PDA

View Full Version : tent or hammock

onestepatatime
03-22-2011, 22:22
Planning a trip to new hampshire to section hike A.T. along franconia ridge would like some opinions on tent or hammock,as shelter I will be hiking with small group of friends plan to stay out 5-6 nights Thanks :sun

perrito
03-22-2011, 22:23
If there are trees, the answer is always hammock. :)

smalls
03-22-2011, 22:59
I would agree with perrito. Hammocks are more comfortable in just about every scenario imaginable. They take some tinkering, and have a higher initial cost though. If you're going to use one, get it well ahead of time and spend a few nights in the back yard so you know how to set it up.

-Smalls

sonic
03-23-2011, 09:42
I, too, have been looking into conveting to a Hammock, probably Hennessy. Can somebody direct me to a link or site that can provide some details on setting up, getting in, etc. I looked at Sgt. Rock's info, but still have some basic questions. For instance, how high do you have to hang? I've seen people 3-4 feet off the ground and I would need a step stool to get in the thing!:eek: But then I have seen others just a few inches off the ground (at least after they are hanging in it,who knows they may have started 3 feet off the ground). Any directions would be appreciated.

Hooch
03-23-2011, 10:09
. . . .I would like some opinions on tent or hammock as shelter. . . .Before the WB hammock haters jump on board, give serious consideration to a good quality, well set up hammock. You'll get a lot of opinions about both, but do bear in mind that the negative comments about hammocks mostly come from those who haven't tried them, have heard negative things about them from others or who weren't able to get past the inherent learning curve that comes with using hammocks. Once you get set up and staying warm figured out, a hammock is an excellent choice.

. . . .Can somebody direct me to a link or site that can provide some details on setting up, getting in, etc. . . .I'd be more than happy to. Go to Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net), the sister site of WhiteBlaze and jump right in. No hammock haters there to distract from the main focus: Hammocks. Make sure to tell 'em Hooch sent ya. :D

Koinseb
03-23-2011, 10:11
Can somebody direct me to a link or site that can provide some details

Just go to
http://www.hammockforums.net/
Search for any questions you have in that forum, and you will find the answer :D

Hooch
03-23-2011, 10:12
Just go to
http://www.hammockforums.net/
Search for any questions you have in that forum, and you will find the answer :DI totally beat you to the punch, dude. :p

Koinseb
03-23-2011, 10:13
I totally beat you to the punch, dude. :p

Yeah...and now you almost cross-posted me with that post again :D

endubyu
03-23-2011, 10:25
I use a hammock as well but if you have a small group it might possibly be better to use one larger tent, large enough for the entire group

10-K
03-23-2011, 10:27
I use a hammock as well but if you have a small group it might possibly be better to use one larger tent, large enough for the entire group

hehe.. I think you just described hell.....

endubyu
03-23-2011, 10:29
lol could be at that 10-K

Raul Perez
03-23-2011, 11:01
I, too, have been looking into conveting to a Hammock, probably Hennessy. Can somebody direct me to a link or site that can provide some details on setting up, getting in, etc. I looked at Sgt. Rock's info, but still have some basic questions. For instance, how high do you have to hang? I've seen people 3-4 feet off the ground and I would need a step stool to get in the thing!:eek: But then I have seen others just a few inches off the ground (at least after they are hanging in it,who knows they may have started 3 feet off the ground). Any directions would be appreciated.

Go to hammockforums.net

I also made a quick video regarding warbonnet and hennessey. Here you can see the set up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg4dumdEHAU

lori
03-23-2011, 11:58
I would see if one of the gentle souls at hammock forums is local to you, and ask if you can come check out their stuff. Some of those guys have every hammock known to man and then some, and all the better if there is a hangout near you, they'll let you climb in every model and try it out.

Slo-go'en
03-23-2011, 12:10
Keep in mind that you will have to stay at the AMC run, designated campsites along that streach of trail. (which will cost you $8.00 per person). Camping anywhere else between Franconia and Crawford notch is not an option. (there are 4 camp sites in that streach, so if you stay at each one, would be a 5 day, 4 night trip).

The designated camp sites all have tent platforms, which typically can sleep 4 people. Even in the middle of summer, it can get pretty chilly up there on the ridge, so if you do go with a hammock, make sure it has under insulation or you'll freeze your butt off.

If you and those in your group have to go out and buy either a hammock or tent, a tent would be the simpler option with a much shorter learning curve.

sonic
03-23-2011, 13:11
Thanks to all of you. This info is just what I was looking for. :D

lori
03-23-2011, 13:20
If you and those in your group have to go out and buy either a hammock or tent, a tent would be the simpler option with a much shorter learning curve.

That's your opinion. Not my experience, however. You can use the same gear - sleeping bag, pad - in a hammock, and it's not rocket science.

sjd0397
03-23-2011, 15:51
I am also debating tent or hammock. I'm just not sure where my pack will go so it won't get wet if it is raining. Are the hammocks really comfortable to sleep in for 6 months? Are they easier to set up then a tent or does that depend on the person

dragoro
03-23-2011, 15:53
I prefer my Eden II tent myself.

Raul Perez
03-23-2011, 16:21
I'm just not sure where my pack will go so it won't get wet if it is raining.

Under your hammock which is under your tarp.... BAM:sun

Yukon
03-23-2011, 16:23
I am also debating tent or hammock. I'm just not sure where my pack will go so it won't get wet if it is raining. Are the hammocks really comfortable to sleep in for 6 months? Are they easier to set up then a tent or does that depend on the person

Frameless pack? If so, use it as your footbox pad :)

lori
03-23-2011, 17:07

Well, I've set up tents in the rain, and set up the hammock in the rain. I am drier setting up the hammock because the tarp goes up first and then everything goes up under.

The pack hangs from the end of my hammock under the tarp. In Yosemite I've put the pack under my feet simply because bears have been known to drag off an empty pack. Also thrown the pack, shoes, etc on the ground right under the hammock. It all stays dry.

Some hammockers are sleeping in hammocks full time, getting rid of their beds entirely - the South American Indians sleep in hammocks, and have done for centuries. So it's entirely possible to be comfortable sleeping in one long term.

It may not be for everyone... but it's certainly changed my backpacking habits, and also made me more open to trying all kinds of gear that other people tend to criticize. The Herd Mentality is not always right.

onestepatatime
03-23-2011, 17:16
Thanks all, I will try to get in touch with some of the hammock folks that is a great idea,try without needing to buy, also from franconia ridge to crawford are the designated campsites suitable for hammock use

smalls
03-23-2011, 20:56
Lor, those are some real words of wisdom. I was a bit caught off guard when I came back into the 'mainstream' backpacking world from a survival/military environment with little exposure to retail gear, and discovered some of the inefficiencies and inadequacies people seemed to accept as 'just the way it is', when excellent alternatives exist. Moooooo.

-Smalls

Utah
03-23-2011, 21:34
Went thru there last fall and wished I had a hammock. You must camp below treeline and in the trees there are very few places to pitch a tent.

perrito
03-23-2011, 22:45
... The Herd Mentality is not always right.
Amen to that!

WILLIAM HAYES
03-24-2011, 00:17
Hammock hands down-once you try it and get your setup dialed in you will have a great nights sleep

dragoro
03-24-2011, 18:48
You guys are evil. All this talk of hammocks convinced me to go buy one myself. I just hope it's as easy as you guys make seem to find good places to hang it along the trail.

takethisbread
03-24-2011, 19:02

Hammock much easier to set up in most instances. Sleeping on the ground for 6 months is going to be harder. i tented on my hike, but if i do it again i may take the Hammock. you can keep your pack under your fly or hang it up in the shelter if you are hammocking near, which is most common

lori
03-24-2011, 19:31
Amen to that!

You guys are evil. All this talk of hammocks convinced me to go buy one myself. I just hope it's as easy as you guys make seem to find good places to hang it along the trail.

that would depend entirely on where you are going. Below 10,000 feet, mostly forested areas - you're pretty much a shoo-in to find a couple trees 15-20 feet apart you can hang from.

Death Valley, any trail on a beach, 11,000 feet in the Sierras on miles of open granite slab, out in the middle of New Mexico ... you gotta get a little more creative.

dragoro
03-24-2011, 20:10
that would depend entirely on where you are going. Below 10,000 feet, mostly forested areas - you're pretty much a shoo-in to find a couple trees 15-20 feet apart you can hang from.

Death Valley, any trail on a beach, 11,000 feet in the Sierras on miles of open granite slab, out in the middle of New Mexico ... you gotta get a little more creative.

More the the AT, starting april 11. Heading north from hiawasse (where I left off last year) and hope to get at least through pennsylvania, time and health allowing.

Buffalo Skipper
03-25-2011, 09:37
More the the AT, starting april 11. Heading north from hiawasse (where I left off last year) and hope to get at least through pennsylvania, time and health allowing.

I am a committed hammock camper, but I would discourage you from takign the hammock unless you have a chance to work the bugs out. Everyone hangs different, and it is important to understand underquilts and how to use them. When I thru, I hope to hang the whole way, but I have been hammocking for some time and have fine tuned my gear.

Good luck, and try to hang before you go out. And visit hammockforums.net for a complete understanding of hammocking. Good group of people there, so ask questions. You will get good answers.

endubyu
03-25-2011, 09:47
I have a hammock also but this thread became hammock vs tent which IS the title of the thread but not exactly what the OP asked. We've shared that hammock hanging is preferred for ourselves, but in the situation stated is it best? They're only out for 5 or 6 nights and it's a group - size not indicated other than small. Will it be better for a group to hang individual hammocks or set individual tents or for the few nights they're out, would it be better to have one tent for the entire small group, ie 3 people in one tent or 3 people in 3 hammocks?

dragoro
03-25-2011, 10:01
I am a committed hammock camper, but I would discourage you from takign the hammock unless you have a chance to work the bugs out. Everyone hangs different, and it is important to understand underquilts and how to use them. When I thru, I hope to hang the whole way, but I have been hammocking for some time and have fine tuned my gear.

Good luck, and try to hang before you go out. And visit hammockforums.net for a complete understanding of hammocking. Good group of people there, so ask questions. You will get good answers.

I'm using a therma rest bag, a 20 degree bag. Also carrying a bag liner as well. Even on the coldest nights I can expect, between all that plus plenty of layering if I need it, I should be ok. Worse comes to worse I can have my tent sent to NOC for me.

onestepatatime
03-25-2011, 14:49
The size of our group is 3 and I was not sure if it would be possible on AT, franconia rdge to crawford notch at designated sites to string hammocks or each of us to share two person tents since we will be out for such short time. thanks again for all info

lori
03-25-2011, 14:53
Hammock, tent, whatever you use - it's always a good idea to set the stuff up at home and turn a sprinkler on, lay around in it, check for leaks and practice setting up.

Last time someone hauled the tent out after two years of storage on one of our overnights... heh. Great way to make sure it will rain buckets! don't try it out before the trip.