PDA

View Full Version : Distance Discrepancies

alphaPig74
03-23-2011, 07:27
Hi gang,

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on a mileage discrepancy for VA620 (trout creek) to VA311 (Catawba). I'm seeing conflicting data:

Map 4 (2007): 13.6 miles
Central VA guide (2001): 13.9
Central VA guide Distance Summary in the back (2001): 12.9
2009 Data book: 13.8
Rohlands AT Parking guide: 14

Anybody know what the most reliable resource is for confirming this stuff? I'm trying to keep track of my mileage and would like to be accurate.

Also, does anyone know of an online resource that keeps track of what date the latest guide books and maps have been printed?

Thanks a bunch,
Dan P (alpha pig)

Joey C
03-23-2011, 07:37
Not sure how this section has changed since 2001, but the trail changes each year in various spots. I wouldn't look for accuracy from a 2001 guide at all. The AT guide has the latest (and best in my opinion) data. Even after publication there are usually a few changes that come out, which is posted on the website and set via email to those who wish.

If you are that serious about tracking your mileage, I would suggest a pedometer. You can find some relatively inexpensive ones and track YOUR mileage very easy this way.

Papa D
03-23-2011, 07:49
don't recall the specifics of that area -trout creek, etc. but you can go to atdist.com for fairly good mileage and planning info - I also use the Thru-Hikers Companion and have found those mileages to be pretty spot-on. Of course it rarely matters to me if an objective is one or two tenths off - keeping track of your mileage is fun but trying to get it to the exact tenth isn't really that accurate anyway because unless you walk the trail in the exact way it is computed, you will always be off a little bit (i.e. - you walk the right side of a tree and I walk the left or you cross a stream on one set of rocks and I use the log). I certify marathon courses as a hobby and we measure (by cycling) by riding the shortest distance that the course could possible be run - vectors - cutting every corner possible. If you run a marathon that I certify at 26.2 m. with a Garmon at more or less middle of the road, you will find that you usually run about 26.45 or so. The most accurate way I can suggest is taking the data you have - 13.6, 13.9, 14.0, etc. and throwing out the highs and lows and averaging the others - it's still a bit silly.

Papa D
03-23-2011, 07:52
Yes - a pedometer as Deucalion suggests would work for you, but you are going to get mileages that are different from the various guides - see my post above. Heck, I can't even compute my lifetime miles to the closest one or two hundred - LOL

kayak karl
03-23-2011, 07:59
a pedometer is useless on trails. gps would be best'

but looking at info.

Map 4 (2007): 13.6 miles WHAT IS THE VERTICAL EXAGGERATION?
Central VA guide (2001): 13.9 TOO OLD
Central VA guide Distance Summary in the back (2001): 12.9 TOO OLD
2009 Data book: 13.8
Rohlands AT Parking guide: 14 ITS A PARKING GUIDE LOL

that leaves you with 13.8 or 13.6

pick one.

Pedaling Fool
03-23-2011, 09:03
Those numbers are well within the tolerance of error for the AT:D

weary
03-23-2011, 10:55
No one is doing serious trail measurements except members of the 30 maintaining clubs. The clubs report year to year changes to the ATC, which publishes them annually in its databook. The trail guides for the most part copy the conservancy's data book for their mileage figures, though given the delays inherent in publishing a book, I suspect most use year old or earlier data.

Maine ATC updates its maps and guide book every few years, depending on how fast each edition is sold. Maine publishes it's own maps and guide. ATC performs that task for most, maybe all, the other clubs, I believe.

ATC certainly knows when it gets it's data and map changes. But I haven't seen a list of the dates for each map. The sale of maps and trail guides is a major source of income for MATC, and ATC. Since the issue by issue changes are increasingly insignificant, neither Maine nor ATC have much incentive to announce plans for new editions. To do so would depress the sale of remaining copies of the old, and sharply curtail an important revenue source.

Directors of each club know when a new edition is in the works, since many of us get pumped for information. But I haven't noticed any broad announcements to the hiking community saying, "hold off on purchasing the maps and guide books because a new edition is coming."

Blackbird
03-26-2011, 08:39
The various data books and maps just about never match in mileages.
This includes signs on the trail, as well.

I suppose you could average them all to get a good figure?