PDA

View Full Version : I Did It! I am ready!

hayjhooy
03-20-2011, 23:37
I finally did it.
Im leaving for my thru-hike in late may or possibly eirly june. Begot I was afraid to leave everything behind for this amazing journey, but everyday the comes closer to the day I leave from Sprinted is in happyness. I was mainly afraid to leave my first love, but it turned out I wouldn't have to, she left me. And now im free to walk from GA to Maine. Later this month I will have my equipment and weights on here. Thanks

4shot
03-20-2011, 23:54
well, congratulations - when one door closes, another one opens. a piece of advice: forego the posting of your equipment and don't bother to weigh it either. I'm sure you have done your homework already - trust yourself! that is the most important ingredient of your hike - the trust in yourself along with the determination that you will get there. best wishes on your hike.

Mountain Wildman
03-21-2011, 00:28
Many happy miles to you!!!

Blissful
03-21-2011, 09:02
Not going SOBO? Awful late in the season to try and make it to Maine in one hike.

DavidNH
03-21-2011, 09:12
I finally did it.
Im leaving for my thru-hike in late may or possibly eirly june. Begot I was afraid to leave everything behind for this amazing journey, but everyday the comes closer to the day I leave from Sprinted is in happyness. I was mainly afraid to leave my first love, but it turned out I wouldn't have to, she left me. And now im free to walk from GA to Maine. Later this month I will have my equipment and weights on here. Thanks

Congratulations, I hope you have fun!

If you are headed northbound.. an early June start is too late. Even May is pushing it. Keep in mind, assuming you go all the way, that by end of September and even more so by early October.. winter is setting in, in the Maine Mountains. Baxter State Park is closed to overnight camping by October 15. A four month hike starting June 1 would finish by October 1. Four months is a much faster than average pace.

David

endubyu
03-21-2011, 14:08
I finally did it.
I was mainly afraid to leave my first love, but it turned out I wouldn't have to, she left me. And now im free to walk from GA to Maine.

When you're alone, the world is full of possibilities! :)
enjoy your hike!

Sassafras Lass
03-21-2011, 14:31
If you are headed northbound.. an early June start is too late. Even May is pushing it. ...... Baxter State Park is closed to overnight camping by October 15. A four month hike starting June 1 would finish by October 1. Four months is a much faster than average pace.

Agreed; sure you're not starting from Katahdin?

max patch
03-21-2011, 15:19
If you are heading NOBO in early June I'd start no furthur south than Damascus and then flip back to your starting point after you summit K.

Or I'd hang out 2 or 3 weeks and then start a SOBO instead.

DapperD
03-21-2011, 19:15
I finally did it.
Im leaving for my thru-hike in late may or possibly eirly june. Begot I was afraid to leave everything behind for this amazing journey, but everyday the comes closer to the day I leave from Sprinted is in happyness. I was mainly afraid to leave my first love, but it turned out I wouldn't have to, she left me. And now im free to walk from GA to Maine. Later this month I will have my equipment and weights on here. ThanksGood Luck to you. I know some people do start from Georgia for their thru-hikes beginning in the month of May. I think you may though (if you are not a fast, steady hiker) need to consider a flip-flop hike, whereby if you are running somewhat behind schedule, you can travel up to Baxter State Park and summit Mt. Katahdin, and then hike back to where you left the trail to complete your hike. Otherwise, as other's have said, you could just wait about a month and hike Southbound from Maine instead. No matter how you do it or how far you make it, have a great hike!:sun