PDA

View Full Version : Groundwater readings in Florida show Japan earthquake

WingedMonkey
03-21-2011, 13:32
wise old owl is gonna love this::sun

The intense earthquake that rocked Japan appears to have sent ripples all the way to Florida's deep earth.
Gauges as deep as 2,000 feet that let the South Florida Water Management District keep an eye on the region's water system started spiking up and down half an hour after the 9.0 magnitude earthquake hit.

http://xportal.sfwmd.gov/portal/pls/portal/docs/15830864.PDF

Hikes in Rain
03-21-2011, 14:08
I'm with Northwest Florida Water Management District, and I confirm this report. SW passed it around to us late last week.

The whole planet must have rung like a bell!

berninbush
03-21-2011, 16:56
That's interesting, and surprising, given the fact that it took several hours for tsunami waves from the quake to reach U.S. shores. Obviously, whatever reverberations were detected in Florida must have moved through the center of the planet rather than along the surface at sea level.

GeneralLee10
03-21-2011, 17:10
very interesting

johnnyblisters
03-21-2011, 20:52
Wow, I wonder if in a few million years the lithified sediment will exhibit those ripples? I don't remember if I learned that or not in any of my geology courses, time to email an old professor!

Wise Old Owl
03-22-2011, 21:10

The intense earthquake that rocked Japan appears to have sent ripples all the way to Florida's deep earth.
Gauges as deep as 2,000 feet that let the South Florida Water Management District keep an eye on the region's water system started spiking up and down half an hour after the 9.0 magnitude earthquake hit.

http://xportal.sfwmd.gov/portal/pls/portal/docs/15830864.PDF

Life is short and I found your post very funny, and not surprising. But thanks again... its always cool.:D

WingedMonkey
03-22-2011, 22:05
Life is short and I found your post very funny, and not surprising. But thanks again... its always cool.:D

What did you find funny?

Sierra Echo
03-22-2011, 22:07
Ok I have a question. Due to the earthquake I hear that Japan lost like 8 ft of coast line. Now here is my question. Is it possible that Mt Fuji might have lost some elevation?????

WingedMonkey
03-22-2011, 22:12
Ok I have a question. Due to the earthquake I hear that Japan lost like 8 ft of coast line. Now here is my question. Is it possible that Mt Fuji might have lost some elevation?????

If it did, since it is an active volcano can't it add more?
:sun

Sierra Echo
03-22-2011, 22:15
If it did, since it is an active volcano can't it add more?
:sun
The supply and demand theory. I can live with that! LOL

Wise Old Owl
03-22-2011, 22:28

I dunno it was funny - I read it and burst.

Wise Old Owl
03-22-2011, 22:30

no your information is flawed or you miss heard it. the entire island or sub continent moved laterally 8 feet in one direction.

Sierra Echo
03-22-2011, 22:34
no your information is flawed or you miss heard it. the entire island or sub continent moved laterally 8 feet in one direction.

I probably misheard it. Now that you said it, that sounds right. I was just curious if it did anything to the mountain.

WingedMonkey
03-22-2011, 22:37
It also sank lower, at least on coastline, already causing tidal flooding where there wasn't before.

WingedMonkey
03-22-2011, 22:41
Japan Meteorological Agency

"The 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake largely sank the ground level of the Pacific coast of Tohoku region and northern part of Kanto region. The risk of the submergence and flood in these regions has become larger than before the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake.
Therefore, it is necessary to pay special attention to the tide level and to prepare for the submergence and flood in these regions, especially during the spring tide, when the flood tide level becomes higher than usual"

Sierra Echo
03-22-2011, 22:42
So I was kinda right!

WingedMonkey
03-22-2011, 22:44
Or kinda wrong, because Mt Fuji is on a different plate?
:confused:

Sierra Echo
03-22-2011, 22:46
Oh I don't know about all THAT kind of stuff! I just know its in the same country and that is good enough for me!

WingedMonkey
03-22-2011, 22:47
Anyhow it made the aquifer jiggle in Florida.

MedicineMan
03-23-2011, 00:39
Let's see if I have all of this right.
Planet X is getting close so the easy/week fault lines are going snap crackle pop due to X's gravitational pull.
And X is interacting with the Sun causing serious electromagnetic pulses which hit the Earth but go to the core and increase its heat increasing the pressure on the plates from below. And as X gets closer the stronger plates will go-like New Madrid....anyone google how many quakes in Arkansas in the last 6 months? Seems like FEMA has and has ordered up a lot of dinners :)

Wise Old Owl
03-28-2011, 18:18
As I sit here at Grand Cayman, mild Radioactive rain was the topic of the BBC and although it is still safe it came down in Mass. Strangely the CNN crew was JOKING about it.

DapperD
03-28-2011, 21:20
I just read today that low levels of radioactivity have been found in Massachusetts rainwater:http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/27/nuclear-japan-massachusetts-idUSN2713732220110327

berninbush
03-29-2011, 10:24
Radiation is one of those things that most people (myself included) tend to be afraid of because we don't UNDERSTAND it and have no way of assessing what is a threat and what is not. When you say "mild radioactive rain"... the truth is that ALL rain is mildly radioactive. Radiation is everywhere-- the soil, the water, the air, the sunlight. We are all exposed to it, every day. And when the media reports that a particular event has "raised radiation levels to 1,000 times above normal" they fail to add that radiation can be a MILLION times above normal before it even begins to be a problem, so there's no context.

My brother in law the physicist posted a link to this chart that helps put it all in perspective: http://xkcd.com/radiation/ If you do the math, you can see that one cross-country flight in the U.S. gives you more radiation than living for 10 days in an average town near the Fukushima plant.

I don't think the folks in Massachusetts have anything to worry about.

Pedaling Fool
03-29-2011, 10:49
Radiation is one of those things that most people (myself included) tend to be afraid of because we don't UNDERSTAND it and have no way of assessing what is a threat and what is not. When you say "mild radioactive rain"... the truth is that ALL rain is mildly radioactive. Radiation is everywhere-- the soil, the water, the air, the sunlight. We are all exposed to it, every day. And when the media reports that a particular event has "raised radiation levels to 1,000 times above normal" they fail to add that radiation can be a MILLION times above normal before it even begins to be a problem, so there's no context.

My brother in law the physicist posted a link to this chart that helps put it all in perspective: http://xkcd.com/radiation/ If you do the math, you can see that one cross-country flight in the U.S. gives you more radiation than living for 10 days in an average town near the Fukushima plant.

I don't think the folks in Massachusetts have anything to worry about.
Finally, someone with a rational post on this issue:) And thanks for the link.

BTW, I also can scare myself with thoughts of radiation, but there are so many other things I can scare myself with thoughts of that are equally non-detectable with our senses. Lets at least take comfort that radiation is much more detectable than many deadly chemicals/biological toxins. Always gotta look on the :sun side

BobTheBuilder
03-29-2011, 11:08
That's interesting, and surprising, given the fact that it took several hours for tsunami waves from the quake to reach U.S. shores. Obviously, whatever reverberations were detected in Florida must have moved through the center of the planet rather than along the surface at sea level.

Not really. The energy passed around the world through the earth's crust instead of through the center, but the transmission speed of the energy wave through the (generally) solid crust is much faster than the transmission speed through water. Very much like the speed of sound, which is higher through the water than through the air, and higher through most solids than through water.

Sorry, got my nerd hat on today.

Blue Jay
03-29-2011, 11:10
when the media reports that a particular event has "raised radiation levels to 1,000 times above normal" they fail to add that radiation can be a MILLION times above normal before it even begins to be a problem, so there's no context.

On this issue the media which has almost zero credibility at the best of times, has less than zero now. As your brother in law will also tell you is that there are many aspects of this disaster which no one has the slightest clue as to what has happened or will happen. For example plutonium, a completely man made substance, has never escaped before. It has the potential to kill every living thing it touches, over and over, for thousands of years. Will it, we don't have the slightest idea. We are yet again conducting an unknown number of completely blind scientific experiments with the entire planet as the gunea pig.:banana

WingedMonkey
03-29-2011, 11:12
Not really. The energy passed around the world through the earth's crust instead of through the center, but the transmission speed of the energy wave through the (generally) solid crust is much faster than the transmission speed through water. Very much like the speed of sound, which is higher through the water than through the air, and higher through most solids than through water.

Sorry, got my nerd hat on today.

Thanks nerd :D

For more information on the actual post.

Pedaling Fool
03-29-2011, 11:20
Kind of a separate issue, but not entirely, yet very interesting. If you were to fall through a hole in the earth the travel time would be 42 minutes. http://www.mathreference.com/ca-vec,tunnel.html
:)

berninbush
03-29-2011, 11:34
the transmission speed of the energy wave through the (generally) solid crust is much faster than the transmission speed through water. Very much like the speed of sound, which is higher through the water than through the air, and higher through most solids than through water.

Thanks, I'd forgotten that particular science fact, but it makes sense. :)

Hm, sounding like the actual plant sites with plutonium sitting around may be uninhabitable for a long, long time. I just hope the end result is not to create a "dead zone" like around Chernobyl. Japan was crowded enough already without losing usable land.

berninbush
03-29-2011, 11:37
Kind of a separate issue, but not entirely, yet very interesting. If you were to fall through a hole in the earth the travel time would be 42 minutes. http://www.mathreference.com/ca-vec,tunnel.html
:)

Ok, the folks at the link sound like they know what they're talking about, but *I* sure don't get it. I would have thought you'd come to a stop once you reach the center of the earth... It's hard to picture "falling up" away from the center of the earth for the second half of your trip.

Driver8
03-29-2011, 11:42
I just hope the end result is not to create a "dead zone" like around Chernobyl. Japan was crowded enough already without losing usable land.

I suspect this will be the end result. No one will want to live near this place anyhow. Probably not as large a dead zone as in the Ukraine, however. Latest news I've heard is that the plutonium found to have escaped containment means most likely that at least No. 2 suffered a partial meltdown. Sobering. Not a good idea to build a nuke plant near a big fault zone capable of an 8+ earthquake.

The Solemates
03-29-2011, 11:46
its only a matter of time when we will now start picking up nuclear waste in US water due to the japan earthquake :-?

RockDoc
03-29-2011, 14:08
Water is especially sensitive to earthquake waves because it is incompressible. (This is why you can "fish" in a pond with dynamite).

For example, water saturated sediments always shake more and longer than dry areas in earthquake regions. We saw this with the King Dome implosion in Seattle a few years ago. I think the water saturated river valleys rang for about twice as long as the dry hill areas.

So, no surprise that sensitive instruments would pick up earthquake waves in ground water a long way from the source. And, yes, the waves travel mainly through the crust.

Something that I haven't heard mentioned is the power of the peak ground accelerations from the Japan earthquake. Above a certain point it exceeds gravity and everything, including vehicles and structures, is thrown into the air. I would guess that this happened in some areas during the Japan quake. Pretty scary!

just another nerd (former FEMA earthquake person) chiming in...