PDA

View Full Version : GoLite Jam Pack overloaded

Kepley
03-22-2011, 04:35
Future SOBO thru hiker here, just weighed pack and its going to be 40 pounds with everything when its rated for a maximum of 30 pounds. Its frameless, but I have a Purcell Trench Voyager grill lodged in back for a frame which should help a little with support. Anyone out there familiar with this pack who could give me guidance? Do maximums really mean anything?

johnnyblisters
03-22-2011, 08:25
That pack is designed to safely carry loads up to 30#s. Its much better for the pack and your back to keep your weight under the max level. Unless you can get under that weight, I suggest looking for a different pack that can handle your load.

Unload your pack, spread everything out and inspect carefully. Anything that isn't used constantly (i.e. a 1/2 lb grill grate) should be left at home.

dragoro
03-22-2011, 08:26
I did the Georgia section last year at close to 40. Headed back down this year to continue. 40 isn't really all that bad, you won't be able to run down the trail as some people do, but it's definitely doable. Heck our soldiers fight in Afghanistan with 80 pounds on their back.

flemdawg1
03-22-2011, 08:33
I did the Georgia section last year at close to 40. Headed back down this year to continue. 40 isn't really all that bad, you won't be able to run down the trail as some people do, but it's definitely doable. Heck our soldiers fight in Afghanistan with 80 pounds on their back.

The issue isn't a 40lb pack, it that it's 40lbs in a frameless UL pack.

I'm going to GA in 9 days, my JAm will only have around 20lbs with food, fuel, and water.

I'd suggest sharing your gear lists on the UL section of this board.

RevLee
03-22-2011, 08:50
I tried carrying an older golite with 10lbs over the max spec last year and it was not comfortable. You really should lighten the load or switch to a more appropriate pack. I finally switched to a ULA Catalyst and it made a world of difference.

Creek Dancer
03-22-2011, 08:54
Ditto what RevLee said.

The 30 pound maximum is about right. I have a GoLite Jam and I feel it maxing out around 28 pounds.

Blissful
03-22-2011, 09:25
Need to post your gear list - bet you can cut lbs with your load. 40 lbs is way to heavy to start a SOBO

bigcranky
03-22-2011, 10:33
GoLite has been successful in popularizing light and ultralight gear, which is generally not a bad thing. One downside, though, is that less-experienced hikers see a GoLite pack in a big retailer, and don't understand that it's really a specialty item aimed at a very small group of hikers.

Any frameless rucksack, like the Jam, is great for very light or ultralight gear loads. We're talking base weights of maybe 12-15 pounds, max, and total weights under 25 pounds. 20 is better. A "traditional" 3-season gear load is generally over 20 or 25 pounds base weight and can weigh 40 pounds or more fully loaded. That just won't work in a frameless ruck for long distance hiking.

Tinker
03-22-2011, 10:36
I carried about 36 lbs. in my Golite Dawn through the Hundred Mile Wilderness in the fall. You should be able to lighten up your load to less than mine (I was hiking solo and carried everything I needed including a 1 lb. water filter).

dragoro
03-22-2011, 13:27
The issue isn't a 40lb pack, it that it's 40lbs in a frameless UL pack.

I'm going to GA in 9 days, my JAm will only have around 20lbs with food, fuel, and water.

I'd suggest sharing your gear lists on the UL section of this board.
40 was referring to age......

flemdawg1
03-22-2011, 13:47
You should work on your reading comprehension.
"..just weighed pack and its going to be 40 pounds with everything.. "

The OP's age is 23.

Kepley
03-22-2011, 13:52
Sounds like a plan. I will get my gear on a list sometime soon and post it to figure out whats up? Are my essentials really luxury items?

bigcranky
03-22-2011, 18:27
Are my essentials really luxury items?

Two things:

1. You will find that some of what you consider "essential" now really isn't, and you'll stop carrying those items. So, yeah.

2. I expect that some of the gear you have is "traditional backpacking" gear -- i.e., heavy. Not what would normally go in an ultralight frameless rucksack. (The grill sort of gives this away.)

Take all your gear, including the pack, but not including food or water. Weigh it all. If it's more than 12 pounds, you probably need a different pack. Or a lot less/different gear. A frameless ruck works best with UL loads of 10-12 pound base weights and 20-22 pound total loads. While 30 pounds may be possible in a Jam, I sure wouldn't want to carry it more than a couple of miles.

Kepley
03-29-2011, 07:11
Just bought the GoLite Terrono 70 Liter which supposedly can carry up to 60 pounds. Paid $165 after 40% off coupon code.

hunter121
03-29-2011, 07:57
40 isn't really all that bad
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/10.jpghttp://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx229/j3iR/wind/jeromssummer_flickr_photos_848.gif

sbhikes
03-29-2011, 10:05
The Golite Jam is supposed to be the final purchase. The purchase after you've already posted a gear list and weighed all your stuff. The purchase long after you know that you don't need to bring a barbecue grill on a long distance hike.

RITBlake
03-29-2011, 10:23
Future SOBO thru hiker here, just weighed pack and its going to be 40 pounds with everything when its rated for a maximum of 30 pounds. Its frameless, but I have a Purcell Trench Voyager grill lodged in back for a frame which should help a little with support. Anyone out there familiar with this pack who could give me guidance? Do maximums really mean anything?

Please note that the first word in the brand name of your pack. GoLite. The rough translation is Go Light meaning do not carry 40 pounds of unnecessary gear. The pack was not designed for this.

The fact that you are carrying a trench grill tells me exactly how unprepared and poor your planning is. Good luck.

Kepley
03-29-2011, 12:38
I have cancelled my order for the GoLite Terrono 70L. I decided that I am actually going to go against BigCranky, Johnnyblisters, Flemdog, and others "advice" and go ahead with the thru hike with my frameless Jam. I'm not going to lessen the load, but rather force my body to adapt to the load. Who knows, maybe I'll figure out a way to rearrange the stuff in the pack to reduce the back pain.

By the way, all you grill naysayers should know that I am bringing it. If you prefer ramen and eat PB&J sandwiches then you will never understand my reasoning. Sometimes I just can't see eye to eye with the ultralight crowd.

skinewmexico
03-29-2011, 12:44
I'm not going to lessen the load, but rather force my body to adapt to the load. Who knows, maybe I'll figure out a way to rearrange the stuff in the pack to reduce the back pain.

Sometimes I just can't see eye to eye with the ultralight crowd.

That sounds like about as much fun as having crabs. Or a bad ex-wife. So what's the logic behind insisting on an ultralight pack with heavyweight gear? I'm just not getting this. Or is it just a way to poke fun at people who say you should use the right tool for the job?

RITBlake
03-29-2011, 12:52
Sometimes I just can't see eye to eye with the ultralight crowd.

Yet you tried to buy one of the lightest frameless packs on the market. Brilliant.

RITBlake
03-29-2011, 12:55
This should fit your grill nicely:

http://www.best-backpack-guide.com/image-files/keltysupertioga.jpg

maybe clem
03-29-2011, 13:35
I've overloaded my Golite Gust several times. I had no problems with it.

garlic08
03-29-2011, 15:02
I cannot count how many Golite packs I've seen with torn seams and straps covered with home-made padding, overloaded with a towering pile of 40 pounds of stuff. And it will keep happening, apparently.

bigcranky
03-29-2011, 15:36
Enjoy your hike.

flemdawg1
03-29-2011, 22:39
I have cancelled my order for the GoLite Terrono 70L. I decided that I am actually going to go against BigCranky, Johnnyblisters, Flemdog, and others "advice" and go ahead with the thru hike with my frameless Jam. I'm not going to lessen the load, but rather force my body to adapt to the load. Who knows, maybe I'll figure out a way to rearrange the stuff in the pack to reduce the back pain.

By the way, all you grill naysayers should know that I am bringing it. If you prefer ramen and eat PB&J sandwiches then you will never understand my reasoning. Sometimes I just can't see eye to eye with the ultralight crowd.

Would you wear shoes 3 sizes too small and hike in them? I don't because I believe that comfort is important whan I'm out enjoying nature. I'm not in the UL category in packweight, because there are some items I value too, such as hot coffee in the morning, a BA Air Core pad and my canister stove. These are comfort items I haven't compromised on because I value their worth to me over the title of UL Hiker.

When Golite reccomends their packs for those with packweights under 30lbs, it isn't to be elitist, it is ensure that those who buy and use their gear are able to do so comfortably. It is simply for your own benefit to abide by that reccomendation. Personally I couldn't fit 40lbs of stuff in my Jam, so I quite baffled that you could really fit that much stuff inside one.

Whatever you decide on, I wish you luck.

sbhikes
03-29-2011, 22:48
Nothing wrong with carrying a barbecue grill or 40lbs or whatever. But do yourself a favor and don't let your pack boss your hike around. Get a pack that'll carry your load well and YOU be the boss of your hike.

ncalcamper
04-03-2011, 17:25
Hey Kepley, here a are some links to lightweight grill ideas. There good ideas out there to lighten up, like Aqua Fina bottles vs. Nalgenes. It's hard to believe, but every ounce does add up. I bet you could save 5lbs by thinking just a little differently and it make that Jam ( I own a Pinnacle) work all the better for you. Hope you check it out. NCC

http://tinyurl.com/2ss2zb

http://www.purcelltrench.com/grills.htm

Trailbender
04-03-2011, 18:37

Yeah, and they have knee, spinal, and leg problems from carrying that much, too. I was discharged from the Army for severe stress fractures in both lower legs. It was because of gear weight and running all the time. I had a doctor tell me the military loses 15% of its personnel directly related to carrying too heavy of a load.

Tenderheart
04-03-2011, 18:50
Yeah, and they have knee, spinal, and leg problems from carrying that much, too. I was discharged from the Army for severe stress fractures in both lower legs. It was because of gear weight and running all the time. I had a doctor tell me the military loses 15% of its personnel directly related to carrying too heavy of a load.

So true and the troops actually have packs designed to carry that much weight, all be it way too much. A Go-Lite or ULA ain't no A.L.I.C.E.

litefoot

LDog
04-03-2011, 20:38
I have an Osprey Atmos 50 which is well documented as becoming overloaded somewhere north of 30-35 lbs. The hipbelt dosn't take the load, and everything's on one's shoulders. Knowing I'm gonna have one or two long stretches requiring something like 15 lbs of food in addition to water, I'm struggling to get my base weight down to 15 lbs. I'm close, and will have the opportunity to try out the full load in the near term. But, I am absolutely committed to buying a pack that will allow me to comfortably and safely carry the load if the Atmos won't.

johnnyjohnson2043
04-03-2011, 20:48
I was planning on carrying a Jam on my thru but then I realized I had more weight than I was originally expecting and needed a little extra room. I tried carrying the Jam around the house with nearly 40lbs including food and water and it just wasn't working. It didn't ride comfortably enough to carry 2000 miles. I eventually bought a Mountain Hardwear Kanza 55. Its a heavier pack but it feels so much better with the weight I am planning to carry.

Kia Kaha
04-04-2011, 08:06
I had a golite pinnacle and it just was not comfortable for me compared to my GG Nimbus Ozone even with only 22# fully packed. I had it over 30, and it hurt my shoulders after a long trail day. Some heavier packs carry "lighter" than a pack that is lighter. Weight should not be the be all end all, comfort should be first.

UCONNMike
04-04-2011, 10:50

I totally agree with RITBlake on this one, haha, it's comical when I see people think they can be "ultra-lite" just by buying an ultra-lite pack. If you're carrying 30-40 pounds, get a real framed pack rated for that weight. Yea sure, your Jam would hold 30-40 pounds, but it would be so uncomfortable an awkward, because it's designed to realistically only hold about 20 pounds max. This post is so foolish, and as Blake said, truly shows how unprepared you are.

beakerman
04-04-2011, 11:04
its so nice to see a modorator on this board trashing someone...

blake give the guy a break. you made your point of his being unprepared. I guess you have never made a mistake with anything in your life. he realized it and asked for help not riducule so get over yourself and either help or stay out of the way please. ther is no need to be mean spirited about this.

beakerman
04-04-2011, 11:24

I would avoid the scenario you are looking at. I would choose either a different pack witha real frame or seriously pare down the gear wieght

that being said you mention a grill. I love nice meals on the trail...the if it can't be cooked in a freezer bag/boiled crowd can litterally go take a hike. I am with you on the sentiment. however reality must be checked once in a while. What types of food are yo uplanning on cooking on this grill? I'd bet you with a little mental work you could learn to cook it over a fire on aluminum foil. Some of my best trail meals have been cooked in or on foil.

Just that simple tip could shave some wieght from the pack. The beaity of it is as the foil supply gets lower the pack gets lighter with the trash drops.

I also agree if you are planning on cooking via a grill for every meal you are seriously overloading yourself with what I can only assume is fresh meat which does not transport well much past the first day or two depending on the weather and if the cut is frozen or not to begin with.

The longest trek I managed was in the winter with a frozen steak. I carried one small round steak for each night. I ate well, enoyed the heat of the fire. Teh longest I've made it in the summer was the first day with my frozen steak...given it was much hotter I only carried one much nicer steak. It was great with the mushroom I picked along the way.

But all of these were cooked on foil. Same with fish and such...all foil cooking.

having said that there is the issue of burn bans and such so I hope you have another method of cookingbut that adds to your weight if you didn't consider them.

You need to seriously look at your base weight and scrutinize everything that you intend to put in your pack...even if you go with a seriousl load carying pack. ounces equal pounds an pounds equal pain...Im a 40 pounder myself...it does not matter if its an overnighter or a week long with no resupply my pack always seems to be right at 40 pounds iwth food...but my pack is designed for that type of load..actually much heavier. My gear list and menu vary according to length of trek and season.

Fog Horn
04-04-2011, 11:27
Just my two cents..... When your pack isn't designed to carry the weight, the weight is carried at different places on your body. Sure, you could attempt your thru in your overloaded pack, but carrying it for that many days might lead to knee, back, ankle, neck, or shoulder problems that will push you off the trail. I feel like you're setting yourself up for failure.

I know the draw of a lighter pack is intense, as you look at the other ones that are a pound more, but if you get a heavier pack that is built to carry your load, chances are it will feel much lighter than your lighter pack with the same heavy load, because its carrying the weight correctly.

There are so many things out there that might derail a thru hike, like weather, and self doubt, and injury. Why go out there setting your body up for failure?

Good luck though!!

RITBlake
04-04-2011, 11:30
its so nice to see a modorator on this board trashing someone...

blake give the guy a break. you made your point of his being unprepared. I guess you have never made a mistake with anything in your life. he realized it and asked for help not riducule so get over yourself and either help or stay out of the way please. ther is no need to be mean spirited about this.

Oh stop it. The guy came on here, asked for advice on his pack selection to which multiple people took the time to write intelligent, helpful responses to which the original poster said he would ignore and do what he thought was best anyway. Ok, so why were you even asking the question then??

Of course we all make mistakes and we all need to learn, but if you're unwilling to listen to the advice of much more experienced people then I lose all sympathy. Look back at my early posts, I asked 100's of questions in the early days and I listened to those who were willing to help me.

He's set in his ways, he's going to do it his way, there is nothing wrong with that, just don't come on the board, ask for help, then trash the advice of those who were willing to help you.

I decided that I am actually going to go against BigCranky, Johnnyblisters, Flemdog, and others "advice" and go ahead with the thru hike with my frameless Jam. I'm not going to lessen the load, but rather force my body to adapt to the load. Who knows, maybe I'll figure out a way to rearrange the stuff in the pack to reduce the back pain. Sometimes I just can't see eye to eye with the ultralight crowd.

RITBlake
04-04-2011, 11:33
And I stand by this statement:

The fact that you are carrying a trench grill tells me exactly how unprepared and poor your planning is. Good luck.

LDog
04-04-2011, 12:01
He's young, he's digging in his heels at criticism and lashing out. He'll learn one way or the other, and he's chosen the harder path.

Too bad, it sounds like he had found a nice pack at a good price ...

beakerman
04-04-2011, 14:25
Oh stop it. The guy came on here, asked for advice on his pack selection to which multiple people took the time to write intelligent, helpful responses to which the original poster said he would ignore and do what he thought was best anyway. Ok, so why were you even asking the question then??

Of course we all make mistakes and we all need to learn, but if you're unwilling to listen to the advice of much more experienced people then I lose all sympathy. Look back at my early posts, I asked 100's of questions in the early days and I listened to those who were willing to help me.

He's set in his ways, he's going to do it his way, there is nothing wrong with that, just don't come on the board, ask for help, then trash the advice of those who were willing to help you.

The fact is he didn't take that very negative stand until after you hit him with the grill comment...I agree the grill is a bit over the top. I'm not disputing that jsut the way you said it.

He said in posts before yours that we had ordered a larger pack to carry the weight. However he didn't post up his gear list after it was suggested so maybe that could be taken as resisting criticism....

All that aside as a mod I would think you would want to hold yourself to a higher standard than busting a guys chops when he is actively seeking help from more experiecend members of the community. That is a sure fire way to make some one dig in an resist everything you say.

Blackbird
04-04-2011, 14:49
I'm thinking 40 in a frameless pack will be a self-correcting problem after a week or so on the trail. Then again, he's what, 23? Might reduce his mileage a bit if he avoids injury or the pack stays together.

When I was just a little older than him, I was carrying canned food, an MSR Whisperlite stove, a bottle of fuel and quallofill sleeping bags in an old Army A.L.I.C.E. pack up and down the High Peaks of the Adirondacks. It slowed me down a little. (wink-wink)

Flash forward to spring of 2005, me going off Springer with 36 pounds in a ULA P-1 frameless pack, and that's with a couple of liters of water and food for six days -- never did that again. Above about 30 pounds, that pack CUTS into your shoulders and I learned my lesson quickly. But I was older and wiser.

That trench grill will be fun to use the first time, but will immediately and therafter be a continuous source of greasy, grimy soot and dirt and nastiness for ever. I use my sleeping pad to give my frameless pack some form. (Same P-1 pack, btw.)

sbhikes
04-04-2011, 22:48
if you get a heavier pack that is built to carry your load, chances are it will feel much lighter than your lighter pack with the same heavy load, because its carrying the weight correctly.

This is so true. Even though I now pack very light, I started on the PCT with too much water weight and I suffered. Part way through my hike, I bought a heavier pack with an internal frame and it was like all the weight on my back melted away. It carried the weight SO much better it was unbelievable.

It was only after I went home and really combed through every little thing in my pack and lightened up as far as I could go that I could put it in my ultralight pack and feel good.

beakerman
04-06-2011, 14:42
This is so true. Even though I now pack very light, I started on the PCT with too much water weight and I suffered. Part way through my hike, I bought a heavier pack with an internal frame and it was like all the weight on my back melted away. It carried the weight SO much better it was unbelievable.

It was only after I went home and really combed through every little thing in my pack and lightened up as far as I could go that I could put it in my ultralight pack and feel good.

Agreed there is both an experience level and a mind set that must accompany the UL hiker. I do not have that mind set...there are too many comfort things I like to make the transition to a UL setup.

The experience comes in knowing what to eliminate whereas the mind set is all about what you can tolerate the two are neither mutually inclusive nor exclusive of one another. I know I can dig a cat hole with a stick but prefer my trowel. I know I can do an alky stove and leave my wisperlite behind but I like it despite the weight. On the flip side I carry a very light and simple knife because I use a knife every day on the trail so I need that and I know exactly what I need it to do so I carry nothing more. Where as my hammock is both light and comfortable so that goes in both columns...the mind set is a game of self justification with a real hard look at reality...sure it would be nice to have this item out there with me but how much is it worth to me?

Like I said I adjust my gear list to the distance and time I am hiking and with food and water I almost always come in right at 40 pounds...it does not matter if I am going for a week or an overnighter I carry more or less gear for comfort in place of food and other longer distance/time needs.

Amanita
04-06-2011, 16:14
40 pounds "fully loaded" is how many days of food? And how long is it going to take you to get through the 100 mile wilderness?

In my opinion, take a framed pack with a good hip belt to start, then if your load lightens up as you get more experienced you can have it mailed to you. As others have pointed out, how you carry the weight can make a BIG difference.

Dogwood
04-06-2011, 19:40
I used a GoLite Jam 2 on the PCT upto Yosemite NP. Carried upto 35 lbs through the Sierras. Even though I consider my shoulders, chest, back, and body to be sufficiently thru-hiker tested and strong carrying that weight through the Sierras on long hauls between resupplying ate into my shoulders making them sore. IMO, and as GoLite states, this pack was designed for a max wt. I think this even applys to your retrofitted pack.

In Yosemite NP I switched out to a ULA Conduit, now called the ULA CDT, and I thought the ULA pack carried wt, somewhat comprable to what I hauled through the Sierras with the Jam 2, MUCH better.

Another thing you might consider is the bulkiness of your gear(load). IMO, the Jam 2 has a bit higher center of gravity with a fully loaded pack when compared to the ULA Conduit. IMO, this made the Jam 2 a bit more top heavy unstable which effected my hiking on some terrain.

Dogwood
04-06-2011, 19:50
One more thought. Using a ProLite 3 Thermarest for both my Jam 2 and Conduit I thought the Conduit did a better job of transferring the wt to my waist then the Jam 2. TOO MUCH wt was on my shoulders with the Jam 2, and YES, I did reorganize my gear inside my Jam 2 to try to alleviate this condition to no avail. I was not impressed with the waist/hip belt of the Jam 2 for carrying the load

OF course, I DID NOT have the retrofitted Jam 2 as you have.

sbhikes
04-06-2011, 23:17
When I have to go, I have TO GO. No time for trowels. One man's necessity or nice-to-have is another woman's never have a chance to use. I've been taken by surprise enough times to know that a) a rock works great and b) you can dig the hole after. ;)

TIDE-HSV
04-07-2011, 01:22
I guess I'm having more trouble wrapping my mind around the idea of a grill on a thru than a mis-chosen pack. In years long gone by, I've hauled a light grill made of tubular stainless, but that was for hiking in to a base camp, where one can enjoy a grill and fire. On a thru, there's just no way to carry enough meat to make one worthwhile, not to mention the constant cleanup/smell problem. Mice could be cooked on foil...

beakerman
04-07-2011, 09:05
When I have to go, I have TO GO. No time for trowels. One man's necessity or nice-to-have is another woman's never have a chance to use. I've been taken by surprise enough times to know that a) a rock works great and b) you can dig the hole after. ;)

I never said what order I do things in...lets just say I would never have made it as a bomber pilot in WWII. Precision bombing is not in my vocabulary. The crater comes after the impact.

Honestly even after all these years of goin' in the woods I still have fears of getting some on my pants. I do not know how you ladies deal with that al lthe time. Thankfully as a man I only have to squat down once or twice a day.

Bare Bear
04-09-2011, 13:03
See my journal. I use my GoLite30 for everythig now excpet when taking the sweetheart along then I use a too heavy Kelty what with the wine, bigger tent, etc. But dang she is worth the extra weight.

Still.water
05-31-2011, 14:22

Play nice children: I have used Kelty frame packs for longer than some of you have been alive and adore them still for colder weather, longer trips, and when I have to tote in my own water or a lot of other folks' stuff.

They are tough as nails, and absolute champs at transmitting 40 plus lbs off 50-year old shoulders and back, and down to the hips where it belongs.

I ALSO have a Golite Jam for moving out fast and light in warmer weather. It's a dirt simple pack that can handle abuse.

That said, I think I'd rather have an underpacked Kelty than an overpacked jam for a full-blown SOBO run.

Trust me: too much stuff just leads to an unhappy walker, and a bunch of stuff on the trail behind you. (Lost a fine guitar and wok that way back when I was young strong - and dumb.

Re: that grill: ditch it now and pick up a Trangia Mini, friend: simple, tough, cheap, light enough really, and will burn most any alcohol you can find along the trail.