PDA

View Full Version : Best Eating Places for Vegetarians

Downunda
01-14-2005, 02:17
I noticed a thread recently on the forum discussing the best eating places along the AT. As expected the topic got many responses. One place often nominated was the Home Place in Catawba.

Now I'm a vegetarian and as I hiked the AT in 2002 and visited towns along the way I found I was pretty much limited to Pizza and perhaps some Pasta dishes. I did visit the Home Place with some other hikers and no doubt the food there was superb and great value. Before going there I did ask locals about the food served there and was told there were lots of vegetable dishes to choose from. This turned out to be true, but what they didn't say was that nearly every vegetable dish was sprinkled with chopped ham or bacon leaving me somewhat disappointed and hungry (things did improve with desert).

Now I'd like to take a different tack... In 2005 there are bound to be a number of vegetarians on the trail and I would ask former thru hikers to nominate eating places along the trail that offered good food for vegetarians. I'm sure there are many of them that I didn't discover.
I'm sure this year's vege hikers will appreciate your recommendations and I'll store them away for my next AT hike.

minnesotasmith
01-14-2005, 07:03
Either the canned bean section or raw produce sections of grocery stores. ;) I'll bet there won't be too many hippie/vegetarian restaurants in all the small towns along the AT, although I may be wrong here...

chris
01-14-2005, 11:07
Elmers, in Hot Springs, tops the list. I can't think of any other place that is specifically vegetarian. His place is not a restaurant, but rather more of a B&B. I suspect, but do not know, that the Erwin Burrito has some options. In Delaware Water Gap sits one of the gems of the trail, but I can't remember its name. Something like Rivers End Cafe. You come right by it after exiting the trail for town. While not strictly vegetarian, they did have some good options. There are loads of Chinese places on the AT, but the ones I've been to were unspeakable.

hungryhowie
01-14-2005, 12:14
I, too, am interested in responses to this thread as I didn't become a vegetarian until after hiking the trail. The two I could think of off the top of my head have already been mentioned (elmers and erwin burrito), but I've only every been to 2 or 3 restaurants where there was no vegetarian option (and I live in a place that is NOT veggie-friendly). It's not always an entre, per se, but I can usually make something of a meal.

In fact, steak houses often have a decent salad selection and use quality ingredients. If you like mexican, cheese enchiladas are standard fare, and these establishments are usually more than happy to make a standard dish sans meat if you ask.

I did begin one vegetarian-friendly habit while on the northern part of the AT. I started looking for those "salad in a bag" kits at groceries and pick up a tomato and a few other veggies, and absolutely feast the first night in. You don't know how good a fresh salad can taste until you're 15 miles from town.

-howie

David S.
01-14-2005, 12:44
I remember the resturant at the NOC having a pretty good vegetarian selection.