PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Winter Hiking Footwear?

SPOON1
01-15-2005, 09:23
During the warmer hiking times I use NB 806 on my feet. Suggestions please on lightweight winter hiking footwear and snowshoes?

HikeLite
01-17-2005, 10:57
You could try Neos Overshoes (www.overshoe.com). I use the Neos Explorer overshoes over my trail running shoes, with Northern Lites Backcountry snowshoes (www.northernlites.com). Neos is coming out with a new version called the trekker, made specifically for trail running shoes, but it is not insulated like the explorer is.

chris
01-17-2005, 15:05
I use a pair of Scarpa Manta M4s. Mountaineering boots, so not light. But, solid, snowproof, and good for snowshoeing.

David S.
01-18-2005, 14:08
Yesterday while day hiking in the Smokies in 10 to 25 degree temps, I wore my NB 587s and my Fox River X-static liner socks. Thats all. My feet were warm the entire hike and I am baffled as to why. The only time my feet started to get cold was at Icewater spring shelter during a lunch break.

icemanat95
01-18-2005, 14:46
That's a hard one.

Lightweight

Winter

Snowshoes

First off snowshoes tend to create cold spots under the toes where the metal crampon plates are. so good insulation becomes a premium feature, most lightweight shoes cannot provide this over an extended period. The binding of snowshoes also tends to create pressure points where the straps come across the shoe, a firmer shoe such as a full-grain leather boot or plastic boot, protect better against this and provide a more supportive interface between the snowshoe and your foot.

Winter conditions generally involve cold, wet and slippery hiking conditions. Running shoes provide excellent agility, but little support, almost no warmth and poor traction in snow and on ice (though nothing but crampons or steel studs provide much traction on ice). I would look toward full leather of plastic mountaineering boots and get the best fit you can get.

Your other option is to look for insulated, light duty hikers (several makers provide them including Vasque and Merrell. They aren't typically made for hard duty, but will handle most non-alpine type hiking and snowshoeing. Check Campmor for good deals. EMS, REI and other larger retailers may stock them locally.

Klaushike
01-19-2005, 05:53
Actually I've been advised about Salomon Pro Trek 6 GTX. Maybe anyone has some other suggestions ?!

Basilio
01-19-2005, 06:04
Try Hi-Tec boots. Fairly cheap (last time I bought a pair, around $45) and reasonably comfortable.

steve hiker
01-19-2005, 06:51
I don't know why you'd want lightweight footwear in the winter. Assuming normal, cold winter temps, you want a boot that will have the insulation to keep your feet warm and provide support for hiking in the snow. I've hiked in the snow in the Smokies in winter in my Vasque Sundowners, and I wouldn't use anything else. They're "heavyweight" at 3 lbs/pair, but you need a full boot, preferably leather. Snowshoes I can't comment on.

icemanat95
01-19-2005, 09:37
Snowshoes can be problematic as there are so many good models out there now. It used to be that you only had a few choices, it was Green Mountain wood and rawhide, Tubbs wood and Rawhide or Sherpa aluminum. Now Tubbs has several styles of aluminum, some Wood and rawhide ones, plus there is MSR with two styles, Atlas with a half dozen families in three to four sizes each, Redfeather, Sherpa, a half dozen bargain basement brands, etc.

I wear Atlas 1022's, My wife uses Tubbs, My parents use Tubbs Mountaineering grade shoes (my dad needs the toughest snowshoe he can find). I've also used Sherpas and a variety of wood shoes. MSR shoes may fit your bill pretty well though since they are lightweight and fairly rugged without being too heavy. Remember that once you add a pretty durable boot and a snowshoe together they are going to add up to quite a bit of poundage on each foot. That can put a heck of a strain on the knees. So don't push too hard at first or you'll end up with a repetitive strain injury in your knees that could sideline you for a while. When I winter hike, I refrain from using the snowshoes or crampons as long as possible. It just wears you out to be hauling the boot and the appliance with each step, even for trail-trained muscles.

The Old Fhart
01-19-2005, 11:41
Icemanat95-I've owned Sherpa snowshoes for years but here is some info you might want to know that I found on line:

Ideal Manufacturing (the company that owns Sherpa) has chosen to stop production of the Sherpa Snowshoes product line. They have been actively seeking a buyer for the company...but at this point there has been no deal.

Unfortunately, with the company having ceased production, all warranty work has ceased as well. This means that any repairs your Sherpa snowshoes may require cannot, at the present time, be performed. This might mean you can find some good deals on their snowshoes as close-outs.

Basilio
01-20-2005, 11:49
:-? I wouldn't worry that much about lightweight footwear- a good synthetic or wool sock (Patagonia, Columbia) will grade it; but offcourse don't persist on cotton socks. The ones I told you will dry out quickly and keep your feet warm even if they get wet.

I don't know why you'd want lightweight footwear in the winter. Assuming normal, cold winter temps, you want a boot that will have the insulation to keep your feet warm and provide support for hiking in the snow. I've hiked in the snow in the Smokies in winter in my Vasque Sundowners, and I wouldn't use anything else. They're "heavyweight" at 3 lbs/pair, but you need a full boot, preferably leather. Snowshoes I can't comment on.

Footslogger
01-20-2005, 12:47
I'm not a huge fan of Gortex but in under cold and relatively dry conditions it can work quite well in footwear. If you have good circulation and are not prone to getting cold feet when you hike, a well made pair of Gortex lined trail shoes and a pair of high gaiters may be all you'd need. Of course if the snow is deep and somewhat wet you'd be better off with better foot protection.

I've hiked very comfortably in ankle/mid-calf deep snow with a pair of Montrail Javas (Gortex Trail Shoes) and a pair of water repellant (non-Gortex) high gaiters.

'Slogger

mingo
02-16-2005, 16:09
i wear sneakers and seal skins as socks and in the ice i put on little slip-on cletes that i got at the hardwear store. boots suck. when they get wet, they won't dry and they freeze like rocks. at least when sneakers freeze overnight, you can loosen them up without too much trouble in the morning and off you go again.

mingo

fiddlehead
05-02-2005, 00:02
If you keep moving, trail runners are fine in the winter as long as you keep dry (preferably fleece) sox in your pack for sleeping. The problem is when you stop. That's when my feet tend to get cold. I believe the Seal Skins is an excellent idea. (i used to use them but lost them and now just use fleece 200 weight) I add gaiters if i think it's going to snow and have my homeade sil nylon ones to keep the snow out. I even went to 20,000 feet in the Himalayas last March in my "Montrail Vitesse". (it was 21 days, not 150 like the AT)
If you drill about 7 small holes beforehand, (1/16 is big enough) and carry 1" pan head sheet metal screws (self tapping is what i use), when you get to the ice, screw these into your soles and they will give you great traction. They don't weigh much, are cheap, and they really work! When you are past the ice, simply take them out and put them back in your first aid kit.
And again, i'd like to say that the shoes should be very very comfortable. I like to buy them 2 sizes too big, winter or summer. (no blisters that way) fh