting the Springer to Bly Gap map, and the Bly Gap to Fontana Dam - for FREE! Sweeeeeet.

SalParadise
01-16-2005, 00:33
If you have a Galyans by you, they are all switching over to the Dick's murchandice at different times so will be on different timetables to make a big push to sell the old Galyans products.

Now this is assuming they'll probably have the same 50% off sale that we did, so if you have the time and patience, most of the products will be half off at some point in the next four months or so.

I just wanted to mention that in case it helps anybody.

Tim Rich
01-18-2005, 08:50
I currently work at Dick's/Galyans in between my hiking. Since Dick's bought out Galyans, we're trying to get rid of all our Galyans murchandise, which is why there's big sales going on periodically, and at such a big discount, too. You probably won't find the sale murchandise on the web since Dick's runs the website now and they won't offer former Galyans murchandise on it.

yeah, pistols were 40% off, and good tents and some beautiful kayaks were all half off. All the good stuff sold out in about 48 hours, and a good lot of it to employees. Nothing beats a sweet $1200 Perception kayak for $600.

What was extra nice for me was I got my employee 30% discount AFTER the 50% sale price. I got my brother a $400 tent for $140.

If you happen to live by one, all the Galyans stores are switching over to Dicks' at different times, so you may yet be able to catch some big sales. Unfortunately, the sales come fairly suddenly, so you won't be able to call and see if they're running anything two weeks from now.

I headed by my Cobb County, GA Galyans/Dicks this weekend and they had some items heavily discounted, but many of the items that were 20% off the "clearance" price had been marked down only two cents to end in $xx.97 to denote clearance pricing. All pistols disappeared from our Galyans when they changed hands (store worker said it had to do with the handgun licensing), and they pretty much confirmed what's been said here - Dicks is a high volume, fewer product lines sporting goods store.

Take Care,

Tim

RITBlake
01-18-2005, 23:36
went back to Galyans today....got four packs of AquaMira for 73 cents....normally 10 bucks a piece. Got a new tube for the platypus for 2 bucks normally 12. Thermarest Prolite 3 pad for 60 bucks. Amazing!!!

Although I didn't get one they were selling the collapsible camp chairs for $1.49, regular price $40.

grrickar
01-18-2005, 23:54
A funny thing happened while I was at Galyan's last weekend. Two guys were walking around with a salesperson, who appeared to be somewhat competent. The guy was loaded with gear - must have been buying everything at once - literally. He started naming packs, and while I did not overhear what packs he was inquiring about, I did overhear the salesperson exclaim - that is a 7000ci pack! That got my attention. The other guy replied 'yeah, that's what he wants'. I can only imagine how heavy a pack that size would be loaded. Never saw what the guy ended up with. I didn't see anything above 5000ci in their store.

RITBlake
01-19-2005, 01:18
hmm, must have been a big pack.

I walked the aisles at Galyans tonight and honestly, there must have been at least 10 aisles dedicated solely to backpacking and hiking. They had an entire aisle dedicated to headlamps. Another just for stoves and cookware. Another just for tents. Thats pretty impressive when you consider such selection is almost impossible to find in other 'chain stores.' Not to mention Galyans maintained knowledgable staff members (or made an effort to.) Try asking a clerk at a normal Dicks about their backpacking gear and the difference is night and day. I'm sad to see it go.

Fight the corporation, support your mom and pop.

*Edit* Yes I understand that Galyans isn't a mom and pop

Phorestfreak
01-19-2005, 14:57
Hey RITBlake I live in Hamden and have never heard of Galyans are you out of state somewhere? possibly in the tri-state area so it will be a close drive to scoop up some deals

RITBlake
01-19-2005, 16:12
Hey RITBlake I live in Hamden and have never heard of Galyans are you out of state somewhere? possibly in the tri-state area so it will be a close drive to scoop up some deals

Wish there was one, but I'm up at school in the Rochester, NY area.

Having said that...if any WB members have a particular Marmot, Kelty, Lafuma, or Slumberjack bag they had their eye on and want me to buy it for them at the crazy low prices they are offering I'd be happy to do it for ya.

They're out of Aqua Mira but there's some other really good deals on stoves, Leki poles and more. Let me know if you're interested I can stop by and see if they have what you want.

RITBlake
01-19-2005, 16:16
Forgot to mention Phorest that I'm from Cheshire, in fact I live right on the Hamden/Cheshire border...small world!

Mountain Dew
01-20-2005, 02:49
Galyans was a good store and if you were lucky the employees knew what they were talking about, but generally this wasn't the case. The Galyans in Dallas had a terrible selection of backpacking sleeping bags and a not so hot backpack selection. While Galyans did serve it's purpose I'm sure dicks will be terrible all around.

Nervewracker
01-21-2005, 23:03
I'm a gear scrounger from way back. The Galyan's near me had a Primus Omnifuel for half-price - about 70 bucks. I bought it. Then a week later, I found another one on a clearance table...for nineteen bucks because it didn't have a box. So now I'm trying to horse trade the second stove for a Miox water purifier. Plus I got a bunch of other useful stuff that I wouldn't have bought otherwise - a set of cook pots, some OR padded cubes and of course some dehydrated food. :banana Yeah, I'll miss Galyan's. We already have a couple of Sportmarts, so we don't need Dick's.

In fact, when I mentioned to a friend of mine that Galyans was being taken over by Dicks, he answered 'too bad they weren't taken over by nice guys.' I imagine their management is getting tired of that joke. By the way, Galyan's caused their own downfall by overexpanding too quickly - five stores a year - and it cost them. Damn.

SalParadise
01-22-2005, 01:48
But knowledgeable employees/idiot employees isn't really a Dick's vs. Galyans thing, it's mostly about paying good people to stick around. Dick's is nothing more than a fast-food outdoor store, so that's the quality of help you're going to get, sadly. I know a ton about hiking and equipment, but my impression is they'd rather fire me and hire some lazy kid than pay me even $.50 more an hour to actually help the customers.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you want better service, go to the store during a weekday afternoon. Then the full-time employees will be working and they'll know a ton more than the part-timers who work in the evenings and weekends.

RITBlake
01-22-2005, 01:50
One thing to keep in mind is that if you want better service, go to the store during a weekday afternoon. Then the full-time employees will be working and they'll know a ton more than the part-timers who work in the evenings and weekends.
Couldn't agree more, that always seems to be the case. Whether you're looking for auto parts, hiking gear, or a good book at the library

Nervewracker
01-22-2005, 10:08
You know, Dick's is a business. So if we as customers can ask for what we need often enough, they will respond. Look at the stores now who carry camping stuff - Target, for example. I know that their stuff is aimed at the family car camper, but they must have had some input from their public. If we let Dick's know that we want the good stuff for getting back to the woods, they should start thinking about it. I'm somewhat fortunate in Chicago because there are 2 REIs here, but the Galyans prices were across the board better and they often had really good stuff that REI didn't, especially the smaller useful stuff. Dick's should too. I've been to one in Louisville and they still had some camping gear from Galyans two months after their transition, but we'll see.

I always enjoyed the staff at Galyans because they were hikers and kayakers and stuff too. I would just as often get a good tip on a place to camp as I would get a new bit of gear.

We had another place in Chicago called Erewhon. It seemed to be aimed at the yuppie hiker and priced accordingly, but when they went out of business I picked up quite a few odds and ends at much better prices.

So, it's the thrill of the hunt...

Toolshed
01-22-2005, 10:43
Having worked at Dicks about 14 years ago, just after they first made the change from a GREAT small store in Binghamton (where they were very close with Eureka Camping Gear) into becoming a sports "Discounter" superstore.

Anyone who was around then will rmember the LARCHMOUNT Code. That is, under each price tag was a series of numbers - L=0 through T=9 This series would tell you the wholesale price Dick's Paid. You would then add 10% to this price to get the employee price. Dick's dismantled this tag pricing system around '93 or '94.

As a Superstore, I never really considered their emphasis as having been on the hardcore backpackers. It has always been more of a spillover crowd from hunting and fishing. There is a great emphasis on these two areas (What we used to call "Backwall") and Camping gear, if not carcamping, then the backpacking basics with a few nice things thrown into the mix.

Dick's original alignment with Eureka meant that they were almost completley tied to Eureka and CampTrails Gear (Plus a lot of Coleman Poducts) and Slumberjack sleeping bags. The rest of the shelves were filled with Coughlins items and a few odds and ends (candle lanterns, First Need filters, Sawyer First Aid and Thermarests).

Around 1991 Dick's hired a very knowledgeable gear buyer and he started down the path of higher end gear including MSR for stoves and cookware.

Around 1994 they started heavily pushing TNF for clothing, along with a couple of other higher end gear manufacturers.

I beleive Dick's intention was never to compete with high end gear stores or steal their crowd. There is much more money to be made in keeping a niche above Walmart, but be seen as a "Discounter" when in fact most of their prices aren't really discounted.

I think their marketing position is great - The tens of millions of folks that don't know much about camping and backpacking go to Dick's as the experts -They don't go to the higher end gear outfitters because they aren't willing to spend that kind of money and they these activities as an occasional activity and not a lifetime passion.

Finally, RIT Blake,
When Galyans first came to Rochester in 2001, Many of us in the outdoor community were stupified. Rochester had just lost Rochester Sports, which was very much like Dick's but with some higher end backpacking and climbing gear. Tent City was on the verge of collapse. they closed their Webster store as well as their huge signature store in the city. What was left was Snow Country in Pittsford, (though for them it was really just an extension into summer sales), both EMS stores, Dicks and Get out and Stay out. (GOSO is owned by a fellow who used to work at Dick's - They focus higher end gear.)
I was amazed walkng thru the aisles of gear at Galyons - Both floors - Wondering who wold buy all this stuff??? Rows of backpacking gear. I was up there a few weeks ago looking for deals, but none were to be had....

Cheers