PDA

View Full Version : cannister fuel availability

Megapixel
03-21-2011, 20:29
Can anyone enlighten me as to the availability of canister fuel along the SIA/IAT at any or all parts from the US / Canadian border clear through to Crow Head, Newfoundland?

Thanks, planning a thru along with half the AT, 2011.

StubbleJumper
03-22-2011, 18:32
Haven't hiked the whole way, but you need to understand that much of the area is sparsely inhabited. You will find towns with small grocery stores and sometimes a hardware store, but not necessarily an outfitter. You would need to plan your re-supply points carefully to buy cannisters in the larger centres.

Megapixel
03-27-2011, 15:43
thanks man. i figured alcohol stove was the way to go. I'll confirm with a few other contacts... appreciate the headsup

leborg
04-05-2011, 16:45
Haven't hiked the whole way, but you need to understand that much of the area is sparsely inhabited. You will find towns with small grocery stores and sometimes a hardware store, but not necessarily an outfitter. You would need to plan your re-supply points carefully to buy cannisters in the larger centres.

Don't know about the New-Brunswick section, but in Quebec section, you will not find a real outfitter, except maybe in Matane, which is around 10 miles away from the trail and Gaspé ( at the very end). However, you will find fishing and hunting stores in Matapédia, Amqui and a basic grocery store in Parc national de la Gaspésie.

If you have a multi fuel stove, you should be fine. I can check the availability of canister fuel in Amqui if you want ( I live nearby).