PDA

View Full Version : New year's models?

ToeJam
01-15-2005, 09:58
When a model keeps the same name but says "all new for 2005", how true is that normally?

I ask because I am seriously considering the Gregory G pack, just gotta get to the big city and an outfitter - I wanna hold one in my hands and feel it etc.

Last's year's model can be gotten for like $89 new or better these days. The 2005 model says there are changes and all (plus a green color I like WAY better lol, but not enough to justify $50 more for that reason alone) but is $139.

Will reviews of all new models come out soon do ay think? Do reviewers even make distinction between, say, the Gregory G 2004 and 2005 when reviewing?

Thanks for input - I am so ready to make my final choice and get my pack in my hands, but hesitate to pay $50 more if the real only difference is the color, ya know?

RedneckRye
01-15-2005, 11:10
The 2005 G is 200 cubic inches smaller and 5oz heavier (for a size medium). The pack bag is made from a heavier, supposedly more durable material, and has a new type of attachment at the bottom of the shoulder harness. They call it the Wraptor Stabilizer, the webbing is attached to the pack body at 2 points. It is sewn at the top of the stabilizer, feeds up thru a loop at the bottom of the padded part of the shoulder strap and then back down to the pack body, about 3 inches below where it is sewn. The adjustment buckle is at the lower attachment point. Oh yeah, the new green is much more subtle than the old blue.

ToeJam
01-15-2005, 11:22
Wow, thanks so much for the blow by blow, RR! :) I don't mind a few more ounces (its POUNDS lighter than my current pack still), so it almost sounds like I can justify not going with a color I can't deal with lol! If only it was a big sage-ier or olive but this green looks pretty subtle indeed.

It was because of the purple that I coudlnt bring myself to consider the Osprey one I was seriously looking at as a front runner lol!

Thanks again! :)

weary
01-15-2005, 12:47
....Oh yeah, the new green is much more subtle than the old blue.
Dark blue is notorious for attracting black flies. Green is better. Light green is ideal.

My next back pack will be light colored regardless of weight. All dark colors attract black flies. Once on the St. John River in Maine in June -- the worst time and place for black flies -- my light blue sleeping bag happened to be next to a dark blue bag. The dark blue was almost black with flies. My bag was totally free of the pests.

Weary

ToeJam
01-15-2005, 13:02
Really!? I had no idea, I guess we have been lucky so far with our packs then - only sectioned thru GA and part of NC (well and locally here in NY) and both have black packs now and haven't had a problem (knock on wood lol!) yet.

That's good info to know tho! Altho I have to say I am generally defintely more drawn to the darker and less "gaudy" packs, which mihgt come back to "bite" me later on lol!

ToeJam
01-15-2005, 13:27
OK sorry for so many questions about packs, I have never got to SHOP for one before - the one I have now was a hand-me-down from a chick about 4 inches taller than me and a cheap one (pack, not chick lol) at that. I will continue my questions in this thread rather than start ANOTHER tho...

So in looking and trying to size myself, I am bummed to see that I don't think I can go with a G actually. I *think* my torso is around 17 or 18 (hard for me to tell JUST where to measure at the bottom), AND I want a pack in the range of 3000 cu or so. If I go with a small or medium on the G, it will not be big enough capacity

So it looks like I might lean more towards a Z instead which would get me in the right range in a small or medium it seems.

BUT - I read something about there is not a good side pocket for water bottles on the Z, has anyone found that to be true? We dont use hydration systems, just the regular Nalgene bottles. He carries water all the time and me only if we are winding down for the end of a hike and might not find more before then etc. So not all that often, but still we have always carried on the outside, and I can't imagine where else I would if there is not suitable pockets?

Thanks AGAIN for the input! I swear, I do have some help/advice to offer in some areas, but not in this one. Buyng a pack and doing the research is EXCITING!

dje97001
01-15-2005, 13:59
It might be a little pricey, but I still stand by the ULA P-2. What a sweet pack. I considered both the G and Z packs and the Vapor Trail before finally deciding that the P-2 was what I was looking for. Awesome side pockets--not even close to "tight" when the pack is full, and with their draw cord it can't be beat. 47oz is a little on the heavier side compared to some stuff you can find, but it is a lightweight pack with suspension. Listed at 40lb max I think... at 40 it can start to feel uncomfortable, but between 30-35 it feels awesome.

http://www.ula-equipment.com

I just noticed you were looking for around a 3000cu in. pack... the P-2 is about 4000 (+ collar's 900). ULA also makes a lighter (24oz.) and cheaper ($125) that has somewhere around 3400 cu in. not counting the extension collar (+ 900). Never used it, but I'd assume the same quality product and customer support.

RedneckRye
01-15-2005, 15:30
The Z does not have any type of side pockets, you could attatch something like an OR water bottle tote to the belt to carry your water. I use an OR possum pocket on my hipbelt to carry my camera, map and data.
You might try to track down the Gregory Tega, the new women specific version of the Z. It has a bottle holster and is 2950 cubic inches in the mediun size.