PDA

View Full Version : My pack needs to go on a Diet! Please help.

WaitingInTheWeeds
03-21-2011, 19:57
Sorry if this is kinda long...

Ok so I got back yesterday from a 2-day hike in the Desoto National forest and the trip taught me a lot about my gear; mainly that it is way too heavy. (I'll be posting more on the trip in another thread). I know everyone here has seen a thousand threads like this before, but hey one more won't hurt right!? Besides I really do need some help getting the weight down.
I don't have an exact weight w/ food and water, but I'm pretty sure that w/ food and water the total weight was around 37-38 pounds. Obviously that is way too heavy and I'm now shooting for less that 25 pounds w/ food and water included.
Here is the list of items that I took along w/ notations of what I already know can be removed, what cannot, and what I need help replacing w/ something lighter. This list is for pack weight only, not what I will be wearing on a normal day. I will be bringing 2 trekking poles which are also not included in the list.

Pack
Coleman Elate 65L ($69) ~4lbs
- I couldn't take my Go-lite Jam (~1lb 10oz) pack w/ me because my gear simply didn't fit. I made due w/ a Coleman Elate 65L pack from Wally World because I didn't want to cancel my trip. This pack is junk, too heavy, and is going back to Wally World today. I have to say I did like the top lid for storage and the load lifters helped (I think).
Question is, should I stick w/ the Jam (assuming I can get the weight/bulk down) or go w/ something like the Rei Flash 65 which has the top lid and load lifters, but weighs less than the Coleman? Bear in mind that I'm willing to shell out a little more money if needed, but the budget is still tight and I don't know if I can find another great deal like I did on the jam ($50 on clearance).

Shelter
Kelty Teton 2 ($95) ~4lbs 10oz
- Don't get me wrong, for the money this a great tent w/ plenty of room and easy set up. However, after the trip I felt like I didn't really need this 2 person "castle" and would like to go w/ something much lighter and smaller. (No hammocks). I was thinking maybe a tarptent or something similar? Recomendations? (Something less that 200 bucks would be best).

Sleeping
Campmor 20 Degree Down Bag ($120) ~2lbs 4oz
- Worked great and I doubt I'll find anything lighter without severly blowing the budget. Open to suggestions though.

Insulmat Self-Inflating Pad ($40) ~2lbs 4oz
- Was comfy, but I'm thinking I can save some weight here by going w/ a closed cell pad. Suggestions?

Camp Pillow ($?) ~6.5oz
- Hey look I just saved 6.5 oz cause this item is NOT going w/ me. I tried it and didn't like it at all.

Clothing (sorry don't have weights for most of these cause my bathroom scale won't register them)
Under Armour Frost Stopper Jacket ($35) ~1lb
- Don't think I can get much lighter here when I comes to a wind/water resistant warm jacket.

Paradox LS Base Layer Top (medium weight I think.)
- Already had this, don't want to spend money on something else that might save a few ounces.

Paradox Base Layer Bottom (same material as top)
- Will save a few ounces here cause I don't think I'll need them. However I don't know if just my normal pair of hiking pants will cut it on really cold days. Suggestions?

Fleece Hat
- Just a basic fleece hat

1 Target C9 DuoDry T-Shirt
- Basic hiking shirt. Worked great and low cost (Yay for clearance racks!).

2 Pairs Smartwool Socks
- Will eliminate a couple of ounces by just packing 1 pair.

1 Pair C9 Underwear
- I wore a pair and packed a pair on the Desoto trip. I will only bring 1 pair to wear on the AT and only then on cooler days or to sleep in. Went "commando" (sorry probably TMI) for the 1st time in Desoto and preferred it w/ the warm weather (80 degrees).

Lightweight Fleece Jacket
- Gonna save about 13 oz here cause I think it is overkill and will NOT be bringing it.

1 Pair of Gym Shorts
- Light and great for sleeping/wearing while doing laundry.

Dri Duck Rain Jacket
- Don't think I could get much lighter w/o sacrifcing durability.

Other
Katadyn Water Filter ~13 oz
- Will definately be bringing this. I know I could save weight by going w/ chemicals, but I don't think I could give up the benifits of having a filter.

GSI Soloist Pot & Cup ~1 lb 10z (including stove and stuff below)
- Worked great. Couldn't really save any weight unless I went titanium which is out of my budget.

NoLimits Canister Stove W/ Plastic Fork, Spoon, and 1 4oz Canister (See above for weight)
- Worked great. Found that I really like the ease of freezer bag cooking. Even if there are lighter alternitives (alcohol stoves for example), I've already used this item and can't return it now so I guess I'm stuck w/ it (which isn't neccesarily a bad thing).

Wally World Plastic Trowel
- Nuff said

Roll of TP
- Nuff said

Electronics ~1lb 6oz
- Camera (may replace with a new camera that uses batteries, eliminating the heavy charger)
- Cell phone w/ charger
- Headlamp
- Sansa Clip Mp3 player w/ charger & headphones (very light weight, probably wouldn't notice the difference if I didn't bring it)

1st Aid, Toiletries, and basic Swiss Army Knife ~1lb 7oz
- Will save ~6oz by leaving out some uneccesary 1st aid items, camp soap, deodarent stick, and sunscreen. Was thinking of leaving out the bug spray to save a few more ounces. I already have a head net (which is lighter). What do you think?

Journal and Section of AT Companion ~13oz
- Will save an ounce or 2 as I broke up the Companion into even smaller sections.

Food bag
- Gonna save a couple ounces by switching to a sil-nylon bag instead of the plastic thing I have now.

I think thats about it. I've already removed aproximately 2lbs 4oz as listed from my comments above. I will save another 2lbs 6oz if I go with my Go-lite Jam. That would get me down to roughly 32.5lbs with food and water, but it looks like I still need to cut 7.5lbs to get down to my 25lb goal. I might be able to shave off a pound by packing lighter food, but not really sure about that. Let the comments begin; and thank you all for your help.

10-K
03-21-2011, 20:00
Tent, 1st aid kit and your sleeping pad are the 3 that jumped out at me as heavy.

Lots of other places to lose ozs too...

Cabin Fever
03-21-2011, 20:42
Tent, 1st aid kit and your sleeping pad are the 3 that jumped out at me as heavy.

Lots of other places to lose ozs too...

Agreed. You should be able to easily shed 2+ lbs and not spend more than $200 (look into TarpTent). I would leave the trowel at home. Use a stick.

johnnyblisters
03-21-2011, 20:48
Jam, Tarptent contrail, CCF pad, and alcohol stove should save you about 6 pounds.

Papa D
03-21-2011, 21:00
here are a couple of items:
1) ditch the water filter and use aqua mira if you want to filter water - just boil water a little for cooking - i promise it will get clogged in a week anyway - i saved you about 10 ounces right there
2) your toilet kit sounds really heavy too - i take a toothbrush cut in half, a sample size tube of toothpaste, a tiny container of dr. brommers soap and 1/16th roll of toilet paper or so and some coaches tape for first aid - that's it = pare it down
3) you don't need the plastic trowel - use your shoe to dig a cat hole - you'll probably use the privy 90% of the time anyway
4) your clothes sound ok - doubt you need the base-layer top - hike in your shirt and take it off and just put on your fleece when it's cool
5) your tent is too heavy - a tarptent maybe? a MSR single Hubba?
6) pad is WAY heavy -any themo-rest is lighter
7) go back to the go-lite Jam - maybe it will all fit now
hate to add anything but I didn't see a pack towel or a pack cover - nice to have
that's a start - hope it helps

woodstock64
03-21-2011, 21:35
Replace GSI Soloist 1lb 10oz w/ the GSI Minimalist appr 7oz.

Papa D
03-21-2011, 21:45
saw that you are dead set on the filter - change your mind - I'm serious - about the third time you replace the $30 insert (even if you do the coffee filter on the pre-filter trick) you will say to yourself, damm, that guy was right - this is more trouble than it's worth and send it home. I've already hiked 700 or so miles with the same filter for you and yes, it's fine to have on weekend hikes, etc. but for your AT thru-hike, leave it behind - I promise

Papa D
03-21-2011, 21:49
you will also cross contaminate the thing if you are not exceedingly careful - just drink the water and do nothing if you don't like the chemicals (tons of people do) or use 1/2 the aqua mira mix for twice the time - that will probably do the trick - stomach imps are rarer than lymes disease - be more concerned about ticks than about the water

sbhikes
03-21-2011, 22:05
Did you actually use the fork?

Fog Horn
03-21-2011, 22:21
Please don't cut weight by packing only one pair of socks!! Your feet are the most important thing on a thru hike, and you need to make sure you keep them as clean and dry as possible. At least take two pairs so one can try to dry while you wear the other one.

Papa D
03-21-2011, 22:22
yep - I agree with Fog Horn there - 2 pairs of socks are good

Croft
03-21-2011, 22:36
Here's a few suggestions:
I found a Lafuma 20 degree down bag at REI last year for $130. It weighed 32 oz. and compressed smaller than a synthetic would (so you won't need so many cubic inches to accommodate it in your smaller pack.
Steripen for water treatment at 5.2 oz. including batteries. ($79) (3 days of iodine tablets as backup but I had good luck with my Steripen and only needed them once when my batteries died and I was still a couple days from resupply.)
CCF pad from WalMart $15, or for comfort a ThermaRest Neo (about $130) at 13 oz.
Steripen and Neo prices above are retail. I bought mine for less when they were on sale.
Good luck!

skinewmexico
03-21-2011, 23:06
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__productID=POE1035

WaitingInTheWeeds
03-21-2011, 23:21
Thanks everyone for your input. I’ll address each.

Tent – Obviously a place where I can lose some serious poundage. Saw a recommendation for the Tarptent Contrail. Any other recommendations for similar setups that are less than $200 and less than 2lbs?

Sleeping Pad – Will definitely switch out for a lighter closed cell pad.

Stove – Can’t switch out b/c I can’t return it. I’ve made my peace w/ it and like the ease of use anyway.

GSI Soloist – Can’t return it (ebay purchase) *Please note that the weight I listed was for the pot, the cup, the lid, the stuff sack, the stove itself, the utensils (yes I used the fork and the spoon and I hate sporks), 1 cansister of fuel, a bic lighter, and a P38.

Trowel – If you insist, consider it gone.

Water Filter – Still a bit up in the air. I guess I want to keep it b/c this weekend I had to get water out of a not so nice looking creek. I guess I just don’t really know what to expect as far as water clarity on the AT. I’m not worried so much about waterborne diseases and such as I am about getting bits of dirt, leaves, other particles, or drinking water that’s just plain ol not very clear. More info to enlighten me would help I think.

Base layer top – Thanks for the suggestion Papa D, but since I’m already eliminating 1 fleece; I think I’ll keep this layer at least to start with. I may not need it while hiking, but at night it could come in handy. I’ll probably send it home at some point in time.

Socks – To be clear, this weekend I wore one pair and packed 2 additional pairs. I was thinking of just wearing one and packing one. Are you saying I should stick to 3 pairs total then?

Toilet/First Aid kit. – As it stands right now it weighs ~1lb 9oz (please ignore the weight listed earlier as my scale was a bit off the first time) and contains the following:
-Pack towel (thanks papa d; it was in there before, but I forgot to write it down)
-Pepper spray (for personal security – it has to go sorry to all you ultra-light people out there, but I have my reasons and don’t really wish to bring them all up in this thread)
-100% deet bug spray
-Contact solution
-Hand sanitizer (travel size)
-Extra contacts
-Travel size toothpaste
-Toothbrush
-Blistex
-Rewetting drops
-Contact lens case
-Ear plugs
-Swiss army knife
-Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Pepto (and no not the whole bottle, just a few of each)
-Tweezers
-Afterbite
-Small roll of gauze
-Eyeglass screwdriver (Now removed as I just realized that my knife will fit the screw just fine)
-2 Safety pins
-A few bandaids of different sizes
-Waterproof matches
-Latex gloves
-Steri-strips
-A bit of moleskin

That weight does not include TP (but seriously TP is pretty light to begin with and it will get lighter each day anyway!)

I also forgot to include in my original list that I will be bringing 50ft of 550 cord, a pack cover (thanks again for reminding me to write it down Papa D), my regular glasses in a hard case, and a pair of sunglasses (yes I realize I’ll be under the trees most of the time, but for those times that I am not, my eyes are very sensitive to light and it would be very unpleasant not to have them. For those of you who are sensitive to light you know what I am talking about).

paintballswimguy
03-22-2011, 01:40
Thanks everyone for your input. I’ll address each.

Tent – Obviously a place where I can lose some serious poundage. Saw a recommendation for the Tarptent Contrail. Any other recommendations for similar setups that are less than $200 and less than 2lbs?

Sleeping Pad – Will definitely switch out for a lighter closed cell pad.

Stove – Can’t switch out b/c I can’t return it. I’ve made my peace w/ it and like the ease of use anyway.

GSI Soloist – Can’t return it (ebay purchase) *Please note that the weight I listed was for the pot, the cup, the lid, the stuff sack, the stove itself, the utensils (yes I used the fork and the spoon and I hate sporks), 1 cansister of fuel, a bic lighter, and a P38.

Trowel – If you insist, consider it gone.

Water Filter – Still a bit up in the air. I guess I want to keep it b/c this weekend I had to get water out of a not so nice looking creek. I guess I just don’t really know what to expect as far as water clarity on the AT. I’m not worried so much about waterborne diseases and such as I am about getting bits of dirt, leaves, other particles, or drinking water that’s just plain ol not very clear. More info to enlighten me would help I think.

Base layer top – Thanks for the suggestion Papa D, but since I’m already eliminating 1 fleece; I think I’ll keep this layer at least to start with. I may not need it while hiking, but at night it could come in handy. I’ll probably send it home at some point in time.

Socks – To be clear, this weekend I wore one pair and packed 2 additional pairs. I was thinking of just wearing one and packing one. Are you saying I should stick to 3 pairs total then?

Toilet/First Aid kit. – As it stands right now it weighs ~1lb 9oz (please ignore the weight listed earlier as my scale was a bit off the first time) and contains the following:
-Pack towel (thanks papa d; it was in there before, but I forgot to write it down)
-Pepper spray (for personal security – it has to go sorry to all you ultra-light people out there, but I have my reasons and don’t really wish to bring them all up in this thread)
-100% deet bug spray
-Contact solution
-Hand sanitizer (travel size)
-Extra contacts
-Travel size toothpaste
-Toothbrush
-Blistex
-Rewetting drops
-Contact lens case
-Ear plugs
-Swiss army knife
-Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Pepto (and no not the whole bottle, just a few of each)
-Tweezers
-Afterbite
-Small roll of gauze
-Eyeglass screwdriver (Now removed as I just realized that my knife will fit the screw just fine)
-2 Safety pins
-A few bandaids of different sizes
-Waterproof matches
-Latex gloves
-Steri-strips
-A bit of moleskin

That weight does not include TP (but seriously TP is pretty light to begin with and it will get lighter each day anyway!)

I also forgot to include in my original list that I will be bringing 50ft of 550 cord, a pack cover (thanks again for reminding me to write it down Papa D), my regular glasses in a hard case, and a pair of sunglasses (yes I realize I’ll be under the trees most of the time, but for those times that I am not, my eyes are very sensitive to light and it would be very unpleasant not to have them. For those of you who are sensitive to light you know what I am talking about).

You need to buy a real scale and not use your bathroom scale, It needs to be able to read to the .1 ounces. The little things are what is killing your pac weight.

****You should wear normal glasses, It would allow you to ditch all of your contact stuff. Along with not having to worry about keeping your contacts clean and fresh.
****Are the latex gloves for your first aid kit? In an emergency you will probably have them barried so far in your pack you may not grab them...
****Ditch the water filter ASAP. Your not using a purifier anyways, so its not really providing you any additional protection over what aquamira or polar pure would. I have a sweetwater purifier, so i understand your reluctance, but trust me. You aren't going to want it in the long term.
****Does your swiss army knife have twizzers? If so, don't bring two sets.
****Cut your toothbrush handle in half
****Get a small bottle to put bug spray in, you don't need to carry the full size bottle
****Is your pepper spray at least the smallest lightest version you can find?
****Take the cardboard role out of the TP. It will make it lighter.
****Your better off using Camp Soap then hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer doesn't actually kill all bacteria believe it or not.
****Socks, you want one pair on your feet. The second pair in your pack. You can also use the second pair as gloves if need be.
****get a bic mini lighter, they weigh less

wyclif
03-22-2011, 05:01
Looking at your list, the main things that jumped out at me that will save you weight are the tarptent and the alcohol stove-- those are essential things that you will be glad you have later and replace much heavier, less useful options.

Take 3 pairs of socks if you must, but you can do with two (tip: get black smartwool socks, or as dark and as long as you can get. They will dry faster in the sun and you can clip or tie the extra pair on the outside of your pack to dry them as well).

wyclif
03-22-2011, 05:01
Looking at your list, the main things that jumped out at me that will save you weight are the tarptent and the alcohol stove-- those are essential things that you will be glad you have later and replace much heavier, less useful options.

Take 3 pairs of socks if you must, but you can do with two (tip: get black smartwool socks, or as dark and as long as you can get. They will dry faster in the sun and you can clip or tie the extra pair on the outside of your pack to dry them as well).

wyclif
03-22-2011, 05:09
Socks become much more important when hiking than in normal life. The status of how dry your feet are compared to the dryness level of your extra socks will be always before you.

I also agree 100% with the hiker who said to cut your toothbrush handle down and wrap your floss around your lighter and some needles, or your knife handle. No need for the little floss box; that just takes up space. Don't carry copies of topo maps or the AT Book with you the entire hike-- make copies of sections and put them in your mail drops. Fold up the ones you need.

Rocket Jones
03-22-2011, 06:18
Sounds like a good trip and you gained some valuable experience. Reevaluate your gear, repack and go again. At this point, you really are just tweaking except for a couple of big items.

As suggested, try a hike with AquaMira instead of the filter. Try a hike with glasses instead of the contacts. And so on. You'll get comfortable with things, and more importantly you'll get comfortable *without* some things.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, I didn't see any kind of water bottles listed.

10-K
03-22-2011, 07:14
Keep in mind you can tweak your gear list forever.

Unless you physically can't handle it, when you get down to 30-32 lbs start hiking and let your own style dictate the changes you make to save weight.

You can go much (much) lighter than that or maybe you'll decide what you have is just right for you. Most likely you'll come in somewhere in the middle.

One other suggestion - when you go hiking make a note of anything you took but didn't use. Do it again the next hike, and the next. If you took something 3 times and didn't use it it's a likely candidate for staying home.

sixguns01
03-22-2011, 07:34

Ok so I got back yesterday from a 2-day hike in the Desoto National forest and the trip taught me a lot about my gear; mainly that it is way too heavy. (I'll be posting more on the trip in another thread). I know everyone here has seen a thousand threads like this before, but hey one more won't hurt right!? Besides I really do need some help getting the weight down.
I don't have an exact weight w/ food and water, but I'm pretty sure that w/ food and water the total weight was around 37-38 pounds. Obviously that is way too heavy and I'm now shooting for less that 25 pounds w/ food and water included.
Here is the list of items that I took along w/ notations of what I already know can be removed, what cannot, and what I need help replacing w/ something lighter. This list is for pack weight only, not what I will be wearing on a normal day. I will be bringing 2 trekking poles which are also not included in the list.

Pack
- I couldn't take my Go-lite Jam (~1lb 10oz) pack w/ me because my gear simply didn't fit. I made due w/ a Coleman Elate 65L pack from Wally World because I didn't want to cancel my trip. This pack is junk, too heavy, and is going back to Wally World today. I have to say I did like the top lid for storage and the load lifters helped (I think).
Question is, should I stick w/ the Jam (assuming I can get the weight/bulk down) or go w/ something like the Rei Flash 65 which has the top lid and load lifters, but weighs less than the Coleman? Bear in mind that I'm willing to shell out a little more money if needed, but the budget is still tight and I don't know if I can find another great deal like I did on the jam ($50 on clearance).

Shelter
- Don't get me wrong, for the money this a great tent w/ plenty of room and easy set up. However, after the trip I felt like I didn't really need this 2 person "castle" and would like to go w/ something much lighter and smaller. (No hammocks). I was thinking maybe a tarptent or something similar? Recomendations? (Something less that 200 bucks would be best).

Sleeping
- Worked great and I doubt I'll find anything lighter without severly blowing the budget. Open to suggestions though.

- Was comfy, but I'm thinking I can save some weight here by going w/ a closed cell pad. Suggestions?

Camp Pillow ($?) ~6.5oz
- Hey look I just saved 6.5 oz cause this item is NOT going w/ me. I tried it and didn't like it at all.

Clothing (sorry don't have weights for most of these cause my bathroom scale won't register them)
- Don't think I can get much lighter here when I comes to a wind/water resistant warm jacket.

- Already had this, don't want to spend money on something else that might save a few ounces.

- Will save a few ounces here cause I don't think I'll need them. However I don't know if just my normal pair of hiking pants will cut it on really cold days. Suggestions?

Fleece Hat

1 Target C9 DuoDry T-Shirt

2 Pairs Smartwool Socks

1 Pair C9 Underwear
- I wore a pair and packed a pair on the Desoto trip. I will only bring 1 pair to wear on the AT and only then on cooler days or to sleep in. Went "commando" (sorry probably TMI) for the 1st time in Desoto and preferred it w/ the warm weather (80 degrees).

- Gonna save about 13 oz here cause I think it is overkill and will NOT be bringing it.

1 Pair of Gym Shorts

Dri Duck Rain Jacket
- Don't think I could get much lighter w/o sacrifcing durability.

Other
- Will definately be bringing this. I know I could save weight by going w/ chemicals, but I don't think I could give up the benifits of having a filter.

- Worked great. Couldn't really save any weight unless I went titanium which is out of my budget.

NoLimits Canister Stove W/ Plastic Fork, Spoon, and 1 4oz Canister (See above for weight)
- Worked great. Found that I really like the ease of freezer bag cooking. Even if there are lighter alternitives (alcohol stoves for example), I've already used this item and can't return it now so I guess I'm stuck w/ it (which isn't neccesarily a bad thing).

- Nuff said

Roll of TP
- Nuff said

Electronics ~1lb 6oz
- Camera (may replace with a new camera that uses batteries, eliminating the heavy charger)
- Cell phone w/ charger
- Headlamp
- Sansa Clip Mp3 player w/ charger & headphones (very light weight, probably wouldn't notice the difference if I didn't bring it)

- Will save ~6oz by leaving out some uneccesary 1st aid items, camp soap, deodarent stick, and sunscreen. Was thinking of leaving out the bug spray to save a few more ounces. I already have a head net (which is lighter). What do you think?

- Will save an ounce or 2 as I broke up the Companion into even smaller sections.

Food bag
- Gonna save a couple ounces by switching to a sil-nylon bag instead of the plastic thing I have now.

I think thats about it. I've already removed aproximately 2lbs 4oz as listed from my comments above. I will save another 2lbs 6oz if I go with my Go-lite Jam. That would get me down to roughly 32.5lbs with food and water, but it looks like I still need to cut 7.5lbs to get down to my 25lb goal. I might be able to shave off a pound by packing lighter food, but not really sure about that. Let the comments begin; and thank you all for your help.

I went through this last year. First and foremost check out Backpackinglight.com. Great ideas and gear reviews. Also their Gear Swap Forum is par none. It's like the selling/buying sections here but on major steroids. I picked up a Gossamer Gear The One tent (1lb) for $125 when they go for $300.

Pack- Go with the Jam. Cut all the other weight and the Jam is perfect. The Jam and Pinnacle are my bags

Shelter- Way too heavy. Should be around 2lbs not over 4lbs. Even looking for a cheap alternative is good to go. Kelty make some really light ones as well. Check out some tarptents.

First Aid kit- Mine used to be huge. Planned for every scenario. I slowly moved to the Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight / Watertight .3 First-Aid Kit at REI. $9. I added my own meds and such but it only weighs 4oz. That was hard to do since I feared the worse but it was a move I did not regret. Yet.

Sleeping Mat- Over 2lbs is too heavy for a mat. Search around. You can find air mats and foam mats that are the same price and half the weight. I use the Z-Rest; weighs 13oz. Can even cut it down to 3/4 length for more eight savings if you like. Pacific Outdoors and Nemo make air mats under 1lb for around $80 as well.

Water Purification- I have the same pump but haven';t used it in over a year. I switched to tablets. Almost a pound gone just by doing that. I also carry some powered drinks, so if the taste doesn't agree with you, mask it.

Stove/Pots- I switched to Alcohol sometime ago. Loved my Jetboil but time moves on. I picked up the Trail Designs Caldera Keg-H system; the Jetboil of alcohol stoves. Stove, caldera cone, and Heineken Keg can all weigh a total of 4oz. Easy and durable and can use esbit if you want. Only good for heating water for Freezer Bag or Insulated Cup cooking. Also, fuel is light and easy to find for it. No canisters.

Check out Zpacks and MountainFitters.com for some super light stuff bags. made of cuden fiber. Also some decent deals as well. Both Joe and Lawson are great with awesome customer service.

I sold all my old heavier gear on eBay and used the cash to buy lighter gear over the last two years. I started with a 40lb pack fully loaded for a weekend trip. Now I'm at 17lbs with some luxury items.

Again, if you really want some awesome info, you have to check out Backpackinglight.com. You'll find some excellent advice on cutting ounces. hell, even cutting grams but that's a bit much. The Gear Swap forum and they have a forum where people post gear deals found on the web. By the way, it's free and easy to sign up to be a guest.

Hope this helps.

Skid.
03-22-2011, 09:32
You didn't mention how you carry your water, so I assume a camelbak, or something similar? If not, you can replace any nalgene bottles with Platypus bags. I saved 12 ounces doing that alone.

WaitingInTheWeeds
03-22-2011, 11:32
Thanks again everyone. Based on your advice here are the changes I will definately make and others explaining why I cannot or don't want to change.

Water Filter - Adios! (see I'm flexible :D)

Tent and Sleep Pad - Already discussed, probably gonna go w/ a tarptent moment or contrail and a lightweight closed cell pad

Contacts - Sorry, but these are a must bring. My glasses are my old prescription and as such are only suitable for wearing at night when I take my contacts out. I won't be able to afford a new pair with the other gear that I have to replace. Besides glasses have their downside too. They can break, they get sweaty and slide down your nose, they are tough to keep clean, etc...

Stove - If the budget allows, I'll look into the alcohol stove option but as I mentioned I can't return my current setup so there would be no way to defray the cost.

Stuff sacks - Could use a lighter one for my food. I'll look around for the best deals. Question is, what size should i get??

1st aid kit - I think I've got it down as far as I am comfortable with. If I feel like I need to change it more on the trail then I will do so.

Bug spray - Note taken on the smaller bottle.

Toothbrush - will cut it down a bit.

TP - We are really splitting hairs here, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to remove the cardboard

Lighter - Good idea on getting the mini bic - never thought of that

Needle and floss - Doh! I didn't even think to bring a needle, but I can see how it could come in handy. Will definately bring a needle and wrap some floss around it.

Finally should I bring the camp soap, the hand sanitizer, or both?

WaitingInTheWeeds
03-22-2011, 11:36
Oh yeah, I forgot. As far as water containers go, I took 2 1 liter powerade bottles w/ me. I think though I'm gonna go w/ a bladder of some kind though because I hated having to stop just to get a drink (I carry 2 poles and so I don't really have a free hand, plus it can be hard to contort your arm around to reach the water bottles). I think I'll probably keep about a liter in the bladder and the other liter in 1 powerade bottle.

theeulogy
03-22-2011, 11:55
If the Golite Jam will absolutely not work then just move it on Ebay. I got them from the clearence also and did not know what size I needs, so I got both sizes. I am selling the medium cause it did not fit. You should come out ahead at least. But I would recommend finding a way to make it work, its a bit bigger than it looks.

berninbush
03-22-2011, 14:23
I know money's an issue, but you might seriously consider saving up and doing Lasik if you're a candidate. I did it when I was 28 years old, even though it meant borrowing $3,000 from my parents, and it was the best thing I EVER did for myself. (I've even paid my parents back already.) Beyond all the weight, time, and aggravation you save yourself when hiking, it vastly improves your day to day life when you can wake up in the morning and read the alarm clock without having to reach for your glasses. No more getting a piece of grit in your contacts and being in stinging pain for several minutes, oblivious to the world around you. No more walking outside on a humid day and having your glasses totally fog over. You also save money by not having to buy new glasses, contacts, and contact supplies.

I chose to do it at age 28 because I reasoned that should give me at least 12 good years of vision before I started needing reading glasses!

Creek Dancer
03-22-2011, 14:43
Stuff sacks - Could use a lighter one for my food. I'll look around for the best deals. Question is, what size should i get??

Wal Mart sells a set of 3 waterproof stuff sacks for about 10 dollars. I think they are made by Outdoor Research, but I am not sure. They come in 3 colors, each a different size. I use one for clothing (big), one for food (medium) and one for sundries (small). When you close the top of the sack, you end up with "ring" of sorts which is helpful for hanging up your food bag.

TheYoungOne
03-22-2011, 15:18
If you had a smaller tent, pot and sleeping pad do you think you could fit everything into the Go-lite bag?

Get a Ti cook set, something like a Big Agnes Pad, and a Seedhouse SL2 and you saved 3 to 4 pounds and a lot of space, which means you can drop down into the Go-lite pack and save an additional 3 pounds.

WaitingInTheWeeds
03-25-2011, 20:21
Man, it feels like I'm starting all over again when it comes to my gear list. It's frustrating because my "go" date is in 3 weeks.

I was able to get a lighter sleeping pad today - a ridgerest so-lite...so that saved some weight right there.

I also got a lighter sack for my food bag

I think I've narrowed down my tent choices to the tarptent moment or contrail (leaning towards the moment for the "no obstruction" entry)

At this point, what I need the most help w/ is choosing a new pack. After loading up the Jam; I decided it just wasn't gonna work for me. I felt like it didn't have enough shoulder padding; and I think an internal frame pack will suit me better.

The problem is that with only 3 weeks left, I can realistically order only 1 more pack online (plus I don't want to pay return shipping anymore). I wish I had a store near me where I could try on packs, but there just isn't one so online is my only option. So I am asking for the best possible options for me when it comes to selecting a new pack. Here are my requirements:

-Price - Less than $200.
-Weight - Less than 4lbs
-Size - I felt like the jam was just a bit too small so maybe something in the 55-60 Liter range
-Padding - Average amount of padding (Go-lite's padding is too thin for my taste)
-Pockets - A sleeping bag compartment would be awesome. I also want at least one pocket on the hip belt for snacks.
-Internal Frame = Yes
-Hydration Compatible = Yes
-Load lifters = Yes

If it helps I am 5' 7" 105lbs (yes, very skinny w/ bony hips/shoulders)

As I said this will likely be the last pack I order so I have to make it count. Thanks for all your help.

WaitingInTheWeeds
03-25-2011, 23:00
Sorry for re-posting in my own thread so soon (hope no-one comes after me w/ pitchforks and torches), but I was cruising the net looking at packs and stumbled across this one

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/packs/internal-frame-packs/orizaba-3900 (http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/packs/internal-frame-packs/orizaba-3900)

Has anyone had experience w/ this pack or other packs from this company? Do you think this would fit the bill for my requirements listed above?

Wags
03-25-2011, 23:12
here's a lunar solo for $175
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44894

lori
03-25-2011, 23:32
Have you looked at Granite Gear? Very adjustable and often found on sale.

If you don't go with the tarptent, would you consider a tarp/groundcloth?

Have you tried sleeping on the z-lite yet? If it doesn't work for you (oh, it so did not work for me!) are you going to look for something else? If you do, check out the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core or the NeoAir - these are likely the cheapest and lightest comfort that will also keep you warm. Don't discount a good night's sleep... drove me to NeoAir and hammocks.

Water filter or not to... I have a gravity filter. It doubles as a shower. That's an awesome thing when your hair starts to show the patterns of the inside of your knit cap. Maybe not such a big deal when you can bail off trail for a shower every few days, but out here it's kind of nice to hang water in the sun and have a bit of warm water to wash under. Gravity filters that are a nylon bag and filter cartridge weigh less than the plastic housing/cartridge models. Mine uses a platypus instead of the type of filter you can't backflush... because I can backflush it and use it a lot longer. Works great with my platypus containers.

Wil
03-25-2011, 23:49
Stove - If the budget allows, I'll look into the alcohol stove option but as I mentioned I can't return my current setup so there would be no way to defray the cost.Not much cost for a cat stove. If you know someone who uses Fancy Feast cat food, and have access to a paper punch, you're in business for free, with no construction skills required. Windscreen can simply be from heavy duty aluminum foil, though a discardable aluminum baking pan would be raw material for a better one and some aluminum flashing (real money here!) more durable.

This is not the world's greatest stove, but its deficiencies relative to more sophisticated designs are subtle and minor.

skinewmexico
03-26-2011, 01:36
Not much cost for a cat stove. If you know someone who uses Fancy Feast cat food, and have access to a paper punch, you're in business for free, with no construction skills required.

I kept waiting for someone to mention a cat stove. Works great, next to free. Or look for stoves by Zelph. Have you tried the Jam with your pad rolled up inside the pack, your gear stuck in the middle of the pad like a burrito, and the compression straps tight? It's really important to have those packs compressed to get weight transfer to your hips. Two things you can do to make the Jam transfer better - replace the foam in the back panel with a piece of blue CCF (from wallyworld), or borrow one of those yard signs made of coroplast, and cut it to fit in the backpanel. Otherwise, it's ULA Circuit time!

Wil
03-26-2011, 02:26
Or look for stoves by ZelphZelph is the stove god. He is more interested these days in wood than alcohol but still the man. But, as I said, the difference between the cat and state-of-the-art alcohol is subtle and minor.

MoonWalker
03-26-2011, 03:30
If you can make the trip to baton rouge, head over to the backpacker. They will help you find the the right fit suggest a few things and ask you to do your homework then come back if you want to buy one of theirs. You could probably even just call and ask for Ann or Allison (they did wonders for my outfitting experience), they might be able to tell you if they can fix you up.

Papa D
03-26-2011, 08:22
Everyone carries waterproof matches - I've backpacked thousands of miles and spent weeks in very remote wet cold wilderness areas, dunked my pack in creeks, etc., but have always managed to keep a lighter dry with just a zip-lock - I very seriously doubt that you need waterproof matches on the Appalachian Trail - you will have almost no nights unless you cowboy camp without at least a few others around - when you are alone, I bet you can keep the lighter dry - ditch 'em.

Papa D
03-26-2011, 08:25
I'll say it again - you are wasting good postage money taking that filter - it will be cross contaminated, clogged, and in a bag on a UPS truck within a week.

10-K
03-26-2011, 10:21
I'll say it again - you are wasting good postage money taking that filter - it will be cross contaminated, clogged, and in a bag on a UPS truck within a week.

I hiked for a few hours with a thru yesterday (No Plan) and he said more than once he'd be mailing his filter home... He switched to Aqua Mira and hadn't used the filter since Franklin.

Magilla
03-26-2011, 12:01
I have the gravity filter, katadyn base camp, I have section hiked the last couple years with it. I haven't had any problems with it and I like to fill it and set-up my water containers when I get to camp. Go about setting up while they fill. I just like the filter, but haven't tried Aqua Mira.

general
03-26-2011, 17:36
40 lbs ain't heavy

man up.

tammons
03-26-2011, 18:04
#1 cut down on the bulk and leave some of that stuff at home.

I have one overnight setup that I can fit in a fanny pack.

Best rules to follow IMO to trim down are....

Buy a scale obviously.
Weigh everything you have.
Build a spreadsheet and use the 6# and 6# or under rule for a 12# 3 season base weight. Better yet if you have some extra $, buy a down quilt and some cuben go even lower and try to double purpose equipment.

6# for the big 4 and 6# for everything else and dont buy anything that does not fit
into your goal. Sell everything else.

12# is not too bad.

8# is a LOT better safe and a good bit more expensive depending.

With an 8# base, if you can get by on 1.5#of food a day you will be at roughly 19.5# fully loaded for 5 days.

tammons
03-26-2011, 18:06
Meant to say with food plus 2 L of H20 puts you at 19.5#

WaitingInTheWeeds
03-26-2011, 20:18
If you can make the trip to baton rouge, head over to the backpacker. They will help you find the the right fit suggest a few things and ask you to do your homework then come back if you want to buy one of theirs. You could probably even just call and ask for Ann or Allison (they did wonders for my outfitting experience), they might be able to tell you if they can fix you up.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I won't have enough time off to make a trip to baton rouge; plus I'd rather use the gas money towards different gear.

Papa D:
I think you missed my post earlier that said I was removing the water filter. No harm done though.

Lori:
Thanks for the tip on the Granite Gear packs. I looked around at the website and they seem to be at the top of my price range; I was hoping to get something a bit cheaper if possible.

I see no-one has commented on the alpsmountaineering pack I linked to. Anyone know more about this pack? Any more recomendations for packs meeting my requirements? I would like to order a new pack tommrrow since it is my day off.

*Update - I did order the Tarptent Moment last night. Should help me a ton w/ this whole weight issue.

Papa D
03-26-2011, 20:43
oh yeah - now I see your post about the filter - ok - hey, you're doing really good. Stuff-Sacks: I use 1 a 13 liter dry stuff sack for my winter bag and an 8 liter one for my summer bag - and stash of dry clothes (long underwear bottoms, socks, dry socks, and silky t-shirt) -in winter, my down jacket gets in a 6 liter dry - these are "sea to summit" brand. I use a sea to summit (non -dry) but just water-proof sack with a cinch and strap for hanging as my food bag - it also doubles as a grocery bag.

tuswm
03-26-2011, 22:07
I took a look at your thread

If I was in the market for a single tent I would go with the TT moment. I have the TT DR but I am on granite slabs a lot n wanted free standing. I will say that I am not a fan of the Tyvek foot print that you can get with the TTs. I am going to try polycro (sp?) its the window shrink wrap. I just picked up enough for 4 tents at Home Depot for 5 bucks.

CCF pad are great when you are in your tent but they suck on shelter floors. esp if u r a side sleeper.

I agree you are not going to gain much by dumping $$ in to a new sleeping bag

I use the GSI dualist with the GF and like it more every time I use it.

I dont want to give advice about back packs I have not tried so I can not comment on the others but my brother has the REI flash 65 and they have a 20% off coupon right now. Its a nice pack. its lighter and more comfortable and carried more and is cheaper than my Osprey Atmos 65. But mine is the old version.

harryfred
03-27-2011, 09:22

Pack

Shelter
- Don't get me wrong, for the money this a great tent w/ plenty of room and easy set up. However, after the trip I felt like I didn't really need this 2 person "castle" and would like to go w/ something much lighter and smaller. (No hammocks). I was thinking maybe a tarptent or something similar? Recommendations? (Something less that 200 bucks would be best).

Sleeping
- Worked great and I doubt I'll find anything lighter without severely blowing the budget. Open to suggestions though.

Camp Pillow ($?) ~6.5oz

Fleece Hat

1 Target C9 Duo Dry T-Shirt

2 Pairs Smartwool Socks

1 Pair C9 Underwear

1 Pair of Gym Shorts

Dri Duck Rain Jacket
- Don't think I could get much lighter w/o sacrificing durability.

Other
- Will definitely be bringing this. I know I could save weight by going w/ chemicals, but I don't think I could give up the benefits of having a filter.

- Worked great. Found that I really like the ease of freezer bag cooking. Even if there are lighter alternatives (alcohol stoves for example), I've already used this item and can't return it now so I guess I'm stuck w/ it (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

- Nuff said

Roll of TP
- Nuff said

Electronics ~1lb 6oz
- Cell phone w/ charger
- Headlamp

- Will save ~6oz by leaving out some unnecessary 1st aid items, camp soap, deodorant stick, and sunscreen. Was thinking of leaving out the bug spray to save a few more ounces. I already have a head net (which is lighter). What do you think?

Food bag
- Gonna save a couple ounces by switching to a silnylon bag instead of the plastic thing I have now.

I think that's about it. I've already removed approximately 2lbs 4oz as listed from my comments above. I will save another 2lbs 6oz if I go with my Go-lite Jam. That would get me down to roughly 32.5lbs with food and water, but it looks like I still need to cut 7.5lbs to get down to my 25lb goal. I might be able to shave off a pound by packing lighter food, but not really sure about that. Let the comments begin; and thank you all for your help.
My thoughts and I am a section hiker.
If you can get a cell phone that takes pictures, stores music and pods, has FM radio dump all the rest. this is where I am heading It is getting easier and easier every day to keep a cell phone charged on not just the AT but other trails.
Contacts are no good on the trail they are a source of infection. Those and "spider bites" are IMHO the major reason for failed thru hiking after the "wow This Is F***** tough the first few miles. Note I live at the middle of the trail.Get a set of wrap around single vision transition glasses carry a spare pair in a hard protective case and if you wear bifocals as I do carry those. if you can do not wear bifocals walking.
Hand sanitizer is your BEST friend.
Don't skimp too much on first aid as mentioned infection has stopped many a thru hike. Don't get carry away though either.
I carry as a minimum three pairs if socks one to wear, one to wash and carry on the back of my pack to dry and a pair of ridiculously thick wool socks to sleep in. If I were to do a thru hike I'd carry at least five :eek: pair.
I use bleach to treat my water. Usually I do not treat, I want a filter because I have encountered way too many "mud holes I have had to use for a water source.That all said dump the filter use Aquamira and strain the floaters/grit though a bandanna.
I have used homemade alcohol stoves for years They are only lighter for five days after that the canister looks like a better deal. I just recently got a Cruix and I love it. Most thru hikers after the first couple of hundred miles only want to boil water dump in food and eat if they do that much I am seeing a lot of, no stove, no meat hikers. alkys are great if you just want to boil and alcohol is available cheap at least every five days on the AT.
You can dump the trowel the heal or hiking pole thing will not work for six inches. but what will is to pull up a rock or log that is half buried do your business replace rock cover with forest debris leave a X with sticks over it and the rest of us will know what is under that rock:D
I carry a pair of swim trunks and a old cotton shirt for the same reason you do laundry and sleeping
A good fleece/wool hat is a must use it as a cosy for cooking and to sleep in Suggest a balaklava to hike in. Hate cold wind.
I hike with the same pack as you do and I love it even though it is heavy. My base weight is around 28 lbs add food and water for five days I'm at 35 lbs. I'm good Go much over that I would go with an external frame pack.

Rocketman
03-27-2011, 11:14
Stuff Sacks

It is a good idea to NOT stuff full a stuff sack. If you do, it becomes rigid like a rock, not heavy, but rigid. If you have a bunch of rigid blocks in your pack, they won't pack efficiently -- there will be space in between them.

If the stuff sacks are partly filled and are "floppy", then they can flow or bend around any other fairly rigid items in the pack, and there isn't much wasted internal space.

Some people refuse to use compression sacks for sleeping bags because these make a good sized rigid chunk inside the pack - leading to wasted space.

In the extreme, if you have a lot of relatively rigid objects inside the pack, you will see a lumpy texture in the pack fabric, indicating a likely poor packing of the interior components.

One of these days, I will actually follow the first law of backpack purchasing...... don't buy the pack until you have bought virtually all of the equipment, and you can see if it fits.

I understand that it is now very late to help you do a good job in preparing.

But think of the ways to actually fit more stuff inside the pack volume by not having a lot of "rigid" building blocks scattered here and there inside the backpack bag.

I made the mistake of buying a Granite Gear bag based upon the popularity of it among AT thru hikers. I hadn't refined my equipment and skills sufficiently to fit the stuff inside the new bag, and used my old external frame Kelty Tioga.

By the next year, having bought a scale and having taken notes on what I did and didn't use, I was able to fit everything (including new stuff) into the the new Granite Gear bag, and was really happy to hike with a smaller and lighter volume of "stuff".

I made a lot of lightweight silnylon stuff sacks for organizing, and they were all only "floppy" filled, and packed efficiently with no lumps.

However, I am still unhappy with the need to root through a giant backpack for small items, and have gotten some small hipbelt and shoulder strap organizers.

Good luck with the short time you have left.

Carry money and you can buy things along the way at Neels Gap, Franklin NC, Nantahila Outdoor Center, Gatlinburg, Hot Springs and Erwin. And more further North.At Standing Bear Farm, you might be able to get a ride into town to shop at WalMart.

STICK
03-27-2011, 11:18
For a pack, just get the ULA Circuit. $200

STICK
03-27-2011, 11:27
There are also a few different ULA Catalyst for sell over in the Sellin Used Gear section. Both medium packs, one with a med hip belt, and the other with a choice of small or large. One for $185, the other marked down to $165 (I think).

I agree with the DIY alky stoves. Or if you would like pick up a White Box Stove for $20, with windscreen, heat reflector and a 4 oz fuel bottle.

The DIY silnylon stuff sacks are a great way to go. Buy about 2 yards of sil (2nds) for aobut $12 or $13, a few yards of tiny cord to run through the tops and a few small cord locks. Maybe $25 at most, plus a little of your time. Now, go make as many as you want, whichever size you want.

Happy hiking!

WaitingInTheWeeds
03-27-2011, 11:50
Stuff Sacks

It is a good idea to NOT stuff full a stuff sack. If you do, it becomes rigid like a rock, not heavy, but rigid. If you have a bunch of rigid blocks in your pack, they won't pack efficiently -- there will be space in between them.

One of these days, I will actually follow the first law of backpack purchasing...... don't buy the pack until you have bought virtually all of the equipment, and you can see if it fits.

Thanks for the packing tip. I ended up w/ the ridid blocks like your were talking about. Now that I've changed my gear around a bit I should be able to spread things out better and avoid this.

Harryfred
If you can get a cell phone that takes pictures, stores music and pods, has FM radio dump all the rest. this is where I am heading It is getting easier and easier every day to keep a cell phone charged on not just the AT but other trails.

I'd love to do that, but I am at the point now where after replacing 2 of my big 3 with more expensive gear (and paying for return shipping), the rest of my funds absolutely must be saved for the trip. Besides the cell phone I have is a really cheap, lightweight prepaid phone. It actually uses the same charger as the tiny mp3 player. If I were trying to go ultra-light then things might be different. I'll I'm trying to do though is get the weight down to a reasonable level; which I think after all the advice given I should be able to do now.

I bit the bullet last night and purchased a new pack after much web surfing/review reading. I'm crossing my fingers that this one is going to work out. I don't really have a choice in the matter so it kind of has to.

The pack I chose was the Osprey Kestrel 58 pack. At 3lbs 11oz I realize there are lighter alternatives out there (even made by Osprey); but I think this pack really fits the bill when it comes to all the things I was looking for in a pack. Plus many of the lighter alternatives would have blown the budget. I was able to find this pack at o2gearshop.com for $139.95 w/ an addtional $20 off as part of their spring sale. Considering this pack normally goes for about $175-$180; I think $119.95 (w/ free shipping) is a great deal.

tuswm
03-27-2011, 14:20
looks like a good deal. I think that should be plenty of room for 3 season hiking esp when you have the sleeping pad on the out side of your pack.

What are you doing about a tent?

tuswm
03-27-2011, 14:26
NM I see you ordered the TT moment.

Now that my TT has some wear on it I have noticed that if I set it up on wet ground by the morning the pressure of my body has forced water up through the floor. I thought that tyvek would be mroe water proof but its not. I am trying this. it was recommended to me by someone on here.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202262329/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
and you will have plenty left for spares that you can have mail dropped for you if you need it later. and 5 bucks. and you can fix holes with duck tape.