PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Section

Flaps15
03-20-2011, 23:17
I'll be taking this under coming up in May / June time frame. How long did it take you to do the GA section? All 76 miles.. and were there ample shelters along the trail? I'm trying to get my time off planned out.

Thanks,

FatMan
03-20-2011, 23:25
There are plenty of shelters in Georgia. And campsites galore. I'm a fat old man who does Georgia in 7 days. But that is of little value for a 21 yr old.

johnnyblisters
03-20-2011, 23:39
I did the GA section in 06 straight off the couch in 6 days. Loads of shelters, lots of even better campsites. Can't wait for my train down south in a week!

Flaps15
03-21-2011, 02:48
Johnny, are you thru-ing it or are you just sectioning it? Thanks for your info. And thank you, fatman as well. It's a good reference. :)

mynameisgeorgel
03-21-2011, 17:16
me and my roommate will be hiking the Georgia section in mid may. Getting pretty excited

GeneralLee10
03-21-2011, 17:21
a week not much more then that

Flaps15
03-21-2011, 17:30
Thanks, guys. Is it a safe bet to carry 4 days worth of food to make it to Neels Gap?

Cookerhiker
03-21-2011, 17:32
I'll be taking this under coming up in May / June time frame. How long did it take you to do the GA section? All 76 miles.. and were there ample shelters along the trail? I'm trying to get my time off planned out.

Thanks,

Keep in mind that the last road crossing in GA (US Rt 76 at Dick's Creek Gap) is 67 miles and that the GA/NC line is in the middle of the forest near Bly Gap. So if you really want to literally hike all of GA to the border, you have 2 choices: (1) backtrack those 9 miles from the border to the road; or (2) hike on an additional 7 miles in NC to Deep Gap where you can exit via Forest Service Rd. 71.

GeneralLee10
03-21-2011, 17:48
Thanks, guys. Is it a safe bet to carry 4 days worth of food to make it to Neels Gap?

It would depend on where your starting, and how fast you move. For the most part yes

AtomicLlama
03-21-2011, 17:53
I'm planning to do Georgia in May as well, maybe I'll see some of you guys out there.

schnikel
03-21-2011, 17:59
My wife and I did it in 6 days, one day was 5 or so miles to Neel Gap and the another day was 3 or 4 miles to Dicks Gap where we got off to get into Hiawassee. So you could push and do it in less no problem.
Keep in mind what Cookerhiker said about the true border. It is the reason we got off at Dick's Creek Gap, instead of at Bly Gap. We were thinking of tagging that border as well.
Schnikel

Toolumpy
03-21-2011, 18:06
4.5 days. Enjoyed it very much. It all depends on how much you like to hang around the shelters.

G-WALK
03-21-2011, 21:47
I'll be hiking from Springer to Franklin NC, April 10 - 16 or 17th.

Graywolf
03-21-2011, 22:05
There are plenty of shelters in Georgia. And campsites galore. I'm a fat old man who does Georgia in 7 days. But that is of little value for a 21 yr old.

7 days?? man you walk to fast.. Did you see anything..??;)

Being one from the city with the nearest Mountains 4 hours away, I must say, doing Georgia, I'd take my own sweet time.. And not because Im fat..yes, I am fat too.. But thats a whole nother story..

Papa D
03-21-2011, 22:28
5 - 6 days should be plenty if you are in decent shape and like to hike most of the day

Papa D
03-21-2011, 22:29
you'll see plenty and enjoy yourself

Flaps15
03-21-2011, 23:54
Looks like I'll be going from Springer Mtn, GA to Franklin, NC. I guess I'll bank on 7 days just to be safe. I read its about 3 days to get to the first town (Neel's Gap) from Springer. How correct is this?

Flaps15
03-21-2011, 23:55
you'll see plenty and enjoy yourself

Another Athenian? What part of Athens?

Cookerhiker
03-22-2011, 14:24
Looks like I'll be going from Springer Mtn, GA to Franklin, NC. I guess I'll bank on 7 days just to be safe. I read its about 3 days to get to the first town (Neel's Gap) from Springer. How correct is this?

I know you're young and in good shape so don't take this wrong.

By "Franklin," I presume you mean Winding Stair Gap, US Rt. 64. Springer to Winding Stair Gap is 107.6 miles. If you're hiking up the Approach Trail from the Springer Lodge, it's an additional 7.6 miles. IMO, 115 miles in 7 days is a bit ambitious.

Keep in mind that most of Georgia is up-and-down. Granted, the trail is well-graded and no ascents are > 1,000', most are less but you are spending most of the day ascending and descending. At the NC border, the trail is quite steep for a short stretch up to Courthouse Bald & Sharp Top. Further ahead in NC, Big Butt is a slab with rocky footing and Albert Mountain is steep like some of the New England mountains.

Of course you know best what pace you're capable of and/or desire. But I will say that even if you're superfit aerobically, carrying a backpack and hiking up and down mountains will stress parts of your body - knees, feet, hips, quads.

Food for thought. Whatever you decide, have a great hike! It's a very nice section of trail.

B.B.
03-22-2011, 14:51
I did section from Springer to Deep Gap NC last July. Temps were in the 90s. It took us 7 days, and we are newbies.

tigerpaw
03-22-2011, 20:14
Im not very experienced, but I made it from Springer, backtracking from Big Stamp to the terminus and then NOBO to Woody Gap in a day and a half. That was my first shot and carrying way too much. If you are planning to hike the approach, don't forget about those 8 or so miles that might bring you to Mountain Crossing in 4 days.

Flaps15
03-24-2011, 05:54
I know you're young and in good shape so don't take this wrong.

By "Franklin," I presume you mean Winding Stair Gap, US Rt. 64. Springer to Winding Stair Gap is 107.6 miles. If you're hiking up the Approach Trail from the Springer Lodge, it's an additional 7.6 miles. IMO, 115 miles in 7 days is a bit ambitious.

Keep in mind that most of Georgia is up-and-down. Granted, the trail is well-graded and no ascents are > 1,000', most are less but you are spending most of the day ascending and descending. At the NC border, the trail is quite steep for a short stretch up to Courthouse Bald & Sharp Top. Further ahead in NC, Big Butt is a slab with rocky footing and Albert Mountain is steep like some of the New England mountains.

Of course you know best what pace you're capable of and/or desire. But I will say that even if you're superfit aerobically, carrying a backpack and hiking up and down mountains will stress parts of your body - knees, feet, hips, quads.

Food for thought. Whatever you decide, have a great hike! It's a very nice section of trail.

Thanks! Im not setting any certain date or amount of time it will take, Im just trying to get a reference. What I'll do is set a destination and find out how long it takes to get there. :)

pilgrim1
05-22-2011, 10:04
me and afew tenneseans are also doin georgia starting next week .we r planning on averaging about 11 or 12 miles daily.starting at u.s.f.r.42 on top of springer.i am assuming that there are good campsites ever 11 or 12 miles.(since mileage want work out to stay close to shelters) any recommendations on campsites.thanks

STICK
05-22-2011, 10:45
I will be doing Neels Gap to probably Deep Gap in mid June. I am planning to do it in 4 days. Here is my rough itinerary:

Day 1: Neels Gap to Low Gap Shelter (10.8 miles)
Day 2: Low Gap Shelter to Tray Mtn Shelter (15 miles)
Day 3: Tray Mtn Shelter to Plumorchard Gap Shelter (15.5 miles)
Day 4: Plumorchard Gap Shelter to Deep Gap (11.3 miles)

This will also be my first solo hike so I must admit I will be a little nervous about that... :)

WILLIAM HAYES
05-22-2011, 15:30
about 7 days -