PDA

View Full Version : A Message for R&R

TJ aka Teej
01-14-2005, 12:02
[email protected] writes:
"Unfortunately real "AT" is evidently a language too many who promote themselves visibly as AT members don't really understand."
"the internet Trail Community and its chat medium is a farce to me and
only serves as a drag on the real "Conservancy" AT..."
"the "AT Community") (what a joke)..."
"I'm often amazed by the general lack of obvious awareness by the Trail Community. Frankly, it makes Trail members look dumb."
-------------------------------------------------------------
R&R,

Since you are a member of the AT Community, and have exhibited an unequaled disgust and loathing for that same community, may I suggest some ways you might modify your opinion?

First, I suggest you meet, in person, with some of the people you type against. Please consider participating in one or more of the following:

The Southern Ruck, which is this weekend: www.soruck.com (http://www.soruck.com/)
The PA Ruck, Jan 28-30 http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck
The BillVille Winter Warmer, Duncannon PA, March 4-6
TrailFest, in HotSprings, April 22-24 www.trailfest.net (http://www.trailfest.net/)
TrailDays, in Damascus May 13-15
National Trail Day is June 4th, www.americanhiking.org (http://www.americanhiking.org/)
The ATC Biennial in Johnson City, TN. July 2nd, www.southernhighlands2005.org (http://www.southernhighlands2005.org/)
The ALDHA Gathering, in Hanover, NH, October 7-10 www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org/)
The Florida AT Club: Contact Grace Tyner: [email protected]
The Florida Trail Association: www.florida-trail.org (http://www.florida-trail.org/)

Secondly, I suggest you go hike some on the AT this season. There are many easy sections and shelters near road crossings. Go meet some of today's hikers. Visit Harper's Ferry and talk with some of the great volunteers, and maybe give a ride or two to hikers passing through. Come up to Maine and stay with me at Baxter Park and meet the AT hikers coming through. I'm booking lean-tos in May, August, September, and October. I'll also be hiking in the 100 mile, the Mahoosucs, the northern Long Trail, and the Whites, as well as visiting many service providers in NH and ME, if you need a shuttle anywhere up here just ask.

And thirdly, if interacting with other members of the 'real' and 'Internet' AT Community as suggested above hasn't improved your opinion of us, I suggest you find a grander scale for your complaints. Write an article for the Appalachian Trailways News, or for the ALDHA newsletter, on why you think we are a '"farce" and what we should do to improve ourselves. Write a calm and well thought-out essay about how you feel about us and post it on WhiteBlaze, the at-l, and TrailPlace. Go to an ALDHA Gathering, stand up and be recognized during your AT year's rollcall, and speak up. And while you're there why not give a presentation at the Dartmouth Gathering? It's easy to get on the schedule and book a classroom. You could even schedule a campfire talk at the beach at Storrs Pond if you want.

In conclusion, may I suggest that if you continue to contribute nothing but keyboard enabled anger to the AT Community you're part of the problem you constantly complain about, and not part of the solution you continue to claim we need.

See you on the Trail,

TJ
----------
Edit, January 15 8;15 AM: In a response below, this post has been called an "attack" by R&R. I'm evidently no wordsmith if that's the way it came out. There's a thin line between confronting a critic and antagonizing him. Sorry if I crossed that line when I tried to defend the AT Community by challenging that Community's harshest critic. ~ TJ

hikerjohnd
01-14-2005, 12:51
What is the context of R&R's original quotes?

minnesotasmith
01-14-2005, 12:57
That is a nice list of gatherings. Thank you for collecting and posting such useful info in one place.

Dainon
01-14-2005, 13:26
TJ, that's actually a very helpful list of meetings that you posted. I wanted to go to the SoRuck this weekend but I'm stuck at work. That said, I think that I'll be able to make quite a few of the others.

Taking it one step further, and assuming that it's not already done and I've missed it, but perhaps that list could be posted on the "Information" section of WB and added to/modified as needed. Anyway, just a thought.

TJ aka Teej
01-14-2005, 16:34
What is the context of R&R's original quotes?
For R&R's comments on the Trail Community in their complete context:

http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/at-l/ (http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/at-l/)
Search by author to see all at-l posts by [email protected] .

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=245404 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=245404)
Link displays all WhiteBlaze posts by R&R.

I do not know if R&R posts in the same manner on TrailPlace.com

TJ aka Teej
01-14-2005, 16:56
...perhaps that list could be posted on the "Information" section of WB and added to/modified as needed. Excellent idea, Dainon! I've opened a new thread for a 2005 Hiker Events Calendar at: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7083
R&R, another Florida event has been added.

Rocks 'n Roots
01-14-2005, 17:28
Evidence of the "farce" I pointed out is "TJ" (a man who attacks virtually any and every effort at internet Trail advocacy and conservation) posing as a credible Trail insider giving advice. This is the same person who posts personal slights against Weary of all people. To put things in perspective, TJ accused Weary of scamming people with the Maine Land Trust. He also maligns the AMC while they preserve Trail corridor (one of the only groups successfully doing that) and tries to deny Wingfoot credit when credible AT insiders strongly say otherwise. He also questioned whether I had even ever visited the AT. I was an AT supervisor for 10 years. Yet he never the less invites me to get to know the AT more with his kind references.

TJ tends to go to extreme lengths with veiled personal attacks posing as Trail knowledge. The original quotes above were in reference to cell phones and their leading people into danger by their use as a lifesaving device. TJ never responded to the original topic but instead did his usual and went to lengths to formulate some kind of personal attack. I suggest this is exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned "farce". I stand by my words and can back them. TJ's response only reinforces what I was saying...

Jack Tarlin
01-14-2005, 17:56
That's all well and good Rocks, but just out of curiousity, of the annual Trail Gatherings that Teej has thoughtfully told us about, how many have you attended recently? This isn't meant to be a slight or attack, so please don't go into your defensive mode. All I'm suggesting is that you might want to consider reaching out to folks in ways other than on anonymous Internet message boards.

And lastly, while your defense of Weary is no doubt well-intended, NOBODY on this forum or any other one is "off-limits" when it comes to discussing their words, writings, actions. This includes Weary, Wingfoot, you, me, or anyone else. If people choose to state public positions or make public statements on Trail matters, then this invites others to comment, congratulate, or criticize.
Nobody is on a pedestal in this regards and nobody occupies a position so lofty that they should be considered untouchable when it comes to comment or criticism. There are no doubt folks in the Trail community (and no, I'm NOT referring to Weary, whose contributions to that Trail I respect a great deal) who do seem to have this opinion of themselves and their opinions, but I assure you, they're mistaken. To take or to seek a public role is to invite public comment; people that get prickly when it comes to personal criticism need to either re-consider the ammount of time they spend in the public eye, or better yet, they should temper some of their public comments, or Internet postings, with more tact, maturity, and plain old common sense.

rickb
01-14-2005, 18:19
What a crock.

TJ's post had some good info. But to introduce drama from another board stinks.

I do have to give TJ some credit though. When you can insult someone with the suggestion that he go hiking on "any easy sections and shelters near road crossings" and do so in such a way that one as savy as BJ fails to see the intent (and insult), then you are clever indeed.

Rick B

Lugnut
01-14-2005, 22:18
It would seem that R&R just got "Tarlinized". ;)

Rocks 'n Roots
01-14-2005, 23:32
To entertain this is to give credit to someone whose specialty is not answering the topic but rather going and compiling some linked and indexed file on a person and his internet history. As I recall, TJ is the same person who dug up personal sexual matters on Warren Doyle and posted them on this board. I think that speaks for itself. Personal sexual matters are usually against most board rules. I'm surprised he was allowed to do that. This attempt here at character assassination is more of the same.

The original context was an AT-L post made by me saying AT internet members tend to avoid any negative examples of cell phones. The case in California of men in shorts hiking deep into a snowy canyon could possibly have been caused by their expectation that the cell phone was a safety device that would allow them to continue. The rendering of this was "Cell Phone Saves Hikers". My point was that it could possibly have lead them into danger as well. This aspect will never be discussed by the average internet member because they are quietly pushing cell phones in order not to be caught looking like a "purist" (as if purist was some kind of dirty word). Though I doubt they would like to be called "impurists"...

I don't know what Jack's point was...

TJ aka Teej
01-14-2005, 23:41
TJ accused Weary of scamming people with the Maine Land Trust. He also maligns the AMC while they preserve Trail corridor (one of the only groups successfully doing that) and tries to deny Wingfoot credit when credible AT insiders strongly say otherwise. He also questioned whether I had even ever visited the AT.
"Scamming"?? Nonsense. I do have an idea about what 'preservation' is, and the AMC proposed developement and continued logging isn't 'preservation' in my book. When Wingfoot said he stopped the Putnam Mine with emails and therefore people should send him donations, I supplied contrary facts. R&R then accused the North Carolina Mining Commision and me of conspiring against Wingfoot, and a doctored email was posted on Trailplace. No crediable AT insider ever said Wingfoot stopped the Putnam Mine with emails. Wingfoot has since modified his claim to reflect the facts, and perhaps it's time for you to do the same. For years of your internet negativity, you never provided any background about yourself. A few months ago you began to, and good for you. Your above response only reinforces what's been said about you, R&R. Anyways... what about all those opportunities to meet real people who are members of the Trail Community? Will you consider going to one of them? What about writing about your disapointment with the Trail Community for the ATN? What about making a presentaion on your ideas at the ALDHA Gathering?

TJ aka Teej
01-14-2005, 23:43
I do have to give TJ some credit though. When you can insult someone with the suggestion that he go hiking on "any easy sections and shelters near road crossings" and do so in such a way that one as savy as BJ fails to see the intent (and insult), then you are clever indeed.

My actual words were: "Secondly, I suggest you go hike some on the AT this season. There are many easy sections and shelters near road crossings."

Rick, R&R has posted that he doesn't hike anymore because of an old injury to his leg.

TJ aka Teej
01-15-2005, 00:03
All I'm suggesting is that you might want to consider reaching out to folks in ways other than on anonymous Internet message boards.

I don't know what Jack's point was...
Perhaps you should try reading his words again, R&R.

SGT Rock
01-15-2005, 00:19
Geez, why don't you guys argue in private instead of dragging the rest of us into it.

TJ aka Teej
01-15-2005, 00:44
Geez, why don't you guys argue in private instead of dragging the rest of us into it.
Rock, R&R's constant complaints about the AT Internet Community are posted "in public" here and elsewhere on the web. I chose to respond "in public" to those complaints. I also suggested things that might hopefully improve his opinion of us, and some alternative methods for him to vent and reach out to real people. In my opinion a private response to him would do nothing in regard to his low opinion of us, and a public debate on the merits of the AT Community is worthy of our time. However, I respect your opinion, and will not respond further in this thread if that is your wish.

Jack Lincoln
01-15-2005, 02:48
At least, not mine! He can lead enlisted men and women during his service but in civilian life his opinion is worth exactly as much as yours and ours.

So quit the ass kissing and post whatever you like. Read the first amendment, if you care to.

Jack

SGT Rock
01-15-2005, 08:16
At least, not mine! He can lead enlisted men and women during his service but in civilian life his opinion is worth exactly as much as yours and ours.

So quit the ass kissing and post whatever you like. Read the first amendment, if you care to.

Jack

No I am not a censor, just a site administrator. My point is this is basically the start of a flame war, seems flame wars can turn the newbies off to the site and that is my main concern. And unlike a thread that degenerates that I normally move off to the off-topic forum, this one looks like it was designed just to hack on someone.

Anyway...

If you read through the history of my posts I have always been heavy anti-censorship and very pro self discipline in posts. If someone pisses me off I typically out my thick skin back on and get over it. The only user who I ever deleted a post and banned was a spammer from some handbag company in Asia, other than that, I generally leave things in tact and ask people to do what they should.

So anyway stop antagonizing. Let folks make their own decisions without feeling like the gang on the sidelines is pushing them on.

Rocks 'n Roots
01-15-2005, 17:01
It's rather obvious TJ can't answer the original topic - which was the tendency for people to rely on cell phones as a lifesaver and how the recent case in California was probably related to this.

To cut to the chase I suggest ATC stand up for its wilderness purpose and ban cell phones on the AT like Baxter. People who want to use the Trail can then decide for themselves and figure out why instead of persecuting people who stand up for an important AT aspect that gets lost in the AT social club chatter. These airhead cowboys who proudly boast "I'm going to bring my cell phone no matter what others think" can be put in their proper place and get a good AT wildness lesson. The government already bans all sorts of things in federal wildernesses, time it did so on the AT for the same reasons...

Lugnut
01-16-2005, 01:38
How do you propose this cell phone ban be enforced? Pack inspections at trailheads! Just wondering. :-?

orangebug
01-16-2005, 20:31
It's rather obvious TJ can't answer the original topic - which was the tendency for people to rely on cell phones as a lifesaver and how the recent case in California was probably related to this....Any evidence that "probably" is an accurate term? I believe your prior complaint was that the "possibility" wasn't given credible consideration. The original article failed to demonstrate that "possibility" existed outside a vivid imagination.

Much less, what is the evidence that cell phones are relies upon as a lifesaver, when coverage is sparce along AT and other rural trails?

Perhaps we need to train hikers in how to channel more effectively.

Rocks 'n Roots
01-16-2005, 22:52
Mentioning channeling in every post is obnoxious trolling...

TJ aka Teej
01-16-2005, 23:39
I suggest ATC stand up for its wilderness purpose and ban cell phones on the AT
Do you plan on doing more than just whine about it on the Internet?

Rocks 'n Roots
01-17-2005, 16:19
You can clearly see that people who refuse to answer simple, civil questions about cell phones or AT wildness usually resort to flames and uncalled for defensiveness.

If ATC were to simply make a statement about cell phones and their effect on AT wildness - or even consider them contrary to the AT's wildness purpose and therefore banned, it would go a long way.

I've seen numerous posts endorsing respect for the law by members. Therefore banning them should involve no need for enforcement amongst this "warm & friendly" community eager to investigate, understand, and promote the Trail they love...

JoeHiker
01-17-2005, 17:41
It's rather obvious TJ can't answer the original topic - which was the tendency for people to rely on cell phones as a lifesaver and how the recent case in California was probably related to this.

To cut to the chase I suggest ATC stand up for its wilderness purpose and ban cell phones on the AT like Baxter. People who want to use the Trail can then decide for themselves and figure out why instead of persecuting people who stand up for an important AT aspect that gets lost in the AT social club chatter. These airhead cowboys who proudly boast "I'm going to bring my cell phone no matter what others think" can be put in their proper place and get a good AT wildness lesson. The government already bans all sorts of things in federal wildernesses, time it did so on the AT for the same reasons...
Come now. How many people are blithely tramping into the wilderness and danger unprepared, trusting only in cell phones to save them in the event of danger? If even one person does this, to ban cell-phones as a result is as patently silly as banning first-aid kits because they won't save you from a bear attack or a fall off a mountain.

More to the tpoint: How much of your desire to ban cell phones arises out of concern for the well-being of you fellow hikers and how much arises out of just not liking technology in your wilderness?

Rocks 'n Roots
01-17-2005, 20:34
The answer is simple. The AT wasn't founded for the well being of fellow hikers. It was founded for wilderness preservation...

What would the answer be to the same question asked of Baxter?

TJ aka Teej
01-17-2005, 21:21
The AT wasn't founded for the well being of fellow hikers. It was founded for wilderness preservation...
R&R, Benton MacKaye uses the word "wilderness" once in his proposal for "An Appalachian Trail: A Project for Regional Planning". He doesn't use the word "preservation" at all. "Trail" is used 33 times, "development" eight, "employment" nine, and "recreation" seven.

Where in "Regional Planning" does it say the reason for the Trail was wilderness preservation?

TJ aka Teej
01-17-2005, 21:24
[QUOTE=Rocks 'n Roots]

If ATC were to simply make a statement about cell phones and their effect on AT wildness - or even consider them contrary to the AT's wildness purpose and therefore banned, it would go a long way.
[QUOTE]

R&R, what are you persoanally willing to do to encourage the ATC to make such a statement?

Rocks 'n Roots
01-17-2005, 21:42
Those who study the AT honestly - apart from trying to yank somebody's chain - know without any need to prove it that MacKaye was thoroughly for preserving wilderness and wilderness qualities on the AT. The point at which he left the AT was when he discovered politicians were grouping against the AT in the Shenandoah with a Skyline Drive literally over the top of his path and project.

I feel sorry for people who try to distort or misrepresent MacKaye for petty sakes of argument rather than appreciate what he actually believed. If MacKaye were here today those doubting this would be quickly quieted - as they have been several times already...

TJ aka Teej
01-17-2005, 22:36
Those who study the AT honestly
I'm not asking them, R&R. I'm asking you.

You say "the AT was founded for wilderness preservation". So why then didn't Benton MacKaye say that when he proposed founding an Appalachian Trail? If his reason was "wilderness preservation" why did he propose hydro-electric dams, coal mines, thousands of acres devoted to sanitariums alone, farm camps, permanent timber and forest camps, saw mills, lakeside support communities and why did he propose relocating 40,000 city dwellers to Trail lands? "There are in the Appalachian belt probably 25 million acres of grazing and agricultural land awaiting development. Here is room for a whole new rural population. Here is an opportunity - if only the way can be found - for that counter migration from city to country that has so long been prayed for." - Benton MacKaye. Why did he emphasize recreation and development and never mention wilderness preservation at all?

I've recently re-read Larry Anderson's excellent MacKaye biography. Have you read it, R&R? What did you think about Anderson's understand of why MacKaye wrote 'Regional Planning'?

Rocks 'n Roots
01-17-2005, 22:58
I've explained that at least a half dozen times to you TJ. I don't feel like retyping it for the seventh time. Try the archives.

What is your intention? To fight AT wilderness values?

Lugnut
01-18-2005, 01:50
R&R, Isn't this the same bunch of BS that so endeared you to members of the at-l?

JoeHiker
01-18-2005, 02:36
The answer is simple. The AT wasn't founded for the well being of fellow hikers. It was founded for wilderness preservation...
No it was not. MacKay was trying to get people back into the wilderness, to prevent them from migrating to the cities. One does not "preserve the wilderness" by building a trail through it and encouraging people to live there. If the AT were founded for wilderness preservation, they would ban people

Anyway as long as you admit your cell-phone concerns are not related to the well-being of fellow hikers, spare us your disingenuous point about how cellphones contributing to hiker misfortunes.

What would the answer be to the same question asked of Baxter?
No need. Baxter bans cell phone use except for emergencies. They certainly do not prevent you from bringing them in.

TJ aka Teej
01-18-2005, 10:16
R&R, please respond to these questions asked of you in this thread:

"...just out of curiousity, of the annual Trail Gatherings that Teej has thoughtfully told us about, how many have you attended recently?"

"...what about all those opportunities to meet real people who are members of the Trail Community? Will you consider going to one of them? What about writing about your disappointment with the Trail Community for the ATN? What about making a presentation on your ideas at the ALDHA Gathering?"

"How do you propose this cell phone ban be enforced?"

"...what is the evidence that cell phones are relied upon as a lifesaver, when coverage is sparse along AT and other rural trails?"

"Do you plan on doing more than just whine about it [the ATC] on the Internet?"

"How much of your desire to ban cell phones arises out of concern for the well-being of you fellow hikers and how much arises out of just not liking technology in your wilderness?"

"Where in "Regional Planning" does it say the reason for the Trail was wilderness preservation?"

"R&R, what are you personally willing to do to encourage the ATC to make such a statement [about banning cell phones]?"

"Why did he [MacKaye] emphasize recreation and development and never mention wilderness preservation at all [in Regional Planning]?"

"What did you think about [Larry] Anderson's understanding [in his MacKaye biography] of why MacKaye wrote 'Regional Planning'?"

TJ aka Teej
01-18-2005, 10:19
This thread has been moved by a moderator to the "Off Topic" forum. It's about AT Issue Advocacy, the merits of the AT Community, the role of the Internet AT Community, and Benton MacKaye's reason for founding the Trail. How can that be "Off Topic"?

orangebug
01-18-2005, 11:18
This thread is about RnR. The topic has always been about him, inspite of his protests that this is trail advocacy, MacKaye idoloatry or other figment of his imagination.

It belongs off topic and over.

TJ aka Teej
01-18-2005, 12:28
This thread is about RnR.

Yes, about him and his role as critic/advocate. It began as a challenge to the AT Community's most obstinate tsk-tsker. A challenge that he should meet some of the people he types against, a challenge that he do more than just type if he wants to effect change. Instead of responding to the challenge or answering questions he decided to accuse me of microwaving kittens. I tried to call him on his low opinion of almost everyone, I invited him to join today's AT Community, and that if he really believes what he types he should address his idea of truth to the appropriate audience. Yet in the above responses you see what he's really interested in. So what result will remain from this discussion when this thread is deleted? None. R&R has confessed he's uninterested in anything but anonymous Internet quibbling, has no desire to raise the level of discourse, and has nothing positive to contribute at all.

Heck, I don't even *own* a microwave...

orangebug
01-18-2005, 14:49
Hopefully, this thread will disappear along with the "lighten up" and other racist threads. It only documents antipathy toward one hiker by a portion of our community, myself included. It does nothing toward actually bringing that hiker into our fold, but serves only to further marginalize him.

Really, we should be better than that. Then, so might he.

ATTROLL! Tear down this threads of vitriole.

TJ aka Teej
01-18-2005, 22:04
It [this thread]does nothing toward actually bringing that hiker into our fold, but serves only to further marginalize him.

It was his choice how to respond to my message. Imagine if he had gone to the SORUCK, chose to write about his AT community ideas in the ATN, decided to lead a petition drive to have the ATC ban cell phones, come up to Baxter to hang around excited thrus, booked time at the Gathering to discuss MacKaye or just planned to stand up with his AT class and renew old friendships. I honestly wish he'd responded differently.

Rocks 'n Roots
01-20-2005, 16:43
No it was not. MacKay was trying to get people back into the wilderness, to prevent them from migrating to the cities. One does not "preserve the wilderness" by building a trail through it and encouraging people to live there. If the AT were founded for wilderness preservation, they would ban people

This is obviously an off-the-cuff reaction post by somebody who doesn't fully understand Benton MacKaye's plan or his intentions. This statement is a distortion of MacKaye's plans. Yes, he intended planned communities, but those communities were out in the periphery of the vast lands he intended to involve. He never got those huge acreages. His plan always included a wild core - which was completely overlooked above...

TJ: I think you dodged answering why MacKaye left his own project in serious philosophical disagreement when they developed the Skyline Drive and facilities over the top of the path? If he was the pro-developer you cite above (disingenuously) why did he do that?

TJ aka Teej
01-20-2005, 17:42
TJ: I think you dodged answering why MacKaye left his own project in serious philosophical disagreement when they developed the Skyline Drive and facilities over the top of the path? If he was the pro-developer you cite above (disingenuously) why did he do that?
I agree with Larry Anderson's analysis, discussed at the MacKaye Symposium I attended at Dartmouth, and later explained in detail in his excellent biography of Benton MacKaye. Ego.

Do you still intend on dodging these questions asked of you in this thread?

"...just out of curiousity, of the annual Trail Gatherings that Teej has thoughtfully told us about, how many have you attended recently?"

"...what about all those opportunities to meet real people who are members of the Trail Community? Will you consider going to one of them? What about writing about your disappointment with the Trail Community for the ATN? What about making a presentation on your ideas at the ALDHA Gathering?"

"How do you propose this cell phone ban be enforced?"

"...what is the evidence that cell phones are relied upon as a lifesaver, when coverage is sparse along AT and other rural trails?"

"Do you plan on doing more than just whine about it [the ATC] on the Internet?"

"How much of your desire to ban cell phones arises out of concern for the well-being of you fellow hikers and how much arises out of just not liking technology in your wilderness?"

"Where in "Regional Planning" does it say the reason for the Trail was wilderness preservation?"

"R&R, what are you personally willing to do to encourage the ATC to make such a statement [about banning cell phones]?"

"Why did he [MacKaye] emphasize recreation and development and never mention wilderness preservation at all [in Regional Planning]?"

"What did you think about [Larry] Anderson's understanding [in his MacKaye biography] of why MacKaye wrote 'Regional Planning'?"

JoeHiker
01-20-2005, 17:48
This is obviously an off-the-cuff reaction post by somebody who doesn't fully understand Benton MacKaye's plan or his intentions.
Well I don't know about you, RnR, but when I attempt to understand the man's plans and he's not available to talk to, I read what he wrote. MacKaye's proposal for the trail listed a number of purposes none of which said the first thing about "wilderness preservation".

MacKaye had 3 purposes for the trail. He listed them explicitly: recreation, health and recuperation, and employment opportunities.

This statement is a distortion of MacKaye's plans. Yes, he intended planned communities, but those communities were out in the periphery of the vast lands he intended to involve. He never got those huge acreages. His plan always included a wild core - which was completely overlooked above...

Well, silly me I'm just reading the original proposal. Since you claim to fully understand MacKaye's intent and all we can only assume one of three things:

1. You have some sort of documentation on the subject which contradicts what he wrote in his proposal. He apparently published many works, so it shouldn't be hard. Please, identify the document in question. Quote any relevant passages.

2. You spoke to him extensively before he died 30 years ago in which he revealed to you his secret plans that he never documented in his proposal

3. You have the ability to read minds -- of the dead, no less.

Which is it?

TJ aka Teej
01-20-2005, 19:42
Well, silly me I'm just reading the original proposal.
Well Joe, when someone types:

The AT wasn't founded for the well being of fellow hikers. It was founded for wilderness preservation...
You'd think that the Founder Of The Appalachian Trail must've mentioned that in his proposal to found an Appalachian Trail, wouldn't you? However..

R&R, Benton MacKaye uses the word "wilderness" once in his proposal for "An Appalachian Trail: A Project for Regional Planning". He doesn't use the word "preservation" at all. "Trail" is used 33 times, "development" eight, "employment" nine, and "recreation" seven.
Where in "Regional Planning" does it say the reason for the Trail was wilderness preservation?
Perhaps it's just silly of us to ask R&R to back any of the stuff he says...

orangebug
01-20-2005, 21:55
Yes it is pointless and silly.

He can't.

He won't try.

He will accuse you of avoiding responses.

He will continue to channel the "real motives" of the living and the dead.

There is nothing to see here.

Move on.

wacocelt
01-20-2005, 23:34
Whiteblaze.net A Community of Appalachian Trail Entuisiasts

I believe we could all use a large dose of enthuisiasm and alot less antagonism here. The majority of folks on WB are here to ask or answer questions about hiking and the AT itself, there is however a minority who will only contribute the most caustic, tangential opinions they can muster. I don't understand why this latter group does so, though I do understand that giving them a thread all to themselves makes that black spot of hate which fuels them grow bigger and darker.

There is no way to dissuade them, just ignore them.

Rocks 'n Roots
01-23-2005, 00:59
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy

The problem is too many people are ignoring this as well along with its purpose because some internet people label necessary discussion of Trail philosophy as disruption...

Rocks 'n Roots
01-23-2005, 01:02
Well I don't know about you, RnR, but when I attempt to understand the man's plans and he's not available to talk to, I read what he wrote. MacKaye's proposal for the trail listed a number of purposes none of which said the first thing about "wilderness preservation".

This quote is a perfect example of how little people understand MacKaye or his relationship to the AT...

dperry
01-25-2005, 03:05
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy

The problem is too many people are ignoring this as well along with its purpose because some internet people label necessary discussion of Trail philosophy as disruption...Funny, there seems to be plenty of discussion about hiking on here, and no one seems to think it's disruptive. Hmmmm.....:rolleyes:

JoeHiker
01-25-2005, 11:07
This quote is a perfect example of how little people understand MacKaye or his relationship to the AT...
And this is a perfect example of you once again dodging a simple question that has been put to you repeatedly.

What is your source for this "wilderness preservation" purpose that you say MacKaye had as his primary goal. Where did you learn this exactly.

All of us with our inferior understanding of MacKaye await your correction. Show us how you divined his secret intent. Please. We're waiting for your sources.

But of course, you have none.

c63
03-03-2005, 19:00
Since you are a member of the AT Community, and have exhibited an unequaled disgust and loathing for that same community, may I suggest some ways you might modify your opinion?

First, I suggest you meet, in person, with some of the people you type against.

Ain't that the truth

gotta go love all , Dave