PDA

View Full Version : If money was no object, what sleeping bag would you have?

The Counselor
03-23-2011, 21:26
Assume you can only have one bag and it's free.....

Pedaling Fool
03-23-2011, 21:31
http://www.hotfunnyclub.com/swf/sleeping-bag.jpg

fiddlehead
03-23-2011, 21:32
Sleeping bag is the ONLY Piece of gear i have where money is not a factor in the decision.
The bag i have is the bag i would want if i didn't have one: Hummingbird by FF. lightest shell and inside material they make, 800 down, and none of that DWR stuff.

mweinstone
03-23-2011, 21:38
my bag is my house.its built on a rock. marmot eq col-20 hotel marmot!

Sierra Echo
03-23-2011, 21:39

ewwwwwww!!!!!

Llama Legs
03-23-2011, 21:55
Western Mountaineering Sycamore MF

warm, roomy, sheds water (fairly well), zips fully open

Mountain Mike
03-23-2011, 22:05
Feathered Friend Winter Wren. Love the arm holes & foot opening so I can cook in it & don't have to get out of it if I have to make a nature call in middle of the night.

4eyedbuzzard
03-23-2011, 22:14
The one I have - Western Mountaineering Caribou MF. I don't usually hike in below 35 - 40 deg weather so I don't need or want to carry a heavier warmer bag. The Megalite would also do. I like full zippers and wide girth bags.

Ladytrekker
03-23-2011, 22:26
Montbell super spiral 15 degree

tuswm
03-23-2011, 22:38

That would be my number one choice to try. I have never even seen a spiral down hugger in person.

I love the shape and size of the marmot bag and they are the bast bags I have seen. They are also the best bags to sip together cuz of where the zippers are every bag has the same zipper from the womens short to the tall mens. now because money is an object for me I have the 650 fill versions but if money was no object I would get the lighter versions. insert temp here.

Ender
03-23-2011, 23:04
The bag I already own... the Western Mountaineering Ultralite;
http://westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=17
It's the perfect bag (for me) for 98% of the hiking that I do.

skinewmexico
03-23-2011, 23:29
Probably a Nunatak Arc Alpinist. Followed closely by either a WM or FF.

delaford321
03-23-2011, 23:35

haha, the bag's got some muscles!

WILLIAM HAYES
03-24-2011, 00:13
marmot helium EQ the one I own now

Joker4ink
03-24-2011, 01:22
I second the Marmot Helium. Not just a great bag, its made in the USA!

trailangelbronco
03-24-2011, 01:30
I bought it last week. Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger #3. My new summer bag

Lone Wolf
03-24-2011, 01:50
Campmor 20* regular

WalksInDark
03-24-2011, 09:48
Any of the montbell super stretchy bags. The super spirals are not bad...but the original is like being inside nothing at all!

Blissful
03-24-2011, 10:01

This bag is great, btw

Buffalo Skipper
03-24-2011, 10:57
I would have two, but as you asked for one, I will limit my answer accordingly.

I would get a Hammock Gear 3-Season Burrow, with 900 fill and 1 oz overfill. This would keep me good to 15° or a little below. At 21 oz this would coomplement the rest of my gear perfectly for below 40° conditions.

I would choose a much lighter setup for warmer weather, but that is another post.

Raul Perez
03-24-2011, 11:12
I have mine.. Warbonnet 3 season Mamba... 19oz of sexy

leaftye
03-24-2011, 11:22
If it had to be a sleeping bag, and I could only have one, and it's the only thing I could use...

It would probably be a custom Stephenson Warmlite triple bag. Update the fabrics and upgrade the down in both the sleeping bag and air mattress and then tailor it for my frame to minimize excess weight.

slowandlow
03-24-2011, 15:21
The bag I already own... the Western Mountaineering Ultralite;
http://westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=17
It's the perfect bag (for me) for 98% of the hiking that I do.

Same here.

Tinker
03-24-2011, 15:26
If it had to be a sleeping bag, and I could only have one, and it's the only thing I could use...

It would probably be a custom Stephenson Warmlite triple bag. Update the fabrics and upgrade the down in both the sleeping bag and air mattress and then tailor it for my frame to minimize excess weight.
I had one. Too late, Gene, I sold it for the reasons you mention above, but mostly because the vapor barrier was built in. It was miserably hot above 40 degrees even with the thin top. IMO they should offer a vapor barrier-less thin top (maybe you could get it as an option?).

leaftye
03-24-2011, 16:49
I had one. Too late, Gene, I sold it for the reasons you mention above, but mostly because the vapor barrier was built in. It was miserably hot above 40 degrees even with the thin top. IMO they should offer a vapor barrier-less thin top (maybe you could get it as an option?).

Yeah, I was thinking about that vapor barrier. I might have a little extra custom work done to make it zipoff and to the side for when I didn't want it. The weight penalty shouldn't be that bad with fabrics like cuben fiber. That gives me an idea...

I've been considering making a multi-layer quilt, kind of like the Warmlite bag. Only the top half would flip over. Now I'm thinking I could add cuben fiber along the sides like Rayway anti-draft sheets. I could have it zip in the middle when I wanted the quilt to have a vapor barrier or leave it unzipped to prevent drafts. I've been planning a 0°F generously sized down quilt made with inexpensive materials that would weigh about 30 ounces. It might weigh the same or a little less with better materials, even with the added double layer and skirt/vb. Now I know a do it all quilt isn't the lightest way to do anything, but it's fun to come up with things like that.

Tinker
03-24-2011, 16:55
I'm pretty sure that anything made of cuben fiber is automatically a vapor barrier. I believe that cf is, by nature, a sealed, windproof, watertight material primarily used for racing sailboats. Am I incorrect?

Tinker
03-24-2011, 16:56
That should be racing sailboat sails. Check is in the mail. I should be able to edit in a week or so. :)

leaftye
03-24-2011, 17:17
I'm pretty sure that anything made of cuben fiber is automatically a vapor barrier.

You are correct. In my case, I would have the cuben fiber layer be even more convertible. Instead of just the top half, the entire thing could be pushed to the side. Then the quilt could be used as a breathable summer quilt or as a winter vapor barrier quilt.

I believe that cf is, by nature, a sealed, windproof, watertight material primarily used for racing sailboats. Am I incorrect?

Yes, although strangely enough it is proving to be more windproof than watertight. It's definitely good enough for a vapor barrier though. Hell, even goretex is a pretty good vapor barrier!

BradMT
03-24-2011, 19:30
My wife and I each have a Western Mountaineering Versalite... I want for no other for our BPing here in the Northern Rockies...

Dogwood
03-24-2011, 19:45
No doubt, despite all the website over the top marketing and sometimes confusing specs/ratings, the best sleeping bag in terms of constructions, materials, and weight I have ever seen are the Valandre Bags from France. They are rather hard to find in person to check them out though.

Western Mountaineering is right ther too.

Tenderheart
03-24-2011, 19:46

A Marmot Hydrogen or Helium. But it costs so much that I would be afraid to take it to the woods. Even if it were free.

litefoot 2000

Country Roads
03-24-2011, 20:32
Montbell UL spiral #2 (15 degree) bag, regular length, 2 pounds, 1 ounce - should cover everything but winter.
Please send Fed ex overnight, thank you!:banana