PDA

View Full Version : NOAA Weather Radio

swjohnsey
03-21-2011, 18:00
Can you get NOAA Weather Radio on the AT?

jlb2012
03-21-2011, 18:21
most of the time you can but there are some spots where you can't get it

10-K
03-21-2011, 18:22
Yes, everywhere I've been with my weather radio I've been able to pick up NOAA weather reports no problem.

I have not had my radio with me every time but since you are rarely very far from civilization my guess is that you could pick it up all the way up the trail.

smalls
03-22-2011, 16:57
By law, the NOAA transmitters are required to cover something crazy like 98% of 'inhabited' areas. I would imagine there are plenty of deep dark hollows and steep valleys along the trail where you can't hear much, but I'd also bet that its only a tiny fraction of the total trail length.

Coverage in the deep south is *excellent* owing to the frequency of severe weather, and even in the deepest darkest holes in northern Georgia, I could always hear it. From the Smokies north to probably NH, its so densly populated that coverage is certain to be very good as well. Only in the more sparse areas of the northern 1/3 of the trail could I imagine holes in coverage.

Thanks to the VHF frequency range (162MHz) it does pretty good at covering mountainous terrain and dense foliage. Much better than say cell phones, GPS, or even FRS and EMS radios.

-Smalls

Spokes
03-22-2011, 17:55
Those transistor radio size weather radios are getting harder and harder to come by. Prolly cause most people carry smartphones with the WeatherChannel app.

XCskiNYC
03-22-2011, 18:17
Here are a couple of portable radios with the weather band. The same site also has lots of heavier radios with the automatic notification feature so NOAA can remotely make an alarm go off on the radio in case of a weather emergency, no matter what mode the radio's in.

http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_SRFM37W/

http://www.jr.com/sangean/pe/SGN_DT400W/

XCskiNYC
03-22-2011, 18:26
Amazon has a much lower price on the first of the above two radios ($26.02 direct from Amazon, free super saver shipping)

smalls
03-22-2011, 19:19
Actually, the really tiny weather radios are just changing, more than getting scarce. Most have gone to a hand cranked flashlight/ AM/FM/WX radio format (http://www.jcwhitney.com/microlinkfr160-self-powered-am/fm/noaa-weather-radio-with-flashlight-solar-power-and-cell-phone-charger/p2023699.jcwx?filterid=j1)for emergency preparedness. Really, I think almost every hiker should have one. No batteries to die, and in the event of really foul weather, you've always got a functioning weather radio.

There is also one made I believe by Midland that I have tucked away somewhere that is smaller than a credit card and runs on two AAA batteries. It would be trivial to hook it up to a little tiny solar panel as well. With batteries, it weighs less than 3oz. I'll have to look up the model number on that one.

-Smalls

smalls
03-22-2011, 19:20
Bonus: Many of those hand cranked NOAA radios also have a cellphone charging ports, for those real "Oh crap" moments when you need to call for help and your battery is dead.

-Smalls

Slo-go'en
03-22-2011, 20:50
When I used to carry the little sony am/fm/tv/wb radio, I found reception at shelters was often marginal or not at all. It seems shelters are often in the shadow of the VHF signal. Would have to try and remember to listen to the weather forcast while still up on the ridge line, where the signal was good.

Spokes
03-22-2011, 21:05
Bonus: Many of those hand cranked NOAA radios also have a cellphone charging ports, for those real "Oh crap" moments when you need to call for help and your battery is dead.

-Smalls

Those "hand crank" radios are for home use not hiking.

Of course I'm sure there's some who would lug it around on the trail.... along with a SPOT device too!

10-K
03-22-2011, 21:09
Those "hand crank" radios are for home use not hiking.

Of course I'm sure there's some who would lug it around on the trail.... along with a SPOT device too!

I would say you could have my SPOT when you can pry it from my cold, dead fingers but there would be a certain irony to that... :)

smalls
03-22-2011, 21:15
My little hand crank flashlight/radio is waterproof, solar powered as well as crank powered, has a powerful little light, can charge my cellphone, weighs 5oz, and fits in my pocket nicely.

How is that for home use only?

-Smalls

Spokes
03-22-2011, 21:15
I would say you could have my SPOT when you can pry it from my cold, dead fingers but there would be a certain irony to that... :)

hehehehehehe

I say dump the SPOT and carry an equal weight in Snicker Bars!
At least they'll eventually find you and you'll have a smile on your face.

Spokes
03-22-2011, 21:16
My little hand crank flashlight/radio is waterproof, solar powered as well as crank powered, has a powerful little light, can charge my cellphone, weighs 5oz, and fits in my pocket nicely.

How is that for home use only?

-Smalls

If I cut all the "5 oz." items out of my pack I'd be considered an ultra lighter......
I'm working on it.