PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried using bothy bag as a 3-season shelter?

maybe clem
03-23-2011, 03:13
How do they hold up on long distance hikes of a month or more?

maybe clem
03-23-2011, 03:14
*a bothy bag

Franco
03-23-2011, 03:51
A bothy bag is an emergency/survival shelter.
That would tell you that is something people that have a choice would not use in a standard (non emergency) situation.
It is designed to keep you alive not to be a comfortable shelter .
But if you like the idea, then go for it...
Franco

maybe clem
03-23-2011, 04:19
I know. I just wondered if anyone had experience using one for an extended period.

mweinstone
03-23-2011, 06:08
i lived in a gortex bannana products bivi bag for about a thousand miles of trail when i was a kid. it sucked. as do all bivis, bags and half sacs. in related news, i once jumped off my dock as a kid into the water with a cinderblock tied to my waits and holding a trashbag full of air in the other. my plan, created from ideas seen on jach coustoue, was to breath under water. the rope broke and i let go of the bag of air when i hit the water.

moytoy
03-23-2011, 06:42
i lived in a gortex bannana products bivi bag for about a thousand miles of trail when i was a kid. it sucked. as do all bivis, bags and half sacs. in related news, i once jumped off my dock as a kid into the water with a cinderblock tied to my waits and holding a trashbag full of air in the other. my plan, created from ideas seen on jach coustoue, was to breath under water. the rope broke and i let go of the bag of air when i hit the water.
good that the rope broke! otherwise brain damage could have addled you:D

mweinstone
03-23-2011, 06:49
you prolly dont wanna hear about my umbrella flight atempts.

mweinstone
03-23-2011, 06:50
hippy parents dont understand hiker children. they shouldnt have exsposed me to mary popins . ever.

tuswm
03-24-2011, 18:39

I did something like this once at the age of 28, I was so young and dumb them. I tied cindy my waist and went for a swim in the ocean parallel to shore. the rope was about ten feet and I was in about 5 feet of water. it was a good work out, like dragging fat person. oh yea cidy is a cinder block that we work out with. I need work outs like this for my job, beach patrol. Well this day my quick release clip was broken so I just tied it on. after a mile I got stuck in a big rip, not usually a problem for me but it pulled me to deeper and deeper water. next thing I know I am in about 12 feet of water and I could not swim hard enough to keep cindy off the bottom. eventually I dove down and jumped off the ocean floor with cindy in my arms several times to bob up and down while I got air and could untie the crazy knot in the rope. I went back a few days later and brought cindy home. She lives under my porch till this day. Its a love hate relationship.