PDA

View Full Version : Daily Schedule

ginkgo
03-25-2011, 09:41
I'm trying to get an idea of what a typical day on the trail looks like. Could you guys post a sort of "schedule" of a thru-hiking day? Like, what time do you get up, when do you start hiking, when do you stop for lunch, how long you hike for, when you set up camp, do you fall asleep immediately or bring entertainment for a couple hours?
I know it will vary a lot per person, but I'd just like a vague idea-- especially of how many hours people hike and when you set up camp.
Thanks so much! :sun

Pedaling Fool
03-25-2011, 09:46
It's a lot of walking, anything else happens without a plan/schedule. I'm not being facetious you're day is spent walking and walking and walking with other stuff thrown in.

That is why so many people don't complete a thru-hike.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2011, 09:54
I'm trying to get an idea of what a typical day on the trail looks like. Could you guys post a sort of "schedule" of a thru-hiking day? Like, what time do you get up, when do you start hiking, when do you stop for lunch, how long you hike for, when you set up camp, do you fall asleep immediately or bring entertainment for a couple hours?
I know it will vary a lot per person, but I'd just like a vague idea-- especially of how many hours people hike and when you set up camp.

up around 7, start walkin' around 8. long lunch break around 11 then quit walkin' no later than 4. i like campin' more than walkin' but i can walk 3mph no problem

Slo-go'en
03-25-2011, 10:26
It depends a lot on the weather.

Cold or rainy morning? - sleep in for a while and see if it improves.
Going to be a scorching hot day? - get up before dawn and put in 10 miles before noon.

How far to hike in a day depends on either the spacing of shelters or how far you want/need to go that day. Most people set up camp when they get to where thier going, do thier camp chores like go get water and cook dinner, then hang out until its dark and go to bed.

10-K
03-25-2011, 10:31
Up at 4:30 / 5:00, hiking by 6:00 at the latest. Lunch around 11:30, hike some more, break around 3:00, walk until dusk.

Rinse, repeat.

Painted Turtle
03-25-2011, 10:43
Up at 4:30 / 5:00, hiking by 6:00 at the latest. Lunch around 11:30, hike some more, break around 3:00, walk until dusk.

Rinse, repeat.

That sounds very close; up at 4:30/5:00, hiking by 6:00, stop take pictures, stop take pictures, (good day before heat and strong sun) Lunch around 11:00, hike some more, take some more pictures, Stop for day around 4:00. Set up sleeping Lean-to / Tent, get water for night and next day, 5:30 eat 9pm call it a day. About 8 hours hiking @ 1.5 MPH - 2.0 MPH depending on pictures :) equals about 12 - 16 mile day.

Rinse, Repeat :)

leaftye
03-25-2011, 12:40
Wake up about an hour before first light. Break camp quickly and start walking. Take 5 minute breaks once an hour for some foot care, snack and maybe a piss. Occasionally take a longer 15-20 minute breaks when I'm especially fatigued, or to stop to collect water, do laundry or find other hikers to chat with. Stop walking an hour before last light to make camp. That's my schedule with my current walking pace. When I get faster, my breaks will get longer.

ShelterLeopard
03-25-2011, 12:43

A schedule?

I wake up when I cease to sleep, make breakfast, pack up all my jazz, hike, then when I am ready to stop hiking, I stop and set up camp. Not much more to it.

You just do what you feel like doing.

ShelterLeopard
03-25-2011, 12:46
For me, everything changes depending on weather, temperature, and my mood. Occasionally I won't get up and out of camp until around 9- even 10. But usually I'm out at 8. Sometimes I'll leave earlier, but only if I feel like doing an early morning hike, or if I need to get into town before the PO closes. The earliest I ever got up and out was 4:00 (left the shelter by 4, awake around 3:15) because I needed to get to Damascus before the PO closed at 10am and I hiked fast. When I got to Damascus, I found out that they didn't close until noon...

sbhikes
03-25-2011, 12:58
Typical hiking day:
Up at 5:40, on the trail by 6AM. If lucky (no mosquitoes, nice place to stop) take a lunch break sometime, otherwise hike hike hike until sometime between 6 and 8PM. Journal and read guide book, fall asleep.

If it's a day where I'm closing in on town and I won't get to town until late in the afternoon, I'll take it easy so I can spend one more night on the trail. Then I'll mosey the last 5 miles or so into town with a big breakfast on my mind.

If it's a day where I'm getting back on the trail, I'll get a big breakfast and try to get back on the trail by 10AM if possible.

Best way to get an idea of the typical day is to read trailjournals.com

garlic08
03-25-2011, 13:06
I usually wake up at first light and pack quickly while eating a few fig newtons or pop tarts. I'll walk until the day warms up a little (an hour or two) and have breakfast. Some days I walk five or more miles before breakfast. The rest of my day is generally hiking for two hours at a time then a break for a snack, small meal, or maybe a short nap depending on weather. I'll stop for dinner in the early evening, then hike an hour or two afterward. Late evening is my favorite time of day for hiking and I try to make the most of it.

I like the two-hour increments of easy walking, covering up to 5 miles each. On the longest days of summer on decent trail I can do that five or six times. I get to see a lot of country each day doing that.

RevLee
03-25-2011, 13:17
Saw a picture once of someone's hiking to-do list:
- eat
- hike
- eat
- hike
- eat
- sleep

I would eat/pack, then hit the trail at 7-8. 10AM was Snickers time (5 min break). Lunch around noon (maybe 30 mins). Hike until 4-5. Breaks while hiking were just micro-breaks (1-2 mins) to catch my breath, let my heart rate settle down, or drink some water. Set up camp, eat a leisurely dinner, plan the next day, then get in sleeping bag and update journal. If still awake after that, I would read.

daddytwosticks
03-25-2011, 15:26
I'm not a thru hiker, just a sectioner. Love to hit the trail very early around first light. Take many snack breaks throughout day...no big mid-day meals. Tend to stop early by 3 or 4. Like to set-up camp, relax, air out bag and cloths, etc. In my bag drifting off to sleep by dark. No entertainment besides an occasional campfire. :)

Rick500
03-25-2011, 15:44
I'm absolutely not a morning person in my day-to-day life, but I really am on the trail. Not uncommon for me to get up a little before dawn and eat breakfast, and head out as soon as it's light enough to see.

Monkeywrench
03-25-2011, 15:45
Wake upo at sunrise. Eat a quick breakfast of cold cereal with powdered milk and water, followed by a cup of instant breakfast. Pack gear and start walking about 1 hour after first waking up.

Walk for 10 miles or so, then stop at convenient shelter or scenic spot or just a random rock on side of trail to eat lunch.

Walk another 10 or 12 miles to the next shelter or camping spot, then stop for night. Get and treat water. Wash up. Put on warmer clothes. Hang hammock. Cook and eat dinner. Go to bed. Read or listen to radio for a bit, then fall asleep.

Pioneer Spirit
03-25-2011, 17:36
Toss and turn all night, wake up 4-5 times and look at my clip watch. Roll over and take a whiz out of the side door without getting up. Finally get up when I see some light.

Pack up and get moving ASAP. Have something resembling breakfast along the way, maybe cereal with powdered milk. Take pictures and stop when I get tired for a few minutes. I will sit on my poncho-tarp with shoes off on hot days. Eat what is best described as lunch somewhere when the mood strikes me.

Stop about an hour before dark and set up the Hubba out of sight and get in the bag at dark and try to sleep over Owls, dogs, loud muffer-less automobiles, Whip-poor-wills while cursing the boulders and logs that appeared magically under your sleeping pad during the night.

Cook a Mountain house somewhere in this routine

Walking thoughts are directed towards my next cheeseburger or wishing I was off the trail and then when off the trail wishing I was back on the trail.

Somedays wish I could find water, some days curse walking through water.

Hiking is like a job, punch in the morning and do enough work not to get in trouble and punch out at night.

brian039
03-25-2011, 17:51
Up at sunrise (or before if I'm headed into town), then I take breaks at scenic spots or after climbs or difficult descents. Lunch is around 12:00 or 1:00 and usually isn't a long break because I tend to get bored or stiff. If possible, I would try to camp at a really awesome location with a view of the sunset or sunrise or wherever my trail friends decided to camp.

Town days are totally different. I like to camp just a few miles outside of town and b-line it in and take really long nearos and usually hike out mid-morning the next day.

In the Mid-Atlantic my strategy was just to do as many miles possible every day to get the heck out of the Mid-Atlantic.

The Whites will throw you a curve ball on your hiking strategy as well as being pretty tough. Maine's a tough state and you'll probably need to adjust there as well.

Weather is a factor as well. Basically your strategy is to adjust to whatever situation you're in and make the most of it and have fun!

ShelterLeopard
03-25-2011, 22:41
If you like to spend time in towns, Neroing is a great way to save money. Camp outta town like Brian said, nero a couple miles in, stay one night, nero back out. You get almost two full days, and only have to pay for one night wherever you stay.

sheepdog
03-25-2011, 22:51
wake up
walk
stop
walk
stop
walk
repeat as necessary

Northern Lights
03-25-2011, 22:59
Up between 4 and 5am perform bathroom ritual and then have breakfast

Like to get an early start on the trial

Noon I stop for lunch, how long I stop depends on what I'm eating. If it's a no cook meal at the most half an hour and if I'm actually pulling out the stove because I'm needing something warm I'll putz around for a little longer. I like to socialize with other hikers at this point as well.

Usually around 5pm I'm ready for supper and a warm fire, followed by getting to know other hikers if there are some around.

bed at the latest by 9, a little reading and journalling and

Next day start all over again

swjohnsey
03-25-2011, 23:29
I get up when the first bird sings.

I go to sleep when the sun goes down.

mweinstone
03-25-2011, 23:34
wake and bake breakfast and zero. repeat.

map man
03-26-2011, 00:58
I get up when the first bird sings.

I go to sleep when the sun goes down.

This hits the nail on the head exactly, if I'm hiking during the longest daylight months of May through August.

I might add that I quit walking when I get too tired or sore to enjoy walking any more that day, or two hours before sundown, whichever comes first.

I'm not one to take long breaks once I'm walking, but you may feel differently.

sheepdog
03-26-2011, 08:06
Get up in the morning about 6am
grab a little jelly, grab a little jam

get a piece of bread and put it in the slot
push down the lever and the wires get hot

Papa D
03-26-2011, 08:37
Wake - 5am
Out of bag - 5:15am
Coffee / Breakfast by 5:30 or so
Start hiking before 6am
rain delays things about 30 minutes for me

4 miles - second breakfast - figure out day's objective, look at guide, etc. - 8:30?
4 miles - snack, lunch, water - 11:00?
4 miles - more snack, water, maybe coffee or tea - 2pm?
4-5 miles - thinking about camping - walking into a town - whatever the plan is

Ideally, I finish my hiking day by about 4:30 pm - this gives me time to clean-up, organize things, journal, get water, make dinner, read, chat with folks, etc. - I like to try to sleep by around 8:30

If you start sleeping-in late and stumbling into camp late, you are probably trying to do too many miles - this will catch up with you. My suggestion would be to slow down until you can do the miles comfortably.

garlic08
03-26-2011, 09:26
...If you start sleeping-in late and stumbling into camp late, you are probably trying to do too many miles - this will catch up with you. My suggestion would be to slow down until you can do the miles comfortably.

Yes, this is very important. Whatever your pace and "schedule" is, it has to be sustainable for months at a time.

daddytwosticks
03-26-2011, 14:10
Like I said, I'm just a section hiker. Buy when I DO get an opportunity to do a long distance hike, I'm going to try and avoid sticking to any type of regimented schedule. My life if currently way too tied to the clock...hiking a thru will liberate me from this. :)

DavidNH
03-26-2011, 14:34

Well one's schedule varies from person to person. The great thing about backpacking is that there is no set schedule to follow.. unless you want to get somewhere in reasonable time. If you want to get somewhere, you'd best spend most of your day hiking.

but I'd say the schedule might look something like this: wake up at or around 7 am. Make breakfast. clean up, pack up. Hit trail by 8 am. Hike until lunch time (somewheres between 12 and 1). Stop for five to to min every hour or where ever it feels good to stop or there's a nice view. Have lunch for 20 minutes to an hour or more depending on how you feel. Then continue hiking until 5 pm or 6 pm and stop, hopefully at a shelter or designated camp site. set up camp. rest. socialize. make dinner. clean up, hang food. 8pm - 9 pm hit the sack. Sleep till 6 am or 7 am. then do it all over again.

David

Tenderheart
03-26-2011, 14:39
wake up
dread getting up
get up and break camp
stick several bars in mouth
stick several bars in pocket
hike all day
stick several bars in mouth while hiking
almost no sit-down breaks
stop and take spit bath at water source late in day
hike some more
stick several bars in mouth while hiking
stop
brush teeth
set up tarp
try to go to sleep
repeat

Blissful
03-26-2011, 14:43
Up 6:00AM
Out by 7:15AM
When I get to camp depends on my mileage for the day. Usually like to get in by 5 PM.
Bed by 8 PM, sometimes 7:30

I'm guessing all those who hike by 6 AM here go by headlamp. I tried that in the fall just to get trailside by 7 AM and ended up tripping a lot. Couldn't see well

fiddlehead
03-26-2011, 15:03
get up when it gets light out.
hit the trail as soon as possible.
walk all day.
stop to eat and rest when i get tired.
stop when it's getting dark. sleep within 15 minutes.

It's not rocket science.

Hikemor
03-28-2011, 08:34
Pretty typical: Get up and eat breakfast. Hike about four hours and think about what you will have for lunch. Stop and have lunch. Hike about four more hours and think about what you will have for dinner. Stop, make camp and have dinner. Think about what food to get at the next resupply. Sleep. Dream about what you will have for breakfast.

Pony
03-28-2011, 18:30
I usually wake up between 5am and 10 am, depending on whether or not there was whisky in camp the night before.

If I have coffee, I will drink coffee for an hour or two, if not, I ususally just hang around camp for a while.

Sometimes I eat breakfast in camp, other times I walk a few miles then eat breakfast.

Usually on the trail between 7am and 1pm.

Take a ten to twenty minute break every hour, unless there is a road leading to a store, then my break can last up to 3 hours.

Lunch could take from 1 hour to 4 hours.

If there are multiple nice spots to stop, my breaks may increase.

At some point in the day, I may or may not take a nap.

I usually walk til an hour or so before dusk, unless I find a really nice spot to camp, then I may set up as early as noon. Maybe earlier if there is a pond to swim in.

If the weather is really hot I sometimes sleep during the afternoon and hike til midnight or two am.

I have been know to take zeros or neros if the weather is really bad or really nice.

Although I shoot for 30 miles everyday, I usually end up somewhere between 0.5 and 23 miles.

sheepdog
03-28-2011, 18:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN8kAjbuCIA

Land_Shark
03-28-2011, 19:50
After the wee pee I usually start fire make breakfast (oat meal, coffee) strike camp by 4:30 have 10 miles by 9 or 10 (depending on terrain) long break thru main heat of day nock off another 6 or 8 and be in hammock by 9 pm and let the sillyness repeat itself.

Mountain Mike
03-28-2011, 20:30
Wake up, put water on stove for breakfast, pack, When water is boiling fix breakfast. Hike, if I come to a pretty point stop pull out book & camera & relax & snack, maybe nap. Hike till I find a nice spot for night. Collect water if not done yet. Start stove & dinner water. Set up tent. By now water is boiling so I cook dinner as I filter water. Eat & KP. Read Write in journal & plan for tomorrow

stranger
03-29-2011, 08:36
As others have said it depends on the day and my goals for that day, for me I like to be hiking before 8am, I find the early miles to be far easier than the later ones.

I'm not a big fan of breaks, I only stop when it's necessary...while hiking, I prefer to hike.

I like to be in camp just before dusk, maybe 30 mins or so before it starts to get dark, then it's dinner time, throw the bear bag (or possum, or dingo, or rat), read a little and hit the hay.

The one thing I will always stop for is swimming opportunities, nothing beats a cold swim for me...love it.

Del Q
03-29-2011, 21:20
I am a slow-walking section hiker, average about 12 miles/day, am enjoying having little to NO PLANS for each day. I carry a tent and have enjoyed hiking though later in the day vs stopping at like 4pm with hours left in the day with little to do. Love finding cool stealth spots to camp. Also quit cooking so I do not need a lot of water or a water supply near-by.

I try to stop at every great overlook and take breaks when I am tired.

Guess it is my body weight (235-240lbs currently) but I just have not gotten to being able to hike at a fast pace over a long period of time, and I work out a lot.

My day usually starts around 8am and ends an hour or so before sunset. My AT hikes are my personal vacations and I manage as such, slow and easy and fun!

Datto
04-03-2011, 19:41
On my thru-hike in Georgia I didn't get up very early but in Maine I'd be up and hiking at or before sunrise. A northbounder gets used to living outdoors by Maine and time with sunlight is more precious in Maine.

I took a nap every day. In Georgia and North Carolina I took it at 11am to 1pm. In Virginia when it got hot, I was in shade from noon to 4pm (too dang hot to hike) and napped during that time. Sometimes I napped in the rain sitting upright on a rock with my mylar blanket overtop of me like I did in Connecticut a a few times (I could sleep upright with earplugs on to block out the racket from rain hitting the mylar blanket).

In Maine I would regularly be asleep and out cold in 45 seconds from the time I put my head down. When I'd wake up the next morning, it'd seem like it was only a few seconds. A couple of times people had told me the next day they were still talking to me the night before when they turned around and realized I was already asleep.

Somewhere along about Maryland I started getting up and hiking before I had breakfast, then just stopped on a rock 45 minutes after the start of hiking to eat something for breakfast. That got me moving out faster in the morning.

A few times I hiked past sunset -- maybe 6-10 days total. Got to be too dangerous -- it's steep on the AT and you could bust a tooth. If you night hiked in Pennsylvania, you could bust a noggin'.

Datto

ShelterLeopard
04-03-2011, 20:45
Although I shoot for 30 miles everyday, I usually end up somewhere between 0.5 and 23 miles.

Ha- I enjoyed this whole post Pony!