PDA

View Full Version : Backpack suggestions?

MommaDuck
03-23-2011, 18:28
I'm having trouble finding a pack that fits me...I'm 5'2" with a long torso and athletic build. I've tried multiple Opsrey and Gregory packs but despite the sizing they all buckle at my shoulders and don't fit properly with the pack weighted. Did try a Deuter 60+10 that could adjust to fit my torso great, however, I don't want a pack that big for a thru hike. I recently have been looking at ULA Circuit...anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!

Ladytrekker
03-23-2011, 19:24
I have a ULA Circuit and I recently got an email from ULA that they now can put S straps just for women on their packs. I also have an Osprey Ariel 65 and hands down for me is the ULA Circuit. It is so light and makes a huge difference has pockets with zippers on the belt which is a real plus for me just very happy with the circuit.

MommaDuck
03-24-2011, 14:57
Appreciate that info. Thanks.

ncalcamper
03-25-2011, 20:27
Can you advise how much weight and volume you typically hike with?

lori
03-25-2011, 21:54
Have you been measured properly? You might do better with a pack that adjusts incrementally than with a fixed length frame - I know I do. Granite Gear has not-ultralight packs, just light, that adjust in inch increments and allow you to swap to a different belt/harness. It's hard to find a pack that is both adjustable this way, plus ultralight!

lmattson
03-26-2011, 09:36
While I think sometimes women-specific products are just a marketing ploy, there are two items on which women-specific geometry is a beautiful thing....backpacks and bike. If you have the typical shoulder width and torso length of a woman, a woman-specific pack will make all the difference in the world. From there, you just have to keep trying different brands. I have an Osprey. I tried every way imaginable to make that pack comfortable. Couldn't make it work. Then I got a Gregory Diva. LOVE it!!

4eyedbuzzard
03-26-2011, 11:47
You might also consider a custom made pack sewn to fit your unique physique (heh, that rhymes!). I believe Moonbow here in NH will make one and I'm sure there are others.

MommaDuck
03-26-2011, 13:22
Thanks for your suggestions! I plan on carrying no more than 30#s. Ideally around 25. I'll have to check out Granite Gear since the torso adjustment with a fixed frame seems to be what I need despite being measured and fitted for packs-even women's specific! I can't ever do anything the easy way!

ncalcamper
03-26-2011, 13:56
If you keep it truly under 30, and at your ideal weight, I recommend the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus and the Golite Pinnacle or Jam. The Golites are frameless packs, but they are women specific and work well for 25lbs, and up to 30, especially if you have a bear canister. The Mariposa has a very light aluminum stay system that helps with loads up to 30lbs. The Golite packs are made of more durable material than the Mariposa. The Mariposa has more gear stashing options, including the ability to stash your spare socks in the hipbelt, which increases the padding without the extra ounces!

MommaDuck
03-26-2011, 14:04
How do you find frameless packs? I've never used one...

ncalcamper
04-02-2011, 14:21
Here's the links to both. You can buy the Golite products at other places, but you can only buy the Mariposa at Gossamer Gear.

http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/mariposa-plus-ultralight-backpack.html

http://www.golite.com/carry-gear/womens/backcountry-ultralite

MommaDuck
04-08-2011, 06:54
Another question...does anyone have experience (and how was it) using a Granite Gear Vapor Ki for a thru hike? Also any suggestions for packing a Thermarest Z-lite sleeping pad? I'm struggling with packing it inside vs. outside my pack. I have a Dueter ACT lite 45/10 but am wanting a lighter pack-I'm looking at Granite Gear, Gossamear Gear or ULA Circuit. Thanks for any suggestions!

Amanita
04-08-2011, 07:14
...Also any suggestions for packing a Thermarest Z-lite sleeping pad? I'm struggling with packing it inside vs. outside my pack.

I've never had a z-rest, but I pack my ridgerest (other closed cell pad) on the outside of my pack. I either put it between the top lid and the body, or put it under some of the compression straps. I like to take out my ridgerest to sit/lay on during longer breaks. Beats sitting on hard rocks or mud.

EBC
04-09-2011, 21:42
I'm having trouble finding a pack that fits me...I'm 5'2" with a long torso and athletic build. I've tried multiple Opsrey and Gregory packs but despite the sizing they all buckle at my shoulders and don't fit properly with the pack weighted. Did try a Deuter 60+10 that could adjust to fit my torso great, however, I don't want a pack that big for a thru hike. I recently have been looking at ULA Circuit...anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!

Sounds like we might have a similar build. I have an 18" torso and i'm 5'3". Wide bony shoulders, tiny ta-tas, narrow hips, the grand slam of backpack fitting fun. Athletically built on my better days, but just plain old bony on others. :rolleyes: I am having the same issues as you, and i went with a Circuit. FYI, the torso is fully adjustable on the Circuit, it comes in four sizes and it's secured to the pack with velcro so you can put it anywhere you want. Things only get hairy if you're between sizes... see below.

First off the customer service has been absolutely exemplary. The owner (Chris McMaster) is a super pleasant guy and he answers emails very quickly. Shipping has been VERY fast and the quality of the gear is as good or better than the big guys Osprey, GG or GoLite, you can't go wrong by at least giving his stuff a shot.

I first ordered a small with S-straps after talking to him about the options and my weird shaped body. I immediately hated the S straps--too curvy, kinda chokey, and pinched under my arms. In addition i was maxing out the torso length so I exchanged for a medium with J straps. The longer torso and J straps were more comfortable, but they are presumably sized to accommodate a man's bulging shoulder thews so the sternum strap goes no higher than my bustline. :( awkward. Sigh...

So my happy ending is yet to come... YMMV. If you decide to go the ULA route you might consider ordering several packs/strap style combos if there is no ULA retailer near you in which to try them out. Kinda wish i had done that, it would have saved Chris some trouble. :p

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

MommaDuck
04-10-2011, 18:34
Thanks EBC! Very helpful and I think I will give orderly different pack/straps sizes a try. The pack I have found that works the best so far-FYI-is Deuter ACT lite 45+10. Very comfortable and am taking it out this weekend for a long weekend on the Trail in the Shenandoah. The weight is 3lbs. 5oz.,not bad but I am trying to find a lighter pack to thru hike with in the next year. Thanks for your help.

tuswm
04-20-2011, 11:29
While I think sometimes women-specific products are just a marketing ploy, there are two items on which women-specific geometry is a beautiful thing....backpacks and bike. If you have the typical shoulder width and torso length of a woman, a woman-specific pack will make all the difference in the world. From there, you just have to keep trying different brands. I have an Osprey. I tried every way imaginable to make that pack comfortable. Couldn't make it work. Then I got a Gregory Diva. LOVE it!!

GF currently has a Osprey ariel 65 and I have the mens version. I have tried to measure them in every way possible and can find NO DIFFERENCE at all. The only difference between the womens ariel 65 large and the mens atmos 65 medium is color.

I am in here because she can NOT get comfortable in her pack and wants a new one before our big summer hike.

Dogwood
04-20-2011, 23:46
You're getting there. Don't give up without getting the pack right!

1)It would help if when looking for a pack you had a torso length measurement not just a generic long torso length. Reason: different backpack companies can have different ideas of what constitutes long torso! And, should you cross over to being open to both men's and women's packs what constitutes long is different. Compare apples to apples! You should professionally have had your torso length measured. If not you should do that first!
2) Have a narrowed range idea of what wt you will generally haul in your pack and the volume of that gear! That will narrow down the number of packs you should/might try on! Sounds like you got the carrying wt narrowed!
3) Have a good idea of what is the max wt of just the pack you are willing to allow yourself. You can get OVERLY concerned about this and go down a road where you limit yourself to packs that are light/UL at or below the max pack wt that you initial were seeking BUT not fit well. Be careful here! It's better to get a pack that weighs a bit more than what you initially desired but fits well rather than the other way around! I'm an ULer so I'm not just saying that to push a heavier conventionally weighted pack on you!
4) Think of the pack features you desire and what you need. (hip belt pockets, wide beefy shoulder harness straps, suspension, frameless, with a internal frame(frame sheet, etc), shovel(rear pocket), adjustable side pockets, brain, etc. What are you willing to hike with? What are you willing to live with? You might find that some UL packs are not as fully featured as some of the lighter mainstream packs like Deuter, Gregory, Osprey, North Face, etc OR you might encounter something like an UL frameless pack that is an integral part of a packing system or you need another piece of gear, such as a particular type of sleeping pad to make the pack fit/ride correctly.
5)Strongly consider woman's specific models! They are typically made for what women specifically require! Some pack manufacturer's packs are not much different between male and female. More reputable companies as listed above ride different depending on if made for a woman or man! Some pack manufacturers, especially some UL companies, make unisex packs!

Packs buckling at the shoulders? where??? --- Shoulder straps? Rear frame sheet? Back panel? --- Could determine what's not right!

Fully loaded? How was it fully loaded? What were the heaviest/heavier items stored in the top of the fully loaded pack? Volume filled to or near capacity? In the recommended wt carrying range? Could effect carrying comfort and/or fit and/or account for the buckling!

How was the pack cinched? In what order? hip belt, shoulder straps, load stabilizers, hip belt stabilizers, etc. Can effect how the pack rides and account for buckling at the shoulders!

Who measured and matched you to a pack? Who fitted you? Professional backpack fitter I hope!

Some(certainly not all) UL pack companies that can have more adjustable backpacks ie; adjustable torso, adjustable possibly interchangeable sized hip belts, different sized shoulder harnesses, etc that might be worth checking out for fit should you still have fitting problems and still want that truly UL pack: ULA, Six Moon Designs(I like their adjustable torso length feature, something that I find hard to find in a truly UL pack), Mountain Laurel Designs(UL hardcore now!), Gossamer Gear, GoLite(starting to get more on the light side with this company when it comes to packs though, not a GREAT difference in wt with some of the same category packs when compared with some of Granite Gears packs, for example, Pinnacle and Jam are woman specific, certainly worth checking out though!), etc

Some companies that make light or lighter wt more featured packs AND MAY HAVE adjustable and/or interchangeable torsos lengths, hipbelt sizes, shoulder harness sizes etc: Granite Gear(close to what I would currently label as UL but IMO really one of(the?) the lightest of the light(the woman's specific Nimbus Meridian Ki and Vapor Ki might be where you want to start looking), Osprey(some light(lightish) wt packs with, IMO, great durability and suspensions), Gregory(I've not heard one bad word about the Woman's specific Gregory Jade owners I've reviewed and spoken to!, durabilty, better suspensions, typically fully featured packs), Deuter(am not that familiar with these packs, I will say I like the way you can change the volumes of some of their packs which changes the wt of the pack!), North Face(I believe their Terra has an adjustable torso length feature, I think it's a woman's model, might be wrong), Kelty(starting to get on the heavier side but opinions vary!, IMO certainly not UL!), Vaude, Lowe, etc

You have entered the "Spin Zone!" These days, with the marketing buzz words Light Wt./UL, just about every pack company says they make these kinds of packs! Beware! What constitutes light wt/UL is NOT light wt/UL for everyone!!! Be aware of just what you are comparing and how a company defines what!!!

Just keep it focus on a light wt/UL pack that has the volume and features you want THAT FITS YOU!

MommaDuck
04-21-2011, 21:54
GREAT suggestions and info. Thanks so much. Spent a long day at REI being measured and trying different packs(that they had in stock). Ruled out Osprey and Gregory. Deuter works because of the adjustable torso length and I really liked how comfortable that pack was. I'm still trying to find a more light weight /UL pack but have no where around here to try them out. My ideal load to carry is 25#s, no greater than 30#. I like waist pockets and hydration pockets but ultimately pack fit is more important to me. So, I'd love to hear people's experiences/suggestions about their packs.

tuswm
04-24-2011, 11:13
isnt there some where in VA to try on ULA packs?

MommaDuck
04-24-2011, 17:31
I'm sure there's got to be, haven't found it yet. Might just order one and see how it fits. Can always return it if need be.

tuswm
04-26-2011, 21:53
There is a store in Damascus VA that sold ULA packs and had them in stock.

MommaDuck
04-27-2011, 18:07
Sounds like a road trip to me!