PDA

View Full Version : Side sleepers, how do you get comfortable?

TexasEd
03-21-2011, 00:42
The worst part of backpacking for me is bed time. I am typically a side sleeper and have a terrible time getting comfortable on a thin self inflating mattress. I am currently using the REI Trekker 1.75. I have been tempted to carry the extra weight and move up to the 3" base camp pad.

For a pillow I use my sleeping bag's stuff sack and put clothes in it. I also put a small stuff sack between my knees to keep them form hurting. At home I use a pillow.

I'm willing to carry a little more weight if anyone has advice that has worked.

johnnyblisters
03-21-2011, 00:43
Have you tried a Neo-Air? That thing is thicker than my mattress at home!

skinewmexico
03-21-2011, 00:52
POE Ether Thermo 6. Been using one for 5 years. Fabulous.

Mountain Wildman
03-21-2011, 01:00
I have the NeoAir Large and it is very comfortable, I am a side sleeper, mostly.
I however just received the Nemo Cosmo Air mattress which is 3 inches thick, Has a built in pump, And it is made of a thicker material than my NeoAir and therefore is heavier at 29 ounces, But I tried it out when I got it and found it to be even more comfortable than my Neo, I attribute the extra comfort to the extra thickness, I did not touch the floor through the mattress as easily as with the Neo. I have not decided to completely give up on my Neo but I have decided to use the Nemo Cosmo on my Thru-Hike. I did not wake up sore on the Cosmo but have on the Neo, I would rather carry the extra weight and get a good nights rest so I can hike, If I wake up sore as I have with the Neo from time to time, My back is messed up and I can barely move. I don't have the healthiest back and that certainly doesn't help.
Good Luck!!

peasantgirl
03-21-2011, 01:01
I am also a side sleeper and I am dreading this part of my thru-hike next year. I did some research and came across the Exped Synmat 9 Deluxe Air pad. 77.5" wide and 3.5" thick! I haven't tried this yet but it looks amazing!
http://www.rei.com/product/780369

Only thing is, it weighs over 2 and a half pounds and it will probably cost more than my sleeping bag! :eek:

Mountain Wildman
03-21-2011, 01:04
I am also a side sleeper and I am dreading this part of my thru-hike next year. I did some research and came across the Exped Synmat 9 Deluxe Air pad. 77.5" wide and 3.5" thick! I haven't tried this yet but it looks amazing!

Only thing is, it weighs over 2 and a half pounds and it will probably cost more than my sleeping bag! :eek:

I also looked at this but went with the Nemo Cosmo Air when I saw the 42 ounce weight of the Exped. Does look comfy though!!:sun

TexasEd
03-21-2011, 01:10
Thanks for the tips on the Neo Air.

At less than a pound it is much lighter than the self inflating pad I'm using now, just 3x as expensive.

I'll have to sleep on it.

LDog
03-21-2011, 02:04
Big Agnes makes their Insulated Air Core Pad. 2.5" thick, various lengths, 22 oz for a 66", R 4.1 $75-$110 http://www.rei.com/product/763953

LDog
03-21-2011, 02:04
Big Agnes makes their Insulated Air Core Pad. 2.5" thick, various lengths, 22 oz for a 66", R 4.1 $75-$110 http://www.rei.com/product/763953

randyg45
03-21-2011, 03:17
Until there's a hammock, there's a Neoair....

wcgornto
03-21-2011, 03:56
I used the NeoAir on my 2009 thru hike. I went through three of them.

THe first one delaminated internally and became shaped more like a balloon than a sleep pad. It didn't get me through Maine (going SOB). The second and third ones developed slow leaks that got progressively worse as the days went by. First I would have to add a puff or two of air once or twice a night. Then it grew to three or four puffs of air three or four times a night.

When it was fully inflated, it was a dream. I just wonder if they have made any material or manufacturing improvements such that this doesn't happen anymore. For thru hiking, based on my experience, this pad was just too delicate ... perfect when it worked, bur not durable. I will probably buy a new one this year, hoping it might be more durable for overnight hikes and occasional section hikes.

One
03-21-2011, 06:07
I have the NeoAir Trekker Torso Large.
http://www.rei.com/product/810375
Great for side sleepers like myself and has the 25" width.
The (Shorter) Large Torso only weighs 16oz.

Also, it has the standard covering and not the 'noisy light crinkle' covering.
Should prove to be more durable too.
Very pleased with it.

Marta
03-21-2011, 07:12
Another vote for the Big Agnes. It's heavier than the Neo Air, but much cheaper, especially if you are patient and wait for it to go on sale. Big Agnes has fabulous customer service.

BTW, while I love inflatables, when they go bust, you're left with nothing. Not fun. I always also carry 6 sections of Z-rest with me. That's my sit-upon for meal stops and breaks and camp cooking. It also normally goes under the inflatable, to help protect it from punctures. And if the inflatable fails, I have something warm to lie down on, and to attempt to sleep in something less than comfort.

bigmac_in
03-21-2011, 07:27
I had problems sleeping on the trail until I went with the Big Agnes sleep system. Just bought a new bag from them, can't see myself using anything else.

Newb
03-21-2011, 07:43
Big agnes inflatable. my hip touches only air.

DBCFlash
03-21-2011, 08:32
I have the Big Agnes and also sleep on my side, occasionally my stomach too. I am 6'1" 205# and the BA was roomy enough for me to roll over and pull my knees up a little. I rustle around a lot when I sleep and rarely felt the floor under me. I used my wadded up coat as a pillow and stuffed the mattresses stuff sack with clothes to make a small pillow for my legs and knees.

Blissful
03-21-2011, 08:58
Neo air all the way. Better than Big Agnes air core and much lighter too. I used both and sleep better on it.

Northern Lights
03-21-2011, 09:02
I am willing to care a bit more weight to be more comfortable at night, so I bought an Exped 7 it is the most comfortable thing I have found yet. It is half a pound heavier than my thermarest but that is ok with me. I also take a thermarest pillow. That is it for luxury in my pack......so far anyway.

Northern Lights
03-21-2011, 09:02
oops carry not care

Ender
03-21-2011, 09:03
For me it's either hammock or NeoAir (size large). Depends on the season and what I'm in the mood for as to which one I bring.

Trigger
03-21-2011, 09:07
Went to a hammock a year ago and I won't go back. I am able to sleep almost perfectly flat, on my side, all through the night. if you are just getting into it look at the byer mosquito traveler and a kelty noahs tarp. should be able to get both for $90 if you look around. you would be under 3 lbs for both and you would not believe how good you feel in the morning.

endubyu
03-21-2011, 09:26
+1 for hammock :)

Lillianp
03-21-2011, 09:49
I sleep on my side mostly and just use a thermarest prolite small (for women). It was uncomfortable at first, but I eventually adjusted decently.

TexasEd
03-21-2011, 11:07
After doing some more research the Exped 7 with integrated pump looks promising to me. It folds pretty small, has some foam inside but is heavier than the NEO air. Any experience with this one?

ShelterLeopard
03-21-2011, 11:18
The worst part of backpacking for me is bed time. I am typically a side sleeper and have a terrible time getting comfortable on a thin self inflating mattress. I am currently using the REI Trekker 1.75. I have been tempted to carry the extra weight and move up to the 3" base camp pad.

For a pillow I use my sleeping bag's stuff sack and put clothes in it. I also put a small stuff sack between my knees to keep them form hurting. At home I use a pillow.

I'm willing to carry a little more weight if anyone has advice that has worked.

Thermarest NeoAir. Am. Azing.

lori
03-21-2011, 11:25
Two ways.

1. get in the hammock, roll on my side, sleep all night.

2. get on the NeoAir, go to sleep. Wake up to pull my body part back on the pad. Go back to sleep. Wake up to pull my hips back on the pad. Go back to sleep.

Doesn't matter what width of pad I have. The combo of side sleeping and tossing around in my sleep results in a lot of rearranging unless I'm in something that rearranges itself with me....

Ladytrekker
03-21-2011, 11:33

I have a Neoair but my friends just got the Exped 7 and I compared to my mine and holds more air and is a thicker padding. They love it and swear by it. It may be my next pad.

sbhikes
03-21-2011, 11:38
There's a trick to sleeping on a hard surface and once you learn it you are golden for being able to sleep anywhere. You have to figure out how to place your hips so they don't hurt. Also, you can learn to sleep on your back. It seems strange to think you have to learn to sleep differently, but I somehow adjusted on the trail and when I got back home, having a soft bed and a pillow really bugged me. Took a while to get used to it again.

Sassafras Lass
03-21-2011, 11:39
I've never liked sleeping outside until I bought this.

What a relief from hip and shoulder pain! The only issue I personally have is finding sufficient support for my neck so I don't wake up with a neck so stiff I can't turn it sideways. What I'm going to do on our thru-hike this year is put my down coat in a stuff sack and use that for my pillow; at home, I just drag a full-size pillow outside :p

sheepdog
03-21-2011, 11:43
+1 for hammock :)
+2

4shot
03-21-2011, 11:48
After doing some more research the Exped 7 with integrated pump looks promising to me. It folds pretty small, has some foam inside but is heavier than the NEO air. Any experience with this one?

7 & 9. I took the 7 on my thru-hike, use my 9 for short trips. I love the integrated pump. Yes it's heavy but to me, sleep is not something to compromise on for weight. Before I discovered Exped I was about to give up camping/backpacking due to being uncomfortable on the ground. I still wake up a couple of times to shift positions but it is something I can live with.I saw alot of NeoAir's on the trail but I strongly recommend the exped products.

topshelf
03-21-2011, 12:19
hammock all the way, I've never slept so well in the woods until I got a hammock. I would wake up in pain(or be in pain before I fell asleep) due to my arms falling asleep when using a pad in a tent

Newb
03-21-2011, 12:48
Two ways.

1. get in the hammock, roll on my side, sleep all night.

2. get on the NeoAir, go to sleep. Wake up to pull my body part back on the pad. Go back to sleep. Wake up to pull my hips back on the pad. Go back to sleep.

Doesn't matter what width of pad I have. The combo of side sleeping and tossing around in my sleep results in a lot of rearranging unless I'm in something that rearranges itself with me....

that's why the Big Agnes system is superior..the pad fits into a sleeve in the BA bag. No more sliding off.

lori
03-21-2011, 12:52
that's why the Big Agnes system is superior..the pad fits into a sleeve in the BA bag. No more sliding off.

Doesn't work for me... I hate sleeping bags, and I have a hammock.

Deadeye
03-21-2011, 12:56
another vote for:
1) Big Agnes insulated air core, mummy, short, 19 ounces, comfy
2) git yourself a hammock, use above in hammock, wake up refreshed

lori
03-21-2011, 13:04
Unless you like lightweight gear...

It's funny how noisy it is sleeping next door to two Big Agnes users. Everyone dings Neo Air for being crinkly - four people have bought NeoAir after borrowing mine because it's silent and comfortable.

I never liked the BA vertical baffles, either. I know they work for a lot of people, but prefer to have the more compact, lighter, and effective NeoAir and its flatter sleeping surface.

Hammock and quilts are the way to go for comfort in a hammock. Trying to get into a hammock with a Big Agnes with a pad in the pocket? You're more agile than I am!

RichardD
03-21-2011, 13:17
I have used a BA insulated Aircore, An EXPED 9DLX and more recently a NEO. Although all are somewhat comfortable (the 9 DLX the most but also the heaviest) On each I wake several times in the night with sore hip and have to change position. The times between waking getting progressively shorter until after about 7 hours I hurt all over and can't sleep anymore. I might add most hotel beds do the same for me.
I now use a hammock (Hennessey), it took a few nights to get comfortable with it but now it even beats my bed at home. Several times while in the backcountry I have closed my eyes for sleep then a few minutes later wondered what the bright light was, - it was the sun. I had slept 8 to 9 hours without waking, this happened several times.
Spring and fall overnights which may entail 12 or more dark hours in the hammock pass without any pain.
Hammocking costs quite a lot of money to get it right and a bit of practice but I found that the comfort rewards of getting it right are overwhelmingly worth it.
Anyhow that's my experience.

LDog
03-21-2011, 13:55
T... Also, you can learn to sleep on your back. It seems strange to think you have to learn to sleep differently, but I somehow adjusted on the trail and when I got back home, having a soft bed and a pillow really bugged me. Took a while to get used to it again.

I've found over the years that it is about habit. I've been a side-sleeper for years, and I prefer one side over another generally, because I feel I breath easier on that side. But lately, I've rolled over on my back and have slept well.

Hoping I can make the transition without snoring so loudly Mary kicks me out! Twood shirley make backpacking more enjoyable ...

tuswm
03-21-2011, 15:18
Has anyone heard of these pads?

https://www.nemoequipment.com/pads_pillows20111

In the backpacker gear guide they reviewed every pad you all are talking about, PO, neo air, thermarest self inflating, and Exped. But this one beat them all out for the editors choice award. I have never heard of this company before but there must be a reason it got such great reviews. "This is the only mattress ill ever need from the deep backcoutry to car camping"

This is one from the website that I saw. half the price of the neo, a few oz more, similar packing size but it also has a built in pillow. You can get it in different sizes, shapes, with or with out foot pump built in, with or with out insulation and you can even get a pillow top type mattress for it.
https://www.nemoequipment.com/images/13251-1.jpg
You can get it in different sizes, shapes, with or with out foot pump built in, with or with out insulation and you can even get a pillow top type mattress for it.
https://www.nemoequipment.com/images/3296-1.jpg
https://www.nemoequipment.com/images/3296-3.jpg

Makes me want to try one or at least hear from someone who isnt paid to say nice things bout them.

tuswm
03-21-2011, 15:21
being a side sleeper I find that taking air out of my sleeping pad helps and using a pillow that is as large as possible to support my head. fleece center, down outer layer held together by sleeping bag stuff sack. I heard in another thread that some people are inflating bladders. That sounds like a great idea.

GSCOTT
03-21-2011, 16:11
I am a side sleeper and use the Neo-Air long. I am 6'3''. I was using a Thermarest Guidelite before and the difference is amazing.

I have also found that with the Neo-Air that I sleep warmer.

ymmv......

-SEEKER-
03-21-2011, 16:51
I am also a side sleeper with very little fat to help cushion my bones. I found the BIG AGNES AIR CORE to be extremely comfortable and very light weight. If you go to the selling used gear forum I have one for sale, as I am going with the insulated version for colder climates.

IronTom
03-21-2011, 17:08
Haven't taken it on the trail yet, but the Exped Synmat 9 is sooo comfortable. I also got the chair cover. I have a problem with my back that won't let me lay down all night without pain. Was afraid I'd have to give up camping...

The Old Boot
03-21-2011, 18:02
How are the various inflatable pads for durability!

I've value my sleep too much to end up with my butt or hip on the floor from air loss. It would be the end of sleeping for me. No sleep, no hike!!

LDog
03-21-2011, 18:48
I am also a side sleeper with very little fat to help cushion my bones. I found the BIG AGNES AIR CORE to be extremely comfortable and very light weight. If you go to the selling used gear forum I have one for sale, as I am going with the insulated version for colder climates.

I did the same thing, but intend to keep the shorter, lighter version for summer. Swap out along with winter weight bag, excess winter clothing, etc.

lori
03-21-2011, 19:00
How are the various inflatable pads for durability!

I've value my sleep too much to end up with my butt or hip on the floor from air loss. It would be the end of sleeping for me. No sleep, no hike!!

Two years and counting. But I don't use the NeoAir as a pool toy, sled, or use it on a bed of cactus needles or pine cones. Just a sheet of plastic or tent bottom. Sometimes in the hammock, on some of those higher elevation trips. I also never fully inflate the thing before laying down on it.

Probably gets 2-6 nights a month between myself and the folks I loan it to. I have a small tube of silicon and a few patches just in case.

Press
03-21-2011, 20:30
Side sleeper here too. I still use and old ThermaRest pad which works fine for my hip. My problem is that I can't really sleep well unless I can stretch my arm out under my pillow, weird I know. I do pack a ThermaRest pillow which helps some but I can't ever seem to get pack (or clothes sack) and pillow arranged right to support my head while on my side, so I end up sleeping in fits and starts and rolling over and back and forth a lot. I generally feel pretty rested when I wake up despite all that though, so it's all good.

ChinMusic
03-21-2011, 21:03
I'm a flopper sleeper, spending a lot of time on my side. I find the Big Agnes and Neo to be adaquate. Deflate them just to the point of bottoming out gives me the most comfort.

TexasEd
03-21-2011, 21:25
Side sleeper here too. I still use and old ThermaRest pad which works fine for my hip. My problem is that I can't really sleep well unless I can stretch my arm out under my pillow, weird I know. I do pack a ThermaRest pillow which helps some but I can't ever seem to get pack (or clothes sack) and pillow arranged right to support my head while on my side, so I end up sleeping in fits and starts and rolling over and back and forth a lot. I generally feel pretty rested when I wake up despite all that though, so it's all good.

Sounds like me except the rested part.

Takijeep
03-21-2011, 22:49
5'10", 300lb, neo-air, I sleep like a noisy baby (snore)!

Komuso
03-21-2011, 23:15
HAMMOCK. Evolve, ground dwellers. Evolve... ;)

lori
03-21-2011, 23:27

I do both. The height of evolution is to be fully adaptable and ready for anything. Some trips, a hammock doesn't do you right - but for all others, there's a Blackbird and underquilt in my pack.

skinewmexico
03-21-2011, 23:42

I look silly laying a hammock on the ground because there are no trees.

And I've been using my POE Max Thermo for 5 years, no leaks.

I'd buy an Instaflator rather than a pad with a heavy, built-in pump.

bflorac
03-21-2011, 23:55
Neo-Air is great. I do wish it was wider. I use the mid size size I am not tall but if they made the medium length in the large width (25") I would buy a new one. With neo, my hips do not hit the floor of the shelter (yes, I do shelters) and that is great. I usually put my fleece to the side so it tends to make it a bit wider. Word of warning, bring ear plugs. The neo is very noisy when you roll around on it.

I combine this with the MontBell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger for maximum flexing while I sleep.

lori
03-22-2011, 00:08
Word of warning, bring ear plugs. The neo is very noisy when you roll around on it.

Finally! how much do you inflate yours?

I have never gotten mine to be noisy. I am wondering how it is done. The noisiest air mattress I've ever encountered was a Big Agnes.

bflorac
03-22-2011, 01:45
Finally! how much do you inflate yours?
Well, I just blow in it but I'm sure that is not what your are asking :)
I fill it up about 3/4 full. Typically I fill it near full, then as I go to bend I lay on it and make it as soft as possible without allowing my hip to hit the floor (sleeping on my side) Perhaps it is more noisy when on a wooden floor (thought I do put a protective sheet under it). As for me, I wear ear plugs anyway so I don't hear it nor anyone/thing else.

Daydream Believer
03-22-2011, 07:51
You folks side sleeping nicely in hammocks...what models are you using? I am intrigued. I never thought of side sleeping in a hammock comfortably. Does the pad inside the hammock help keep it flatter?

What I've been doing that works fairly well for me is a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad. I have a tarptent also and that gives me plenty of room. I have slid off my pad though and especially if you are on less than perfectly level ground for your tentpad.

B.B.
03-22-2011, 22:33
I have a thermarest pro lite and I am a side sleeper. The pad works fine for me...my biggest complaint is my bag. I have a down rectangular bag which I sleep very well in, but is heavy. I also have a down mummy bag which is much warmer, and over a lb lighter, but I feel confined in it. When I toss and turn in it I get wrapped up tighter and tighter in it and it is very uncomfortable. Anyone have a rectangular or semi rectangular bag that is light and warm? Looking for something in the 2.5 lb range.

chiefduffy
03-22-2011, 23:34
You folks side sleeping nicely in hammocks...what models are you using? I am intrigued. I never thought of side sleeping in a hammock comfortably. Does the pad inside the hammock help keep it flatter? .

The pad doesn't help, but the partially sideways (asym) sleeping position the newer hammocks are designed for make for a very flat, very comfortable lay. I tried everything to be able to sleep in a tent, I just can't do it comfortably anymore. Wish I would discovered hammocks sooner!

(Warbonnet Blackbird is my current favorite model, but there are several good ones out there)

-Duffy

Daydream Believer
03-23-2011, 08:24
chiefduffy..thanks! Such an intriguing idea. I wish I could try one out before buying! I like the idea of being off the ground also.

What do you hammock hangers do with your pack? Just leave it on the ground under your fly/hammock?

4shot
03-23-2011, 09:27
when I toss and turn in it I get wrapped up tighter and tighter in it and it is very uncomfortable. Anyone have a rectangular or semi rectangular bag that is light and warm? Looking for something in the 2.5 lb range.

I have similar issues with alot of mummy bags. I tried several and ended up with Marmot -- plenty of romm to move around in (without sacrificing warmth). If you insist on rectangular, I think (?) Campmor makes one in down.

tuswm
03-23-2011, 11:12
I have similar issues with alot of mummy bags. I tried several and ended up with Marmot -- plenty of romm to move around in (without sacrificing warmth). If you insist on rectangular, I think (?) Campmor makes one in down.

I am a swimmer with swimmer shoulders. I there are mummy bags that I litterilly can not even zip if I have on a fleece. I have tried lufalopple, REI, kelty, MHW and marmot down bags. The upper body on the marmot are head and shoulders larger. I am also a side sleeper and love the marmot bag. I couldn't afford their top of the line bag so I got the 650 fill version, affordable, slightly heavier, but still an awesome bag. Just read other reviews of the sawtooth. Got to REI and put on a few layers and try getting in a few bags then get in a marmot. That extra width does add a few onces.

lori
03-23-2011, 11:47
chiefduffy..thanks! Such an intriguing idea. I wish I could try one out before buying! I like the idea of being off the ground also.

What do you hammock hangers do with your pack? Just leave it on the ground under your fly/hammock?

You put it wherever you want it.

You ought to cruise hammock forums - these are all the questions we all ask up front, and there are many threads there that answer them.

The first actual backpacking trip I took after years of not going I took a hammock - it was about the only thing I had that worked well. Slept like a baby, but had a sore back, feet, etc because I had the wrong size pack, wrong shoes, pretty much wrong anything you could think of. The hammock has allowed me to adapt to sleeping on my back - first time ever. I usually start on my side and wake up flat out on my back, sprawling.

I have a Blackbird - I use pads or underquilt but find that the underquilt is mega comfortable. Pads are merely adequate. Some of my trips it's very likely I will be on the ground one night out of three, however.

lori
03-23-2011, 11:55
Well, I just blow in it but I'm sure that is not what your are asking :)
I fill it up about 3/4 full. Typically I fill it near full, then as I go to bend I lay on it and make it as soft as possible without allowing my hip to hit the floor (sleeping on my side) Perhaps it is more noisy when on a wooden floor (thought I do put a protective sheet under it). As for me, I wear ear plugs anyway so I don't hear it nor anyone/thing else.

The reason I ask is I have never run into anyone who uses one and complains about the noise. Only place I see complaints like that are forums. Anyone I've met with one, they look at me like I'm wearing a badger on my head for suggesting the NeoAir is noisy. I've never had mine make much of a sound at all. Sounds like you are inflating it about the same.... And I don't have shelter floors, just tent floor, or the bottom of my hammock, neither of which results in any real crinkle or other sound.

The noisiest pad I've ever encountered was when I did Skyline to Sea with two other women. I had the NeoAir, one had a Prolite and the third a BA insulated air core. We pitched tents in a triangle three nights running and every time the Big Agnes user rolled over or shifted position, all three of us were laughing at how incredibly noisy it was - you could hear the thing from 20 feet away. The last time I talked to her she had plans to obtain a NeoAir next time REI had a sale.

chiefduffy
03-23-2011, 12:35

You can try one out! If you can wait until Trail Days, there will be plenty on display. If you cant wait that long, a post over on Hammock Forums will get you several volunteers to meet you somewhere in SE VA for a test hang. For some reason we hangers are always eager to show off our gear!

Daydream Believer
03-23-2011, 20:13
You can try one out! If you can wait until Trail Days, there will be plenty on display. If you cant wait that long, a post over on Hammock Forums will get you several volunteers to meet you somewhere in SE VA for a test hang. For some reason we hangers are always eager to show off our gear!

Great idea! Thanks for the reply and the suggestion!

Captn
03-23-2011, 20:37
4 benedryl ..... Works wonders

Skidsteer
03-23-2011, 20:47
4 benedryl ..... Works wonders

Maybe, but a NeoAir has fewer side effects.

Captn
03-23-2011, 21:06
Maybe, but a NeoAir has fewer side effects.

Yeah ....but the neoair is harder to swallow.

Skidsteer
03-23-2011, 21:08
Yeah ....but the neoair is harder to swallow.

Ha! That's funny!

SouthMark
03-23-2011, 21:14
I actually hang by pack on the hammock suspension lime at the foot of my hammock under my fly. Some people put it in a trash bag on the ground under the hammock. If you do try a hammock please remember that there usually is a little steeper learning curve than a tent but worth it in the end. I did a trip in January to Roan Mountain with a low of 1.8 degrees (we were hoping for below zero), 40 mph winds and about 4' of snow. Slept warm and toast all night for two nights.

TexasEd
03-25-2011, 17:34
Has anyone heard of these pads?

https://www.nemoequipment.com/pads_pillows20111

In the backpacker gear guide they reviewed every pad you all are talking about, PO, neo air, thermarest self inflating, and Exped. But this one beat them all out for the editors choice award. I have never heard of this company before but there must be a reason it got such great reviews. "This is the only mattress ill ever need from the deep backcoutry to car camping"

This is one from the website that I saw. half the price of the neo, a few oz more, similar packing size but it also has a built in pillow. You can get it in different sizes, shapes, with or with out foot pump built in, with or with out insulation and you can even get a pillow top type mattress for it.
https://www.nemoequipment.com/images/13251-1.jpg
You can get it in different sizes, shapes, with or with out foot pump built in, with or with out insulation and you can even get a pillow top type mattress for it.
https://www.nemoequipment.com/images/3296-1.jpg
https://www.nemoequipment.com/images/3296-3.jpg

Makes me want to try one or at least hear from someone who isnt paid to say nice things bout them.

Thanks for this info. I'm definitely going to look into the Nemo Astro Insulated.

BradMT
03-25-2011, 18:41
NeoAir size large.

Tinker
03-25-2011, 18:45
Ok, another hammock comment - One reason I like a hammock without attached bug netting is that I often hang my head over the side of the hammock while sleeping on my side - very comfortable - in fact I rarely sleep on my back.

godsfshrmn
03-26-2011, 14:46
How much are you guys inflating your pads? I would say I have been inflating mine with just a tad bit of pressure. I haven't gotten to experiment the difference in comfort with less/more.

tuswm
03-26-2011, 15:26
I was told that a good starting point is that if you blow it up and get on it on all fours. Like doggy style. It should be soft enough for Your knees should be in contact with the ground but firm enough to keep you hands suspended.

In my personal experience I have found that if warmth is not an issue the softer the better as long as my hips and shoulders dont contact the ground.