PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Pole Length

Ashevillian
03-22-2011, 10:29
I just bought my first pair of trekking poles. They adjust from 105 to 140 cm. I am 6 feet tall, does anyone have any recommendations for the length I need or how to determine the length?

Tinker
03-22-2011, 10:33
I'm 5'10-1/2 inches and set mine to between 120 and 125 cm. I don't think there's a formula, but I find that occasionally, on long downhills I might lengthen the poles and on long uphills I might shorten them (though usually not less than the 120 above). You'll get a feel for what's right for you as you use them.

jrwiesz
03-22-2011, 10:39
Try starting at 110-115cm; then adjust to what feels comfortable to you.

Some like just under 90 degrees for the bend at the elbow; slightly greater if doing downhill sections, less for the uphill sections.

You'll just have to determine what works for you. :sun

BigHodag
03-22-2011, 14:33
Leki's YouTube video: How To Adjust Your LEKI Poles And Straps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0kdlY4uSS8)

Oleskool
03-22-2011, 15:40
I keep my very short, just over waist high. Its all about personal comfort to me.

bulldog49
03-22-2011, 15:47
Stand with your arms bent forward at 90 deg (or whatever feels comfortable). That is height to set your pole. Not everyone of the same height has the same proportions. So varying dimensions of arm, torso and leg length will cause variation.

Ashevillian
03-22-2011, 20:25
Thank you all for your suggestions much appreciated.

Spokes
03-22-2011, 21:10
Most "how to video's" tell you to adjust them with your forearms about parallel to level ground. I tend to adjust my poles a little shorter and adjust the length based on where I plant them when I'm hiking along- a little farther ahead of my foot or behind. No need to stop, it's automatic man.

The people who tell you to adjust them longer or shorter when you are going up or down hill are full of CRAP! Who does that when they're hiking anyway? You'd be constantly stopping to adjust your poles on the AT.

JaxHiker
03-23-2011, 10:08
I'm 6'1" and set them to 130. Sometimes I do a slight split with the bottom at 130 and the top at 135 but usually they're the same.

jrwiesz
03-23-2011, 10:08
Having a bad hair day?

I don't recall the OP asking about hiking the AT.

I need to take a CRAP. It'll help me to LIGHTEN UP!:sun

Cookerhiker
03-23-2011, 10:53
Top of the poles are about 2" above my waist.

I lengthen them for long steep descents and also for fords.

Tinker
03-23-2011, 22:54
Most "how to video's" tell you to adjust them with your forearms about parallel to level ground. I tend to adjust my poles a little shorter and adjust the length based on where I plant them when I'm hiking along- a little farther ahead of my foot or behind. No need to stop, it's automatic man.

The people who tell you to adjust them longer or shorter when you are going up or down hill are full of CRAP! Who does that when they're hiking anyway? You'd be constantly stopping to adjust your poles on the AT.

If you only adjust them for, say, mountains like Moosilauke, then you will be using them shortened for a long time before lengthening them again for the downhill. For every hill...........yes, indeed - I would agree that if someone told you that - they might be full of fecal matter. Take a chill pill, expert.:rolleyes:

fredmugs
03-30-2011, 07:19
I put the top of my pole even with the top of my hip bone.

Driver8
03-30-2011, 07:34
The people who tell you to adjust them longer or shorter when you are going up or down hill are full of CRAP! Who does that when they're hiking anyway?

:welcome Um, I do, for steep ups and downs. Does that make me a bad person? Now, it's true, I've been told I'm full of crap a time or two. What happened to hyoh?