PDA

View Full Version : north carolina elevation

tagg
03-24-2011, 18:21
i'm starting to plan shelter reservations for a section hike through the smokys in may. on my profile map it looks like the 20 miles between mt. collins shelter and tri-corner knob shelter is relatively flat. is this true? we've been doing about 15 miles per day on previous hikes, but it looks like the 20 miles between those shelters might be easier than others. any thoughts/experiences?

Ox97GaMe
03-24-2011, 19:41
It is relatively flat, but there are several 300-500 ft climbs in that stretch, especially between Charlies Bunyon and Peck's. Chapman and Sequohia will also get your attention, since they will be near the end of the day and you will likely be tired.

But. that being said, that 20 miles of the AT in the park isnt too bad, compared to some of the other 20 mile sections you could choose. I would say that the hardest ~20 mile segments in the park are: Fontana to Derrick, Davenport to Peck, Spence to Collins)

Blissful
03-24-2011, 19:54
Unless you've got to hurry, I'd take my time and enjoy this beautiful part of the park on the AT.

The Solemates
03-24-2011, 20:01
we've done that section in a winter day with only 8 hrs of daylight. easily doable in a day. beautiful area though...would be nice to spend half an afternoon at charlies bunion if you had the time.

Pedaling Fool
03-24-2011, 20:11
i'm starting to plan shelter reservations for a section hike through the smokys in may. on my profile map it looks like the 20 miles between mt. collins shelter and tri-corner knob shelter is relatively flat. is this true? we've been doing about 15 miles per day on previous hikes, but it looks like the 20 miles between those shelters might be easier than others. any thoughts/experiences?
Once you get up into the smokies, it's pretty level, some exceptions...

What map are you looking at?

If it's the National Geographic elevation profile, that thing is absolutely useless. The scale is all wrong.

tagg
03-24-2011, 20:27
Once you get up into the smokies, it's pretty level, some exceptions...

What map are you looking at?

If it's the National Geographic elevation profile, that thing is absolutely useless. The scale is all wrong.

yeah, that's the one i've got right now. i ordered a trail guide, but it hasn't come yet.