PDA

View Full Version : The best qualities in a hiking partner would be....tips

skooch
03-23-2011, 15:54
What are your best tips for those who hike together? I've never hiked long distance with a partner. I wonder if I would be a good partner for someone else. It occures to me that some of us could get a bit anoying mile after mile for weeks on end. How would you HYOH in this case?

sbhikes
03-23-2011, 15:56
A good hiking partner doesn't have to hike together all the time or talk all the time when we are together. A good hiking partner has all the things they need to do the hike all by themselves.

mad4scrapping
03-23-2011, 15:58
A good hiking partner is someone who can compromise. If one person really needs to stop, for example, the partner will either stop or wait further along the trail. It's helpful to have a partner who hikes at a similar speed, this is not critical.
For me, a good hiking partner is someone who shares my irreverant sense of humor and doesn't take himself or herself too seriously.

Cookerhiker
03-23-2011, 16:06
I don't think you necessarily need to hike the same pace although a 3.5 mph and a 1.5 mph probably wouldn't match well.

What's more important to me than pace is time preferences. If you like to get up early enough to hike at first light whereas your partner sleeps in until 8, I'd question how compatible you are. And if you always want to hike until dark whereas your partner wants to call it quits around 5, you're not a good match either (except for times of year when it's dark at 5).

It also helps to be on the same wave length re camping. Shelters vs no shelters, tenting vs, hammocking, dry camp/dry meals vs. cooking and water use aren't necessarily showstoppers but they should be talked through with an understanding reached.

Penguin
03-23-2011, 16:12
A good hiking partner always has a small bottle of 100% puro de agave tequila with him/her, and is always willing to cheerfully share with his buddies!

Smile
03-23-2011, 16:38
1. Loyal / team player
2. Sense of humor.
3. Doesn't call home every night on their cell.
4. Knows basic outdoor rescue basics (symptoms of hypothermia, etc.)
5. Keeps a SMILE on their face regardless of how crappy things get!

Also, a buddy who really likes to carry lots of extra food helps.

harryfred
03-23-2011, 16:45
A good hiking partner is one that makes the same miles per day you do. Doesn't matter how you get there.
Someone whose company you enjoy at the end of the day. There are some people I have hiked with that meet no other criteria but this one and I will hike with them for short hikes.
Someone you can trust. Someone to watch your back and your pack.
Someone with the same camp style will fit with yours.

EastCoastFeastCoast
03-23-2011, 16:57
A good hiking partner always has a small bottle of 100% puro de agave tequila with him/her, and is always willing to cheerfully share with his buddies!

+1 to that... "Apple Pie" is also acceptable.

On an additional note, chocolate doesn't hurt either!

flemdawg1
03-23-2011, 16:58
Similar temperment (grouch, whiner, low key, even tempered, etc)
Similar hiking performance (daily mileage, pace)
Similar camp habits (early riser, night owl)
acceptance (of others, of the situation/environment)

My main hiking buddy and I, while having very little philosophically in common, (He's an agnostic liberal, I'm a right-wing Christian) we get along great on the trail due to our mutual respect, sense of humor, and love of nature.

tuswm
03-23-2011, 17:01
opposite sex
same MPD
good mood
doesn't mind snoring
good cook
fights over who gets to carry what not fights over who has to carry what.

Many Walks
03-23-2011, 17:08
Good partners in general will carry their share of weight, share chores, keep track of each other, provide support if the other is having difficulties, compromise on things where interests differ, input ideas, and not criticize if the other has a different way of doing things.

Each person must know their own needs and those of the other person. Consider this. If one person is a “destination” type who puts their head down and hikes straight from point “A” to point “B” without seeing sites along the way, limits zero days and is hell bent on just finishing. On the other hand, the other hiker is a “journey” type who wants to see some important sights along the way, enjoy the vistas, photograph, take some breaks, and try to explore the history and culture along the way. If one attempts to totally control the hike and dominate the other, someone will be very disappointed without some compromise and the adventure will just become a chore. It's important to know what each wants to get out of the hike and try to approach it in a way to achieve the needs for both.

A lot of people intend to hike with others, but split up because of incompatibility. In the end it's important to be able to HYOH as closely as possible to be happy with the adventure.

10-K
03-23-2011, 17:28
That just depends.... 50 miles and under, the ability to carry a conversation and yet not talk all the time. I had the good fortune to hike with WB member Lazarus this past November on an overnighter and it was great fun. At the end of the day I felt like going on so he stopped and I kept going for a few hours.

50 - 200 miles it starts getting trickier...I've hiked that far with my son but nobody else.

Over 200 miles I wouldn't even try to hike with a partner. It would never, ever work.

Pedaling Fool
03-23-2011, 17:38
The only qualities needed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3aLCdxo7b0)

stranger
03-23-2011, 18:39
1. Liked to hike the same distances as me
2. Had a somewhat similar pace
3. Had similar financial resources
4. Had similar views, politics
5. Didn't take themselves too seriously

Without all of those points covered off, I wouldn't be willing to hike with someone long term.

In any context, hiking with another person simply adds another dimension to long distance hiking, managing personalities...I for one would rather not have to do that, especially along the AT where there is no lack of people outside of winter.

sheepdog
03-23-2011, 19:28
The best qualities in a hiking partner would be?

Someone you don't feel bad about leaving if it doesn't work out.

hikingshoes
03-23-2011, 19:34
RESPECT,for each other goes along way with me.HS

fredmugs
03-23-2011, 20:07
I have the greatest hiking partner on WB. He hikes NOBO and I hike SOBO.

CrumbSnatcher
03-23-2011, 20:48
the best partners have 4 legs;):cool:

mweinstone
03-23-2011, 21:05
i have an imaginary hiking partner since forever...i allways pretent susquatches are following me and kinda hiking along , but off in the woods next to me by like a couple hundred yards or less.i imagine they like me cause im alone and theyve seen me since i was young. yes, susquatches make the best hiking partners.

bigmac_in
03-23-2011, 21:18
What are your best tips for those who hike together? I've never hiked long distance with a partner. I wonder if I would be a good partner for someone else. It occures to me that some of us could get a bit anoying mile after mile for weeks on end. How would you HYOH in this case?

I thought you misspelled the last word in your title for the thread. I was just going to agree. :D

The Counselor
03-23-2011, 21:22
The best partner never whines or complains. Instead, he or she enjoys and makes the best out of every situation. The rest is gravy.

fiddlehead
03-23-2011, 21:56
The perfect hiking companion is not out there.

My favorite is me.
We have a lot in common. (but not everything)
He's heard all my stories already so, i don't have to repeat them.
We get up around the same time (usually)
We don't mess around and get out of camp shortly thereafter.
We start out slow and go about 4-5 miles before our first break and a nice long break.
We then hike about 3-4 hours without stopping.
Take a long lunch (at least an hour, maybe 2)
Start out at our normal 4 mph pace, hike another 3-4 hours without stopping.
Stop and take about 1 hour for a nice dinner.
Hike another 4-5 miles until dark and camp wherever we are at that time.

When we get to town, we like to stealth camp in town cause are already trying to save money for next year's thru.

We like pizza, steaks, burgers, Pink floyd, girls, rain, mud, snow, pot, adventurous trips.

We don't like whiners, lettuce, fat people, religious nuts, shelters, gearheads, Elvis, and people who tell us we hike too fast.

How many other people do you think i'm going to find with all of those traits?

Bonjour
03-23-2011, 22:29
Someone who still has a good attitude even if they are tired, hungry, sweat, stink, sore, have blisters, and are facing a 2000 ft. climb.

skinewmexico
03-23-2011, 23:31
Provides companionship, without depriving you of solitude. Or a really hot chick. Ha!

delaford321
03-23-2011, 23:38
I think the perfect companion is someone with a sore throat that cant talk.

Trailweaver
03-24-2011, 04:31
When I first started hiking the AT, I hiked with a guy friend. He had thru hiked the trail years before, and is a professional nature photographer. He knew things about hiking and the trail that he shared to make the day interesting, and was so generous to share his time with me. These are just some of the good traits he had.

1. He was the stronger hiker, so he carried a bigger load. I took my own gear, but he took the tent. When I was tired, he put up the tent.
2. We hiked together, and although I was slow, he never complained. When he was sure I was O.K., he would hike ahead, leaving me some solitude, but never feeling alone.
3. He allowed me to sleep late because he knew I was not a "morning person." He was, so he got out quietly and went about his business of making photos.
4. He built a great fire just for me when it was chilly. Later, when he found that I didn't really have to have a fire, we just shared hot drinks made on the stove. It was like he read my mind.
5. He was willing to go out in November even though he knew it would be freezing, and after the first night was so miserable and we realized that I would never make it through another one, we went home and he didn't say "I told you so."
6. Our diets aren't really similar so we carried our own food, but he was totally willing to share when we found we wanted to.
7. He taught me to take off my boots and air out my socks at lunch, relaxing and eating apples at the old cheese factory site. (How was I going to know to do that?)
8. He did more than one shakedown of my pack until I got it right.
9. He lets me borrow gear anytime if I need something because something tore up.
10. He moved a rattlesnake off the trail for me so I wouldn't have to hike around it in the high grass (and maybe step on another one).

Best gift of all: He has given me the confidence to go out on my own, alone. I miss his company in the worst way, but his time is limited so I have to respect that. It just helps so much that he got me started and that now I believe I can do it.

Marta
03-24-2011, 06:35
Your friends are not necessarily your best hiking partners and your best hiking partners are not necessarily your friends.

Convenience dictates a lot of it, i.e., they have (at least temporarily) the same goals and abilities that you do.

They don't annoy the !@#$ out of you, and vice versa. For me that means people who are irritable, moody, and/or needy.

Newb
03-24-2011, 07:46
- The ability to carry two packs without complaint, including a case of beer on ice.
- A willingness to cook for two every night
- An uncanny knack for giving the perfect foot massage

stonedflea
03-24-2011, 09:42
When I first started hiking the AT, I hiked with a guy friend. He had thru hiked the trail years before, and is a professional nature photographer. He knew things about hiking and the trail that he shared to make the day interesting, and was so generous to share his time with me. These are just some of the good traits he had.

1. He was the stronger hiker, so he carried a bigger load. I took my own gear, but he took the tent. When I was tired, he put up the tent.
2. We hiked together, and although I was slow, he never complained. When he was sure I was O.K., he would hike ahead, leaving me some solitude, but never feeling alone.
3. He allowed me to sleep late because he knew I was not a "morning person." He was, so he got out quietly and went about his business of making photos.
4. He built a great fire just for me when it was chilly. Later, when he found that I didn't really have to have a fire, we just shared hot drinks made on the stove. It was like he read my mind.
5. He was willing to go out in November even though he knew it would be freezing, and after the first night was so miserable and we realized that I would never make it through another one, we went home and he didn't say "I told you so."
6. Our diets aren't really similar so we carried our own food, but he was totally willing to share when we found we wanted to.
7. He taught me to take off my boots and air out my socks at lunch, relaxing and eating apples at the old cheese factory site. (How was I going to know to do that?)
8. He did more than one shakedown of my pack until I got it right.
9. He lets me borrow gear anytime if I need something because something tore up.
10. He moved a rattlesnake off the trail for me so I wouldn't have to hike around it in the high grass (and maybe step on another one).

Best gift of all: He has given me the confidence to go out on my own, alone. I miss his company in the worst way, but his time is limited so I have to respect that. It just helps so much that he got me started and that now I believe I can do it.

this sounds perfect. :) it sounds a lot like my hiking buddy i had back in december for my first time out. i was slower than he was, but he'd wait for me if he got too far ahead. he understood when i wanted to stop and take pictures. we didn't talk all the time. we took extended breaks in the sunshine and we were both okay with it. we offered each other food from our own packs... he had dried bananas and i'd brought nutella. who wouldn't enjoy a swap on that? :)

i'd say that the best hiking partner for me right now is one who is more experienced, simply because i've done less than 100 miles. but i don't need someone who's going to shove their proven methods in my face and have a "this is what i did and it worked for me, so it should work for you, too" attitude. i'm stubborn, and i learn by doing. if i think i need a scarf, let me haul my scarf around for five days and if i never pulled it out, i'll leave it behind next time. don't go through my gear and tell me i won't use it or i won't need it or ask me why i'm bringing something.

basically, the best hiking partner is one who educates without being condescending. :) ask me to help look for widowmakers when we're setting up camp to teach me that i don't need to pitch a tent under a rotten tree. ask me to watch the time on our water after you've added the drops. tell me to listen for the "snap" of decent firewood even if it's damp.

a sense of humor is a MUST as well. my favorite jokes are helen keller jokes. ya gotta be able to put up with me.

garlic08
03-24-2011, 15:29
I completely agree with the point made above that each hiker needs to be independent and strong enough to go it alone at any time. That means, to me, even carrying separate sets of maps and coming to critical navigation decisions separately, even splitting up if you disagree.

I also agree with the personality trait of being able to "buck it up" in adversity and being able to either give or take strength when needed. Sometimes you need someone to hold you back from doing something foolish, and other times you need someone to keep you going when you're about to chicken out. It's a fine line sometimes and requires a high degree of trust.

The best hiking partners I've ever met, I've met on the trail. I can't imagine meeting someone in town, saying "Let's go hiking", and having it work out. I met my current (same sex) hiking partner on the PCT within 100 miles of starting, and we leap-frogged and occasionally shared the trail for nearly 2000 miles before we actually started spending all day together, hiking into and out of towns together, sharing lodgings to save cost, etc. By that time we had a deep trust and bond. Now we're pretty much inseparable, having gone on to hike the CDT, AT, AZT, and PNT together (though we still maintain 100% independence). We're friends off trail too, and travel to each other's homes for holidays, etc. It's an awesome partnership, but it took three months of hard hiking to develop.

Monkeywrench
03-24-2011, 15:49
A good hiking companion:
- carries more than their share of the gear
- is a gourmet camp cook
- is always cheerful and never complains
- is a talented musician
- shares mutual sexual attraction with me
- and the list goes on and on...

on_the_GOEZ
03-24-2011, 16:39

I try to reciprocate with a bottle of whiskey, namely Jameson. :banana

Otherwise, I would have to agree with opposite sex, simillar waking/sleeping times, and ABOVE ALL, someone who doesnt want to talk the entire time. This is important for me, as I try to enjoy the quiet as much as possible while hiking.

Now that i think of it, a sherpa would be a great hiking partner!