PDA

View Full Version : Help with Seam Sealer

12ax7
03-23-2011, 19:34
hey all, anyone have any advice on what type of sealer to use on a Etowah ripstop 10x10 Tarp. after a few years the main seam is starting to drip. tnx jim.

Joey C
03-23-2011, 19:48
Silnet should work just fine.

LoneRidgeRunner
03-23-2011, 19:58
I've always had the best results with McNett never tried the one that the other poster suggested though..

leaftye
03-23-2011, 20:19
SilNet is a McNett product.

You might want to dilute that. There's also GE Silicone II or something like that available at hardware stores. Dilute that too. Use mineral spirits for diluting.

I've also heard that windshield repair solution works well and doesn't require dilution, but I'd only use that as a last resort or after trying it on scrap fabric.

LoneRidgeRunner
03-23-2011, 20:24
SilNet is a McNett product.

Thanks for catching me up on that. I wasn't aware.

leaftye
03-23-2011, 20:30
Thanks for catching me up on that. I wasn't aware.

No problem. Last year I tried to order SilNet in town up the trail. The guy I was talking to knew the difference between the SilNet and Seam Grip products by McNett, but he had to order it from another store. He told me that the guys at the other store didn't seem to know the difference between the two, so he'd have to press the issue. They still ended up sending a case of Seam Grip. It probably doesn't help that McNett has changed the name and nothing else of existing products. So yeah, I don't blame hikers when they show confusion about these products.

Papa D
03-23-2011, 22:21
after you seal it - dust the seals with a little baby powder - this will keep the seams from sticking together in a stuff sack

12ax7
03-23-2011, 22:48
tnx everyone for the great info.. i will see if i can find SilNet here. i thought abt melting a glue stick as a quick fix... also, tnx papa D for the baby powder tip!..

Stir Fry
03-24-2011, 10:11
Use any clear silicone diluted with mineral sprits 3 to 1 is good. Tape about a 1/2 in from seam. Paint on the silicone, and remove the tape before the silicone dries. After everything is dry. dust with baby powder. You will have a nice clean edge and no leaks.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 20:01
Use any clear silicone diluted with mineral sprits 3 to 1 is good. Tape about a 1/2 in from seam. Paint on the silicone, and remove the tape before the silicone dries. After everything is dry. dust with baby powder. You will have a nice clean edge and no leaks.

Yep, I'll DITTO the above, though I use 4-to-1 ratio, but any ratio in those ranges is okay.

It's good for any old silnylon that is beginning to leak. It'll rejuvenate it.

Rain:sunMan

WalkinHome
03-25-2011, 11:01
Tape and "clean" edges- what's up with that LOL. A foreign concept to me-function not form LOL or just lazy.