PDA

View Full Version : Olympic National Park In Late May

Jedeye
03-24-2011, 09:35
I have the opportunity to visit the Olympic National Park in Late May(26-31st) and i was told I may need Snowshoes in the high country. I was planning to take the Enchanted Valley Trail and then over Anderson Pass(4,464') and then over to Hayden Pass(5,847').

My questions is this - will I need snowshoes? I'm sure the valleys will be fine, but there are just a few passes and stretches where there could be a lot of snow lingering. Any advise on how much snow to expect in the Olympics + gear that would be helpful would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Cookerhiker
03-24-2011, 12:45
In early June of '98, I spent a weekend at Olympic NP while on a work-related trip to Seattle. I don't remember the specific elevation but I couldn't hike very high up at all. Now that was a big snow year, more than average. The next week I went to Crater Lake where the road was only partially-plowed; snow on the unplowed portion was 4-5' high.

sarbar
03-24-2011, 16:22
We had a ton of snow in Jan/Feb/Early March. Way more than usual. But even then, in the mountains snow holds into June/July on an average year, even on the dry side of the Olympics. You should expect to see snow at around 3,000 to 4,000 feet and up, particularly on the cold North facing slopes.
While you may not need snowshoes, you will want to consider crampons and ice ax with the training for it if you don't already have it.

As well plan for high water from meltoff and crossing blow downs in the valley, though the park does a good job of getting in and logging out.

Enchanted Valley is nice in spring time.

Jedeye
03-24-2011, 16:30
Awesome, thanks for the info guys!

Mrs Baggins
03-24-2011, 18:37
We were there in late May 2007 and there was deep snow up at the visitors center area. On the way up, at that time, the trails were all closed due to severe storms that had passed thru and taken down too many trees and done too much damage. I would think that in 4 years they would have cleared that up.

sarbar
03-24-2011, 20:18
The ONP is very good about trail repair, I can tell you that! :)

fiddlehead
03-24-2011, 20:56
Olympic National Park also includes the Rialto Beach trail which is awesome and won't have snow. Take a tide chart along and enjoy one of the finest trails in the US.