PDA

View Full Version : flour or corn tortillas

10-K
03-22-2011, 07:08
I'm going to ship a small drop and am going to toss in some tortillas.

I know there are flour and corn - which one of these will keep for a few weeks before going bad?

JERMM
03-22-2011, 07:22
Keep them in a Ziploc or other air tight container and either should be fine. I've kept both sealed for 6-8 weeks to be shipped in drop boxes, they were fine when I ate them. Check out the spinach tortillas...yumm.

garlic08
03-22-2011, 07:55
Whichever has the highest fat content will last longer before going stale. Generally, flour tortillas have more fat, I think.

mweinstone
03-22-2011, 08:19
10k? no one eats corn tortillas hiking. its not done. now,...you were doing fine here and your threads have gotten high marks. this corn thing is going on your permenent record. its a shame. you have alot of promis 10k. useing the corn word was wrong. think about how hard youve worked to get to this hiking part of your life. why throw it all away for a lousy corn problem? i want you to get some help. i know a flour counseler. everyone loves you 10k. you dont need corn. it isnt even you. let it go.

Hikes in Rain
03-22-2011, 08:24
Corn tortillas tend to break or crumble when rolled without cooking first. My traditional method has been to dip them in hot oil, not quite frying them, if I'm going to use them to roll, say, enchiladas. However, last weekend at cookout, I noticed a number of folks cooking them over charcoal. Sounded interesting, but haven't tried it yet.

10-K
03-22-2011, 08:57
10k? no one eats corn tortillas hiking. its not done. now,...you were doing fine here and your threads have gotten high marks. this corn thing is going on your permenent record. its a shame. you have alot of promis 10k. useing the corn word was wrong. think about how hard youve worked to get to this hiking part of your life. why throw it all away for a lousy corn problem? i want you to get some help. i know a flour counseler. everyone loves you 10k. you dont need corn. it isnt even you. let it go.

Forgive me Father Matt, for I have sinned. It has been forever since my last tortilla......

Really I've never used tortillas before and just wanted to get whichever kind would be ok for a few weeks in a box until I was able to pick it up.

Good info about the corn ones crumbling - guess I'll go with flour.

Blissful
03-22-2011, 09:36
You know I just truly dislike tortillas. tasteless. I really like those flatbreads they have out now.

10-K
03-22-2011, 09:42
You know I just truly dislike tortillas. tasteless. I really like those flatbreads they have out now.

Me too... If I can I get something called a "Flatout" - it's an oval shaped flatbread and comes in lots of varieties. Only problem is they start molding within a week.

sarbar
03-22-2011, 11:27
When you buy flour tortillas look for the brands with the farthest out expiration date - like a good month or two. Not the brands I want to eat at home but on trail....

Out west that would be Mission Brand :p

mudhead
03-22-2011, 11:41
Agree. Some here have a 2 month out expire. I think generally corn will last longer, but you better do a taste test at home first.

For fancy grubbing look for "lavash bread."

Fiddleback
03-22-2011, 11:43
Some locally made or organic or generally, 'small brand' tortillas may spoil early. But the major brands, such as those found at WalMart, last a lonnng time. Litterally, months on top of my refrigerator (not in).

My current flour tortillas are still soft (if not particularly fresh) and have been kept in their original plastic bag packaging on top of the fridge since opening. Sell by freshness date? November 6, 2010. :eek:

I can't imagine a new pack of tortillas not 'keeping' on the trail for a few weeks.

FB

Tenderheart
03-22-2011, 16:45

Well, I don't know about all that, but I will say that corn tortillas taste awful. And I mean awful. I'd rather eat a rancid flour tortilla than a fresh corn one.

litefoot 2000

Tenderheart
03-22-2011, 16:56
By the way, what happened to the tortilla-sized fruit roll-ups? They were great rolled up with peanut butter. All I see now are the small ones.

litefoot 2000

mlkelley
03-22-2011, 17:15
Well, I don't know about all that, but I will say that corn tortillas taste awful. And I mean awful. I'd rather eat a rancid flour tortilla than a fresh corn one.

litefoot 2000

Hey now, Let's throttle back on the corn tortilla hatin'. I wouldn't want them on the trail because of the previously mentioned crumble issues. BUT, I think good, fresh corn tortillas are freakin' awesome.:banana

sarbar
03-22-2011, 18:08
A corn tortilla that is fried in a tiny bit of oil in a pot becomes quite good. Having said that...the reason a PLAIN corn tortilla doesn't taste so good is simple:
They are nearly sodium free and usually fat free.

Where as flour tortillas are full of those two items ;-)

Skidsteer
03-22-2011, 18:32
I'm partial to LaBanderita whole wheat tortillas. The last long enough for me to eat all of them.

Does that help?

doritotex
03-22-2011, 19:10
10k? no one eats corn tortillas hiking. its not done. now,...you were doing fine here and your threads have gotten high marks. this corn thing is going on your permenent record. its a shame. you have alot of promis 10k. useing the corn word was wrong. think about how hard youve worked to get to this hiking part of your life. why throw it all away for a lousy corn problem? i want you to get some help. i know a flour counseler. everyone loves you 10k. you dont need corn. it isnt even you. let it go. Golly!! Are you the god of what people eat on the trail? I am from Texas, and I damn well will eat tortillas on the trail! Ha! Maybe up in Philly, one does not eat tortillas on the trail...corn tortillas if fresh, and reheated properly are quite good! But, you're right, it's hard to find fresh tortillas in non border states unless you make them yourself!! The tortillas that I find in the grocery stores in east TN are way past fresh!!

Mother Natures Son
03-22-2011, 19:23
You know Father Matt, you can't get to heaven eating flour tortillas. There's a special place for hikers like you. There's purgatory and then there's hiker hell, otherwise known as week-old leftovers from some really greasy AYCE - no names mentioned. My question is, what do you put in the tortilla that won't go bad- tuna?

Sierra Echo
03-22-2011, 19:28

10K you have just been told!!!!

Hikes in Rain
03-22-2011, 19:33
A lady after my own heart! I'm privileged to own my grandmother's tortilla press, which I make good use of. Nothing like home made. Have you tried blue corn masa? Amazing stuff.

JaxHiker
03-23-2011, 10:06
Corn tortillas tend to break or crumble when rolled without cooking first.
I had this problem when I tried wheat tortillas on the last hike. I've gone back to flour.

Hikes in Rain
03-23-2011, 13:21
Didn't know that about the wheat ones. Darn. At least you'd have bigger pieces. :-?

Great White
03-23-2011, 20:32
I ran across this article a few days ago. Apparently some Tortillas will last for a few months, according to the article. Here is the link: http://www.packitgourmet.com/The+Life+of+a+Tortilla-sp95.html

mweinstone
03-23-2011, 20:43
at 14 i was loading corn tortillas into taco shaped holders and placeing them in a fryer at phonominal speed in a 135 degree kitchen with candy stoves and other fryers all around me within inches of my person. for 5 years i worked in the hell hole known as the taco house. owned by hap and janett, it was a 53 year old philly tradition at pine and camac streets.each year at the resturant festival on the ben franklin parkway we made thousands of tacos for the hords. i can sling 7 tacos in one hand stretched between thumb and pinky. i make chalupas and chilli con caso and all manner of corn tortilla requireing food. but takeing one on the trail is outside of my abilitys. without cooking, they skanky.

Fiddleback
03-24-2011, 12:09
I ran across this article a few days ago. Apparently some Tortillas will last for a few months, according to the article. Here is the link: http://www.packitgourmet.com/The+Life+of+a+Tortilla-sp95.html

Yup. As I posted above (#11), flour tortillas last a long time. I concede that the top of my refrigerator may not be as warm as a summer day hike but it's also not as cool as a summer night. Anyhoo, Great White's post got me curious so I went back through my steno pad of shopping lists to determine when I bought my current flour tortillas...those with the 6Nov10 freshness date...and found I brought home the "Reser's Burrito Size Flour Tortillas" on 15Sep10.

That puts 'em at six months+ old...they show no mold/discoloration, they are still soft (although a microwave refresh would help) and there's no off taste. Buried in a backpack, the just-bought taste of new (major brand) tortillas should last for weeks and weeks and weeks...

FB

jbwood5
03-24-2011, 12:36
I smear peanut butter over one side, roll it up and have a quick lunch.... It's so easy.

Tinker
03-24-2011, 14:41
A corn tortilla that is fried in a tiny bit of oil in a pot becomes quite good. Having said that...the reason a PLAIN corn tortilla doesn't taste so good is simple:
They are nearly sodium free and usually fat free.

Where as flour tortillas are full of those two items ;-)

Homer Simpson says "Sodium and fat........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.":)

A true endorsement of the flour tortilla (for hikers, at least). I'd say (without actual experience, though) that anything with more salt in it is likely to last longer, but that's just a reasonable theory.:-?

58starter
03-24-2011, 18:09
flour for me. peanut butter, chicken, chili max and beef, cheese, can't beat them for fast backpacker food

Leanthree
03-24-2011, 18:17
I smear peanut butter over one side, roll it up and have a quick lunch.... It's so easy.

Tort+PB+Honey+Granola wins every time.

Skidsteer
03-24-2011, 18:19
Whole wheat tortilla and Nutella. Yesssssss.....

ocourse
04-02-2011, 15:44
I'm partial to LaBanderita whole wheat tortillas. The last long enough for me to eat all of them.

Does that help?

It's the only way to go. I put my package or tortillas in my backpack hydration sleeve next to my (relatively) cool water. They keep a long time. Sometimes when it is extremely hot, I put wax paper in between them to keep them from sticking together.

By the way, flour is absolutely horrible for you. I avoid it whenever possible.

skooch
04-02-2011, 22:13
corn tortillas are yucky. never liked them for anything except crunchy tacos. Mission flour tortillas are awesome. peanut butter and nutella or honey. breakfast lunch or dinner. yum

Camping Dave
04-02-2011, 22:50
I'm going to ship a small drop and am going to toss in some tortillas.

I know there are flour and corn - which one of these will keep for a few weeks before going bad?

In grocery stores around here tortilla packages are marked with a "sell by" date.

Bootstrap
04-08-2011, 10:11
I make my own corn tortillas, from Masa Harina, and bring them with me for my hikes, which tend to be 2-4 days (and less frequent than I wish since I got married!).

I can't think of a good way to make fresh corn tortillas on the trail. I'd love it if there were a good way to do that, they are so good when they are fresh.

10-K
04-08-2011, 11:32
In grocery stores around here tortilla packages are marked with a "sell by" date.

I had never paid attention to the expiration date on flour tortillas - sure enough..

I got some that expire in May sometime - I'll be done by then and if I'm still in the woods then I'll probably be grateful for some moldy old tortillas considering I'd be lost as pooh.

Jelly-Bean
04-08-2011, 13:12
I come on here to read every day and 10k you always have the BEST and most logical advice. But corn? Really! I'm with Father Matt on this one.

Bootstrap
04-08-2011, 13:42
I'm gluten intolerant. Corn is my only choice.

10-K
04-08-2011, 13:51
I come on here to read every day and 10k you always have the BEST and most logical advice. But corn? Really! I'm with Father Matt on this one.

I got flour - looks like corn is kind of sketchy.. ;-)

EastCoastFeastCoast
04-08-2011, 16:44
I love corn tortillas and flour tortillas. I think for what you're pairing with the tortillas (peanut butter 'n such) flour is the way to go for sure. That being said- If you still need your corn fix, come see me, I got some in a jar :)

Hikes in Rain
04-08-2011, 19:12
My kind of human. Wanna trade some good homebrew beer or mead???

Del Q
04-08-2011, 20:24
JEEZ.....what a week,

10K back to you in a moment

Matt - more shocked with YOU, too many cheese-steaks? Gotta get out of the hood in South Philly more often, Corn Tortillas ROCK, so much healthier, crumbling...........come on guys, after 2 weeks on my last section hike crumbled pretzels in the corner of a zip loc were HEAVEN ON THE AT.

10K - Your gear is obviously dialed in, yet you have definite FOOD ISSUES. Having said that, are you available for a shuttle and a great meal in your home town when I pass through?

10-K
04-08-2011, 22:25
10K - Your gear is obviously dialed in, yet you have definite FOOD ISSUES. Having said that, are you available for a shuttle and a great meal in your home town when I pass through?

I would be honored! Just let me know when and we'll make it happen.

EastCoastFeastCoast
04-08-2011, 22:32
I'm very interested in mead!

Hikes in Rain
04-09-2011, 08:07
It's great for a frustrated zymergist such as me. (Translation: Can't get get two to three consecutive weekends to brew beer!)

Currently have some Gallberry and a wonderful Orange Blossom mead cellering. I'm hoping to find some Sourwood honey next month after my section hike to Erwin.

We'll have to see about a trade......

EastCoastFeastCoast
04-09-2011, 22:13
Mmmmmmmmm sourwood!!!!!! I have some Apple pie (sleeper, won't knock you on your ass but tastes AMAZING) and white lightning (it will fuel a ******* Abrams tank!). And a 1 year aged blackberry I won't part with :P

mweinstone
04-10-2011, 01:14
god bless threads like this. theres no right or wrong. no voteing. no yammer or blather. just straight forward on topic love of hikers beloved foodstuffs and their associated required billions of hours of talking about before eating. god i love you for this.

flour.
but if they had a breadstuff based bacony tortilla, those.

Awol1970
04-10-2011, 08:03
Interesting thread. In my job I work with Hispanics all the time. They are emphatic about the fact that corn tortillas are more effecient providers of energy. They swear by it.

I like em both.