PDA

View Full Version : Leaving a Bike at the Trailhead

Cool Hands
03-21-2011, 18:34
I am planning a three-day NOBO backpack of the South Taconic Trail and a SOBO traverse of the section of the AT through the Taconics, about 32 miles of trail, and was hoping to connect the two trailheads without a four mile roadwalk -- I'm covered as far as transportation to the southern terminus of the STT and transportation from the southern AT road crossing is concerned.

Anyways, I noticed that the northern terminus of the South Taconic Trail at Catamount Ski Area is in a relatively high pass, and therefore the route to the AT at its crossing of North Undermountain Road is mostly downhill, so I'm thinking about hiding a bike somewhere where I could retrieve it and wouldn't have to worry about it getting stolen -- probably a few yards into the woods. My question was have any of you ever done something similar, and do you think it would be safe to do this? I won't tell you when I'm doing the hike, for obvious reasons ;).

Also, if you're familiar with the area, do you have any suggestions for camping on the South Taconic Trail other than the hut on Alander Mountain, or any other information on the route I might want to know?

johnnyblisters
03-21-2011, 18:41
While Ridgerunning in that section, I would leave my bike hidden and locked to a tree and never had a problem. Rt. 41 & 7 get plenty of traffic but is beautiful to ride.

I've only hiked the STT on day hikes so I can't comment on camping but I wouldn't consider it any different from any other trail.

Egads
03-21-2011, 18:57
I've done it in NC. I've locked my bike up too. :D

johnnyblisters
03-21-2011, 19:39
I've done it in NC. I've locked my bike up too. :D

Zing! Bah duh bump

Cookerhiker
03-21-2011, 19:48
I've done several bike-one-way, hike-the-other-way outings in the AT corridor including a couple not far from where you're hiking. No problems but all them were single day trips i.e. not overnight. I stashed the bike out of sight and locked it.

Blissful
03-21-2011, 19:49
My hubby hid bikes in VA in thickets several times to meet us on the AT in '07. No issues. Not sure up there but it worked out fine for us.

Skid.
03-22-2011, 10:00
I plan on trying this in Va, but will be picking up a garage-sale bike beforehand, and leaving the Cannondale at home.........

Tinker
03-22-2011, 10:04
I did it many times in New Hampshire in the 1980s and 1990s. I used a woman's three speed in a dark color. Few people would want to risk getting caught trying to steal one of those (and yes, I locked it to a tree ;):D).

shelterbuilder
03-22-2011, 11:16
I did the same thing many years ago when I did the Mass. section of the AT after my partner cancelled at the last minute. Also locked the bike to a tree, and used a camo tarp to wrap the bike to make it even harder to see. No problems....

Driver8
03-22-2011, 11:39
Just take care to make sure you remember where you hide the bike. Maybe draw a map or take a photo or two.

Cosmo
03-23-2011, 15:55
I've done this too. The tricky part is riding the bike with a backpack.

Put a note on the bike, in case a maintainer or corridor monitor spots it. You don't have to give a specific return date, just let them know you will be returning to pick it up "in a few days".

Cosmo