PDA

View Full Version : how long ct-me.

cricket71
03-21-2011, 16:45
how long does it usually take to do the new england section of the A.T. ? can't thru hike it for a couple more years cuz the wife is working on her dream, oops P.H.D. so I've gotta do bits and peices for now. :-?

blitz1
03-21-2011, 17:06
how far do you like to hike in a day? The CT piece and MA are pretty mellow IMO but it gets more "interesting" as you get into the whites. Doing bits and pieces is a great idea to see how you like it and how it feels for the next few yrs. also gives you a chance to shakeout your gear, and decide what works for you, can you reduce your base weight? then in a few yrs you'll be prepared for a great thru. Can your wife join you?

cricket71
03-21-2011, 18:43
been hikin for a bit, ct. and vt. with my sister who lives in n. concord, the problem is I can usually only get a couple weeks off at a pop. been talkin with the sis about doin the LT. around mid september. she says the only problem is alot of weekenders like myself around that time of year. I'm in good @ 5'9" 170# and can usually push out a 15 to 20 mile day in 8 to 10 hrs but thats on the tstretch of the A.T. in CT. In the winter with gear and snowshoes 10 to 15 hard miles. I usually come in @25 to 28 lbs. for base weight including food. I'ld like to thin that down a bit maybe go with a hammok and frmeless pack. My big problem is I eat alot so food usually comes in @ 2.5-3#'s a day, and the stove is alcohol so not much weight there. Suggestions are always appreciated.

Montana Mac
03-21-2011, 18:57
According to a calculator it is roughly 735 miles so divide that by your average mpd and it should give you an idea of time needed.

Here is a link to that calculator

http://www.atdist.com/dbatdist.php

Blissful
03-21-2011, 19:53
I'd give it 7 weeks if you're fresh. No way are you gonna begin to do that kind of mileage once you hit NH.

cricket71
03-21-2011, 20:43
yes' thank you blissful according to calc on mileage, terraine, and resupply my calculations were not to far off. but coming from someone such as yourself with your experiance I appreciate it. thanx for the blog....

Trailbender
03-21-2011, 21:11
I did 13-20 a day through the Whites, but I was doing a thru.

TJ aka Teej
03-21-2011, 21:22
how long does it usually take to do the new england section of the A.T. ?

Kent to Katahdin took me 58 days of hiking, one day off in Vermont, I got a ride down from Mt Washington and took the gondola up Wildcat two days later, and two days off in Monson - 62 days total, skipping a few NH miles.

DavidNH
03-21-2011, 21:27
I'd give it two solid months.

10-K
03-21-2011, 21:31
6 weeks to the day from Bear Mt, NY to summit of Katahdin with 3 zeros and 3 days with less than 10 miles.

Smooth sailing all the way to Glencliff, NH then prepare to hit the brakes until just north of Stratton, ME.

Trailbender
03-23-2011, 16:54
6 weeks to the day from Bear Mt, NY to summit of Katahdin with 3 zeros and 3 days with less than 10 miles.

Smooth sailing all the way to Glencliff, NH then prepare to hit the brakes until just north of Stratton, ME.

Yeah, I made the mistake of resupplying in Glencliffe, then doing that section after it mostly in the dark, until I hit that one campsite, not sure how far in it was.

cricket71
03-25-2011, 20:22
thanks for the input folks. until I can get a date set in stone I'll just keep up with the 2-3 day hikes and try to push out as many miles as I can. work,eat,sleep, hike, and yak, glad I married a patient women.