PDA

View Full Version : AT Thru Hike Gear List Update (And some general thoughts)

STICK
03-21-2011, 20:50
I am planning my thru hike in 2013 (fingers crossed) so I have plenty of time to "educate" myself and to find what should work for me on the trail (although that is what I have been doing the last 2 years too since the AT is pretty much what drew me into this addiction...) I have been going back and forth trying to come up with what gear I will "need" on my thru based on quite a few different observations. Also, I have been struggling with using a word document to do so. Not that that is a bad thing, it is super easy to go in and change stuff on word, but then I am left having to do all the recalculations and that can sometimes be a headache. So, after trying to find a gear list on a spreadsheet that seems like it is something I was looking for I finally came up with one of my own, of course though I looked at quite a few while making mine... But the cool thing is that the formulas will now do the recalculations for me! I am also thinking about hyperlinking the items on the list, but that will have to take place one day when I have nothing else to do...

So, If I were to leave for a thru hike now, the gear I have on my list is what I believe would work for me. Although, there is some gear on there that I do not have yet (and thanks to all the stuff I can do with the Spreadsheet I have that sorted too...) So, of course there are a few items I need to acquire and see how it works for me, but it is not much (Ok, one is my tent and I will need to spend time with it, so that is all the reason to get it sooner...)

Also, this time of the year is the time of the year that gets a brain itchin' for their own thru, so during my deep thoughts I did a little write up on some general info about the trail and some of my own thoughts as well. Not much, but a way for me to get a little emotional... http://www.backpacker.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

So, if you don't mind check it out and let me know what you think.

AT Thru~Hike Gear List Update (http://sticksblog.com/trail-prep/at-thru-hike-gear-list-in-progress/)

Thanks

Trailbender
03-21-2011, 21:27
Use a 1oz bottle of bleach instead of Aquamira, I used bleach my whole thru with no issues. Dump the Mora and get a small swiss army knife. Moras are good, and light for a fixed blade, but you don't need it. A firesteel and lighter is fine, you don't need matches. You can use toilet paper and peanut butter or the germ x for a fire starter, and I have had issues with wetfire, it doesn't work well after a couple of months. Wear women's bikini panties, they are very comfortable, and weigh about 0.5 oz a pair, just get the synthetic ones, microfiber, they can stretch plenty.

You don't need gaiters. Use camp soap for toothpaste. Wrap dental floss and 3 needles around a bic lighter, it is stronger than thread.

That is about all I can think of for now.

Llama Legs
03-21-2011, 21:41
you're dialed in. go now!

STICK
03-21-2011, 22:00
Trailbender,

Thanks for the input!

Response...

You know I have heard a few people say that they used bleach, but I think I will stick with the Aqua Mira. I thought about rebottling it but I figure I will be using it rather quickly. Will keep that in mind though.

I have debated losing the Mora and just carrying my Gerber paraframe which weighs 2.5 oz, but it is a full size knife and I carry it with me everyday so I am quite comfy with it. However, I am considering getting one of the Baladeo Featherlight knives. That could make a great present sometime between now and then... Seriously though, I do like my Mora and while I know it is probably a little overkill, well, I do like it.

I have considered dumping one of my methods of fire starting since I do have 3, and if I do so the matches will probably get the boot of the three. But as light as they are, I am not too worried about it at the time.

I agree with you on the WetFire. I was not nearly impressed with it as I thought I would be, but for now since I paid for it it is in my kit until I use it. I will probably replace them with esbit tablets since I could also use it to cook over if needed.

The panties are funny... :)

I actually just ordered the gaiters. I have found myself wishing I had some gaiters just like these on a few hikes. I didn't want to carry my big heavy tall gaiters though so I didn't. Thankfully my boots were really waterproof though!

Noted on the Camp soap. Isn't the Dr Bronners able to be used for everything from washing your dishes to bathing to brushing your teeth?

The thread I am carrying is actually a silk thread that we use to sew with at the hospital. There are 10 individual threads 30" long, and they are quite strong. Plus I have a single straight needle packaged with it.

STICK
03-21-2011, 22:02
Llama legs,

I wish it were time...

Trailbender
03-21-2011, 23:56
Trailbender,

Thanks for the input!

Response...

You know I have heard a few people say that they used bleach, but I think I will stick with the Aqua Mira. I thought about rebottling it but I figure I will be using it rather quickly. Will keep that in mind though.

I used Aquamira before I used bleach, it is good.

I have debated losing the Mora and just carrying my Gerber paraframe which weighs 2.5 oz, but it is a full size knife and I carry it with me everyday so I am quite comfy with it. However, I am considering getting one of the Baladeo Featherlight knives. That could make a great present sometime between now and then... Seriously though, I do like my Mora and while I know it is probably a little overkill, well, I do like it.

I like my mora as well, I have the same exact knife. I have batoned with it and done tons of bushcrafting stuff. A very sturdy and well balanced knife. My favorite pocketknife is the Victorinox Cadet.

I have considered dumping one of my methods of fire starting since I do have 3, and if I do so the matches will probably get the boot of the three. But as light as they are, I am not too worried about it at the time.

I carried matches off and on, and never was able to justify them. My favorite is the Doan magnesium firestarter. They are issued to Air Force pilots. I started a fire in the smokies with it after two days of rain, ect. Granted, I have extensive firestarting practice and skills, though.

I agree with you on the WetFire. I was not nearly impressed with it as I thought I would be, but for now since I paid for it it is in my kit until I use it. I will probably replace them with esbit tablets since I could also use it to cook over if needed.

You will find birch bark up north, I built a fire in the Shenandoah park one night after 3 solid days of rain, with my magnesium firestarter, birch bark, and some paper. My favorite firestarting method is lay a thick layer of chunks of rotten wood at your base, they will smolder and make huge coals, when you blow on it, it gets intensely hot. That is one of my tricks for getting fires going in tough conditions.

The panties are funny... :)

Ahh, but nothing feels sexier than slipping into a clean pair of skintight panties at the end of a long day of hiking, then reading for a couple of hours. Just kidding, but the weight difference can't be overlooked, 1/5th the weight for the exact same purpose.

I actually just ordered the gaiters. I have found myself wishing I had some gaiters just like these on a few hikes. I didn't want to carry my big heavy tall gaiters though so I didn't. Thankfully my boots were really waterproof though!

No matter what anyone says, take it from me, you are gonna have wet feet on your thru, even with goretex, ect. Bring some foot powder.

Noted on the Camp soap. Isn't the Dr Bronners able to be used for everything from washing your dishes to bathing to brushing your teeth?

Yeah, I used the 2oz bottle of campsuds though. Tastes like liquid soap, about what you would expect. You get used to it.

The thread I am carrying is actually a silk thread that we use to sew with at the hospital. There are 10 individual threads 30" long, and they are quite strong. Plus I have a single straight needle packaged with it.

That is strong stuff as well, dental floss is commonly available though. I lost count of the time I sewed people's packstraps and various other stuff back together.

Replies in bold.

hike500
03-22-2011, 01:27
Wear women's bikini panties, they are very comfortable, and weigh about 0.5 oz a pair, just get the synthetic ones, microfiber, they can stretch plenty.

Stick, go with the thongs and save even more weight! Just kidding bud, don't do it. If the guys over at Backpacker knew you wore those they would never let you live it down!

Trailbender
03-22-2011, 08:16
Wear women's bikini panties, they are very comfortable, and weigh about 0.5 oz a pair, just get the synthetic ones, microfiber, they can stretch plenty.

Stick, go with the thongs and save even more weight! Just kidding bud, don't do it. If the guys over at Backpacker knew you wore those they would never let you live it down!

The thong doesn't work, you can't take a crap in them.

STICK
03-22-2011, 20:33
The thong doesn't work, you can't take a crap in them.

but the thong could serve as emergency rope...that makes it multiuse...

Sierra Echo
03-22-2011, 20:37

You could use it as a slingshot too!

Snowleopard
03-22-2011, 21:35
Does your sleeping gear weights add up right? Maybe I'm not looking at it right.

You might want to have some warm clothing with you in the southern mountains. You will definitely need some (all?) of your warm gear in the White Mts in NH, and in a cold summer, for most of new england.

It looks well thought out to me.

STICK
03-22-2011, 22:09
Thanks Snowleopard.

Yes, I just checked the weights and they are right. The way I have it sorted is by what I will always carry with me, what I will add to that in colder weather and then the same for warmer weather. Also, If i feel like I need something a little warmer than my Helium I will have my summer quilt sent to me which should be more than enough.

I am looking at hiking out at or near the beginning of March. Sooner is not an option since my 3 year anniversary will be Feb 27th so I obviously cannot miss that. So I know that I will need to start off with all of my cold weather gear. One thing I am really throwing around is trading my MontBll Ul Down Inner for the UL Down Parka. The hood should add just a little extra warmth. Then again, I may hang onto the UL Down Inner and then if I need to "upgrade" I can do so at Mountain Crossings to something like the MB Alpine Light down parka. I honestly wouldn't mind having both for a little variation but right now I cannot justify it.

Wags
03-23-2011, 21:58
i may have missed some piece of information, but why are you carrying a down quilt and the marmot bag?

hikingshoes
03-23-2011, 22:17
Sorry,Brother No hiking together anymore!!!LOL...HS

STICK
03-23-2011, 22:46
Wags, I am not carrying them together. I am carrying them separately, but if for some reason the Marmot doesn't seem to be cutting it for me (which I have used it and been good into the single digits so not too worried there...) then I could have my Summer quilt sent to me to use with the Marmot. It would take up hardly no extra room or weight.

STICK
03-23-2011, 22:47
Oh, and hikingshoes, it's ok for you to wear them, but not me?! :)

searust
03-23-2011, 23:02
Pack it all -- hike around your neighborhood for 10 miles-- camp in the back yard and see what else you would like to have.

Cook all the types of meals you might have before you go to make sure they are edible.

Personally I hike with three pairs of sox and none of that electronic gear-- but I do have a film camera. I also won't go anywhere without my Svea stove. My longest hike has been just under 200 miles, And I am 6foot and 250 lbs however -- so a 30 pound pack on me is different from a 30 pound pack on someone smaller than me.--- so listen to some of the AT pros

HYOH=== if you want it and can carry it--then take it. You will soon learn 100 miles down the trail if you REALLY need to drop or get something.

STICK
03-23-2011, 23:43
Pack it all -- hike around your neighborhood for 10 miles-- camp in the back yard and see what else you would like to have.

Have done! That's how I figured out I want what I have now.

Cook all the types of meals you might have before you go to make sure they are edible.

This I will do, but not until next year. I will probably start ordering all the dried foods and start mixing and matching. I plan to eat them at home and even at work...

Personally I hike with three pairs of sox and none of that electronic gear-- but I do have a film camera. I also won't go anywhere without my Svea stove. My longest hike has been just under 200 miles, And I am 6foot and 250 lbs however -- so a 30 pound pack on me is different from a 30 pound pack on someone smaller than me.--- so listen to some of the AT pros

Socks, I have 3 pairs packed as well. (1 on my feet and 2 in my pack, although I will mainly wear 1 pair for sleeping in and alternate the other 2 until the day that I will be hiking in somewhere that I can wash them).

As for the digital stuff, I gotta have a camera, and I love my digital camera. Carrying film wouldn't work for me.

I don't really plan on using my phone as a phone except for maybe when I get into town or to a trailhead and need to call for a ride, if I get signal. Or I can call and talk to my family when in town without feeding a payphone a bunch of money. Plus I can listen to music on it if I feel the desire too.

And the SPOT, well that is what my wife has asked me to do to go on the hike and that is what I will do.

I am 5'10" and (currently) 200 pounds, and I have been loving my 20 - 25 pound pack!

And yep, I am studying up, reading and asking questions all I can. Even though I do feel like I have a good set-up now, and even though I know it works for me, I still like to ask for suggestions. Some I have already considered and just the suggestion is enough to push me over, and some I have considered and have realized that it is not for me.

I realize that no matter what I start with, my pack (& weight) will change over the trail. I am not gong to be dead set on something just because even though it is not working out for me. If it works I keep it until it doesn't anymore or until something that may be better comes along...if it doesn't I find something that does...All in all, I want to start and finish this trail with an open mind...

HYOH=== if you want it and can carry it--then take it. You will soon learn 100 miles down the trail if you REALLY need to drop or get something.

Replies are in bold above...

Wags
03-25-2011, 00:31
stick did i miss no deet? you'll want it midway...