PDA

View Full Version : Gatewood Cape

10-K
03-23-2011, 20:53
So, I picked one of these up and spent some time with it out in the yard today.

I'm thinking this will be fun to play with on warm weather weekend hikes - 11 ozs for shelter and rain gear - just needs some stakes and a ground cloth.

I've got a cuben Lightheart solo on order which I'll use for longer hikes and shorter hikes with rain in the forecast but I definitely think the cape will see some use.

Anyone use the Gatewood as a goto shelter?

ScottP
03-29-2011, 15:28
I used one for the PCT. It was a good shelter and a less than mediocre piece of raingear. It's a good piece of gear for, like you said, trips where it's warm enough that you would probably hike in the rain without raingear.

If it's going to get cold poncho-tarps just don't cut it for me. Adding in an ultralight windbreaker helps a lot, but then you're only 1-2 ounces lighter than a tarp+rainjacket setup, and have a lot less function.

QiWiz
03-29-2011, 15:49
So, I picked one of these up and spent some time with it out in the yard today.

I'm thinking this will be fun to play with on warm weather weekend hikes - 11 ozs for shelter and rain gear - just needs some stakes and a ground cloth.

Anyone use the Gatewood as a goto shelter?

Have about 30 nights in mine; all 4 seasons; rarely use anything else as shelter; will be hiking 3-4 weeks on AT this year with it. Generally do not use it as raingear unless conditions are non-windy and trail wide and no brush/thorns to catch on.